• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom mocap dudes: Ken Lally and Reuben Langdon seen doing mocap

All the RE characters are practically gods now.

They have survived so many infections, saved the world so many times that it's beyond absurd.

If they continue with RE6 I at least hope they play it straight with the global catastrophes that were just committed, nothing should go back to normal after that.

I don't see why you can't create a new cast of characters who are not as experienced with dealing with viral outbreaks while still have the setting take place after the events of RE6.

If people are so concerned with not doing a reboot it's the only way.

kuYuri

They will never, ever reboot Resident Evil. It would be franchise suicide.

Remakes? Certainly. Retcons? Possibly. But a reboot would destroy their connection with the RE fanbase, and Capcom needs that fanbase. The only ones calling for a reboot are gamers who have fallen out of favour with the series, and they probably weren't contributing to the more than healthy sales of 5 and 6 in significant number.

It will. It doesn't matter if it's 'shit' or 'done right'. The continuity is so rich, and so old, and so diverse, that it's as much a part of the series as the name itself. Core fans follow it to the point of obsession, and even passive fans have a decent idea of what's gone on before. Capcom themselves document every facet of who, and why, and where, and painstakingly dovetail the whole thing together every time they make a new title in the series. It's one of the unique features of the series. There may not be a lore as detailed in all of gaming, except perhaps for MGS. Tearing all of that down to appease people who are simply confused strikes me as futile, and even dangerous.

There is, however, no reason at all that they can't just say 'fuck it' and forget everything to date for the time being, starting with something new in some little corner of the world like they did with RE4.

Nope.

oklKf3o.jpg

rE: resident EVIL developed by Spark Unlimited confirmed.

joke :p

I don't care if he and his powers are one of the most retarded things to come from the franchise, the possibility of Wesker coming back actually piques my interest. Favorite thing about the franchise by far.

Riposte

Nah. The fanbase might talk a big game but if a reboot was made and it was good I guarantee you they would still buy it.

I would argue the same is true for most people who think there must be a "reboot".

Actually, I would go as far as to say all of this attention put on "story" or state of the setting is actually a misdirection of what issues are being presented. If you just throw out the larger story, pretty much none of these issues are resolved and you do not need to throw it out to fix them - and that's assuming if you see them as issues and which as ones at that (as the fanbase will be quick to contradict itself).

The only thing I could imagine stopping them from doing an "RE4" is that RE6 was on such a global scale, taking place on so many different continents, with repercussions that ruined so many cities, and disasters that changed so many worldwide policies, I think it'd be hard to create a story that distances itself from all that bullshit.

I think people are way over-exaggerating the level of destruction in RE6. Two successful terrorist attacks took out two cities and there was a civil war in a small European county (being fought by BOW mercenaries) that we can assume was resolved. Our world could shrug that off no problem, let alone the hyper reality most terrorism or disaster/monster based series take place in (e.g., 24). The policies concerning bio-terrorism are already in place in the form of the BSAA (after all, Raccoon City already happened). Those policies only affect a game as much as you'd like.

Why do people think China was zombified?

News Bot

Banned
Lally could be motion capturing someone else.

To expand on the reference I made before, there is a clone of Wesker (or something close to a clone) that has access to all of Spencer's research running around, so the Wesker doesn't have to show up for a Wesker to appear in the next game.

Alex is not related to Albert. They just share the same surname, but they are two completely different people. People should read the files :(

Therefore, Spencer decided to carry out a single plan.

The plan was called the "Wesker Project", after the name of the chief researcher.

Along the plan, several hundred children were gathered from every race around the world.
They were children born from parents full of accomplishments.

He thought that if he couldn't change their knowledge, morality and common sense, he should give them the things he hoped for from the beginning.

Each was given the name of "Wesker", and the gathered children were set free around the world.
Naturally, extreme surveillance was attached without them noticing.
Their fields were different, but each would grow up in an environment where they received the best education.

Several years later, a single particularly excellent and approved young man was sent to the "Umbrella Executive Training School" in Raccoon City.
It was the Wesker given the name of "Albert".

Albert Wesker's subsequent actions pleased Spencer.
He was able to tell that this Wesker had sufficiently met the standards of his nascent humanity.
Moreover, the same might have been said for the other Weskers.

Therefore, Spencer decided to push the plan forward to the next stage.
He decided to administer an experimental stage virus to all the Weskers.

This was a "screening", so to speak, to ascertain the truly excellent Weskers.
Some would be forcibly administered the experimental stage virus as part of their treatment, others on the recommendation of close friends.

Naturally, Albert Wesker was no exception either.
He received the experimental stage virus from his rival William Birkin and administered it by his own hand for a plot.

It may be said that the result of this "screening" was too severe.
Almost all Weskers died, and only a few survived.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
They can do a reboot/sequel, where instead of STARS, they got send into a building as a (BSAA?) team to investigate some stuffs.

