• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom USA VP Disappointed By Darkstalkers Resurrection Sales

Loona

I would have bought CvS2, sry Capcom

This right here - and considering how often KoF came up in this thread, it might sell better too.

I didn't buy the PSP port because it was a terrible format for a 6-button fighting game, but everything else about it interested me, so a console-scale version might have gotten my money - if I'm to spend money on a DS game that uses old assest, I'd better be able to fight Pyron with B.B. Hood, and Dee was a nice perk. Buying some of those character together but having them locked away in different games is kinda frustrating.

The playable Anita from the console version of Marvel Super Heroes adapted to the DS engine would be the icing on the cake, as would everything else that was meant for a hypothetical 4th DS game that ended up in MvC2 - Amingo, SonSon, Ruby Heart and stuff like Felicia's nun intro added to all the classic content would be a hell of a swan song for the 2D life of the series, one which I'd actually spend money on - at it stands, it doesn't feel worth it.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
The U.S. didn't care about Darkstalkers in the mid-90s when fighting games were far more popular, so what the hell was Capcom expecting now?

So Super Street Fight 4 is not a thing?

That didn't happen?

And then they didn't do it YET AGAIN for MvC?

No?

The wiki quotes you posted gave reasons for why they had to be disc releases. So I don't really understand why you're angry unless you're arguing for the sake of it.

Elixist

kind of a shame, but its old it was never extremely popular either. played the heck out of it on psp( great version) and i have it on mame. ill take a new one in a heartbeat tho, specialy a handrawn one.

Aselith

The wiki quotes you posted gave reasons for why they had to be disc releases. So I don't really understand why you're angry unless you're arguing for the sake of it.

Does it matter really to the casual fan who buys version 1 then version 2 gets released and now I have to buy version 2 to get the full experience? Not at all. He just cares that I have to buy it twice and just fuck it in the future.

They're complaining about lowered sales for the casual audience not that hardcore fighting game fans are no longer buying stuff.

That's why they're losing sales. No one wants someone to treat them like a cow to be milked and that's what it begins to feel like with Capcom fighting games.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The U.S. didn't care about Darkstalkers in the mid-90s when fighting games were far more popular, so what the hell was Capcom expecting now?

My guess is they were expecting it to generate more appeal on its own merits after listening to fans go on about how amazing it was and how much it was still 99 times better than any present day fighting game. You know, the usual stuff you hear in the FG community.

Sven was very diplomatic in his statement and didn't "blame the fans". He also said he "misread" the situation.

To me that sounds like he's thinking "I shouldn't have taken fans on the internet so seriously, won't be making that mistake again."

That's why they're losing sales. No one wants someone to treat them like a cow to be milked and that's what it begins to feel like with Capcom fighting games.

I think the only time Capcom has legitimately tried to milk fans was with SFxT. I've bought all the versions of SF4 and I can't say that I've felt "milked." I can't speak for everyone, though.

Skilletor

My guess is they were expecting it to generate more appeal on its own merits after listening to fans go on about how amazing it was and how much it was still 99 times better than any present day fighting game. You know, the usual stuff you hear in the FG community.

Sven was very diplomatic in his statement and didn't "blame the fans". He also said he "misread" the situation.

To me that sounds like he's thinking "I shouldn't have taken fans on the internet so seriously, won't be making that mistake again."

If they're using the internet to gauge whether or not a title is worth releasing, they deserve to lose money.

And VS IS better than any fighter Capcom has made recently. ;)

kirblar

I think the only time Capcom has legitimately tried to milk fans was with SFxT. I've bought all the versions of SF4 and I can't say that I've felt "milked." I can't speak for everyone, though.
They're also learning that they need to treat large updates like Expansion packs, not new releases. You can charge $40 for UMvC3/SSF4 - just require the original game, so initial users don't feel cheated.

Kai Dracon

If they're using the internet to gauge whether or not a title is worth releasing, they deserve to lose money.

And VS IS better than any fighter Capcom has made recently. ;)

Well, Square Enix was evidently using metacritic scores of other people's games to estimate how many copies of an Eidos game they could sell.

Capcom may have been dumb here, but I do find some degree of irony if the reason they were dumb was because they listened to the fans - the thing fans say they never do.

Though I don't think anyone is doubting how good Vampire Savior is.

Skilletor

Well, Square Enix was evidently using metacritic scores of other people's games to estimate how many copies of an Eidos game they could sell.

Capcom may have been dumb here, but I do find some degree of irony if the reason they were dumb was because they listened to the fans - the thing fans say they never do.

