• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom: No plans for Resident Evil 7 on Switch

poodaddy

If wanting a perfect, feature complete version of RE4 to play while I take shits is wrong...then I don't wanna be right.

I second, third, fourth, and fifth this statement. It's criminal that my wife can't play the greatest survival action game of all time while sitting in the passenger seat yelling at me for my driving.

It absolutely is hardware related. They would have to make significant changes to port to it to Switch when it would have a fraction of the PS4/Xbox/PC sales.

If RE7 can run on PS4 VR, it must be able to scale down to Switch friendly with some tweaks. Right now Capcom doesn't think making the tweaks will be worth the effort.

crinale

I think Capcom would rather make Switch original RE title for Nintendo system. I mean they did that for 3DS also, and I think I like it that way better than just having another port.

I think Capcom would rather make Switch original RE title for Nintendo system. I mean they did that for 3DS also, and I think I like it that way better than just having another port.

To which the sequel went to consoles. The consequent spin offs have also been on console, though since Switch is closer it has a higher chance getting the spin offs.

royox

Can the Switch even run the game as it is? I understand Capcom not wanting to invest resources on a port that needs a massive downgrade to work properly.

Gurish

Can the Switch even run the game as it is? I understand Capcom not wanting to invest resources on a port that needs a massive downgrade to work properly.

I don't think it requires lots of work, the scale is very limited, it runs ar 60 fps on current gen so they can drop it to 30, drop the res to 720, maybe some more obvious adjustments like lower quality textures, lower AA, AF etc, seems feasible for the Switch, we aren't talking about Horizon or U4 here, those are impossible indeed.

ccbfan

I don't think it requires lots of work, the scale is very limited, it runs ar 60 fps on current gen so they can drop it to 30, drop the res to 720, maybe some more obvious adjustments like lower quality textures, lower AA, AF etc, seems feasible for the Switch, we aren't talking about Horizon or U4 here, those are impossible indeed.

Then you're just gonna have Nintendo zealots calling it a lazy port.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
I wish they would give us that HD Code Veronica that's missing From PC/Xbox/PS4. That would be a great cheap title for the Switch.

royox

So we are talking about investing more money, time, resources and people to make a downgraded port for single one platform. I can see why Capcom is not porting it.

Gurish

So we are talking about investing more money, time, resources and people to make a downgraded port for single one platform. I can see why Capcom is not porting it.

They need to invest money, time and resources in a XB1 and PC ports as well, the question is do they need to invest extra time and effort for the downgraded aspect of the Switch version, imo they don't really, not significantly as the game is pretty limited in scale and runs at 60.

Jimrpg

It's so weird..

RE4 had huge success on the Nintendo Gamecube.

And now Capcom have basically abandoned Nintendo.

Then you're just gonna have Nintendo zealots calling it a lazy port.

zealots are zealots for every platform (/see every digital foundry comparison thread, grassgate, etc)

Reasonable people know what a Handheld is and why the laws of physics dictate what it can do.

Sayad

If RE7 can run on PS4 VR, it must be able to scale down to Switch friendly with some tweaks. Right now Capcom doesn't think making the tweaks will be worth the effort.
The game run on PS4 at 60fps, a 30fps 720 port shouldn't be out of reach, problem isn't scaling down to the Switch though, it's scaling down to Switch portable mode.

M_A_C

IT's business decision guys.

Will they make money from the cost of the port, on a tiny install base, of people who will probably buy it on another platform, before the Switch even comes out?

No.

What a depressing thread and what a sad image it gives of neogaf...

Chill people. From both sides. Half of the posts here make no sense...

DVCY201

Honestly think it's more of a timing concern. They get large upfront sales guaranteed, and don't have to wait for releasing another version at a later point. Plus, announcing a Switch version may make some people simply wait. Personally, I'd release the game, then announce a port in February for Switch, get some double-dip sales, easy.

But that's just me really, whether Capcom have the resources or the time is different.

Sayad

It's so weird..

Huge success?!! GC exclusivity ended up making it the worst selling mainline RE game, the PS2 version ended up selling way more(and move overall sales inline with the other games) despite releasing a year later!

Out of all mainline RE games, RE4 has the worst year 1 sales! Less than some RE spin offs!

It's so weird..

To be fair they did release Revelations first on the 3DS. I'm confident Switch will have it's own Resident Evil game eventually whether its this one or something new, hell even the Wii U got a Revelations port.

Freeman76

Nintendo had a real chance, and still they lag behind. So many games wont go cross platform because they refuse to keep up technically.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Huge success?!! GC exclusivity ended up making it the worst selling mainline RE game, the PS2 version ended up selling way more(and move overall sales inline with the other games) despite releasing a year later!
Most people don't know what they're talking about.

Hoo-doo

Banned
What a depressing thread and what a sad image it gives of neogaf...

Chill people. From both sides. Half of the posts here make no sense...

No need for the melodramatic tone. People in here are just explaining how it doesn't make sense from a business perspective.

ChomeurDeFrance

Neo Member

The architecture between the Switch and Xbox/PS4/PC, is totally different.You have to recode the entire game. It's not a question of resolution or low textures. It's like developing a triple A game on a tablet.

When you choose to be different, you have to accept to be treated differently.

royox

The game run on PS4 at 60fps, a 30fps 720 port shouldn't be out of reach, problem isn't scaling down to the Switch though, it's scaling down to Switch portable mode.

That reminded me of one thread years ago when people said Wii could run a downgraded port of RE5 and it was Capcom's fault the game wasn't being released on Wii.

EVH

I think it should be possible. The game isn't a looker at all. You can see footage on the PS4 that makes you wonder how a game with so many moments were you are on the ground or really close to wall and floor, has such a crap quality textures.

JordanN

Banned
Every time I read "just scale a game down for Switch" I think my head will explode.

That's only true for PS4/XB1/PC because modern game development targets those systems.

Developing for Switch means changing game design completely, similar to working with mobile is. Doesn't matter if architecture is the same, the power is not there.

If wanting a perfect, feature complete version of RE4 to play while I take shits is wrong...then I don't wanna be right.
This.
As good as the new one seems to be, highly doubtful any Resident Evil will be able to touch 4(maybe REmake) as one of the all time classics.
I'd get Prime too to play portably on the Switch.

im a little surprised to see Capcom holding this back but they have always built software to the platform

they clearly dont see switch in the same space as the HD twins

so Nintendo will likely get the same games from capcom that they have been getting on wiiu and 3DS for the time being

its totally doable

companies have scaled games on multiple hardware all the time

it IS mobile chipsets so they may move more mobile properties over before trying to scale AAA games

its all x86 hardware though

Top Bottom