• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom focused on Monster Hunter: World for West, won't commit to MH:XX localization

mas8705

Honestly makes little sense to not do this. You already have Stories on the way, and you also have World coming next year: why not just localize the game that people want too? Have fans buy even more Monster Hunter so that they can play XX or Stories on the go and then when they get home, let them continue to play XX or let them go into World for their high end MH experience?

Call me crazy, but I'm not giving my hopes up quite yet. Probably would be better off to do that though at this point...

Fukuzatsu

Until I see AAI2 or the two Dai Gyakuten Saiban games over here, I have zero faith in their followthough.

Not relevant to AAI2, but I would not envy the team in charge of a potential DGS localisation. That script is so Japanese (in a linguistic way) it's not even funny. A lot of the historical theming and literary stuff would be a nightmare, though I guess Holmes-related content wouldn't be a problem.

Tis a shame, all that work they've done over the years curating 'western' MH fans on Nintendo platforms.

I think it's a mistake to ignore that group when you actually have a game releasing on the system that could easily satisfy them while you also try and expand things on the other ones.

Do they honestly think a translated XX would hurt sales/focus of World that much? :\

Even though I'm hyped for World, I wish they'd give us both. I would understand if they didn't want to announce two games in the same series at one show, but it would still sell plenty on Switch.

stoff

Well, the rumor said Capcom's deal with Sony is all about the western market.
Is it likely that this deal actually forbids any Monster Hunter presence in the west outside the PS platform?
(Stories was likely already underway)

Well, the rumor said Capcom's deal with Sony is all about the western market.
Is it likely that this deal actually forbids any Monster Hunter presence in the west outside the PS platform?
(Stories was likely already underway)

World is on Xbox as well, and coming to PC too.

redcrayon

I really don't see the logic in not releasing xx in the west when it's already been made and most of the localisation was done for generations.

Am I supposed to be encouraged to think 'despite mainly playing on portables I'll go and buy a PS4 and this game I'm not interested in', because that would have worked a lot better if they hadn't unveiled the MH game I do want two weeks earlier. As it is, I'm more likely to just import xx.

I do think Worlds is a great idea for the series to grow as a whole, and can't imagine they'll kill off the portable games entirely, but the timing is just a bit odd.

Asd202

Capcom is so weird and stupid sometimes it's mind-boggling. Anyway I hope MH: World will turn out to be the best MH yet just to see more salt :p.

Effect

World is on Xbox as well, and coming to PC too.

This is why I'm hesitant to toss crap at Sony. It's on the XBO and PC as well. Now unless Sony just didn't want anything on the Switch, especially in the west and didn't care about PC or Xbox and wrote a check in that direction, this is all on Capcom. They're the ones seemingly saying "to hell with you" to everyone that bought the 3DS games, those in the west that allowed for the series to sell decently to well here and were looking forward to it on the Switch where they could play at home and on the go in HD (what Capcom supposedly wanted right!?). Even if it was Sony I'd still have issue with Capcom agreeing to such a deal.

There's not a single angle here I'm seeing which doesn't result in Fuck Capcom. I don't even have an issue with World itself. It looks really nice. It might end up turning out well. My issue is Capcom, their actions as a whole and what they're doing with XX and how they're treating the Switch in the west.

NSESN

Of course it isn't on Sony. Capcom did the same with MHP3rd, AAI2 and GAA. And that is forgetting when they cancelled Megaman legends.

Alboreo

I'm hype for MH:World, it looks amazing to me despite some obvious changes. I'm still really disappointed by this decision, though. When XX was announced for the Switch it sounded perfect: A new title (for the US), in HD, on a 'handheld' that I already own. The 3DS version is exciting, but the idea of playing it on the Switch resonated really well with me. I'm sincerely disappointed that they, as far as we know, don't have plans to localize it. I hope that it's all just meant as a surprise for GDC or something but I guess I won't hold my breath.

I'm not one of the fans who is saying that they're leaving the franchise, I have a PS4 and a gaming PC so I will absolutely play World. I was just really hype to play it on my Switch.

Any chance Capcom pulls a 180 and localizes the game if enough people complain?

My gut says "no" based on their track-record, but who knows?

Edit: I also want to add that the announcement of "Stories" for the west really gave me hope that they were dedicated to bringing every title here from that point on, given that it's the first spinoff we've received afaik. Still have hope, though.

HeeHo

I never really thought about how it's coming to Xbox and PC as well. That really does water-down the money hat argument.

I still think it is coming, despite the tweets by Socks. Maybe with the odd schedule of the Switch releasing they haven't even bothered trying to localize it yet? I dunno. Seems crazy to not port it over which is why I think it will happen. Seems to make business sense, unless they don't have the current man power for translating? Seems like that would be an easy thing to fix though.

I have always wanted an MH game on more powerful systems and Capcom gave me exactly what I wanted, but it's odd. With everyone uncertain about whether it's coming, I suddenly find myself wanting this game more than Worlds. :B

Capcom is the same company that announced Breath of Fire 6 as a mobile loot RPG with the same aesthetics as some sort of low budget Korean MMO.

They don't give a fuck.

Thoraxes

Debating the difference between XX, double-Cross, and Cross Cross is stupid lol. That part was definitely accurate.

