• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom: "Street Fighter V will probably take until 2018 to come out"

Otsukare

Neo Member
Fucking BS.

Capcom, seriously. SERIOUSLY!! Im so angry. fuck Ultra you milking money grabbers, you are lucky the community has backed IV for almost 5 years!!! and this is how we get re-payed.

I'm a raging demon inside now, can't believe this.

Westlo

Fucking BS.

Capcom, seriously. SERIOUSLY!! Im so angry. fuck Ultra you milking money grabbers, you are lucky the community has backed IV for almost 5 years!!! and this is how we get re-payed.

I'm a raging demon inside now, can't believe this.

Nowhere in his reply does it state the game will come out in 2018, he's simply using the gaps between the previous mainline titles to indicate when it would come out if you used them as a basis. It's a non answer, it's when it's done it's done. You and several other people in this thread are going to look stupid when @ captivate or wherever in a few years time they unveil SFV and say they've been working on it for years already. As Stone Ocean said "What a subtle way of saying "stop fucking asking we don't know"."

It's hilarious anyone would even take this seriously considering the reason for the gap in time between 3rd Strike and IV no long exists and that the series is strong once again.

Otsukare

Neo Member
Nowhere in his reply does it state the game will come out in 2018, he's simply using the gaps between the previous mainline titles to indicate when it would come out if you used them as a basis. It's a non answer, it's when it's done it's done. You and several other people in this thread are going to look stupid when @ captivate or wherever in a few years time they unveil SFV and say they've been working on it for years already. As Stone Ocean said "What a subtle way of saying "stop fucking asking we don't know"."

It's hilarious anyone would even take this seriously considering the reason for the gap in time between 3rd Strike and IV no long exists and that the series is strong once again.

I fully believe it has been worked on for years, In fact I believe a lot of the work in XTekken was done directly to 'test the water' as it were before committing design ideas to V. I'm thinking the gem system/character customize design was certainly planned for V but given the community reception to XTekken will have be refined or removed.

I don't mind looking stupid by venting my frustrations, I am passionate about the game and hope that this is just dismissive talk and an announcement will be made sooner or later.

cdkee

Banned
So...I'm going to be using my 360 until 2018?

Silly Capcom, SF isn't THAT important to me. And I love SF.

Otsukare

Neo Member
So...I'm going to be using my 360 until 2018?

Silly Capcom, SF isn't THAT important to me. And I love SF.

Raises an interesting idea, will Capcom attempt to push out an SFIV varient on PS4/XBO, perhaps digital only or some type of re-skin.

alstein

It's more important for Capcom to get SFV right than to have it in early.

SF is in a similar position to Tekken in that they threw everything at folks this gen, and are going to have to revamp things on their sequel.

They're definitely going to have to spend some good time on making some new characters- they might have to SF3 roster it again, despite the shudders this probably causes in Capcomland and pushback from the players (I don't mean make it play like SF3- hell no to that crap, but they're going to have to make it different enough to feel new without turning off the folks who started with SFIV)

Development of my most anticipated or favorite games always seem so slow. I love some SF4, but 2018 has to be a joke and SF4 is so old now no matter how many times you try to resurrect it. I might not even care about video games by then IF 2018 is legitimate which I am doubting. This is like the next COD or Assassin's Creed coming out in 2020. This cannot be real.

FlyFaster

This is bullshit. They revived the genre and they let it die again, rather than assuring they could have a nice sequel while the brand was still hot..

Just reskin the thing, change the art direction, add some characters, damm it!

Jesus fucking christ Ultra is coming out. What the hell is wrong with you people. What are the letting die? They are continuing to support the game and the scene + they are working on putting together anther tournament, the Capcom Cup.

Also, your 2nd point is beyond moronic. Yes! You;ve figured it out! Man, it's so simple, thank you for dropping this amazing truth bomb and revealing exactly what a company should do with one of it's important IPs.

I hope to god you don't work in the industry.

Riposte

Nowhere in his reply does it state the game will come out in 2018, he's simply using the gaps between the previous mainline titles to indicate when it would come out if you used them as a basis. It's a non answer, it's when it's done it's done.

Yeah it is probably a non-answer and GAF does care too fucking much about every little non-answer found in interviews, but the logic is way off, because Street Fighter Zero was a mainline game/series. They only stopped for a long time between III and IV.

Shadoken

IV has plenty of life in it..... I dont need V anytime soon. They should work on getting SF4 closer to Dota/League levels. 25th anniversary tournament series was just epic.

