• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom focused on Monster Hunter: World for West, won't commit to MH:XX localization

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Yeah, having this thread so that the elitist babies that like inferior archaic mechanics can cry wihout bothering the playerbase that matters is a good thing, tbh.

One more IP for the good guys.

You're sarcastic, right? It's hard to know after some of the comments I've seen in the last day.

Wait can't I still buy it non localized from the eshop? I mean, I can't understand Japanese but I can still play it.

As someone who imported XX and is not a Japanese speaker let me tell you it is quite daunting to dive deep into the game without the luxury of understanding the language.

That said, I am tempted to double dip on the Switch... Damnit Capcom you were doing so well with this franchise in the West. It almost felt like we were on our way to simultaneous worldwide releases.

Oh well...

orochi91

You folks are impatient.

Surely they'll get around to localizing the game when they feel the time is right.

That or Nintendo will pay for localization if the demand is there from NSW owners.

I didn't think Capcom would NTR Nintendo like this.

What a shame. I feel bad for the fans :(

Those two companies have a long and successful relationship, Capcom will not NTR Nintendo.

Cuburt

Now that I think about it. Didn't Capcom say something about adding the RE engine on Switch?

I believe they were interested, said it was possible, and have possibly already done some work in porting it over, and yet we have 0 indication that it will amount of any more support at this moment.

Clearly XX wasn't made on the RE engine.

You folks are impatient.

Surely they'll get around to localizing the game when they feel the time is right.

That or Nintendo will pay for localization if the demand is there from NSW owners.
Yet World is getting a worldwide release apparently, and the Xbox has no indication of even having an audience for the game.

Sounds like a patient, safe move for Capcom. /s

Monster Hunter Stories is coming to the states soon, right? Perhaps we will hear more about XX afterwards.

It is scary how that rumor from months ago is so accurate.

vareon

Is Sony going to allow Crossplay? Serious question.

Not being able to crossplay PS4/PC and the (potential) loss of local multiplayer Monhun is what hurts the most. I hope at least one of them is corrected, either crossplay or XX Switch is localized.

Can we stop talking about that idiotic rumor now? It's wrong on enough things that the unprovable bits shouldn't be treated as gospel. I'll go through it so maybe we can just stop pretending it deserves to be repeated.
1477622794517.jpg

mh5_ps4.jpg
mh5_ps4-2.jpg
The first one gets the name right for MHXX. We know that in Japan the game is completely exclusive to PS4, so the veracity of the next bit is questionable. We know MH5 is not open world, so that next part is wrong. There will be missions and town hubs. The next bit cannot be proven or disproven, just like any indications of internal strife or backroom dealings.

The next picture is more obviously bullshit. MHW is being worked on by the core MH team.
MHW will not be removing any weapon types. Impressions of E3 goers who saw the demo did not reflect significant reductions in complexity of the combat. The rest (well, all of it really) is baseless speculation.

The third picture is just doubling down on the shit we know is wrong. We know the game has/emphasizes gathering, though it may be streamlined. No evidence of QTEs in the footage shown. They showed a new monster, but no shit they'd bring in legacy monsters. Not open world, no local co-op is a no-brainer. Coming out on xbox.

This rumor is bullshit. I'm sure someone else has already made this post, but I felt compelled after seeing how many people assumed MHW is westernized shit because of it, or that a shadow team is working in secret on the REAL MH despite the literal assertion from Capcom that it's the next mainline entry.

... I have concerns about World but was gonna buy it to support the series- I haven't missed an entry since the PSP days, and have even imported consoles to play japanese releases before they got here. The problem is that my local group of hunters don't/can't play the Japanese versions due to language issues, so if we don't get XX at all.... that means my group is stuck on MHX and I imagine we'll just stop meeting up after a point. Fuck Capcom if this is true, def won't buy World in this case.

(to be clear, I think World sounds like a good product for people that aren't already knee-deep in MH, but the idea that irl groups like mine will no longer have an option- that's a deal breaker for me.)

ryechu

Disappointing as fuck. I was excited to play both. The prospect of portable monster hunter with decent controls and resolution, so I could grind solo hunts in my bed was hyping me up for mhxx.

R0ckman

DMC all over again.Alienate your original fanbase, in hope another will arrive.

But how many "hardcore" players are the fanbase? What about people who play because they like co-op? What about people who play because they like the designs, what about people who play because they like the armor and weapon variety?

What fraction of the players actually care enough to complain about fine tuning arcahiac mechanics?

Tengrave

I don't understand this thread at all. It started on PS2 to PSP to Wii to 3DS. No fanbase is being screwed here and it's "not a bad look". Everybody wins now. If the franchise can grow in the right direction on more powerful hardware why be against it? We have all options but Nintendo. Hell, we used to have to buy a goddamn add on just to get another stick to use the camera correctly. No more.

