• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom France: The Great Ace Attorney is not planned to come West right now

To be fair, this is the same sort of PR statement you'd hear from any company about a game whose Western localization has not been announced, even if it was being planned behind the scenes. The fact that AA6's localization has been announced itself is the more troublesome fact.

Speaking broadly, and not in reference to this particular game, there are cases where making Japan-only games makes sense. The most obvious cases would be licensed games, where you're making an anime/manga tie-in to a franchise with limited if any visibility outside Japan.
Yeah, I thought about putting a qualifier like that in but it harmed the flow of the sentence.

Kinsei

Banned
Ok no fuck this, you know what we should do guys?
We should let Capcom know through social media that we'll boycott AA6 unless they translate DGS as well.
Let's not this let this go the AAI2 route, let's change their mind.

Then instead of only getting the mainline games we'll get no AA in the west. What a fantastic idea.

We should let Capcom know through social media that we'll boycott AA6 unless they translate DGS as well.

No, this is the worst idea I have ever heard.

Chase17

Umm... I get what you're going for but I don't think that's the best way to go about it.

Jintor

All they have to do is imply that Phoenix's family was from Japan and then it migrated to America.
Just call the main character ''Ryu Raito'' and then say that the Raito family changed its name to Wright in order to integrate more to American society.
How is that hard? Are we really gonna miss out on Takumi's latest project for such a dumb reason?
problem solved!

also nobody really cares about the localisation of japanifornia capcom, just give us the damn game. it's got sherlock holmes and watson in it.

Foffy

Banned
At least fan translations are a thing, now. Now if only the community didn't try to translate games confirmed to be coming here and targeting the games we miss/will miss. I can think of quite a few games we won't see in English otherwise.

I had a strong feeling this wouldn't come, as they were crazy quick to announce localizations of AA5 and AA6, but this was bathed in silence..

mrmickfran

Jebus...

I'll trade AA6 localization for DGS
aoz8kgx8pzknypz7z38n.jpg

Vibranium

Banned
If only XSEED could come to the rescue and bless us with DGS and AAI2. The fan translation for latter is excellent and there will be one for the former, but I would still love official localizations. I know Capcom mostly does them internally but c'mon, they could always get someone else to do it.

FluxWaveZ

I think the important question to consider for any uncertainty is why they would be talking about an AA6 localization so openly right when it was announced before saying anything about DGS. Bringing up PLvPW to this point is absolutely meaningless.

There are two possibilities I can see:

1. They are localizing AA6 and not DGS.
2. They are localizing both games, but want to keep DGS' localization under wraps for now.

One of those makes sense, while the other doesn't, purely due to when DGS was released and when AA6 will be. Reasoning for #2 would either be that they want to have DGS' localization be more of a surprise than AA6's (why?) or they will be releasing DGS after AA6 (why?).

Whether it's a generic PR message or not, there's nothing that truly makes sense other than "Unfortunately the game isn't planned for a Western release."

Velcro Fly

i can't believe that in 2015 these sort of things are still happening

i'm not shocked by it. i expected it when the game released and nothing was said about a localization beforehand.

i'm happy to get AA6 though. but i'm always greedy and want more.

FluxWaveZ

i'm happy to get AA6 though. but i'm always greedy and want more.

I don't know if it's greed. We're the ones who would be paying for the game if it was made available to us. As fans for a heavily story based series that has been going on for so long, it kind of becomes a question of respect for those who anticipate and support these games.

It has to solely be a matter of sales, right? AAI was a long time ago. I would really love to know just how poorly or well they think DGS would sell in the West compared to the other games. They obviously think it's not worth the localization effort because they believe it wouldn't be sufficient, but is that the reality of things?

I've finished the game and it is a BITCH to localize, much more so than any of the previous games.

One of the obvious problems is that they Americanized the previous games, and DGS is VERY obviously about Japanese people going to Britain, and all of the problems that involves (language barriers and racism among others), not to mention a famous Japanese author plays a significant role in one of the biggest cases in the game, which would be totally lost on 99% of the Western audience.

To be honest, I'd be very surprised if they ever localized this.

