• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom: "Street Fighter V will probably take until 2018 to come out"

Chemo

I guess I'd be okay with that if they kept updating SFIV in the meantime. Having a next-gen version of SFIV in the 2015-2017 range with all the missing SF characters from SF1/Alphas/Third Strike/Final Fight plus some additional brand new characters and new modes and such would be great, as far as I'm concerned. I've never loved a fighting game as much as SFIV and would easily buy updates every year for another five years.

Dr. Kaos

Banned
Hey 3 characters in a roster as huge as sf4 is a big deal. That's over 100 new match ups in the game ;)

You jest but I would really like to go back to small rosters of 10-12 characters if that means games will be done quicker. It's hard enough to balance a 12-fighter game, let alone a 16, 24 or 32-fighter one.

Another pro is that a game a small roster will be easier to learn and each character well be deeper and more memorable. Apple got it right: too much choice is bad.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
You jest but I would really like to go back to small rosters of 10-12 characters if that means games will be done quicker. It's hard enough to balance a 12-fighter game, let alone a 16, 24 or 32-fighter one.

Another pro is that a game a small roster will be easier to learn and each character well be deeper and more memorable. Apple got it right: too much choice is bad.
Skull Girls is the game for you then!

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe Capcom is just way worse off than I thought, but it blows my mind that WB games gives NRS a new game every two years, yet Capcom wants to wait 10 years between SF titles because they can't afford it.

Im sure Street Fighter sold just as well as MK and Injustice. Makes me wonder why they can't justify a sequel yet when NRS is already working on MK 10.

Probably because people expect SF to essentially reinvent itself with each new numbered entry.

I don't know anything about MK10's development, but I'd be extremely surprised if they were recreating all the character models from scratch instead of using the characters they already made for 9 and adding more characters and new moves.

because I guarantee you all the people complaining about there not being a new sequel now, would be complaining even more if SF5 was announced with the same SF4 art style and character models. I'd be right there with them in that case.

I'd much rather them get as much mileage out of 4 as they feel they can before going all in and giving us a real SF5 than to half ass it.

That logic ignores the fact that Capcom had multiple fighters come out between numbered SF iterations. Since Capcom probably won't be making any other fighters, I don't see why Dimps would take so long to get SF5 done.

Draglade 3-4-5, THE GRAP(e) TRILOGY

Tenki

Alex from sf3 must post of forums a lot. "you can't escape" is him raving like a mad man after turning insane from pointless fanboy input that's everywhere

I... I haven't understood anything lol

Maybe it's because English is not my first language, but I'm like WAT.

This is bullshit. They revived the genre and they let it die again, rather than assuring they could have a nice sequel while the brand was still hot..

Just reskin the thing, change the art direction, add some characters, damm it!
Smash will keep it alive. Guilty Gear will provide sustenance for the core.
I can't look forward to something I'm already playing :p
You can when you can count on the roster to double and triple in size by the time SFV drops lol.

Gorillaz

Smash will keep it alive. Guilty Gear will provide sustenance for the core.

You can when you can count on the roster to double and triple in size by the time SFV drops lol.
Lmao smash being the premier fighting game at tourneys

Where is your god at now, Evo?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Better enjoy that SFIV for the next 5 years.

“Game development is a long and arduous process,” he continued. “If you look at the history of the series, it took six years to go from Street Fighter II to Street Fighter III, and nine years to go from Street Fighter III to Street Fighter IV. Purely based on that it would probably take us until the year 2018 before Street Fighter V comes out. So I hope everyone will play Ultra Street Fighter IV for a long time.”

VG247 in an interview with producer Tomoaki Ayano.

So basically this translates to "we'll happily keep porting SF4 to each new platform for the next few years and maybe release another update or two!"

I also like that Ayano ignores Street Fighter Alpha and EX.

sounds very tongue-in-cheek. weird for people to take this so literally.

Instead of selling a rushed sequel every year that is similar they sell us the same game every year
1. they're pretty different
2. they're not $60 msrp
3. if you want something drastically different, there are numerous options this gen like ttt2 or p4a.
4. even if you hate non-capcom or whatever, capcom still has 3 fg ips this gen.

Dahbomb

If you want a game like that then play Skullgirls. 9 characters only.

Village

Lmao smash being the premier fighting game at tourneys

Where is your god at now, Evo?

Makes sense since it sells like several time more than all the others, if any game is going to keep the community alive it might be that. They game has to be competitive like melee and attract a crowd.

Unless KI is fuck all amazing or something, just some avant garde fighting game.

