• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom USA VP Disappointed By Darkstalkers Resurrection Sales

Anyone interested in Darkstalkers:

- already has it on whatever format
- if an online player, already got their fix with GGPO

A rerelease would have to have appeal with fanservice (like a gallery with all DS art, stuff like that) and totally conform to the style and appeal of the series. Nobody wants new artwork, or unappealing XBLA style menus and shit. The Saturn version has all the chars, that would have been a good idea for Resurrection.

Evaluating the sales based on the popularity of DS or fighting games in general doesn't come close to telling the story.

ZenTzen

i'm sorry but 7th place isnt good? against Tomb Raider and Bioshock?

And refresh my memory but didnt MvC:Origins which is apparently the more popular brand never even got into the top 10 sellers and was against games less popular than these ones.

Tizoc

Anyone interested in Darkstalkers:

- already has it on whatever format
I don't, I had the PSP ver. but I traded it off since...fighters to me area ll about the multiplayer, and I do have others to play with.
- if an online player, already got their fix with GGPO
Except that wasn't a legal method I think?

A rerelease would have to have appeal with fanservice (like a gallery with all DS art, stuff like that) and totally conform to the style and appeal of the series.
This release does have a gallery mode where you unlock artwork.

Nobody wants new artwork, or unappealing XBLA style menus and shit. The Saturn version has all the chars, that would have been a good idea for Resurrection.
You can disable the new art by going to something that is in a lot of video games, called 'Options'.
Menus are fine in this game anyways.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Well no duh the sales weren't great. Are we supposed to jump all over old reheated leftovers? The sad thing is this could possibly affect the chance of us seeing a new Darkstalkers title, which I'm sure many gamers would be interested.

I would have paid $30 for a Hyper Darkstalkers with character setups, backgrounds and music from all three (five) games, or a HD port of Vampire Chronicles which could achieve much of this with settings. IF I knew I could play it on a current console for the next years.

With only a selection of the cast, it's not worth $15 to get an old game on a platform that will see less and less use starting next year.

Skilletor

I don't, I had the PSP ver. but I traded it off since...fighters to me area ll about the multiplayer, and I do have others to play with.

Except that wasn't a legal method I think?

This release does have a gallery mode where you unlock artwork.

You can disable the new art by going to something that is in a lot of video games, called 'Options'.
Menus are fine in this game anyways.

This post = me.

I have the ps2 collection, but my ps2 isn't hooked up, and nobody plays the game. Online might be barren, but I know people in other areas who play. I just wish I had more time. Stupid school.

JudgeN

Using your example of MvC2, it was only 1 game for $10, but This is a compilation of 2 games, so each would be 7.50, I don't see no price spike here...

This right here, I just don't understand the price complaints. People wanting to pay $7.99 for a 2 games just don't sit right with me. MvC2 was a god awful backbone port game with shit netcode for $10 while this one is a Wonderful IronGalaxy port with great netcode and 2 games for $15.

Hopefully it reaches expectation with sales and hopefully if darkstalkers IV is made it has reasonable expectations. Not bullshit like it needs to sell 2M copies because it never well.

ZenTzen

I would have paid $30 for a Hyper Darkstalkers with character setups, backgrounds and music from all three (five) games, or a HD port of Vampire Chronicles which could achieve much of this with settings. IF I knew I could play it on a current console for the next years.

With only a selection of the cast, it's not worth $15 to get an old game on a platform that will see less and less use starting next year.

you would pay for a broken mess of a game instead of one thats actually still being played to this day

I had a few lifetime's worth of DS in the 90s. I actually still play it with friends every once in awhile. Dabbled in GGPO years ago.

None of use were motivated to buy it again, the rerelease wasn't appealing right away from trying the trial version. No reason to pick it up, unless GGPO didn't exist and playing locally isn't an option.

I don't see that as an outlier.

OSHAN

I imported Vampire Chronicles back in the day, and still have it.

I would have purchased Resurrection if it was just Chronicles repackaged, but I couldn't bring myself to spend 15 bucks on what they were offering.