Though I don't think anyone is doubting how good Vampire Savior is.

It's fine to "listen to the fans," but you should budget accordingly. I'm pretty sure that Capcom recently said that the fighting game market was over saturated. I'm pretty sure they can tell exactly how many copies VS has sold in the past and use that to project how much money they should spend releasing this version. The consumer is not to blame if a company doesn't make its money back.

Edit: Yup. They blamed over saturation for SFxT's performance:
http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2012/...tion-street-fighter-x-tekkens-sluggish-sales/

Ardvent

I'm a big Darkstalkers fan and I didn't even blink an eye for this, I want a new Darkstalkers. I hope they don't make excuses that they aren't making a sequel because of this.

wait, it's Capcom, they will

During development they said, that the future of Darkstalkers rides on Resurrection's sales. - Joystiq Article (source)

Guessing no Darkstalkers 4, which annoys me because I would have bought both SF3 Remix and Darkstalkers Ressurection if they were on my platform.

GetemMa

Nobody wanted to play old Darkstalkers games so now they won't make a new one.

What a horrible, self defeating strategy.

It's probably not doing anything amazing, but I'm sure it's getting more than adequate sales. You don't make the top 10 by doing nothing.

I think this is another case of Capcom expecting too much. You can't release an old duo of games of a very technical series, take out a bunch of content, and then expect it to sell like wildfire. They aren't playing all the angles right.

Anyway, as I said before, I still think it's pretty obvious that DS4 is on the horizon. Ono and Niitsuma have to be working on something and all the hallmarks are there. We'll just have to hope that they are a bit smarter in how they handle future releases.

This is kind of what I was getting at.

And I hope you're right about DS4.

Kai Dracon

It's fine to "listen to the fans," but you should budget accordingly. I'm pretty sure that Capcom recently said that the fighting game market was over saturated. I'm pretty sure they can tell exactly how many copies VS has sold in the past and use that to project how much money they should spend releasing this version. The consumer is not to blame if a company doesn't make its money back.

Edit: Yup. They blamed over saturation for SFxT's performance:
http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2012/...tion-street-fighter-x-tekkens-sluggish-sales/

This does make me wonder how long ago DSR and MVCO were greenlit at Iron Galaxy. Maybe before it was clear SFxT was in real trouble.

Degen

Darkstalkers doesn't have half of the hype behind it as MvC2, SF2, or Third Strike

In that sense, I'd put Capcom vs SNK 2 and maybe even Power Stone above it

how well did the Darkstalkers series even sell when it was new?

Looks like DS4 isn't happening then.

Capcom has been churning out too many old school titles recently(specifically Marvel Origins and this). They gotta slow it down.

I guess that also means CvS2: Online Edition will never happen. *cry*

I'd buy CVS2 in a heartbeat. Darkstalkers, not so much.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Darkstalkers doesn't have half of the hype behind it as MvC2, SF2, or Third Strike

I'm pretty confident if they put out CvS2 it wouldn't do much better than DS:R. Maybe even worse.

I'm pretty confident if they put out CvS2 it wouldn't do much better than DS:R. Maybe even worse.

The only version out in the foreign PSN stores is the PS2 Classic version, so of course it wouldn't sell as well. If they actually bothered to make an updated version with netcode and the like, then it would be different.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The only version out in the foreign PSN stores is the PS2 Classic version, so of course it wouldn't sell as well. If they actually bothered to make an updated version with netcode and the like, then it would be different.
Yeah I'm talking about an Iron Galaxy re-release rather than a PSN port.

I think it's even more of a case of the hardcore being vocal about the game where nobody else would care.

ZenTzen

heres the thing, while DSR is an awesome port as perfect to the arcade as it can be with pretty awesome online, what FG fans and DS fans have been asking for isnt rereleases of old Darkstalkers games but a DS4, but thats beside the point, DSR is in 7th place on psn bestsellers, not even MvC:Origins reached top 10 and that game is arguably a more popular IP than Darkstalkers, capcom would be stupid not to see that.

Tik-Tok

I did not buy Darkstalkers Resurrection. I would buy Darkstalkers IV.

Fighting games are my main interest/hobby, and that interest is waning because I've been playing updated versions of the same games since 2008, or worse, re-releases of games I've been playing since the 90's

Give me a new fighting game Capcpom.