Just say that Phoenix has Japanese ancestors and add a history blurb on the author in the game's manual if needed.

Obviously the best case scenario would've been not writing themselves into a hole by pretending the series took place in California in the first place, but it's too late for that.

What?! It's got Sherlock Holmes in it! If they just market that, the game will print money in the West! Even nonfans of the series would be enticed to it by the Holmes.

Garraboa

If it makes you all feel better, a fan-translation of DGG is in the works (won't link). I'd suggest setting a 3DS aside in the event of wanting to import and Ninty's patching of regionfour.

Added "right now" eh? :) I see you are a bit optimistic, but I'm not. Capcom USA's relationship with this series has always been really testy. When your VP has to break down doors like a madman to get anything going with it it's not a good look.

This is kind of dramatic when you stop and think and realize that out of all the AA games it's only been one spinoff that hasn't been brought over.

That said, I'm not holding my breath for DGS.

Jawmuncher

When it comes to capcom, it kills me to see MonHun doing so well in the west and getting retail releases. Since they kept pushing for it as the series went on. While on the other hand AA seems to have regressed and they try less with it.

When it comes to capcom, it kills me to see MonHun doing so well in the west and getting retail releases. Since they kept pushing for it as the series went on. While on the other hand AA seems to have regressed and they try less with it.

You know what would be a good start? Releasing it on Android in the West.

That they haven't so far is all the proof I need that Capcom cares not one fuck about the series out of Japan.

But it has new systems like an actual jury! We can't let such an innovative installment with a cool ass setting slip through our fingers!

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.

Really???? Really????

By saying that you don't know the history of the Ace Attorney Franchise. When it was originally released in North America in October 2005, it sold a paltry 13,000 copies. The game sold so terribly that Capcom basically said the franchise was dead. For those of us who know that there were 2 other games in the series, this was a blow.

The people who bought the first 13,000 copies loved the game so much we wanted more people to play the game, so we let our friends borrow it, we bought multiple copies for our friends and family.

Something happened.....

Several months later, the first print run sells out. Then the game starts selling for sky high prices on ebay, so Capcom does an second emergency print run. They they did a third print run, and a fourth print run until the game sold over 140,000 copies. After that, they announced that they were localizing the other two games.

It was the hardcore fans who bought the first 13,000 copies who tried desperately to save this weird lawyer game they bought in October 2005. There was a period after the game was released that it was a sales bomb and it had no future. It was only because the fans were so determined to save Ace Attorney that they eventually released the rest of the franchise.

So for a franchise all about the turnabouts, it was the fans who did the first great turnabout.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
We would need a full speed emulator or flash cart that works on newer firmware for people to use any translation patch.

If someone manages to completely break into the 3DS' security systems, it might also be possible to install a patch to the 3DS itself that can be applied to a physical copy, no? Imo this would be the ideal solution in absence of a west release. I still hope that this will happen after the 3DS sucessor is out (so it does not damage the market for 3DS games while it is important).

SephLuis

1. They are localizing AA6 and not DGS.
2. They are localizing both games, but want to keep DGS' localization under wraps for now.

One of those makes sense, while the other doesn't, purely due to when DGS was released and when AA6 will be. Reasoning for #2 would either be that they want to have DGS' localization be more of a surprise than AA6's (why?) or they will be releasing DGS after AA6 (why?).

My only guess for case #2 is that they want to release AA6 worldwide simultaneously.
Then after the project is done and the translation team is free again, they can work on DGS.

I've finished the game and it is a BITCH to localize, much more so than any of the previous games.

One of the obvious problems is that they Americanized the previous games, and DGS is VERY obviously about Japanese people going to Britain, and all of the problems that involves (language barriers and racism among others), not to mention a famous Japanese author plays a significant role in one of the biggest cases in the game, which would be totally lost on 99% of the Western audience.

How much of a bitch it would be to read the game ? A lot of difficult kanji ? Furigana ?
I studied 5 years of japanese, but my kanji reading isn't good right now. And I am pretty sure this title wouldn't have VA.

GamerJM

Banned
I read that some people are working on a Fire Emblem Fates fantranslation right now somehow

Also wasn't there a project for Dragon Quest VII 3DS where they just inserted the PS1 version's script?