If it kills a new DS release, well, I think that's a bunch of shit, because I would have been there day one for that.

Baha

I feel like this would've done great on PC if only because we're starved for fighting games here on the major digital distribution platforms.

Skilletor

I imported Vampire Chronicles back in the day, and still have it.

I would have purchased Resurrection if it was just Chronicles repackaged, but I couldn't bring myself to spend 15 bucks on what they were offering.

If it kills a new DS release, well, I think that's a bunch of shit, because I would have been there day one for that.

I can't believe they'd be waiting around on the results of this release to start development on a new VS. If that were true, we wouldn't even see the game for another 2-3 years. I'd imagine we'll be getting another SF in that time frame.

vg260

What were they expecting? They didn't even try. I love the series but I'm not about to buy a shoddy port just because I get to play against some foul mouthed kids online. If they were going to bring Darkstalkers back they should've committed a little more.

Please elaborate.

Jawmuncher

Today I found out that a lot of people really want to play DSIV and not this.

I still wonder just how big the actual base for DS is if they made a new one.
Seems like it would be a hard sale to anyone but the fighting elite. Which while capcom likes they want that casual dollar to that they got with SF4 and MVC3.

Most (older) KOF fans will change your quote to '98.

You're probably right. 96 was just the one I enjoyed the most because it was the one I played the most, heh.

Lag/poor netcode aside, what incentive would there be to go to an arcade instead of staying home and playing online?

The experience. I mean, I know that's a shit answer, but there's nothing else like it. It's partially nostalgia, but it's the sense of community and discipline and rivalry that only standing next to someone who has been kicking your ass for 6 months can give you, and maybe even the high of finally kicking their ass in front of 20 people.

I mean, I'm mostly garbage at fighting games, the last one I was dominant on was MvC 1, but sitting at home getting trolled by my connection, or by 12 year olds making fart noises, or by 30 year olds pretending to be 12 years olds slinging racist and homophobic nonsense they wouldn't have the balls to say to someone in person just doesn't really capture the same essence.

Hanging out on Royal Street at the Penny Arcade playing MvC2 at 2 in the morning after working a 14 hour double shift, or throwing some dude 3 times in a row and having him threaten to stab you if you throw him again, these are the things dreams are made of~

I personally utilize and understand the basics of the game and work with it.
...but you kids're still quittin and chickening out.

But thats the whole point.

People with rudimental knowledge of fighting games will pick up the basics very quickly, but they cant grasp the subtle nuances of the game without extensive experience. Watching pro play or reading FAQ's is not the same as real hands on experience.

That in itself is not a problem, except for the fact the bulk of your competition in these games have already surpassed this hurdle. Couple months later when the ranks balance out more its less of an issue, but there is no incentive to buy these games day 1 because you will simply be raped online.

Of course, if people dont buy close to release, it causes comments like sven's about sales and in the long term the online dies out because nobody new is playing.

Pretty ballsy for this guy to complain. Does he know that this game was made in the 90s? They are pulling in pure profits right now. What did he expect. Just ridiculous.

Whats even more ridiculous is none of these psn and xbl games will work on next gen successors. This industry is on crack right now.

I already own these games and didn't want them again just for online, I want a new entry in the series....I don't want to see that fucking Morrigan sprite again for the millionth time in 15 years.

Seems like it would be a hard sale to anyone but the fighting elite. Which while capcom likes they want that casual dollar to that they got with SF4 and MVC3.

I asked a question a few months ago but no one wanted to answer it. It was what would a new DS have to sell to be considered a success. It's not going to do SF or MvC or SFxTK numbers so would it be worth it? You're not going to tap into a new market with it and the existing market probably has 2 of the 3 already mentioned. What could they possibly be looking for.

Mugaaz

Re-released niche fighting game from 2 decades ago doesn't sell shit ton of copies, suits disappointed. Holy hell.

