• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom: "Street Fighter V will probably take until 2018 to come out"

Bizazedo

I thought I was buying a finished product when I was buying Super SF4, and I'm realizing now that won't happen for a long time.

You did buy a finished product. I guess that's what I don't get.

Ignoring UItimate Marvel vs Capcom as that was due to poorly constructed contracts, there is a large period of time between these SF releases. Each individual release is the full game.

If you're uninterested in playing other people and don't care about the additional character, the prior version is a 100% complete game. The only thing stopping you from realizing this is you.

JYou think a game mechanics that are played competitively for years just.. happens?

The first versions of SF2, before the fighting game scenes as we know it existed at all?

Not that they didn't try their best to make an overall good game, but perhaps a game made to be fun for the general gaming populace and well selling could also be competitively sound "by accident" (with less direct consideration in its development than most modern fighting games get).

Dr. Kaos

Banned
There are plenty of fighting games to play from this console generation.

That's true. I enjoy none of them as much as SF4 though. It just feels as if it REALLY takes advantages of 60 FPS in way no other fighter does, you know? Street Fighter 2 and Street Fighter 3 had dat same secret sauce when compared to other fighting games in their time. KI looks pretty good, but I'm sure the gameplay will be more repetitive, as were its prequels.

Of course, I'm biased since I'm a huge Street Fighter fan, so take what I say with some salt.

Imm0rt4l

Which is why they are casuals to begin with.

If they haven't already upgraded from Super (which posters in previous threads have happily admitted to for various inane reasons), then there's probably not a big chance that they're going to see any value in USF4's pricing, either for the digital version or the retail. Not to mention that USF4 isn't even aimed at the casual audience.

If you haven't kept up with the game at all throughout the years and are all of a sudden making snide/dumb/ignorant remarks about it, then yes, your opinion means a hell of a lot less than others who have kept up with it.
I see that Beef already put it more eloquently/nicely than I could put it.

There's nothing wrong with not seeing the difference between Super SF4, Super SF4 AE, Super SF4 AE 2012, and Ultra SF4.

That's the real thing holding Capcom back and causing this situation, is they're stuck on the idea of "versions".

Don't want to play as the newly introduced characters? Too bad, buy the new version anyway, or have no one to play with.

Even if Capcom finally allowed you to upgrade through DLC, a DLC "version" upgrade still creates consumer complaints compared to individual content pieces and patches.
Maybe people can't see the backend changes to characters and systems, but the additions should be apparent anyway.

I wouldn't mind piecemeal DLC so that you can pick and choose what you want from the upgrade, while releasing the balance changes as a patch for all users. But I don't think the release schedule, pricing, and content given from that has been unreasonable in the slightest. I think it's more fairly handled than most other games, but I agree there's room for improvement on the method.

I was one of those people, and I saw the value of Ultra SF4, I even considered pre-ordering when I saw the announcement at EVO.... until I realized that Capcom's going to release another version of SF4 after that.

That's my point, its not just about appealing to the EVO audience, its that Capcom is willfully fragmenting their potential base for SF4 and not caring about the results for that. I'm glad you guys in the FGC are willing to spend another $15 or $40 or whatever it is you may spend on your hobby, but speaking personally, I thought I was buying a finished product when I was buying Super SF4, and I'm realizing now that won't happen for a long time.
The last paid update was two years ago, so if you're going to hold onto $15 because you think they're going to do it again (and by all means they might), were you really going to play it anyway? It just sounds like you want a definitive version for collection purposes.

kirblar

"Man, I can't believe they released a new Starcraft expansion. Now my prior purchase is wasted!"

Said no one ever.

El Sloth

Banned
I was one of those people, and I saw the value of Ultra SF4, I even considered pre-ordering when I saw the announcement at EVO.... until I realized that Capcom's going to release another version of SF4 after that.