It's pretty easy to see why someone would use the abbreviation over the full name, something we do for almost every game.

According to now the official MHW thread, it basically was MH5 in title till they decided not to use it and call it World instead.

Casualizing the combat for western audiences is seen in the more recent theatre impressions. All the zones are open ended now with no loading screens, so while not open world, they're all open sandboxes.

Basically that rumor had a lot of information in it that sure was like 95% on the mark in terms of what was announced, and what's more impressive is that they were just told that stuff offhand from a friend. Imagine if they got documentation, that 95% would be 100%.

So hopefully they announce MH5 in 2018 at TGS.

Alboreo

I have always wanted an MH game on more powerful systems and Capcom gave me exactly what I wanted, but it's odd. With everyone uncertain about whether it's coming, I suddenly find myself wanting this game more than Worlds. :B

I'm kinda in the same boat. I've always wanted what Worlds appears to be as well, but XX was also really exciting in its own way. I don't want a better-looking game at the expense of portability entirely, if that makes sense. I like the idea of handheld versions (or at least Switch versions) alongside a "Worlds" series, but I don't think that's what's happening. I could be wrong and hopefully I am.

How is Mega Man Legends 3?

Yeah, this is what I was alluding to, alongside their treatment of Breath of Fire and Monster Hunter back in the day when we honestly didn't know that we'd get more titles. Capcom doesn't really care what we think, afaik. Look what they did to Lost Planet, too- they took a franchise that was at least enjoyed by a decent population and then totally changed it into something else that no one liked, killing it dead.

Effect

Any chance Capcom pulls a 180 and localizes the game if enough people complain?

Nope. They've never done that before.

I'm looking at Capcom's words and actions in the past. This why I do not believe there is an announcement coming later. This is why I think that the franchise is actually gone from Nintendo hardware once XX releases in Japan. Capcom is one of the companies that would have been fully aware of the Switch while it was in development. We know this is true because they had changes made to it. They'd be among the first to get dev kits, maybe before some internal Nintendo teams. Yet World was seemingly designed to not include the Switch which was clearly being position as a replacement for the 3DS. That's what is standing out to me right now. That's where the big red light is flashing right now.

tuffy

Nope. They've never done that before.

I'm looking at Capcom's words and actions in the past. This why I do not believe there is an announcement coming later. This is why I think that the franchise is actually gone from Nintendo hardware once XX releases in Japan. Capcom is one of the companies that would have been fully aware of the Switch while it was in development. We know this is true because they had changes made to it. They'd be among the first to get dev kits, maybe before some internal Nintendo teams. Yet World was seemingly designed to not include the Switch which was clearly being position as a replacement for the 3DS. That's what is standing out to me right now. That's where the big red light is flashing right now.
Leaving Nintendo hardware for good would be a typically Capcom-ian move to make. In Japan where ad-hoc multiplayer is king and home consoles have been waning for years, Monster Hunter games are surely going to sell worse than they did on the 3DS. So that leaves the hope of an expanded western audience to make up the difference. And if that audience doesn't materialize, they're screwed.

Continuing to make portable titles on Nintendo hardware ("Monster Hunter Y", "World 2", or whatever) would be more sensible as a reliable source of income. But Capcom thinking their strategy through seems like the exception rather than the rule.

Eolz

Gamespot is reporting confirmation on no localization.
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/e3-2017-capcom-not-bringing-switch-version-of-mons/1100-6450954/

Any news from Capcom Community Peoples?

Well now people can stop with the "this CM just said "for now", it"ll happen later!" and start pushing Capcom for it.
That's really sad, baffling and irritating. Really a bad move for the franchise in the west when we started getting spinoffs and games with good support.

zulux21

Gamespot is reporting confirmation on no localization.
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/e3-2017-capcom-not-bringing-switch-version-of-mons/1100-6450954/

Any news from Capcom Community Peoples?

after the other's day click news from gamespot. I really don't think it is wise to trust any hot topic coming from them.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1391188&highlight=gamespot

that being said we do know that capcom has said they don't have plans right now, that doesn't mean they aren't. I mean we are in a large thread about that :p

so this is likely
neogaf to gamespot (make it sound worse than it was) to neogaf. with them maybe contacting someone to get the same response that is in the OP.

Cuburt

Well now people can stop with the "this CM just said "for now", it"ll happen later!" and start pushing Capcom for it.
That's really sad, baffling and irritating. Really a bad move for the franchise in the west when we started getting spinoffs and games with good support.

Yeah, thread title needs an update.

Capcom has made it clear they give 0 fucks about XX coming to the West.

Ever since reveal I've always though Switch was the perfect platform for MH.

Go out gathering etc in portable mode on lunch at work. Craft etc.

Come home and take down monsters on the big screen.

I wonder if maybe they will bring a new game to Switch with some of the enhancements from World (like no loading between areas)

Chauzu

The repeated confirmation and double downs by Capcom that no, the Switch version doesn't exist. And have no plans of doing so whatsoever. They are pretty much all in with MHW.

I believe they are all in with MHW... For the west.

I know Capcom are stupid but there is no way they kill a portable series which pulls out 3m sells in Japan on a regular basis.

Top Bottom