• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom's 2 million unit Monster Hunter game for this fiscal year isn't MH: Stories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Port any of them to Steam. I'll even take Freedom Unite as I can no longer ad hoc party that shit :(

No idea why the game can't be multi platform now.

If Capcom really wants to expand this franchise to the west, there is absolutely no reason to not bring it to PS4. Maybe this new MH can go Smash route? Smaller version for 3DS and a much prettier version for PS4, then when the NX's installed bases are big enough they can port the PS4 version to NX.

Kinsei

Banned
If Capcom really wants to expand this franchise to the west, there is absolutely no reason to not bring it to PS4. Maybe this new MH can go Smash route? Smaller version for 3DS and a much prettier version for PS4, then when the NX's installed bases are big enough they can port the PS4 version to NX.

Making the definitive version on PS4 will probably never happen. At most they'd just upres the handheld version like they did with P3rd and 3U.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
PS4/NX obv.

NX will have a portable version which will get the game - they cant keep catering to the old 3DS hardware when they are gearing up for MH5. Also dont underestimate the launch bonus - Capcom shipped 1m SSF4 3D units just because they had the right game at the right time.

yami4ct

PS4/NX obv.

NX will have a portable version which will get the game - they cant keep catering to the old 3DS hardware when they are gearing up for MH5.

NX will have both the portable and console version. I very much expect NX handheld software to be cross compatible. I honestly don't see Capcom doing a PS4 port and I don't really see the series growing that much more in the west. It's hit really well, but the kind of audience that's going to be into that game is always going to be a niche unless they make some major changes to the gameplay (and I don't think or want them to make those changes).

A NX and 3DS based MH5 would make a ton of sense. Integrate some of what they learned in X, launch a new gen of monsters. If there's a game people will buy hardware for, it's MonHun 5.

That is unless they plan to introduce X as its own series that always follows a main gen, but that would be an odd choice.

lyrick

441K LTD. Not bad for a port.

But still a far cry from a 2M estimate.

Even if they went global PC, PS4, Xbox One, PS3, and Xbox 360 (may as well dump Wii U in there too just because), I'm still not sure 2M wouldn't be over reaching.

This really just seems like another 3DS 'G' entry.

Eolz

I think many people forget that if Capcom went for Nintendo, it's also because they were willing to help share the costs and to make it popular in the west. As long as it's exclusive, Nintendo will keep pushing it. I'm not sure Sony would really care, especially now that they don't have an handheld to support this game in Japan.

Only thing im getting at from this is a new mainline entry for PS4. I mean it just makes sense.

2M PS4 only, and possibly japan only, makes sense to you?

yami4ct

Only thing im getting at from this is a new mainline entry for PS4. I mean it just makes sense.

That makes absolutely no sense at all. There's a small chance a game gets ported to PS4 for the west, but it won't do 2M. A mainline game focused on PS4? Never. MH is a game that got popular in Japan because it was handheld. It's console releases have never hit that hard. The sales they'd lose going console in Japan are in no way going to be picked up by new western fans.

Producer

I think many people forget that if Capcom went for Nintendo, it's also because they were willing to help share the costs and to make it popular in the west. As long as it's exclusive, Nintendo will keep pushing it. I'm not sure Sony would really care, especially now that they don't have an handheld to support this game in Japan.

2M PS4 only, and possibly japan only, makes sense to you?

That makes absolutely no sense at all. There's a small chance a game gets ported to PS4 for the west, but it won't do 2M. A mainline game focused on PS4? Never. MH is a game that got popular in Japan because it was handheld. It's console releases have never hit that hard. The sales they'd lose going console in Japan are in no way going to be picked up by new western fans.

im joking , should have put an /s in there. Its something i see in mh threads, thought i'd poke fun at it.

Daft Punk

Banned

I think people are starting to underestimate the impact a MH title on consoles would have if released worldwide. Do you honestly think a PS4/Xbox One version of the game wouldn't sell?

yami4ct

I think people are starting to underestimate the impact a MH title on consoles would have if released worldwide. Do you honestly think a PS4/Xbox One version of the game wouldn't sell?

