• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom France: The Great Ace Attorney is not planned to come West right now

mike4001_

Capcom should just make a Kickstarter !!

Just calculate what the game translation costs and make this the funding goal.

Make rewards where we get a 3DS game code and higher rewards with some goodies :)

They can only win by this :) (and even sell the game afterwards forever)

Shizuka

Capcom pls, just do it already. I bought both DD and Trilogy for the 3DS even though I knew I wouldn't play them anytime soon.

Joqu

No disrespect to anyone involved but if a fan translation happens I'm not even all that convinced it's gonna be a good one. I know I shouldn't judge just from a few posts and it's still early but I just took a look in that thread and there's some laughable stuff in there. :l

Quite impossible considering it hasn't even been 5 years since AAI2 came out in Japan (it was a 2011 release). I think it was about 3 and a half years or so?

I would expect a slightly longer wait for a fan translation this time, given that 3DS games are probably more difficult to hack than DS games.

AAI2 was not as highly demanded/desired as this one. I expect a full translation within 2 years. 3ds emulation is coming along, and we're about a year from a stable version. Getting a translation humming while we wait for emulation tools to mature won't be a problem. I'm gonna be donating once things pick up.

The western demographic has learned much from the previous run with AAI2. We'll push harder this time!

mike4001_

AAI2 was not as highly demanded/desired as this one. I expect a full translation within 2 years. 3ds emulation is coming along, and we're about a year from a stable version. Getting a translation humming while we wait for emulation tools to mature won't be a problem. I'm gonna be donating once things pick up.

The western demographic has learned much from the previous run with AAI2. We'll push harder this time!

Well, we already can play copied 3DS games. So this is done.

Someone just have to "unpack" the game, translate all text + images and "repack" it.

The problem is just that a group has to start the process and THEN we have to wait 2-3 years until it´s finished.

Raitaro

Call me a simplistic idiot but I'm thinking that it is morally dubious of companies like Capcom (and Nintendo for that matter, no matter what Chris Pranger had to say) - i.e. companies that seem to want to present themselves as serving a global customer base - to continue to make games that primarily serve their Japanese customers and as such are too challenging or risky to localize. We Western fans should not have to get anxious every time a new title is announced for release in Japan I feel, especially if we became fans of a series by the earlier release efforts of the same company that now keeps the newest iteration from us.

I get that not all Japanese titles are cost effective to localize (though in this case, when the Phoenix Wright fanbase seems to be solidified already, that shouldn't be a problem imo), but my point is why these titles are continued to be greenlit in the first place when the parent companies seem to want to serve a global market. Why not only make titles that can be released pretty much in all territories in other words, and why not release them in Japanese and English etc. around the same time? Make the Japanese fans wait for a change I'd even say. Either be a proud global company that serves all of its customers equally, or don't try to be a global company I'd argue; don't do it in such a half-hearted way.

If only the Western branches of companies like Capcom (or, again, Nintendo) had a bit more sway and could for instance pay for and order localizations (or full games even, like a new Metroid or F-Zero ordered by NOA for instance if they feel their market wants one) instead of them always having to bow down to the orders of the Japanese HQ who, again, only seem to care about their Japanese customers despite global aims...sigh...

Anyway, as someone who prefers to be able to collect and play every game in a series, the fact that were not getting AAI2 and now quite possibly this game is really, REALLY hampering my enjoyment of the Phoenix Wright series as a whole, almost to the point of not caring about 6 out of spite alone to be honest. Such a shame if we'll never see this Takumi directed game in the West.

Call me a simplistic idiot but I'm thinking that it is morally dubious of companies like Capcom (and Nintendo for that matter, no matter what Chris Pranger had to say) - i.e. companies that seem to want to present themselves as serving a global customer base - to continue to make games that primarily serve their Japanese customers and as such are too challenging or risky to localize.

Really? Japanese companies making games for Japanese consumers is a question of morality?

Add this to the pile including Kenzan, Ishin, Rhythm Tengoku, and Dragon Quest 7 3DS.

How much of a bitch it would be to read the game ? A lot of difficult kanji ? Furigana ?
I studied 5 years of japanese, but my kanji reading isn't good right now. And I am pretty sure this title wouldn't have VA.

It has some voiced dialogue, but it's mostly text. Lot of furigana, but some pretty esoteric vocabulary. It's easy if you're pretty fluent (N2, maybe?).