That's my point, its not just about appealing to the EVO audience, its that Capcom is willfully fragmenting their potential base for SF4 and not caring about the results for that. I'm glad you guys in the FGC are willing to spend another $15 or $40 or whatever it is you may spend on your hobby, but speaking personally, I thought I was buying a finished product when I was buying Super SF4, and I'm realizing now that won't happen for a long time.
I hope you feel the same way about map packs for shooters, expansion packs for RTS games, and annual iterations for sports games.

"Ultra Street Fighter IV is an expansion for Street Fighter IV that adds new characters"

"Starcraft Heart of the Swarm, the sequel to Wings of Liberty, continues the story of blah blah and tells how blah blah"

Perception. (Speaking from the non-competitive customer base perspective, which some posters in these threads are adamant about being unable to put themselves into the shoes of)

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Even if Capcom finally allowed you to upgrade through DLC, a DLC "version" upgrade still creates consumer complaints compared to individual content pieces and patches.

I still prefer an updated version to DLC released in pieces.

Ultimate sucked because you had to buy a new disc for it yeah but if it was all broken up into pieces it would have either cost more or wouldn't have everything Ultimate had.

It comes down to opinion.

I prefer having a new piece of content for a game regularly, to look forward to and try out with the "new feeling". Rather than having an update announced and having to wait months for it to come out.

The money you save by having the characters bundled together is in exchange for the time you could have spent playing as them if they releases individually and were out earlier.

The same as skipping Vanilla and Super and only buying Ultra.

El Sloth

Banned
"Ultra Street Fighter IV is an expansion for Street Fighter IV that adds new characters"

"Starcraft Heart of the Swarm, the sequel to Wings of Liberty, continues the story of blah blah and tells how blah blah"

Perception. (Speaking from the non-competitive customer base perspective, which some posters in these threads are adamant about being unable to put themselves into the shoes of)
When discussing the differences in content it also becomes important to note the difference in pricing as well, I think. One is $15 and the other $40. Both seem more than fair to me personally.

VariantX

would people prefer something like SFA1-3 where the gameplay systems are different but character models are recycled?

people complained then about recycled sprites. People were dead TIRED of looking at that morrigan sprite that would not die. 3D assets can be touched up with higher resolution skins to keep things fresh visually.

Soup Bar

They sound like they are full of shit. The only reason why it took so long for Street Fighter IV to ever be made, is because fighting games dropped off the face of the Earth. I think we will certainly see this game by 2015.

Skilletor

Maybe an update 3 years after an initial release only adding characters and balance tweaks isn't meant for the casual audience? Every product isn't going to be for every person, and that's perfectly okay.

would people prefer something like SFA1-3 where the gameplay systems are different but character models are recycled?

Capcom recyling sprites has been a joke since as long as I can remember.

Im sorry. Im failing to see how creating a updated SF4 prevents development of a SF5. To even suggest such a thing is frankly ridiculous.

SF isnt getting an sequel anytime soon because the top brass at capcom do not consider the ROI to be profitable enough. Same reason we arent getting a marvel update, why SF X T was riddled with DLC crap and why we were never ever ever going to get a darkstalkers game.

Capcom have spent this generation trying to become the japanese EA. It has produced average to middling results.

This coming generation they will be moving to become the japanese tencent. A Street fighter doesnt feature high in those plans until people are so invested in next gen platforms, their resistance to a F2P SF that gouges you for character models balance and stages is lowered and is more palatable.

Anyone thinking this is anything to do with the community still being happy with SF4 updates are VASTLY overestimating the FGC's importance to Capcoms bottom line.

I'm absolutely not ready for Street Fighter V yet. I'm more than happy to see updates to IV, and I will continue to play it for thousands of hours more.

I'd rather any fighting franchise they decide to work on next were mechanically different from Street Fighter with an entirely different cast.

I wouldn't be surprised if the free to play fighting game they end up introducing on the next generation of consoles was just another version of Street Fighter IV but delivered as a free to play game to broaden the audience.

They sound like they are full of shit. The only reason why it took so long for Street Fighter IV to ever be made, is because fighting games dropped off the face of the Earth. I think we will certainly see this game by 2015.

Yeah, the reason for the last gap was a convenient omission. SFIV would've come out a lot sooner if Capcom hadn't resisted, by Ono's account.