To the degree that it sells currently in Japan? Nah. They'd certainly lose Japanese sales and I don't think there are enough new Western fans to make up the difference. I think the core gameplay puts a cap on how many people in the West would actually be interested in the franchise. MonHun will likely never be console focused for a reason.

lyrick

Tri was Global, on the freaking Wii during its heyday with Marketing help from Nintendo and it didn't hit 2M.

Vena

Not really a question of "would it sell" or not, it already showed the ability to sell over a million in the west on the 3DS, but more of a question of is it worthwhile, monetarily and looking at development costs, to make said game at the cost of your established fanbase on handhelds and, moreover, where you domestic market is a dilapidated tirefire outside of the 3DS.

Would they sell more than what they already sold on the 3DS in the west?
Would they make up the lost sales in Japan?
Would they make up the orders of magnitude larger budget and expensive assets?

Obviously, once the 3DS retires and the next generation handheld launches, things become much murkier.

Sony has been investing in Capcom for their PS4 titles (SFV and Deep Down) so I won't be surprised if they're willing to give MH support as much as Nintendo did.

Daft Punk

Banned
To the degree that it sells currently in Japan? Nah. They'd certainly lose Japanese sales and I don't think there are enough new Western fans to make up the difference. I think the core gameplay puts a cap on how many people in the West would actually be interested in the franchise. MonHun will likely never be console focused for a reason.

I agree. I'm not saying for MH to focus exclusively on consoles, but you would have to be naive to think a release DQXI like release on both 3DS/PS4 wouldn't put some serious cash into Capcom's pockets if released worldwide.

Eolz

Sony has been investing in Capcom for their PS4 titles (SFV and Deep Down) so I won't be surprised if they're willing to give MH support as much as Nintendo did.

The difference is that SFV and MonHun aim for completely different audiences and are important for different reasons.
Who knows in which shape Deep Down is and to which extent Sony is helping.

yami4ct

I don't think Sony could pay Capcom enough money to get MonHun off of handhelds for the mainline. It'd be suicide for the series in Japan. Maybe they could get a port of a G game, but I don't think it's all that likely.

I agree. I'm not saying for MH to focus exclusively on consoles, but you would have to be naive to think a release DQXI like release on both 3DS/PS4 wouldn't put some serious cash into Capcom's pockets if released worldwide.

Developing a real PS4 version would be expensive as hell. I just don't see the sales being there to justify it. Maybe an upressed port like 3U got for Wii U, but even that seems like a bit of a long shot.

I think you overestimate the serie popularity in West. On top of that, I'm doubtful the Western sales would make it for the lost Japanese sales.

I don't think Sony could pay Capcom enough money to get MonHun off of handhelds for the mainline. It'd be suicide for the series in Japan. Maybe they could get a port of a G game, but I don't think it's all that likely.

I never said it shouldn't be on handheld. I was suggesting PS4/3DS, with Sony doing console localization in the West. Or are we willing to accept MH on PS4/Mobile?

yami4ct

I never said it shouldn't be on handheld. I was suggesting PS4/3DS, with Sony doing console localization in the West. Or are we willing to accept MH on PS4/Mobile?

Capcom has tried MonHun on mobile and it's flopped. That game is so complicated that I don't think they can replicate the handheld success.

NX/3DS Gen 5 game seems like the safe bet IMO. Lets them capitalize on NX launch craze, keeps the Nintendo relationship well and alive and capitalizes on the 3DS install base. I don't see the benefit a PS4 edition has.

Eolz

The only way it would be PS4/3DS would be to have an NX version on top of it, and even then, online wouldn't work (3DS doesn't do crossplatform).
There's no console and handheld localization too, just one for both platforms...

-MB-

You cannot have a MH thread without ppl begging for Playstation MHs...

It's like you people never learn.

gtj1092

If there is an NX version I can't see why there couldn't be a Ps4 version. If the claim is that it's expensive to make a ps4 MH then it would be equally expensive to do an NX one.

