• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom talks about new console and mobile strategy, new IP, mergers and acquisitions

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

• Consumer (Package + Digital Download Contents)
  • Monster Hunter X (Cross) surpassed initial projections to sell 3.3 million units
  • Resident Evil Revelations 2 was released last year and maintained brisk sales at 850,000 units
    [*]Street Fighter V sold 1.4 million units mainly overseas, falling short of sales projections

SFV missing sales projections isn't really news to anyone. I was wondering if there's any info about the budget or how well DLC is selling or something. I don't know what kind of stuff goes in these reports, so maybe that's just the kind of thing that stays secret.

Will I could definitely see Mega Man, Breathe of Fire, and a spin off of Resident Evil being mobile games.

I could also see Dino Crisis coming back, though not as an Resident Evil clone, but more of an four player co op shooter survival game like L4D.

PureYeti

General:
- Capcom has added 500 new development staff since 2012, and intends to add 500 more by 2020. These are largely college grads added annually, so there's a bit of a warm up time as they learn the ropes, but we should see a major spike in their output soon.

Aww what? Hook me up Combofiend

Sesha

Let's all get jobs at Capcom. As we slowly climb up the company ladder, in the hopes of working on our favorite franchises, we'll be stuck working on Monster Hunter spin-offs and mobile games, and slowly go insane with frustration.

Teknoman

So i guess smaller titles on consoles are out of the question? I should hope not, considering Revelations 2 sales. Also chasing esports and the AAA dream...might not be the best decision for a Japanese dev at this time. At least not making it the majority focus. Especially since a "AA" or whatever effort should look just as good, considering the graphics bar with hardware capabilities from all sides.

TreIII

So i guess smaller titles on consoles are out of the question? I should hope not, considering Revelations 2 sales. Also chasing esports and the AAA dream...might not be the best decision for a Japanese dev at this time. At least not making it the majority focus. Especially since a "AA" or whatever effort should look just as good, considering the graphics bar with hardware capabilities from all sides.

Yeah. You'd think that with the likes of Koei Tecmo and Bandai Namco continuously posting record profits on a yearly basis, Capcom would clearly see that there's ways to be profitable without explicitly chasing after a AAA market in an "all or nothing" fashion. It's the one thing thing I most wanted Tsujimoto and his brass to cite from their competition in the last years, and yet they still don't seem to have taken that to heart.

I still find myself amazed at how both of those companies managed to right their ships earlier on, midway through last gen, but Capcom seems to still be having issues even now, in the middle of this one.

Sesha

Yeah. You'd think that with the likes of Koei Tecmo and Bandai Namco continuously posting record profits on a yearly basis, Capcom would clearly see that there's ways to be profitable without explicitly chasing after a AAA market in an "all or nothing" fashion. It's the one thing thing I most wanted Tsujimoto and his brass to cite from their competition in the last years, and yet they still don't seem to have taken that to heart.

I still find myself amazed at how both of those companies managed to right their ships earlier on, midway through last gen, but Capcom seems to still be having issues even now, in the middle of this one.

I think Capcom has a problem, which they might not explicitly realize, that they lack franchises that are compatible with the idea of iterative sequels. The only two are Monster Hunter and Sengoku Basara, both of which see most (or in SB's case, all) of their success in Japan. Compare Capcom to Koei Tecmo with Musou, Sega with Yakuza, and Bandai Namco with their anime fighting games. All of these franchises have in common that they can reuse assets like crazy, avoid a lot of criticism for it, and see steady and often increased sales per installment. Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Dead Rising aren't compatible with that kind of iterative approach. Games like Ace Attorney and Street Fighter which do, reuse a lot of assets see declining sales.

I'm not sure what they can do to turn things around. Splitting RE into various sub-brands, and supporting major titles long-term with DLC and updates are good ideas in theory, but haven't been smoothly executed so far.

TreIII

I think Capcom has a problem, which they might not explicitly realize, that they lack franchises that are compatible with the idea of iterative sequels. The only two are Monster Hunter and Sengoku Basara, both of which see most (or in SB's case, all) of their success in Japan. Compare Capcom to Koei Tecmo with Musou, Sega with Yakuza, and Bandai Namco with their anime fighting games. All of these franchises have in common that they can reuse assets like crazy, avoid a lot of criticism for it, and see steady and often increased sales per installment. Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Dead Rising aren't compatible with that kind of iterative approach. Games like Ace Attorney and Street Fighter which do, reuse a lot of assets see declining sales.

Well, once upon a time, that was Rockman's role, to a T. Especially during the lucrative EXE/BN era...until Capcom poisoned that well.

Losing Rockman also meant Capcom had no franchise that helped reel in kids, a demographic that they have had no meaningful success with reaching last gen or even much of this one. MonHun Stories? The next wave of Mega Man things? Time will tell if Capcom can finally win back this audience that they've done plenty to ignore for several years at a time.

Top Bottom