Skilletor

I asked a question a few months ago but no one wanted to answer it. It was what would a new DS have to sell to be considered a success. It's not going to do SF or MvC or SFxTK numbers so would it be worth it? You're not going to tap into a new market with it and the existing market probably has 2 of the 3 already mentioned. What could they possibly be looking for.

I definitely think there's a market for fighting as your favorite monsters if the game were marketed right.

But it's capcom, so it wouldn't be.

I'd say 1 million would be overly optimistic. I think they'd supplement that with an arcade release, though, which might help revenue.

Azure J

Of all Capcom's fighting game franchises to get consistent lip service but no real prominence, it just had to be the one with the best combat design and audio/visual presentation...

MGrant

Did they even advertise this thing anywhere? For something that has spread almost solely by word of mouth, and considering that all of my fighting game-playing friends have bought it, I imagine that the game has done about as well as can be expected.

Syril

Please elaborate.

It's just the two arcade games with online play and little extras and achievements, and the Vampire Savior in it is missing characters that had been added in to pretty much every previous home release. That may be enough for a lot of competitive players, but it's pretty barebones in comparison to Capcom's own home versions in the past. The Dreamcast Vampire Chronicle let you match up versions of the characters from different games, even the obscure Hunter 2 and Savior 2 releases. For the newer characters, they even made up new "old" versions of them, like a version of BB Hood for how she might have been if she was in the first game for example. The more recent PSP release had all that and a giant mission/challenge mode with a ton of fights under special conditions.

Azure J said:
Of all Capcom's fighting game franchises to get consistent lip service but no real prominence, it just had to be the one with the best combat design and audio/visual presentation...

Debatable. Capcom made a lot of FGs in the 90s.

Not surprised really. Darkstalkers was huge way back in the day (more like the 90s) and even then it was a niche title that saw it's real success in the U.S. as console ports... well that's not completely true it did well in the arcades, but say like vampire savior which was only saturn import had no chance I guess. Didn't they also release it on the dreamcast?

Anyway this game needs to be reintroduced if they want kids who have no idea as to what this game is if they want to make a profit. Sorry but a risk is what they would have to take, or not; which is what it looks like right now.

R.I.P. Darkstalkers.

Ono: "Maybe it's not doing well because the game doesn't have ultras..."

Maztorre

Have no idea why they didn't put this on PC. Console sales are in decline at this stage of the generation, and the most hardcore DS enthusiasts in the West for this game were all playing it on PC through GGPO for years. A good portion of those would have supported the game alongside the newer FGC crowd.

Instead Capcom does things like releasing PC ports of SF4 and SFxTK (omitting Marvel and every 2D compilation), then even fucking around with their PC releases with delayed patches and DLC on top of GFWL bullshit. That's part of the wider problem where you get inexplicably great support for Resident Evil and DmC followed by complete silence about Dragon's Dogma. Meanwhile Dark Souls gets major hype on PC out of nowhere with the most barebones port imaginable.

The result? I literally buy none of Capcom's console output anymore, including the 2D compilations, because neither I nor seemingly they know whether it's coming to PC.

I really hope Skullgirls and the (rumoured) KOF PC releases succeed just to spite Capcom's bizarre PC support.

CAPCOM: I REALLY WANT TO BUY YOUR SHIT BUT YOU'RE FUCKING ME AROUND.

ZenTzen

It's just the two arcade games with online play and little extras and achievements, and the Vampire Savior in it is missing characters that had been added in to pretty much every previous home release. That may be enough for a lot of competitive players, but it's pretty barebones in comparison to Capcom's own home versions in the past. The Dreamcast Vampire Chronicle let you match up versions of the characters from different games, even the obscure Hunter 2 and Savior 2 releases. For the newer characters, they even made up new "old" versions of them, like a version of BB Hood for how she might have been if she was in the first game for example. The more recent PSP release had all that and a giant mission/challenge mode with a ton of fights under special conditions.

And in the process those games are broken as hell and are never played, you say they didnt commit themselves, well i say they did, they activly brought the arcade port as perfect as they can be from the 2 games that are actually played and it has one of the best netcodes on consoles.