Always odd to read an NX thread talking about the ease and want of ports but talk about MH going the other way and the pitchforks come out.

Let's not forget DQ11 would never come to PlayStation either until it did.

yami4ct

If there is an NX version I can't see why there couldn't be a Ps4 version. If the claim is that it's expensive to make a ps4 MH then it would be equally expensive to do an NX one.

Always odd to read an NX thread talking about the ease and want of ports but talk about MH going the other way and the pitchforks come out.

They have to do NX at some point because it's going to be the only valid handheld. It might get an NX console version because that might come 'free' with making the handheld version. The PS4 version does not come similarly free and I have a hard time seeing them dropping the Nintendo co-marketing relationship to pick it up.

It's a different scenario from DQ, which has had numerous and very successful console versions.

Do you guys think NX handheld will launch in march 2017, additionally to NX home?

Depends on what it is. If it runs all the same games as the console, then maybe. If it's truly a shared platform, I think it'd be a good idea to launch them all decently close together and get as large an installed base as they can as quickly as possible.

Eolz

Monster Hunter PS4V - PS4/Vita cross buy.. Now that's E3 megaton.

Vita support would indeed be quite the megaton.

There's no pitchforks, it's just what make sense. It's not just about ease of port in the case of MonHun, and it's hardly comparable to DQ (also on NX and 3DS, and that doesn't need crossplatform multiplayer).

Do you guys think NX handheld will launch in march 2017, additionally to NX home?

I doubt it. Likely either summer or fall.

Well Dragon Quest for PS4 happened, so..

A single player JRPG got announced for PS4 yeah.

Capcom has tried MonHun on mobile and it's flopped. That game is so complicated that I don't think they can replicate the handheld success.

NX/3DS Gen 5 game seems like the safe bet IMO. Lets them capitalize on NX launch craze, keeps the Nintendo relationship well and alive and capitalizes on the 3DS install base. I don't see the benefit a PS4 edition has.

Capcom didn't even try with their previous mobile MH. If the mobile can handle a game like DQVIII and FFXI, I don't see how it can't run a MH game.

3DS version is a lock imo but I still have a hard time seeing how NX version would work. How would Capcom pitch the MH NX to investors? One hand we have a nextgen console with 0 installed base, on the other hand we have a console that would have +40m installed bases by then. Unless there is a serious money-hat, I don't think investors will be happy if Capcom choose the NX instead of PS4.

Ridley327

Capcom didn't even try with their previous mobile MH. If the mobile can handle a game like DQVIII and FFXI, I don't see how it can't run a MH game.

3DS version is a lock imo but I still have a hard time seeing how NX version would work. How would Capcom pitch the MH NX to investors? One hand we have a nextgen console with 0 installed base, on the other hand we have a console that would have +40m installed bases by then. Unless there is a serious money-hat, I don't think investors will be happy if Capcom choose the NX instead of PS4.

Are we assuming that a new MH would launch right away on NX? I really can't see that being the case, especially with how busy the team is these days with Stories and I think we'd be lucky to see MH5 by late 2017. The most anyone could expect at the launch would be a port of some kind, which I would anticipate as being one of Nintendo's big gets, so to speak.

yami4ct

They pitch it as NX being the next gen handheld and handhelds are where MonHun thrives. Getting a foothold there now in addition makes way more sense than chasing that console bug.

Playing a complicated action game on a mobile is a far different thing than an RPG like FF and DQ. It's not a fair comparison at all. Phones can run a MonHun, but good luck controlling one without an attachment and those have all been absolute failures.

KingBroly

Banned

that's why they have the 3DS version. You promote cross-platform play between 3DS and NX, and then eventually the NX handheld comes out, and can be played there. It's not hard.

And Monster Hunter's history on consoles isn't exactly great, sales wise.

Capcom delayed MHXR by like a year and the resulting game was much better for it, and still regularly charts on the app store, how is that not trying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom