• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom USA VP Disappointed By Darkstalkers Resurrection Sales

I don't think it sold in Japan either. I've been following the PSN JP charts since Skullgirls came out(It broke it's expected LTD by week 2 of 7) and I never saw Resurrection chart once. I got the screen captures too.
Having a retail release there might have affected that, though that's just a guess on my part.

Tizoc

Well how about...
BlazBlue: CT
BlazBlue: CS
BlazBlue: CS2
BlazBlue: CSEX
BlazBlue: CP

Just to calirfy
First off the BB games all play differently, so CT>CS isn't a big deal since CS changed drastically from CT that a new release is warranted.

Furthermore, when they released CS, they did a digital update for CS2, which was all fine and dandy, in addition there were purchasable DLC characters.

Unfortunately when they did the next update (Extend), they went retail with CS Extend, which had all the DLC characters+1 new character.
^This should've been a digital update like before, and with a retail 'GotY'-like release for those that hadn't gotten CS.

CP is the 3rd chapter in the series and also changes greatly from CS, but hopefully they'll learn their lesson and go digital all the way.

Unsurprising. I found this to be a pretty uninteresting game from the demo, and if the franchise's reach in the West is anything to go by, I think you have to give credit for Capcom even going this far.

Son this game is more hectic than UMvC3, on the surface it seems basic and simple, but then you'll be seeing high speed pressuring, infinites (attempts really) and mixups that by the time a DS3 match ends 2 characters would be KOed in a UMvC3 match.

Add enough value to your product and price it properly. This game missed the sequels of these games, the original Darkstalkers and was way too expensive, so they are morons if were expecting great sales.
What sequels? You mean Vampire Savior 2 (which isn't good from what I've read) and Vampire Hunter 2? Hardly anyone in Japan plays those to begin with.

Extra stuff like EX options from the PSX version and the Tower Mode of the PSP version would have been a nice addition.
EX options would negate it being close to arcade perfect so no to that.
Dunno about Tower Mode, but why does it seem like you guys have double standards when it comes to arcade perfect?

But by far the main problem is it's pricing. With the current content it should have been $7.99 or lower. Jojo game suffered the same issues, and this is the main reason of why I didn't buy both games even if I'm a huge fan of the Capcom 2D fighters.
The games are worth their price IMO, only reason I can see wanting them for cheaper is well...for being cheap, no offense.
Then again I'm the guy who would gladly get Garou MotW for $15 *shrugs*

The price was right. You guys are cheap. That is okay, but don't expect bargain bin prices just because you don't care.
Having a retail release there might have affected that, though that's just a guess on my part.
Oooooooh yeah

I forgot about that. I don't recall seeing it in the Media Create threads. Maybe it snuck in there somewhere. Gotta check the first two weeks after the game's release.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Your up-rezzing of two very niche fighting games didn't sell gangbusters at $15?

This. Same reason I haven't bought Marvel vs Capcom 1: Origins. $15 for a quickie port (no matter how "reworked" for achievements and online they are) is too rich for my blood.

I bought Marvel 2 for $10, why would I buy Marvel 1 and Darkstalkers for $5 more?

I'm a big Darkstalkers fan and I didn't even blink an eye for this, I want a new Darkstalkers. I hope they don't make excuses that they aren't making a sequel because of this.

wait, it's Capcom, they will

They will.

Your up-rezzing of two very niche fighting games didn't sell gangbusters at $15?

Impossible.

Up-rezzing? More like selling us the roms with a shitty filter option.

Chindogg

Never understood the love for King of Fighters. It has a great cast of characters, and the basic fighting mechanic are sound, but it never stands up under scrutiny.

Kinda reminds me of Dead Or Alive in a way.

1314882171384.gif

The only reason why KoF13 isn't as big as AE or Marvel is because its online is pure garbage. Its by far the best fighter of this generation when it comes to balance, execution, and flashiness.

The fact that you compared it to DoA is frustrating beyond comprehension.

Village

Dear Capcom,

Please pump out even more fighting games.

Sincerely,
No One

Alot of people actually
They are good at it

so here is a fixed letter

Dear Capcom,

Marvel is willing to work with you again, because they need heroes advertised for movies. Take whoever off whatever lesser project they are working on and get them back on mahvel.

Also, why did you think you were gonna sell darkstalkers, when there are only 5 cool characters in the game.