Darkstalkers a time waster for people who want to play Capcom's big two which is more than half the scene. These people are already being served by the things they want. They'll leave DSIV the minute MvC4 and SFV are announced.

Meh, screw Darkstalkers IV.

Platinum Games x Capcom plz. There are so many similar characters to match against eachother. Throw in Morrigan and some Darkstalkers just because...

Seriously tho,

Raiden vs. Juri
Bayonetta/Jeanne vs Dante/C. Viper
Jack Caymen vs. Hakan
Wonderful 101 vs Viewtiful Joe
Sam Gideon vs Mega Man X
Sasha Ivanoff vs Cammy
Rin Rin vs Ibuki

I know there is a sour relationship between the two considering Capcom booted Kamiya ... but think of the dollars!

Also, I know MGR:R is sort of Konami's but .. think of the dollars!

Darkstalkers a time waster for people who want to play Capcom's big two which is more than half the scene. These people are already being served by the things they want. They'll leave DSIV the minute MvC4 and SFV are announced.
Street Fighter is my time waster during my wait for Darkstalkers IV. ;-)

Platinum Games x Capcom plz. There are so many similar characters to match against eachother. Throw in Morrigan and some Darkstalkers just because...

Seriously tho,

Raiden vs. Juri
Jack Caymen vs. Hakan
Sam Gideon vs Mega Man X
Sasha Ivanoff vs Cammy
Rin Rin vs Ibuki

I know there is a sour relationship between the two considering Capcom booted Kamiya ... but think of the dollars!

Sounds neat but will sell worse than PSASBR

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
This right here, I just don't understand the price complaints. People wanting to pay $7.99 for a 2 games just don't sit right with me.
Eh, packaging 2 iterations of the same contiguous fighting game series together and saying you're selling '2 games' is a stretch from the customer's viewpoint. On the surface to most people, they're ostensibly the same game but one has a few less characters. If you're really hardcore into them you might prefer the mechanics and balances of an earlier iteration, but for the vast majority, that's just bloat, most would take the version with the biggest roster and leave the other in the dust, were that choice given.

notworksafe

Last week, Svensson also hinted that Capcom would probably slow down on re-releasing their older fighting games for current platforms in light of waning sales. At the time, he explained: “It seems the novelty of such projects is wearing off even within just the fighting game community based upon the sales data of our last two launches.”
The problem isn't older fighting games, it's that almost no one gives a shit about Darkstalkers now and almost no one ever has in the past.

I'd buy an arcade perfect release of ST or CVS2, but there's almost no chance of me shelling out $15 for DSR, and I actually enjoy playing VS sometimes.

EDIT: Add Alpha 2 and 3 to the list of games I'd buy as well.

Anbec7

The problem is that some new people simple don't like the game because of the old graphics (which is really sad)
I bought this in order to play a Darkstalkers IV which I'm still waiting Ono!

ZenTzen

Seriously tho,

Raiden vs. Juri
Jack Caymen vs. Hakan
Sam Gideon vs Mega Man X
Sasha Ivanoff vs Cammy
Rin Rin vs Ibuki

as if a studio made of former disgruntled capcom employees are gonna work with them anymore

ak1976

Neo Member
Just please re-release Rival Schools and CvS2 in the US. They're both on the Japan PSN..shouldn't be too hard?

vocab

The problem isn't older fighting games, it's that almost no one gives a shit about Darkstalkers now and almost no one ever has in the past.

I'd buy an arcade perfect release of ST or CVS2, but there's almost no chance of me shelling out $15 for DSR, and I actually enjoy playing VS sometimes.

EDIT: Add Alpha 2 and 3 to the list of games I'd buy as well.

Capcom and arcade perfect doesn't compute. I mean how many times have they messed up ST, and still haven't got it right. I agree though, no one really cared about Darkstalkers. No one knew how to play the game until WAYYYYYY after the fact.

Top Bottom