Or do away with the BSAA like Alex Wesker disband the BSAA or something, and then Chris organized his team to confront him in his hideout in the middle of the forest, where his team consist of Jill, Leon, Sheva and Jake. Barry can return and be the weapon supplier guy. Introduce Alex as the new owner of Neo Umbrella, add in some new villains and here's our RE7.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I think people are way over-exaggerating the level of destruction in RE6. Two successful terrorist attacks took out two cities and there was a civil war in a small European county (being fought by BOW mercenaries) that we can assume was resolved. Our world could shrug that off no problem, let alone the hyper reality most terrorism or disaster/monster based series take place in (e.g., 24). The policies concerning bio-terrorism are already in place in the form of the BSAA (after all, Raccoon City already happened). Those policies only affect a game as much as you'd like.

Why do people think China was zombified?

Well one was a small rural American town, and the President of the United States was infected/shot as a result. And do we know the radius of that missile strike against Lanshiang? I figured they would pretty much have to nuke it. We also now know that there's a secret organization called Neo Umbrella that has been orchestrating all of this, with seemingly unlimited resources.

And as someone else pointed out, the characters in Resident Evil are now dealing with global threats and on a scale much larger than in the other games, and performing feats that border on superheroism. Scaling things down with the same invincible characters from previous games could make the experience feel a bit neutered or disingenuous.

I'm just saying it's a hurdle, and not an insurmountable one. I would personally prefer an experience that was almost completely unrelated to the current mainline plot, a la Resident Evil 4.

Neff

Yeah, Project Wesker didn't involve any cloning. Brilliant children were kidnapped, trained to be subservient to Spencer, and given the surname 'Wesker' after the project leader.

edit: way beaten

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Huh, I have no idea why I thought Alex was a clone. Still, I hope he shows up in some form or another.

Oh, and another thing.

Why do these organizations keep hiring Ada? You would think after a point they would see an emerging pattern with the fate of her past employers.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Actually another version called Special Package was released only in japan which included all DLC, japanese voice overs and a bonus DVD.

Interesting. Was the Japanese reception to the game similar to the critical reception in the West?

We seemed to get the short end on other aspects of RE6. We didn't get a Collector's Edition release at all, which is super odd.

News Bot

Banned
Oh, and another thing.

Why do these organizations keep hiring Ada? You would think after a point they would see an emerging pattern with the fate of her past employers.

Ada is loyal to a Chinese crime syndicate, but she's also an independent contractor. The only "independent" job she's taken, that we know about, is Simmons.

The syndicate ordered her to infiltrate the "B.O.W. underworld." So she approached the rival company of Umbrella and offered her services. They hired her under heavy suspicion. Then they ordered her to infiltrate Umbrella. After that, she worked with Wesker, who joined the rival company.

The thing that keeps Ada hired, even with open betrayals, is she still gets results and does as she's told more often than not. Her betrayals are usually minor compared to the value of her skills and the things she's hired to acquire, which is why at the end of Separate Ways she's very cavalier about continuing to work with Wesker even though she just betrayed his (superhuman) ass.

Interesting. Was the Japanese reception to the game similar to the critical reception in the West?

We seemed to get the short end on other aspects of RE6. We didn't get a Collector's Edition release at all, which is super odd.

Eh? Does the version that came with PSN download codes for RE1 through 5 not count? Coz that's the one I got...

I hope he is doing mocap for other character, I can't take another game with Chris. We got too much Chris, Jill and Leon in the past generation, it's time to have some Claire.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Eh? Does the version that came with PSN download codes for RE1 through 5 not count? Coz that's the one I got...

I didn't really think it counted at the time, but I guess it was technically called Resident Evil 6 Archives. It just seemed to be a bunch of games thrown into a package, though.

saher

Banned
At this point, what more can possibly be done in the series? they've already used the Bio-weapons on a global scale. They've already blown up china, europe is nearly infested with zombies, ganados and other B.O.Ws, Leon shot the president in the face and fucked up all of washington.

Middle East/Desert setting ?

Hopefully they will announce new RE on E3

Riposte

Wesker probably could have survived a rocket to the face while drowning in lava, but you guys forget, it was two rockets.

Lakitu

st5fu
Wesker is one of worst villains I've encountered in a videogame. Horrible, such a shame to see him (possibly) returning. Just wish they'd axe every character and start from the beginning with a new protagonist and concentrate on the survival aspect.

ShadyJ

At this point, what more can possibly be done in the series? they've already used the Bio-weapons on a global scale. They've already blown up china, europe is nearly infested with zombies, ganados and other B.O.Ws, Leon shot the president in the face and fucked up all of washington.

The only thing I can see happening is if they go full on Apocolypse mode for the next.

And a 40 minute QTE of Ada and Leon finally having sex.

Nothing, just let it go.

It's had its time, and this is from a fanatical RE fan.

Well sounds like that pic was from RE5 then. I was about too say I'm sure mo-cap wouldn't be happening this late int the game if it was being prepared for e3 (granted they could have been working on later in game stuff but I digress).

Top Bottom