Kinsei

Banned
I don't understand this thread at all. It started on PS2 to PSP to Wii to 3DS. No fanbase is being screwed here and it's "not a bad look". Everybody wins now. If the franchise can grow in the right direction on more powerful hardware why be against it? We have all options but Nintendo. Hell, we used to have to buy a goddamn add on just to get another stick to use the camera correctly. No more.

There's a game that's already been made that they're refusing to bring over for asinine reasons. How is that hard to understand?

Nightii

Banned
But how many "hardcore" players are the fanbase? What about people who play because they like co-op? What about people who play because they like the designs, what about prople who play because they like the armor and weapon variety?

What fraction of the players actually care enough to complain about fine tuning arcahiac mechanics?
Not the right amount, so they don't deserve a popular and succesful IP, those are for the masses.

Also yes, all the mechanics they like are objectively inferior and they should feel bad for liking them, stifling Progress. /s

Busaiku

The portable fans, those that made the series a household name, are being screwed.

brinstar

No one is asking for MH World to go anywhere. MH World is happening, it's coming out and we're happy. We're also asking for them to localize MHXX, a real game that exists that some of us would like to play. This isn't hard

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink

Are you serious? We're asking for the localization of their latest game and you're acting like it's bad to get it and that we should just shut up and play MHW instead of caring about MHXX.

I've seen trailers for previous Monster Hunter games and I like the changes made to World like the more grounded aesthetics and simplification.

Nightii

Banned
The Right Direction eh? I see what you mean by that.

Guess Capcom is thinking about the children too, bless them.

The portable fans, those that made the series a household name, are being screwed.

I mean but it's not though. Generations sold a little over 300,000 here. It sold over 3 million in Japan. You have to also remember that the install base of the switch while big for the amount of time it has been out is still small overall and 90% or more of those people aren't going to buy that game just like they didn't by the others.

I'm saying this as someone that has bought and played all of the games released here and who wishes it will show up here eventually which we still don't know as fact that it's not. We still have 2 more days of E3 and it could come early next year or anytime before that.

Rncewind

There's a game that's already been made that they're refusing to bring over for asinine reasons. How is that hard to understand?

i guess he is refrering to posts like this which makes up a good amount of this thread

Nintendo even worked with Capcom and listened to their needs when developing the Switch.

What has Nintendo got to show for that partnership?

A quick port of SF2 HD Remix and a XX port for Japan?

Unprecedented partnership.

I didn't think Capcom would NTR Nintendo like this.

i know the topic is not about that but gaf is being gaf, rather about who is betraying who instead about games

for me XX could release on PC and i would be happy

Tripon

What if those fans weren't enough for them to be successful to the level they need to be?

This is the same company that literally took the tens of millions of profit they made with Monster Hunter 4 and created a mobile studio with it that created flop after flop. If Monster Hunter isn't a success, then Capcom will eventually go bankrupt.

Air

Banned
What if those fans weren't enough for them to be successful to the level they need to be?

It's bad business to remove a source of income for the prospect of another. Maybe they'll still put out smaller monster hunter games for handhelds, but they're playing a difficult game and nothing great comes from abandoning your audience

Tengrave

I can't buy that. I am with you, I absoutlely loved my time with the portable versions but that's not all they have had. We can't discount Tri or Frontier as brand builders. I also don't buy that double cross was the one thing the "fans" wanted more. Not getting a game Japan here sucks. It does. That justifies being upset but a large portion of this thread is extreme hyperbole for no real reasons besides "I just really really wanted XX more than anything new they could offer even in the future." Also there is no reason to believe MHW is dumbed down in anyway based off any current knowledge, but that's for the main MHW topic.

Mik317

again why are people acting like they will NEVER bring over XX? The statement in the OP is standard PR speak. He was never going to give an answer that announced XX right then and there.

what is happening today? I am super confused.

Yes, lets say they don't ever bring it over and this is it for portable titles....that is bad and worth trashing them over. But as of right now, we aren't certain of it and we probably won't get answers right now either way. So why get so upset?

Contrary to popular belief telling someone to go fuck themselves is not constructive criticism worth a damn... tweeting at capcom about how much they suck or how they should go die probably goes right into the trashbin. Its funny to see such in multiple threads today billed as such. People around here go straight off the deep in all in the name of "criticism".

Relax. X took a while to get localized too. Hell...E3 isn't even over.

Kinsei

Banned
I wonder how much World needs to sell in order for it to be a success to Capcom

It all depends on if Capcom has reasonable expectations for it or not. Ideally they should be happy with 2 mil worldwide but knowing them they're probably expecting 6mil+

Tratorn

Can we stop talking about that idiotic rumor now? It's wrong on enough things that the unprovable bits shouldn't be treated as gospel. I'll go through it so maybe we can just stop pretending it deserves to be repeated.