Sincerely , me

Chindogg

This. Same reason I haven't bought Marvel vs Capcom 1: Origins. $15 for a quickie port (no matter how "reworked" for achievements and online they are) is too rich for my blood.

I bought Marvel 2 for $10, why would I buy Marvel 1 and Darkstalkers for $5 more?

Because its MSH and MvC1 for $15, Darkstalkers and Vampire Savior for $15. Two games in one download.

Tizoc

Technically speaking
MvC1 7.50
MSH 7.50
DS2 7.50
DS3 7.50
Going by your example, and disregarding the roster, since MvC2 ends up coming down to like 10 or so characters, each game seperately would had been sold for $10

Also MvC1 and MSH>MvC2.

Onemic

Looks like DS4 isn't happening then.

Capcom has been churning out too many old school titles recently(specifically Marvel Origins and this). They gotta slow it down.

I guess that also means CvS2: Online Edition will never happen. *cry*

Marz

1314882171384.gif

The only reason why KoF13 isn't as big as AE or Marvel is because its online is pure garbage. Its by far the best fighter of this generation when it comes to balance, execution, and flashiness.

So you're actually saying that if KoF had good netcode it would be as big as a Street Fighter or Marvel Vs. game???

Use that Gif on yourself.

SmokeMaxX

The reason it's not bigger is because it's too damn hard. Noone wants to learn that game.

Chindogg

The reason it's not bigger is because it's too damn hard. Noone wants to learn that game.

The game's all loops. It's not that hard at all. You want hard? Play Guilty Gear or Virtua Fighter at a high level. Hell even Tekken's more training intensive than KoF.

Dachande

So you're actually saying that if KoF had good netcode it would be as big as a Street Fighter or Marvel Vs. game???

"It would be as big as SF4 or Marvel" is indeed going a bit far, but the point that it would be far more popular and avoid the ridiculous opinion he quoted is very true.

Hyun Sai

The only reason why KoF13 isn't as big as AE or Marvel is because its online is pure garbage.
Not only. The game is seen as hard to get into by many players :

- Hitconfirming is way harder, especially after a jump. I saw players coming from SFIV or SfxT get very frustrated by that.

- Stricter input. No SRK from crouching position among other things.

- Learning to defend properly against hopkicks can take a long, long time for new players...

- No true comeback mechanics, and 99% of the reversals are unsafe, so no free get out of jail card with no risks when you're pressured.

Yeah, it sucks online is beyond salvation, but Persona 4 arena had slightly less numbers at the last Final Round despite having pretty good netcode and being the newer game.

Aesthetically boring characters (props to most of them having disco fever, though), uninteresting movesets, and terrible online.

Chindogg

It was #3 behind AE and Marvel at EVO for numbers. A lot of those were shirt monsters but they did actually play it. It also had the largest representation of international players at EVO. Players from Mexico, Korea, and Japan filled top 8.

HardRojo

Darkstalkers are Dead.

Shame, I remember they said something along the lines of this game being used to gauge interest for a new DS entry, we won't get it now I guess.

Capcom localize AAI2!! It's been long overdue!

HardRojo

KoF is all about fundamentals, unlike AE where guessing becomes 50% of the game, the other half is execution because it has basically become a chess game now where you do a setup and have different options depending on what your opponent will do (you can even option select/vortex foes to death! See Akuma), about Marvel... I really enjoyed it till everything became Vergil, I could put up with Wesker but Vergil's whoring is on a whole different level.

It isn't as hard as people make it out to be, look at Juicebox, iirc he doesn't have any KoF background but he was able to pick it up just nicely, same with some other OGs like Choi and an OG Ryu player whose name starts with W, I can't quite remember his name.
You don't need to learn the hardest and most ridiculous HD combos and once you get them down they'll just come out naturally, the game is definitely worth a try if you have someone else around to play with.

This generation has been pretty competitive on all those fronts. XIII is pretty high up there, though.
How about giving these games an official PC release.
Yup, I've transitioned to PC given how long this generation has gone on for. I might be in a minority but I'd buy just about any fighter released on PC, as it is I'm stuck only being able to play AE.
Yes pls

I think I'm gonna write a small letter to Sven like Karsticles did to let them know there are people out there who want to see this stuff on the PC. Hell, the US scene practically relied on GGPO for Darkstalkers before SFIV even came out.

Tizoc

I'd be interested in a new dark stalkers.

Zero interest in an overpriced HD rerelease.

It's not over priced: It's 2 games that play completely different for $15.
...it's also not an HD re-release.