PolishQ

Call me a simplistic idiot but I'm thinking that it is morally dubious of companies like Capcom (and Nintendo for that matter, no matter what Chris Pranger had to say) - i.e. companies that seem to want to present themselves as serving a global customer base - to continue to make games that primarily serve their Japanese customers and as such are too challenging or risky to localize. We Western fans should not have to get anxious every time a new title is announced for release in Japan I feel, especially if we became fans of a series by the earlier release efforts of the same company that now keeps the newest iteration from us.

I get that not all Japanese titles are cost effective to localize (though in this case, when the Phoenix Wright fanbase seems to be solidified already, that shouldn't be a problem imo), but my point is why these titles are continued to be greenlit in the first place when the parent companies seem to want to serve a global market. Why not only make titles that can be released pretty much in all territories in other words, and why not release them in Japanese and English etc. around the same time? Make the Japanese fans wait for a change I'd even say. Either be a proud global company that serves all of its customers equally, or don't try to be a global company I'd argue; don't do it in such a half-hearted way.

If only the Western branches of companies like Capcom (or, again, Nintendo) had a bit more sway and could for instance pay for and order localizations (or full games even, like a new Metroid or F-Zero ordered by NOA for instance if they feel their market wants one) instead of them always having to bow down to the orders of the Japanese HQ who, again, only seem to care about their Japanese customers despite global aims...sigh...

Anyway, as someone who prefers to be able to collect and play every game in a series, the fact that were not getting AAI2 and now quite possibly this game is really, REALLY hampering my enjoyment of the Phoenix Wright series as a whole, almost to the point of not caring about 6 out of spite alone to be honest. Such a shame if we'll never see this Takumi directed game in the West.

Ermmm... Japanese creators should be able to make games that speak to their own culture / history. I take more issue with the apparent belief that because a game contains information about Japan, it's somehow doomed to fail in the West.

Who is this mystery consumer who refuses to buy a game about anime lawyers merely because it takes place in Japan?

FluxWaveZ

I guess, in the end, fan translators will pull through as they did for AAI2. We'll get to experience the game even if Capcom can't be bothered to do it themselves.

Pappasman

Where does this keep coming from?

Shu Takumi was behind Justice For All, a dire sequel propped up by the last case and Apollo Justice, arguably the most disdained installment in the franchise.

Meanwhile that B-tier team made AAI2, which is regarded as one of the best games in the series.

DGS is top tier and a loss for the West, but let's not get carried away.

I loved AA2 and Apollo Justice. AJ is probably one of my favorites in the series.

I don't particularly care for AA5, even if they did make AAI2.

SephLuis

It has some voiced dialogue, but it's mostly text. Lot of furigana, but some pretty esoteric vocabulary. It's easy if you're pretty fluent (N2, maybe?).

There's very little VA, yeah, just a bit in animated cutscenes, and your general Objections and Hold Its and whatnot.
It's not super hard Kanji-wise, if you studied the language for 5 years you should be good enough to follow what's going on.

Seems to me I can handle it.
Now to get money to buy the game and a region lock workaround.

Capcom France has been doing some damage control on twitter since then.

They are basically saying that DGS for the west is not planned as of yet since they are focused on releasing AA6, but they are going to take our feedback on board or something.

It's probably a bunch of nothing but the dream might not be totally dead (it probably totaly is though).
This is a good sign IMO.

They want feedback? Everyone keep sending it to them. Don't give up y'all.

Raitaro

Really? Japanese companies making games for Japanese consumers is a question of morality?

Oh boy, this won't make me any friends here but yes, I truly believe that it is a question of morals. It is morally wrong imo when those companies keep giving us the impression that they actually want to have an international customer base, to then again and again betray that customer base when it suits them best. They should not spin tales of being worldwide companies if they only serve one market first and then only dripfeed some of their output on a case by case basis (often based on problematic assumptions) to the other markets they themselves have entered and made fans in. Both Capcom and Nintendo (and perhaps most Japanese game companies) are guilty of that, I feel.

The reason why I use the word "morality" in this context is because I truly feel that someone who has spent time and money on a series that a publisher made available in their territory is entitled (yes, I'm going there) to be able to have his/her investment pay off by being able to buy and consume the other/final parts of that series. In other words, I deem it morally dubious or even wrong for a company to not stick to their word and finish releasing all parts in a series. This goes for all media by the way, as I have the same stance with tv series getting cancelled before their storylines were finished.