Degen

heres the thing, while DSR is an awesome port as perfect to the arcade as it can be with pretty awesome online, what FG fans and DS fans have been asking for isnt rereleases of old Darkstalkers games but a DS4, but thats beside the point, DSR is in 7th place on psn bestsellers, not even MvC:Origins reached top 10 and that game is arguably a more popular IP than Darkstalkers, capcom would be stupid not to see that.
MvC Origins was a tougher sell than Darkstalkers. MvC2 is out, MvC3 is out, UMvC3 is out, and we're supposed to want the oldest Marvel games why, exactly?

Origins also had two major new fighting games to compete with in September. As far as I know, Darkstalkers was all clear

Either way, list placement doesn't mean a lot when Capcom is looking at actual sales data. And Sven was disappointed by Origins sales too

ZenTzen

MvC Origins was a tougher sell than Darkstalkers. MvC2 is out, MvC3 is out, UMvC3 is out, and we're supposed to want the oldest Marvel games why, exactly?

Origins also had two major new fighting games to compete with in September. As far as I know, Darkstalkers was all clear

Either way, list placement doesn't mean a lot when Capcom is looking at actual sales data. And Sven was disappointed by Origins sales too

sure, but SF 3rd Strike also never got into the list either, and going by what we're seeing here DSR is the one that did better and the DS games were never as popular as SF or MvC games, but thats beside the point what FG fans and DS fans have been asking for is a DS4 and not a rerelease, when people first saw that Darkstalkers CG trailer, they were hoping for DS4 not DSR and yet DSR is the one that got into the top 10 list, 3S and MvCO never did that

Toski

They're also learning that they need to treat large updates like Expansion packs, not new releases. You can charge $40 for UMvC3/SSF4 - just require the original game, so initial users don't feel cheated.

I think this going to happen with fighting games next-gen. One disc release with the expansions sold as downloads.

while DS is the precursor to the MvC series they hardly play the same
That is why I said "something new". Darkstalkers is a poor replacement for MvC which means it has no place today. It's not a tag fighter of any sort and Morrigan will never replace Phoenix. If Capcom somehow expanded the audience enough for a third completely different IP then Darkstalkers would have a place. So far they can't do that without relying on Street Fighter somehow. No other company is managing to make more than two work either(Netherrealm moved on to Injustice and Namco can only do Tekken/Souls).
I'm talking about among the casual gamer, not fighting game fans. The person who couldn't tell the difference between 3S, Alpha, and III, might have thought they transitioned to 3D fighting with EX, and wouldn't have known anyone in SFIV except for the mainstays.
Nah, the average person ain't that silly. The automatic association is 2D and Third Strike had one of the most watched moments in fighting game history. The IP was still fresh enough to produce a 5 million unit seller. No amount of marketing could do that for a stale IP that people are confused or forgetful about.
If you're a tourney player, you're not going to be replacing your PS3 for a good long while.
Too bad there aren't another 100,000 of those people laying around.
What was different about the port / package compared to 3SO? Comparable emulation quality, better netcode, same amount of work put into the interface and presentation. Same replay / uploading features. Same character trials, comparable amount of artwork extras. Same display filters like scanlines / monitor curve.

The only thing lacking compared to 3SO is lack of arranged music as an option - just a few tracks are arranged for the menu music.

Sorry, it's just the one thing that gets me - many are calling it a shoddy or lazy port and I can't see it. Actually, MvC Origins was more rushed in comparison with a lack of trials, lacking the replay functionality / youtube uploading, etc.
Yep, Resurrection came better packaged than just about all of the other fighters from day one. It's one of the better jobs IG has done so far.
Dude

UMvC3

Oh, it has the hype. It's just that hype doesn't mean squat. Show me the money and the numbers. That is the real deal. That is the difference between games like Vampire Savior and MvC2.

A little off topic, but the only time I felt nearly as fucked over after the announcement of UMvC3 as a disc only update for $40 was with Blazblue CS2 Extend.
Super Street Fighter 4 was suspect, but I didn't feel as ripped off because (1) I hadn't paid for a copy of SF4 and (2) They added what, 12 new characters including 2 brand new. Seemed like a hell of a lot more (the roster increased by like 40-50%, right? I dunno... just seemed like there was more to the re-release.
Also, I was fine with AE since they let people buy the complete package or pay $15 to get the part they were missing.

Anyway, I think I made my point... somewhere... up there.