In fairness, he is right. The novelty of buying a 10 year old fighter, just to go online and be destroyed by series vets has worn off on people.

You kids quit too easily...

- Hitconfirming is way harder, especially after a jump. I saw players coming from SFIV or SfxT get very frustrated by that.
Well it is a different fighting game you can't expect them all to have similiar aethsetics ;P
Actually I think KoF XIII has more lenient input, I'll need to try doing a DP after a crouching attack to see for myself, since I'm capable of doing that myself last time I played.

- No true comeback mechanics, and 99% of the reversals are unsafe, so no free get out of jail card with no risks when you're pressured.
Learn to use guard rolls and guard blows, they only use up 1 meter and meter gain in KoF XIII is fast. So there's your comeback mechanic in KoF XIII.
Though here's the thing, while comeback mechanics can help in preventing a fighting game from being one-sided, they still need to be balanced. In UMvC3's case, KFC should be 1 level only and cost a stock.
SSF4's Ultras need to have average damage between (a little under) 400 to 450 points of damage. Only other way I can see them balanced is to completely rework the meter and combo syste in SSF4.

- Learning to defend properly against hopkicks can take a long, long time for new players...

I'm not sure if I buy this.

Yeah, the game has stricter inputs and inputs for certain characters that were CLEARLY never designed for the system they put in the game (I'm looking at you Elizabeth) but aside from that I found the game MUCH easier to jump into than the likes of SSF4. I've made the comparison before but movement options and the way in which offense is handled in the game is very reminiscent to what I experience when I'm playing a Smash game. I have rolls, I have dynamic jump heights, dash-runs, and I think importantly ways to get out of pressure situations without much hassle (guard cancel blowback / roll). There's far less reliance put on an unnecessarily difficult linking system and I found offense in the game much easier to initiate.

Speaking anecdotally I was able to progress skill level wise in a game like KOF much easier than I ever was in SF4.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
$15 is a really hard sell in the DD space unless you're a fresh new game that catches just the right wave of hype and great impressions.

Filtered ports just ain't gonna do that, no matter how well you present the package.

People might be a little more understanding of a bit of an upcharge if there's external licensing hoops to jump through (Marvel, Jojo, D&D), but this game is totally Capcom's. So with this they're not only overcharging, they're casting doubt on the justifications that people have been allowing them for charging a little more than they'd like on that licensed stuff, as well.

HardRojo

Yeah, it sucks online is beyond salvation, but Persona 4 arena had slightly less numbers at the last Final Round despite having pretty good netcode and being the newer game.

For a moment I thought you were describing Third Strike.

Hyun Sai

Actually I think KoF XIII has more lenient input, I'll need to try doing a DP after a crouching attack to see for myself, since I'm capable of doing that myself last time I played.
What I meant is you can't stay crouched and do Down Forward-Down Forward to do a DP. The forward (or back) movement is mandatory.

Learn to use guard rolls and guard blows, they only use up 1 meter and meter gain in KoF XIII is fast. So there's your comeback mechanic in KoF XIII.
You can't seriously compare guard rolls and guard blows to Ultra and X-Factor lol.

Again, I don't say some people can't get into it more easily than into Capcom games. I personnally prefer the KoF Mechanics. I just observe in my local community that those who found the game harder were a large majority.

LuchaShaq

Banned
It's not over priced: It's 2 games that play completely different for $15.
...it's also not an HD re-release.

Personally not willing to throw more than a few dollars at old games. 95% of this generations "remakes" have been overpriced cash grabs.

I'm not sure if I buy this.

Yeah, the game has stricter inputs and inputs for certain characters that were CLEARLY never designed for the system they put in the game (I'm looking at you Elizabeth) but aside from that I found the game MUCH easier to jump into than the likes of SSF4. I've made the comparison before but movement options and the way in which offense is handled in the game is very reminiscent to what I experience when I'm playing a Smash game. I have rolls, I have dynamic jump heights, dash-runs, and I think importantly ways to get out of pressure situations without much hassle (guard cancel blowback / roll). There's far less reliance put on an unnecessarily difficult linking system and I found offense in the game much easier to initiate.

Speaking anecdotally I was able to progress skill level wise in a game like KOF much easier than I ever was in SF4.

Basically, SFIV is lenient with stick motions and reversals and near unforgiving when it comes to button presses (you have to be really precise and/or p-link). KOF has its own shortcuts and buffer but for the most part doesn't let you get away with half-assed stick motions, however it's very lenient when it comes to button presses since you can hold them for specials/supers. It's kind of a right hand vs left hand thing.