No reason to stop asking.

It's obvious from today's announcement that a lot of fans are still hoping for DGS in English, and it's time to let Capcom know that.

dumbyugi

Ideally we'd be getting both, but if I had to choose 1 it would be AA6. Of course I'd rather not have to pick one to start with.

I'm not sure that'd really be too much of an issue. The Ace Attorney series is already very Japanese, and I don't think that's done much to chase away its potential audience (at least, the portion of it that is already okay with anime-styled characters). If anything keeps this game from coming to America, I have to imagine that it'd be Capcom's lack of faith in the franchise (in the west) and not the fact that it has more transparently-Japanese characters than usual.

Capcom USA executives wake up from nightmares where they imagine someone playing the Monster Village case from AA5 and going to the internet to tell everyone that the game was from Japan and sales just dropping like a rock.

I think literally 0 people would care if Capcom retconned the series back to Japan with no explanation or anything of the sort.

Not once have I thought that my experience was enhanced by the false front of a western local. I just consider it Japan anyway.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt

But is there anything that couldn't easily be written out of the game that would contradict the other Ace Attorney games if they just kept the characters Japanese in the western version? It's not like Japanese people are ruining a game for western players...

FluxWaveZ

I think literally 0 people would care if Capcom retconned the series back to Japan with no explanation or anything of the sort.

Not once have I thought that my experience was enhanced by the false front of a western local. I just consider it Japan anyway.

I disagree with this. As it was said in the other thread:
It would be a shame to miss out on the name puns at first glance, though. And while it's by no means impossible to appreciate the series without it, the Japanifornia contrivance is endearing.
And there are a lot of people who think this, including me. But if it meant getting the spin-offs in the series? I would take it.

But, fundamentally, it's just that no one cares about the fact that a spin-off may take place in Japan while the main series takes place in "America." A throwaway excuse for DGS taking place in Japan would be all it would take; it's not some complex problem.

Burai

shitonmychest57
What?! It's got Sherlock Holmes in it! If they just market that, the game will print money in the West! Even nonfans of the series would be enticed to it by the Holmes.

Sorry, but you have to be kidding.

RiKa0Hi.jpg

There's no way you're selling that to anyone not interested in AA already.

entremet

This is gonna be so weird.

So Shu Takumi's main team will be working on a franchise that we will never see as AA fans :(

Takumi isn't working on 6 right? Only DGS?

I just want the Takumi game. You can keep the B-tier AA5 team.

Where does this keep coming from?

Shu Takumi was behind Justice For All, a dire sequel propped up by the last case and Apollo Justice, arguably the most disdained installment in the franchise.

Meanwhile that B-tier team made AAI2, which is regarded as one of the best games in the series.

DGS is top tier and a loss for the West, but let's not get carried away.

I disagree with this. As it was said in the other thread:

And there are a lot of people who think this, including me. But if it meant getting the spin-offs in the series? I would take it.

But, fundamentally, it's just that no one cares about the fact that a spin-off may take place in Japan while the main series takes place in "America." A throwaway excuse for DGS taking place in Japan would be all it would take; it's not some complex problem.
The fact that it's being used as a possible excuse to skip DGS is the most egregious aspect of it.

The way they bend over backwards to keep it up is beyond silly, and they wouldn't have to drop the name puns. I wouldn't expect them to start calling Phoenix Naruhodou at this stage. But having to explain stuff like Youkai village with ridiculous stretches of logic is wearing really thin.

Zalman

Where does this keep coming from?

Shu Takumi was behind Justice For All, a dire sequel propped up by the last case and Apollo Justice, arguably the most disdained installment in the franchise.

Meanwhile that B-tier team made AAI2, which is regarded as one of the best games in the series.

DGS is top tier and a loss for the West, but let's not get carried away.
Yeah, I don't get it either. I mean, DGS is probably good, but I really dislike the direction Takumi went with AA4. I found 5 to be a huge improvement, and judging by the comments he made after the release of 5, I'm kind of glad he's not on the main series anymore.

I wish he would work on something entirely different. Ghost Trick was incredible.

Top Bottom