The game has the quality/depth and potential. Perhaps the retail model is whats holding it back.

And I dont get all the hate here. There has always been just one SF series title every gen. Why make it an early launch title. 2018 seems a bit too far, unless the team is working on another FG after USF4. Perhaps another Alpha title. Ono did say he wanted to work on it

Deprive

Their going to need next gen to have a sizable install base. Also they will probably use a new art style, so they will have to build new assets.

So I could see a 2016 release. Would be very surprised to see a 2018 release.

Maybe some higher up at Capcom will realize that 2017 is the 30th anniversary of the series and try to have something out by late that year.

jaxword

As long as we get:

deC2Uph.jpg

Elena in, it's a sale.

V_Arnold

If anything, this news will stop me from buying Ultra SFIV. I bought Vanilla SF4 used, bought Super SF4 new, and skipped Super SF4: Arcade Edition, and thought about picking up Ultra SF4 because of free DLC costumes.

But hearing that SF5 won't come for years means that Capcom will likely refine and keep on making new editions for SF4. And frankly, while I love the series, I can wait until Capcom finally stops and releases Super Street Fighter 4: Hyper Fighting 20th Anniversary Legendary Co-Op Dream Match x Tekken x SNK x All-Capcom edition, and that will be the last one released.

Sigh, even in the era of DLC, Capcom is absurdly retro with their re-releases of SF4.

So what you are saying is that you do not plan on buying a game to play with it, but you plan on buying a game to simply *HAVE* the complete package?

In which case, stay away from fighting games, please. They are not made for you, clearly, and i mean this without any malice. These games are the anthithesis of non-evolving story-based packages.

Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty get scheduled yearly releases. People complain.

Street Fighter decides to hold off the sequel until the time is right. People complain.

/shrug

adversary

Banned
So does this mean they are going to port the game to next gen consoles? I just don't see many people continuing to play and buy updates for last-gen consoles until 2018.

Skilletor

So does this mean they are going to port the game to next gen consoles? I just don't see many people continuing to play and buy updates for last-gen consoles until 2018.

Not familiar with Street Fighter? People still play Super Turbo. Playing SF4 until 2018 wouldn't be anything new for the series.

BizzyBum

I honestly don't mind, because SF4 is still awesome. I'd rather them keep updating and balance changing with fan feedback for 4 then release a brand new game at this point.

chronosic

I honestly don't mind, because SF4 is still awesome. I'sequel?r them keep updating and balance changing with fan feedback for 4 then release a brand new game at this point.
Exactly, 4 still has so much life in it, why throw that all away with a hurried sequel?

Because the general attitude is in this thread "Shut up scrubs, you dont play SF4 competitvely, Capcom needs to support us first cus we arent finished with the game! SF5 can take its time, we dont even want it yet!"

Its silly and full of misplaced self-importance.

Compared to: "I just want a new flashy new fighting game that I'm going to get tired in a few weeks."

Ask yourself, Why do you want a new SF? and Why are you not playing the current one?

And you can see why we feel that way about when people like you comment like this.

Capcom could quite easily develop a SF5 and still put out a USF4 update. Its not an either or situation. There is no SF5 on the horizon because the suits simply dont see enough money nor mainstream appeal in such a title. That is it.

It is an either or, because why would capcom develop 2 self competing products at the same time. SFV will cannibalize SF4, which is still thriving to this day.

You will see a F2P SF4 on next gen consoles with a F2P SF5 in 2018 with "character and stage pack" options. They will drip feed you content until buying the full game will cost close to $200.

That might be a possibility. And very likely, but not set in stone yet. F2P have many permutations. Hopefully they follow the DOTA2 model, instead of the KI one.

Geniuzz

Since USF4 only comes out in 2014, I didn't expect SF5 to come out before 2016 at least anyway. Had they said they would be releasing SF5 in 2014/2015 people would not buy USF4, or at least, considerably less people would shell out the money for it. From my point of view this "decision" makes sense.

arit

This is bullshit. They revived* the genre and they let it die again, rather than assuring they could have a nice sequel while the brand was still hot..

Just reskin the thing, change the art direction, add some characters, damm it!

* if your fighting game world ends on the borders of Capcom USA IP Land.

nded

Arcade release of SFV in 2017 to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the franchise, then the home console release one year later in 2018.

Sounds about right.

Top Bottom