As an example, imagine how big the backlash would have been if Bloomsbury would have chosen to not release the last Harry Potter books outside of the UK (or give others the publishing rights) because they thought it was too British for those audiences (which compared to games wouldn't even have been that big of a problem as many could still buy and read the physical UK version, but bare with me for a second). How morally just/fair would people deem that to be, especially all of the fans outside of the UK who were invested in the series up till then (and who could only have become fans in the first place because those first books were released in their territories and because Bloomsbury wanted them as customers)? That is what's happening here, but in the world of games people actually seem to defend it because "Japanese companies serve the Japanese market first, duh," thereby ignoring 30+ years of Western activity by those very same companies and the masses of Western (but pretty much never the Japanese) fans they are leaving hanging with such decisions.

If companies like Capcom are being hypocritical by going back and forth between wanting to have an international customer base or not in terms of localizing games based on when it suits them, we as their customers should at least not blindly defend their choices for localization but instead call them out on their hypocritical stance, right?

Ermmm... Japanese creators should be able to make games that speak to their own culture / history. I take more issue with the apparent belief that because a game contains information about Japan, it's somehow doomed to fail in the West.

Who is this mystery consumer who refuses to buy a game about anime lawyers merely because it takes place in Japan?

Generally, yes, they should be able to. In cases like these though, I think they probably should not because they would be making a Japan-focused game while they are (A) operating under the umbrella of a company who wants us to believe they are serving a global audience and especially (B) while they are working within a series that already has fans outside of Japan.

I think creators like Takumi have at least some moral obligation to serve all of their established fans, not just their Japanese ones, so in that sense I'd argue that if they are consciously making something that in all probability would not be made available to a large part of their fanbase (for whatever dumb reason their employer/publisher comes up with), that they are contributing to ignoring or perhaps even betraying that part of their fanbase and as such might want to reconsider their proposed design plans. That is at least what I - as a person who apparently has quite radical moral principles - feel. And yes, I agree that this is painting a very black and white world and that things are not as simple for creators working under powerful publishers, but still.

I do agree with your second point though by the way. To think that this new game would not be appreciated in the West because of the setting while all the other Phoenix Wright games are despite their quirkiness, or many other quirky and very Japanese oriented games for that matter, seems very narrow-mided to me personally. But apparently Capcom (and Nintendo) actually seems to make decisions based on such a narrow view...

Edit: TL;DR: To me the bond between a creator/publisher and a customer who has invested time and money in an IP (and has become a fan of it) is sacred. As such I deem it morally suspect or even wrong to (A) consciously create new iterations within an internationally established series that are unlikely to reach fans in other markets or (B) to go back and forth on localizing said iterations of a series on a case by case scenario and often basing that decision on wrong assumptions about taste. Both actions lead to anxiety in the international fan base while a small part of the fan base (the Japanese part in these cases) is held in the highest esteem. I also question the sincerity of companies like Capcom (and Nintendo) who profile themselves as serving an international market when they either keep creating IPs that are targeting the tastes of their home fans and are never intended to release internationally (or at best as a bonus goal), or even worse when they first create fans in international markets with an initial release but then leave those fans hanging by not localizing new iterations. Only in (Japanese) games do we get to endure such practices on such a large scale and only here are such actions so broadly defended even by the customers by adopting a purely business driven perspective that looks at costs only (as opposed to a moral perspective that focuses on avoiding hypocrisy in company actions and on establishing continuity and consistency with regards to IP's being released in all territories).

Edit 2: I now realize that my sentiments were perhaps more geared towards the Chris Pranger is fired thread, and specifically his comments about Nintendo's localization policies, rather than Takumi/Capcom and the possibility of not getting a localization for DGS. His comments (and the way people en masse defended them) that Nintendo is not leaving money on the table by not localizing certain games really hit a nerve with me as to me it completely overlooks the larger issue of why a global company like Nintendo is continuing to greenlight games that need heavy localization in the first place.

If they are truly sincere in their goal to serve a global customer base, then the large majority of their games should be made with that international market in mind and not, as is still often the case, with primarily their Japanese customers in mind (after which it becomes almost a case by case test if said game would appeal to other territories). Or, alternatively, they should at least also allow their American and European branches to greenlight games that they feel would do well in their markets (but not necessarily in the Japanese market), like a new Metroid or F-Zero. To me that would only seem fair, but I'm sure many here would disagree. By the way, Capcom is actually doing that last bit to a degree with Street Fighter V (which is headed and promoted by Capcom USA but developed and supervised by Capcom Japan I believe), which is why I find their back and forth stance on the Phoenix Wright series' localization especially baffling.

Ok, I'd better stop typing now...

Top Bottom