ZenTzen

That is why I said "something new". Darkstalkers is a poor replacement for MvC which means it has no place today. It's not a tag fighter of any sort and Morrigan will never replace Phoenix. If Capcom somehow expanded the audience enough for a third completely different IP then Darkstalkers would have a place. So far they can't do that without relying on Street Fighter somehow. No other company is managing to make more than two work either(Netherrealm moved on to Injustice and Namco can only do Tekken/Souls).
Darkstalkers was never a replacement for MvC mainly because it does its own thing and i trully believe DS can have its place, capcom just needs to stop giving poor excuses and give DS4(if it ever happens to be announced) the marketing and exposure DS1-DS3 never had

ak1976

Neo Member
This is slightly off topic, but does anyone know the release of the "final"patch for Third Strike Online Edition? Iron Galaxy was supposed to release the patch shortly after Darkstalkers came out, yet there hasn't been a peep from them.

ZenTzen

This is slightly off topic, but does anyone know the release of the "final"patch for Third Strike Online Edition? Iron Galaxy was supposed to release the patch shortly after Darkstalkers came out, yet there hasn't been a peep from them.

theres a patch for DSR on the 12th, the 3SO patch will probably come out after that but there isnt a date for it

Sven responded to my PM; he is a gracious fellow:
I appreciate the feedback and the insights. I'm actually pleased at the insights discussions at Neogaf, reddit and some of the media site comments have yielded. It's not "good news" for us, but it's insights which help inform and direct.

Thanks for taking the time to write in.

vocab

Almost certainly worse. It's even more hardcore-only than DS.

On a high level sure, but as a game to pick up and play with your friends? Hell no. It takes the best things from KOF/SF. It's a really fun game regardless of skill level.

If you mean something else like a game with zero online, and just a ps2 port, I completely agree.

kirblar

On a high level sure, but as a game to pick up and play with your friends? Hell no. It takes the best things from KOF/SF. It's a really fun game regardless of skill level.

If you mean something else like a game with zero online, and just a ps2 port, I completely agree.
I mean that no one outside of a hardcore audience has even heard of/played the game.

I mean that no one outside of a hardcore audience has even heard of/played the game.

That's because it's more than a decade old and hasn't gotten any sort of support/recognition since its heyday. I still want it, though. :(

And plenty of casuals played it. Hell, it's what made me want to play fighting games competitively.

I was about to shotgun this when it was released, but then I played the demo and I knew this isn't what I wanted to play in the long run. I took a break from third strike and fighters at the time. I would rather play Alpha 3 or CvS2. I mentioned this in the capcom character survey a month ago.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

Maybe, but being easy to pick up and play doesn't mean shit when you don't have the appeal to draw in players or make them look and listen in the first place. At least Darkstalkers has it's art going for it. Pretty sure nobody in the casual/broad audience today wants a vs. SNK game, or knows what SNK is.

Adding the same bells and whistles Iron Galaxy has been doing just doesn't have the impact it did when they did SF2 (I think they did this?) and 3S.

The rerelease saga is fizzling out. For Sven: I want new games right now Capcom, even through the saturated markets. But I truly believe if you make something that will have a large splash like a new DS or a new SF or Fighters of Capcom or whatever, it will have a a greater chance of having breakout success compared to another iteration of SF4/MvC3 or something that uses it's assets like SFxTK.

I know, development takes time, and this is probably still far out, but I think we'll see with Injustice if you bring enough new features to the table, people will take note. At this point, I expect no more of that "friendly competition" between teams at Capcom. Every game should take SFxTK's featureset and build upon it moving forward. Full colour edit mode and all. Local replay save functionality, online training mode, proper tutorial modes that teach instead of tell for new players, etc. There needs to be a Capcom title that wows in all regards and not just off of the strength of the IP or combat system, but what you're doing now that hasn't been done before or as good.

The good news is that he has to be reading about PC port requests. They've probably got a good reason for not making them.
It was either Sven or someone else who said they can't see themselves releasing a fighting game in the future that isn't on PC. Capcom and PC are good friends now, no need to worry.

Capcom says a lot of things. I'll wait until I see at least two PC ports of the classics(at least one not Street Fighter related) before I start believing them.
Are you saying Capcom planned the natural disasters? Wouldn't put it past them. :p
No, but they could sure as hell decide on what to do about UMvC3. It was avoidable and you know it. That 9 month update in particular is what started the saturation of the market and handicapped SFxT before it even came out.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Capcom says a lot of things. I'll wait until I see at least two PC ports of the classics(at least one not Street Fighter related) before I start believing them.
Oh you're talking old games?

Yeah not happening. Don't think there's much of a market for that either. They were referring to new games IIRC.

Everyone in here has been talking about PC ports of these collections. Why would I be talking about anything else? lol

Yeah, there is no doubt that Capcom are talking primarily about new games.

Top Bottom