This rumor is bullshit. I'm sure someone else has already made this post, but I felt compelled after seeing how many people assumed MHW is westernized shit because of it, or that a shadow team is working in secret on the REAL MH despite the literal assertion from Capcom that it's the next mainline entry.

Thank you, I wanted to do something similiar but you saved me the work. It's annoying that some people are still quoting this "rumour" even though many of these things were false.

Busaiku

I can't buy that. I am with you, I absoutlely loved my time with the portable versions but that's not all they have had. We can't discount Tri or Frontier as brand builders. I also don't buy that double cross was the one thing the "fans" wanted more. Not getting a game Japan has sucks. That justifies being upset but a large portion of this thread is extreme hyperbole for no real reasons besides "I just really really wanted XX more than anything new they could offer even in the future."
Even compared to Tri, all the 3DS games sold more outside of Japan.
Frontier was never released outside of Japan and was completely irrelevant in it. Tri and Portable 3rd HD weren't irrelevant in Japan, but even then, the western performance of the 3DS games were better than the Japanese performances of those. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate performed better on 3DS than Wii U, even outside of Japan.

wildfire

Banned
I don’t know how much the rest of you know about Monster Hunter culture (I’m an expert), but skill and shame are huge parts of it. It’s not like it is in Konami, where you can become successful by being an ***hole. If you screw someone over by not localizing, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the Monster Hunter community, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Monster Hunter Worlds for either system, nor will they purchase any of Capcom’s games (lol). This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Capcom has alienated an entire fanbase with this move.

Capcom, publicly apologize and announce the localization of Monster Hunter XX in the West or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Doubly funny because it's not sarcastic like the other versions. This is all too true.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
It all depends on if Capcom has reasonable expectations for it or not. Ideally they should be happy with 2 mil worldwide but knowing them they're probably expecting 6mil+

Weren't they expecting 2mil q1 2018 according to their latest report?

I don’t know how much the rest of you know about Monster Hunter culture (I’m an expert), but skill and shame are huge parts of it. It’s not like it is in Konami, where you can become successful by being an ***hole. If you screw someone over by not localizing, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the Monster Hunter community, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Monster Hunter Worlds for either system, nor will they purchase any of Capcom’s games (lol). This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Capcom has alienated an entire fanbase with this move.

Capcom, publicly apologize and announce the localization of Monster Hunter XX in the West or you can kiss your business goodbye.

GOD I LOVE E3

Cuburt

The first one gets the name right for MHXX. We know that in Japan the game is completely exclusive to PS4, so the veracity of the next bit is questionable. We know MH5 is not open world, so that next part is wrong. There will be missions and town hubs. The next bit cannot be proven or disproven, just like any indications of internal strife or backroom dealings.

The next picture is more obviously bullshit. MHW is being worked on by the core MH team.
MHW will not be removing any weapon types. Impressions of E3 goers who saw the demo did not reflect significant reductions in complexity of the combat. The rest (well, all of it really) is baseless speculation.

The third picture is just doubling down on the shit we know is wrong. We know the game has/emphasizes gathering, though it may be streamlined. No evidence of QTEs in the footage shown. They showed a new monster, but no shit they'd bring in legacy monsters. Not open world, no local co-op is a no-brainer. Coming out on xbox.

The first picture hardly has been debunked, in fact all we know only makes it seem more true:

-XX name was proven correct
-MH5 might not have been final, could have been negotiated (Sony seemed to make a deal for FF XIV to be numbered, exclusive game when XIII had come out not even that long before) and Capcom got cold feet not wanting to alienate their core base (because that would have been really stupid no matter how much money Sony was trying to pay for a numbered exclusive aimed at a Western audience).
-World being exclusive on PS4 in Japan and not on the Switch, while being on PC and Xbox, makes the next two points seem plausible, they paid for exclusivity in Japan since they are "desperate for Japan". And of course they would forbid Nintendo because they want to steal their base for the game, especially if the part about trying to make it MH5 is true. In fact, part of the naming of MH5 could be supported by the original team being involved. Most here have seemed to assume that to be true due to who is involved, despite not having a number.
-Gameplay could have been speculation about open world, such as if it's doesn't have the same sort of "arena" layout of the map but open areas you can travel across without loading. Timers seem to be gone. Missions can be formatted differently. We also don't know how much of the old combat with remain, but this seems more action focused from what we've seen. Music is taken from the cooking seems to be a change to make it more accessible to the west, we haven't seen characters like Felynes or more fantastical, light-hearted additions. Combat could have certainly been streamlined, simplified, or altered from the traditional formula to appeal to new fans.
-MH Portable is still stuff we have 0 knowledge of but if it exists, it would make sense that it was indeed MH5

The second sounds like lots of speculation (always has) but if it is indeed the same person it could fill in a lot of the blanks about what is going on in this situation.

Top Bottom