• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CAPCOM R&D: A look into REEngine's past and future (ReX engine announced)

Generic

I wonder if now enemies will be able to follow the player throught the levels or they still will despawn when you move 15 meters away from them.

Fbh

Hopefully their next engine improves the uncanny valley character models
Oo5nVSz.jpg

RE4R has the best looking ones yet but there's still some awkardness to them.

Comandr

REX you say? Like Tyrannosaurus Rex? Like the dinosaur? Like Dino? As in...

I think RE Engine is a massive step up from MT Framework. That said, there are certain materials that just look weird. People have always looked kind of odd in RE engine. Can't wait to see what they bring to the table.

Tsaki

Pretty good video, though it doesn't include what most would think they'll say (i.e. raytracing).
This part was mighty interesting. They launch a new version of the engine about every two days, and they make sure ALL the past RE Engine games run the same in this latest version. They have QA testers that test these new packages of the older games constantly. Which means ALL those past games will be quickly upgradable to any future consoles (PS5 Pro, next generation, etc).
eswrHn3.jpg

Please actually be optimized for PC unlike the trashfire UE5 Capcom. PC's already a priority for them would love to see that reflect in their engine development efforts
It wouldn't matter either way. Capcom developer talent usually make sure their games run well regardless of the engine. Developer talent is also the thing you're actually upset about.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
REX you say? Like Tyrannosaurus Rex? Like the dinosaur? Like Dino? As in...

I think RE Engine is a massive step up from MT Framework. That said, there are certain materials that just look weird. People have always looked kind of odd in RE engine. Can't wait to see what they bring to the table.
I love RE-ENGINE.

But MT FRAMEWORK always seemed to me, in most cases, to be a shitty Graphics Engine.

I love RE-ENGINE.

But MT FRAMEWORK always seemed to me, in most cases, to be a shitty Graphics Engine.

It's the complete opposite for me.

MT framework was - at its time - one of the best, if not the best engines out there in a world filled with Uber glossy, plasticky looking U3 engine games.
Take Monster Hunter world for example, a ONE/PS4 gen game (not even X360/PS3 one) which still looks good to this day.
Shit, even Lost Planet 2 looks sooo good to this day.

That's in stark contrast to the RE engine which has already ran its course/looks already dated in just 1 gen's time.
The uncanny valley is just too strong and everything feels "off" to me, in fact, even the recent RE4 Remake looked...already dated on Day 1 from a tech perspective due to the shimmering/pixel crawling, dubious geometry and texture work on some places etc etc, personally, i felt like it held the game down.
Mind you, RE7, RE2 and RE3 Remakes looked good for being One/PS4 era games but RE8 and RE4 remake I don't know man, they already looked dated on their perspective release dates.

Basically, this new engine can't come soon enough.

Cheers

Last edited:

simpatico

Capcom has really solid tech. Fits exactly what they do and I don't think it gets enough credit. It's always ran great for me considering how good the games look. Quietly being one of the most consistent PC developers when it comes to performance.

Their entire workflow is super impressive, sasuga capcom.
Please actually be optimized for PC unlike the trashfire UE5 Capcom. PC's already a priority for them would love to see that reflect in their engine development efforts
Capcom has been PC first since 2005, they always build a pristine PC version of a game first and then port down to consoles (except the monster hunter team back then, they were slower to catch on to this flow).

CamHostage

UE is a commercial engine

Capcom R&D is announcing the engine, as part of a tech talk on the status and future of its technology systems. They have a number of technical discussions as part of an industry event called CAPCOM Open Conference Professional. According to the description of the event, "This event is for industry professionals and technical experts who are interested in learning about the professional aspects of RE ENGINE, such as the technologies that underpin it and development know-how." It's for industry professionals, such as technical suppliers for CAPCOM RE Engine components/plugins, contractors, and potential future employees. CAPCOM R&D have about 20 video presentations on technical specifics of its development system scheduled during this event, and as part of the discussion points of the event (and also perhaps to advertise the conference to interested parties,) they included the RE-X announcement in their future outlook statement and disclosed a bit about its planned target purpose.

...This event is not really for us gamers. It's not "CAPCOM" announcing an engine in the traditional sense as in the publisher making headline news to sell new products, and it would way too early to show as any kind of cool gameplay demo even if they had a project running on it this early. (That isn't really the point of this technical conference anyway, though it's always a bummer when a tech talk doesn't have any live or prototype demo even for those who are there for business.) If you only care about engines when you can play games or see trailers of games running on it, then ignore this news until you get something more hype-worthy to enjoy.

But, for those who like information, this thread is to inform that this info is out there.

Last edited:
I really like the RE Engine, mostly runs really well and seems pretty scalable for a wide range of hardware. Hopefully this continues the trend.

SHA

I wonder if now enemies will be able to follow the player throught the levels or they still will despawn when you move 15 meters away from them.
That doesn't make re4 a horror game, seriously, you stand still and they gather from everywhere, this is not RE, there is no fear in doing that, where in the original trilogy, you make the risk on being offensive.

So is this for PS5/XS titles or the inevitable PS6/NextXbox ?
When the engine is finished and ready for both.Capcom will make games for ps6 past 2030.If the ps6 comes out in winter 2028 year is already over till 2030 there will be probably between 6-10 million ps6 how much they can produce and what the world will be like that.All those immigrants around the world which are let in to all countries are not an accident. those are payed soldiers when times comes they will unleash chaos rapes murders genocide like .The plan is getting millions of young men who could be making lots of kids to get killed by citizens police and army of the countries at the same time the countries will lose 100.000s if not millions people themselves. so absolutely win for those satanic evil child facker Elites.To have a population of few which will be enslaved like and worse like China.Thats why the mentally ill trans gender trash is suddenly pushed so hard with extrem measurements in all countries especially the western countries poison small kids to become gay or trans to not reproduce open up pedofilliay big time child trafficking big time like a mad max world everything facked up no normality. So will be interesting how the world the console entertainment looks like because plan is to kill 7 billion people till 2030 in this piece of shit Klaus schwabs book the useless eaters how he describes people in poorer countries he have a date till 2040 but they Themselves say must fasten everything up.
will be interesting the sales charts of consoles beyond 2030 when barley humans left to buy things everything crippled destroyed so on.

Top Bottom