• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom USA VP Disappointed By Darkstalkers Resurrection Sales

as if a studio made of former disgruntled capcom employees are gonna work with them anymore

I addressed this. Think of the dollars!

Just please re-release Rival Schools and CvS2 in the US. They're both on the Japan PSN..shouldn't be too hard?

Rival Schools 2 / Project Justice is one of the last Dreamcast/Arcade titles that really could use a re-release badly.

Almost everything worth a damn on Dreamcast has been re-released or re-mastered. It's getting harder and harder to find stuff unique to the thing anymore.

I did my part, I got both versions
even though I got the PS3 version for free
The three characters missing from DS3 should have been in there though and maybe DS2 as an extra that's not playable online. It's not like Origins where there is obviously one game that's better than the other.

nephilim07

Neo Member
This is really sad to hear as my friend and I were looking forward to this as a precursor to Capcom announcing DS4 if sales were good =/. I guess that's not happening, but hey he only stated not re-releasing old fighting games, so maybe there still is a chance for DS4.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I can bet anything that those clamoring it's a shoddy port haven't even played the demo. The online is flawless and the challenges are tough but well done, also the new art can be turned off.

I can understand those angry at the lack of 3 characters in this release. But if you want to play them so badly you can grab the PSOne version of DS 3 off PSN. And who knows, they might be included later as DLC.

vg260

This is really sad to hear as my friend and I were looking forward to this as a precursor to Capcom announcing DS4 if sales were good =/. I guess that's not happening, but hey he only stated not re-releasing old fighting games, so maybe there still is a chance for DS4.

I don't think this kills DS4. MvC3 was in the works before Mvc2 re-release actually came out, and I suspect the same here.

dacuk

I'd have purchased an HD / remake of Street Fighter Alpha 3 for sure...(with all the characters on the PSP version.)

Edit:

Yeah, you people comparing the PS1 port to this are hilarious. The amount of cut frames on the PS1 version is a joke. Makes me wonder how many people have even played a decent version of the game.
Street Fighter is my time waster during my wait for Darkstalkers IV. ;-)
Fortunately for Street Fighter it has a gigantic base of dedicated players. That is why Capcom will milk it to hell and back. The same can't be said for Darkstalkers.

entremet

I can bet anything that those clamoring it's a shoddy port haven't even played the demo. The online is flawless and the challenges are tough but well done, also the new art can be turned off.

I can understand those angry at the lack of 3 characters in this release. But if you want to play them so badly you can grab the PSOne version of DS 3 off PSN. And who knows, they might be included later as DLC.
That version is so janky. This is sad for arcade perfect ports.

alstein

I'd have purchased an HD / remake of Street Fighter Alpha 3 for sure...(with all the characters on the PSP version.)

ONly way I'd buy an Alpha collection is if they rebalanced and remixed the gameplay- it wouldn't hold up well today.

Edit:

Yeah, you people comparing the PS1 port to this are hilarious. The amount of cut frames on the PS1 version is a joke. Makes me wonder how many people have even played a decent version of the game.

Fortunately for Street Fighter it has a gigantic base of dedicated players. That is why Capcom will milk it to hell and back. The same can't be said for Darkstalkers.
You have to create that dedicated fanbase, though. Street Fighter was a vague memory until SFIV came out.

You have to create that dedicated fanbase, though. Street Fighter was a vague memory until SFIV came out.
I don't really have a good reply to this. Street Fighter was not a vague memory before SFIV.

There is no room for Darkstalkers. Maybe something new to completely replace the MvC series, but that is it.

ZenTzen

hardly a vague memory, normaly when people think about a FG, its for the most part instantly SF, the fanbase was always there and its arguably the largest

I don't really have a good reply to this. Street Fighter was not a vague memory before SFIV.

There is no room for Darkstalkers. Maybe something new to completely replace the MvC series, but that is it.

while DS is the precursor to the MvC series they hardly play the same

joe2187

Banned
Whats the original intended sales goal?

Whatever, been a darkstalkers fan since the beginning, I'll play this version Online, Local till the new one comes out or...never.

One of the best fighting games Capcom has ever made.

hardly a vague memory, normaly when people think about a FG, its for the most part instantly SF, the fanbase was always there and its arguably the largest
I'm talking about among the casual gamer, not fighting game fans. The person who couldn't tell the difference between 3S, Alpha, and III, might have thought they transitioned to 3D fighting with EX, and wouldn't have known anyone in SFIV except for the mainstays.

Capcom should release a fighter that is heavily customize-able (to various setting form different fighters) and release DLC character packs

Foffy

Banned
Weren't these just ports? Like..I don't see people jumping for ports unless they're super huge updates, but after a sea of ports from Capcom I think they poisoned their own pot.

tearsofash

I bought it and I almost never buy these sorts of things lately. I think they should wait until MvC/SFxT/SFIV have become a little more out of the picture to introduce a new Darkstalkers.