You kids quit too easily...

No. Us Kids have too many options.

There are something in the region of 30 fighters out now on the HD twins, each with a level of depth that could take years of practise to unlock.

Its too easy to get your ass handed to you online one too many times in one game, shrug and pick another to play. Not every game clicks immediately and these re-releases in general are much harder because the quality of the opposition (which on week one you cant even avoid because everyone is about the same rank at first). At least with games like Marvel 3 and SFIV people started on a somewhat equal foot. Its pointless to pick up Guilty gear, third strike, Darkstalkers or MVC2 because you just know you are going to be raped unless you invest a significantly higher amount of time than you would a fighter released this generation.

Village

If i may throw my yellow hat in the ring.

I think the reason its not doing as well as street fighter, aside from those already listed, is that no one has a connection to that game.

The characters are weird to many people format is strange. Not saying that people cant develop one, that's why we have different fighters. You got tekken fans, you got blaze blue fans, mortal kombat fans and what not.

KOF i guess doesn't have the appeal.

To many its just " not street fighter, or tekken, or mortal kombat" They should reinvigorate the franchise. Try something new, advertise it more to the kids

vg260

I hope Capcom collapses. I've never seen a company blame and abuse their audience as much as these boneheads.

Svensson adds: “And before people jump to the wrong conclusions, I’m not blaming fans who did buy it and supported the brand. I’m very thankful for those guys (thank you, to all of you). I’m more disappointed by my misread of the information in this particular case.”

alstein

KoF is all about fundamentals, unlike AE where guessing becomes 50% of the game, the other half is execution because it has basically become a chess game now where you do a setup and have different options depending on what your opponent will do (you can even option select/vortex foes to death! See Akuma), about Marvel... I really enjoyed it till everything became Vergil, I could put up with Wesker but Vergil's whoring is on a whole different level.

It isn't as hard as people make it out to be, look at Juicebox, iirc he doesn't have any KoF background but he was able to pick it up just nicely, same with some other OGs like Choi and an OG Ryu player whose name starts with W, I can't quite remember his name.
You don't need to learn the hardest and most ridiculous HD combos and once you get them down they'll just come out naturally, the game is definitely worth a try if you have someone else around to play with.

Juicebox is much more talented than your average pot monster. He's not a good example. Also, if you have true passion for the game, and I can tell Juicebox does, you'll improve beyond your paygrade.

KOFXIII is much harder than any other KOF to play, with the possible exception of XI.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Because its MSH and MvC1 for $15, Darkstalkers and Vampire Savior for $15. Two games in one download.

Technically speaking
MvC1 7.50
MSH 7.50
DS2 7.50
DS3 7.50
Going by your example, and disregarding the roster, since MvC2 ends up coming down to like 10 or so characters, each game seperately would had been sold for $10

Also MvC1 and MSH>MvC2.

That doesn't matter. There was no extra work involved in EITHER of the games being included in those packages to warrant a $5 price-hike.

In fact I'd go so far as to say I'd buy MvC1 stand-alone for $5, ignore MSH (since I'm more a MvC fan than the Marvel stand-alone titles) and possibly buy one of the Darkstalkers titles (or just get Jojo if it wasn't dildos priced). Alas, Capcom is stupid at pricing things at a impulse buy level.

As for KoF'13: It doesn't help that the execution is strict (like stricter than SF3 and older titles) the game is slow (not as slow as Blazblue but still pretty slow), even slower than KoF'98/'02 which were pretty decent paced and has been "niche" outside of Spanish speaking countries for ages that's why it isn't as popular as people want it to be.

KOF XIII isn't slow, what the fuck.

Juicebox is much more talented than your average pot monster. He's not a good example.

I'd say he puts in more effort than most. Talking about "talent" in his case would almost be an insult to him.

And I'd argue 02UM is harder. As a rule of thumb, XIII also gives you one more light attack to confirm off/do blockstrings than the older games before you're in far detection range. Something like cr.Bx2 st.B to Mu Shiki is much easier in XIII than it is in 98.

Hyun Sai

As for KoF'13: It doesn't help that the execution is strict (like stricter than SF3 and older titles) the game is slow (not as slow as Blazblue but still pretty slow)

KoFXIII is slow ? This is the VERY FIRST time since the game launched in the arcade I ever hear this argument, even from its worst detractors.

Wow.

Top Bottom