I seriously can't see how they'd think waiting 9 years on purpose would be a good idea. I doubt it'll take that long.

Maybe an update 3 years after an initial release only adding characters and balance tweaks isn't meant for the casual audience? Every product isn't going to be for every person, and that's perfectly okay.

Being for every person means more money than being for a niche, and making money is why game companies make games.

Skilletor

Being for every person means more money than being for a niche, and making money is why game companies make games.

It could also mean a watered own product that ends up appealing to nobody.

Perhaps they figured the investment in fine-tuning this product would end up being worth more than some huge update, especially given the return on their recent fighting game endeavors.

There is no product out there that is for every person. Better to focus on the demographic most likely to make you money.

Obviously USF4 is what it is, and nothing they could do with it (besides not making it, which would get them even less money) would avoid the complaints.

I just think they should take it into consideration moving forward (SF5).

Of course, how many people will have "learned" from SF4, and will take their time buying 5 because they are confident in an update version being around the corner, negatively impacting Capcom's profits.

Skilletor

anyone with good taste would disagree

Fixed.

A2 > Your favorite SF

Obviously USF4 is what it is, and nothing they could do with it (besides not making it, which would get them even less money) would avoid the complaints.

I just think they should take it into consideration moving forward (SF5).

Of course, how many people will have "learned" from SF4, and will take their time buying 5 because they are confident in an update version being around the corner, negatively impacting Capcom's profits.

I don't see how this argument couldn't be used for pretty much every Street Fighter (and many other fighters).

I mean, I agree, but...yeah, tale as old as time.

Im sorry. Im failing to see how creating a updated SF4 prevents development of a SF5. To even suggest such a thing is frankly ridiculous.

SF isnt getting an sequel anytime soon because the top brass at capcom do not consider the ROI to be profitable enough. Same reason we arent getting a marvel update, why SF X T was riddled with DLC crap and why we were never ever ever going to get a darkstalkers game.

Capcom have spent this generation trying to become the japanese EA. It has produced average to middling results.

This coming generation they will be moving to become the japanese tencent. A Street fighter doesnt feature high in those plans until people are so invested in next gen platforms, their resistance to a F2P SF that gouges you for character models balance and stages is lowered and is more palatable.

Anyone thinking this is anything to do with the community still being happy with SF4 updates are VASTLY overestimating the FGC's importance to Capcoms bottom line.

Why should it matter the intent if the end result is that my fav fighter get supported?

Valnen

I'm happy with this. Just keep adding characters to 4 please. Don't make 5 and take some away, because that always happens with new numbered releases.

To be perfectly honest, they probably wouldn't be interested in sticking around to learn the game anyways.

Chaplain

Purely based on that it would probably take us until the year 2018 before Street Fighter V comes out.

VG247 in an interview with producer Tomoaki Ayano.

I assume this is also because the PS4 and X1's install base will be large enough for Capcom to make returns on their costly investment of making SF 5. Not to mention that both systems will probably cost under $200 by 2018.

To be perfectly honest, they probably wouldn't be interested in sticking around to learn the game anyways.

Who cares?

I'm talking about them buying discounted/on sale/used and giving less money to the company, something that has a tangible affect on more games being made.

What's it to you if they make top 8 at EVO or play through story mode once?

Why do they have to treat the game the same way you do?

Skilletor

I assume this is also because the PS4 and X1's install base will be large enough for Capcom to make returns on their costly investment of making SF 5. Not to mention that both systems will probably be under $200 by 2018.

This thread is based on a statement of faulty logic. IF we're getting an SF5, I imagine it wouldn't be any longer than 2 years from now. I'd think 2016 would be pushing it.

VariantX

Alpha 2 is considered one of their best fighters ever for what it's worth

SNK mastered it though

SNK was also a little better than capcom at having their sprites look consistent with each other. When the Cap vs SNK games dropped, the sprites were all over the place with different art styles. When SNK gave it their shot with SvC, they did a far better job of it.

Top Bottom