Wait until next-gen and make other series' more prevalent because 4 at once by one company is a little much.

I always felt that games older than this or last generation released on XBLA/PSN should be at the most $10, so always felt it was a bit pricey.

Also, I like how you can easily discern those haven't played KOFXIII for more than an hour and those that have, learn to hold inputs people.

Here's hoping for modded netcode for the Steam version.

I hope this doesn't discourage them from bringing out other classics.

Dark Stalkers was never a huge thing to begin with. Someone miscalculated if they thought otherwise.

Mileena

Banned
Never understood the love for King of Fighters. It has a great cast of characters, and the basic fighting mechanic are sound, but it never stands up under scrutiny.

Kinda reminds me of Dead Or Alive in a way.
Comparing KoF to DoA? My god I need to rip out my eyes. DoA is poo.

alstein

Alpha 2 would!

I want Alpha 2 gameplay, alpha 3 upper roster.

Same here.

Regarding remixes: Sirlin in one of his dev blogs, said he thought doing an Alpha remix would have been a better idea than a SF2 remix for an HDR, but Capcom wanted SF2 instead.

DasRaven

While it sucks that the sales numbers are bad, I'm just glad we have a good version of the game to use at tourneys/sessions.

Also, for some people having Donovan, Phobos, and Pyron in Savior was a huge deal and it affected their purchasing decision.

This describes me perfectly. And I played a ton of arcade VS.
Without the "full" roster, I'll wait for a good sale or a PS+ freebie.

I've got The Chaos Tower until then.

Tizoc

Just please re-release Rival Schools and CvS2 in the US. They're both on the Japan PSN..shouldn't be too hard?

The PS2 ver. of Capcom vs. SNK 2 (which is apparently not the best ver. of the game) should be releasing this month to US PSN.
I dunno how Gung Ho do it, but Capcom should ask them for relasing the 1st PSX Rival Schools game as a JPN import, unless that's tied to even more complex licensing deals.

bought it on PSN and 360. Maybe if you bastards supported PC then I could have helped you out again.

Damn capcom is never happy! I cant support the company alone!

Did they really expect anything else? First it seemed pretty damn pricey ($15? how about $10 at most), it's a really niche series, and honestly, I wasn't impressed with the quality of the port at all. It felt lazy compared to Third Strike Online. I bought it day one because Darkstalkers holds a nostalgic place in my heart and I wanted to show support for the franchise, but for the price and quality I regret the purchase.

TheOGB

Banned
Maybe if we got this before MvC Origins things would have been different*

*this is not based on any kind of evidence whatsoever

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Did they really expect anything else? First it seemed pretty damn pricey ($15? how about $10 at most), it's a really niche series, and honestly, I wasn't impressed with the quality of the port at all. It felt lazy compared to Third Strike Online. I bought it day one because Darkstalkers holds a nostalgic place in my heart and I wanted to show support for the franchise, but for the price and quality I regret the purchase.

What was different about the port / package compared to 3SO? Comparable emulation quality, better netcode, same amount of work put into the interface and presentation. Same replay / uploading features. Same character trials, comparable amount of artwork extras. Same display filters like scanlines / monitor curve.

The only thing lacking compared to 3SO is lack of arranged music as an option - just a few tracks are arranged for the menu music.

Sorry, it's just the one thing that gets me - many are calling it a shoddy or lazy port and I can't see it. Actually, MvC Origins was more rushed in comparison with a lack of trials, lacking the replay functionality / youtube uploading, etc.

Aselith

Maybe they shouldn't have killed the market by doing the Super Streetfighter 2/ Hyper Edition nonsense with SF4 and MvC. Make one version of your fucking game that you can add stuff into assholes.

Skilletor

Maybe they shouldn't have killed the market by doing the Super Streetfighter 2/ Hyper Edition nonsense with SF4 and MvC. Make one version of your fucking game that you can add stuff into assholes.

The last time you had to buy a disc for SF4 was 3 years ago.

Dai101

Banned
DSR is by far the best re-release of an arcade game by far. the net code is FLAWLESS. But yeah, i've to agree that is too niche, it wasn't to sell more than that.

I won't regret buying it since is the only way i can play against other people. It never got a proper scene here, or anywhere else sans Japan.

Aselith

And they did that with Super SF4.

So Super Street Fight 4 is not a thing?

Super Street Fighter IV is a 2010 fighting game produced by Capcom. It is an updated version of Street Fighter IV and has been said to mark the definitive end of the Street Fighter IV series.[1] Having been deemed as too large an update to be deployed as DLC, the game was made into a standalone title, but given a lower price than that of a full retail game.

That didn't happen?

And then they didn't do it YET AGAIN for MvC?

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 is a crossover fighting game developed by Capcom. It is an updated version of Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds. After the events of the 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami disrupted the development schedule for downloadable content for the original game, the additional content was made into a standalone title for a discount retail price.

No?

Top Bottom