Pachinko

Well, Ultra SF4 is due out next February on current gen consoles. I can see an xbone/ps4 port following 3 to 6 months later along with a PC version. That means 2014 is not going to have a SF5. There will inevitably be a balance patch released in 2015 as well but I do feel the roster is as finished as it's ever going to be.

So let's say capcom begins SFV production sometime in 2015, they have a new engine and with it need to rebuild every single character model into a tweaked fighting engine that adds something new to the genre. Having a SFV that works at least the same way as SF4 did when it launched means they need about 18 characters and probably at least 12 backgrounds. This is a game that would take at least 2 years to make , making the earliest we will get a 5th street fighter game 2017. Obviously they will milk it for 5 years or more once it's out , probably doubling the character count in the process.

RoKKeR

I can easily say that I don't think I've seen the year 2018 written out anywhere on the internet yet when it comes to release time tables, so that's something new I guess.

I've been saying 2016 for a while now and I'll stick to it because I think Capcom is bluffing about the development of SF5 not even being started yet. USF4 will be fine and if they wanted to do another update after that, I'd be happy with that. But 2018 just seems a little too excessive considering next gen starts this coming Holiday season. Having a new SF game about 2 or 3 years after the next gen consoles are released seems like the ideal time.

Darhan

Street Fighert V

Free-2-play: Blanka included.

All others 31 characters: 15 dollars each.

Extra suits: 5 dollars each.

Knowing how Capcom works nowadays, this is what will happen.

Lyte Edge

SFIV, SSFIV and AE are all very different games. Please don't talk about things you know nothing of.

They're all the same game- or rather, different versions of it. I miss the days when new versions of fighting games would at least get new backgrounds and music, new moves, and new or redrawn sprites.

I thought one advantage of going with polygons instead of sprites is that it would make updating the graphics/character models far easier- They haven't changed anything since Super in 2010.

Lyte Edge

Street Fighert V

Free-2-play: Blanka included.

All others 31 characters: 15 dollars each.

Extra suits: 5 dollars each.

Knowing how Capcom works nowadays, this is what will happen.

Platform: iOS/Android/browser

Tripon

You skipped out on a 15 dollar expansion that lasted 2 years? Shame on capcom for updating their game for a low price

Yeah, because I bought Super SF4 a few months before Arcade came out. Didn't think Oni, and Evil Ryu, Yun and Yang were worth it.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Yeah, because I bought Super SF4 a few months before Arcade came out. Didn't think Oni, and Evil Ryu, Yun and Yang were worth it.
So I take it you don't play online then? Honestly I don't look at fighting game expansions as WHAT NEW CHARACTERS CAN I PLAY but more of a HOW DO THE CHARACTERS I LOVE PLAY NOW!? With the mindset of number 2 it makes new versions of the game feel drasticly different from each other as you don't play your characters the same way between them so it's a new experience plus all the other characters play different as well so it's even more stuff to learn and experience.

It's showcased a lot better in ASW games but the mindset still works just as well in sf4 across the versions.
:)

Imm0rt4l

Hopefully there will be another big fighting game between now and then. I'm not loyal to capcom and I hope that if there is a game worthy enough that the community as a whole can get behind it just as seriously.

Lyte Edge

What I'm interpreting this as is that there is still a chance R. Mika will be added to the game.

Following what they did with Kuma in SFxTK, I expect to see R. Mika's clothes added as an alternate costume for Gief, Hawk, or Hakan. :p

Tripon

So I take it you don't play online then? Honestly I don't look at fighting game expansions as WHAT NEW CHARACTERS CAN I PLAY but more of a HOW DO THE CHARACTERS I LOVE PLAY NOW!?

:)

Yeah, playing online doesn't give the same feeling as going to an arcade, and my internet was lagging enough that the few times I did, it affected the way I played. I moved to a new place with a better internet connection and with Ultra coming out, I was interested, but now that I know of Capcom's general outline for releasing SF5, and knowing that Ultra isn't the last version, I'm probably going to skip this one too.

I would rather pay a lump sum for the best version there is, instead of the piece meal effort that Capcom is known for. I don't know, I'm just looking for a reason to jump back in, but I don't think Capcom's giving me a good reason for it. With this, and Breath of Fire 6 going mobile, I'm just unhappy with the company right now.

So they hope their current game will be played competitively for a long time (and I assume will support it for a long time)

Somehow this is a bad thing and they need to shit out another sequel faster?

I wish other devs designed their games around being played for years, seems gaf would rather have the battlefield/cod formula, make the game obsolete within 24 months.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
This gives a good opportunity for the Soul Calibur and Mortal Kombat guys to take advantage on PS4/X1.

Top Bottom