• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom's DEEP DOWN was the most impressive thing shown @ PS4 event

Mit-

It is a game in a genre that hasn't been run down to the ground yet.

It's getting there.

Seriously, does Capcom Japan trust their major development studios with anything but co-op monster killing games these days? The only reason this isn't branded Dragon's Dogma is likely because they don't want to keep making games in that very unique universe/plotline.

I was hoping to see something new but it seems I should forever expect Monster Hunter archetypes from Capcom Japan from now on.

Nothing about that trailer was interesting. It was a bunch of prerendered CG with a shitty HUD laid over it. I'll believe this was in-engine until proven so.
Also there was nothing there I'd classify as gameplay.

TheExodu5

Banned
Nothing about that trailer was interesting. It was a bunch of prerendered CG with a shitty HUD laid over it. I'll believe this was in-engine until proven so.
Also there was nothing there I'd classify as gameplay.

It was certainly not CG. In-engine it was. The only question is whether or not this is achievable in real time with the PS4.

Loonz

WTF guys suddenly everyone forgot who's Capcom ? It's not like they have been the animation kings for the last 15 years...

Exactly, specially beasts' animation coming from them is top notch, if not directly THE BEST in the industry.

I can't see why it's so hard to believe that what Capcom showed with DEEP DOWN was mostly real time. Yes, it seemed scripted and used non-playable camera angles but I think the PS4 should be able to develop that kind of graphical fidelity easily, with proper budget I mean. If not, why release a new console then?.

It was a bone to us Dark Souls fans, and as I'm a sucker of that franchise I was delighted by that demo. Sadly, it was the only thing that made yesterday's PS4 reveal exciting, as I didn't really cared for the rest. But it was sweet.

hwy_61

Banned
I was just happy to see Ono was alive and well. It always puts a smile on my face when that happy dude comes out on stage.

Did we even see a game or was it all cut scenes?

I love Monster Hunter.
I enjoyed Dragon's Dogma.

I'm sure Capcom can put something together that's special but all I saw were some cutscenes. Nothing impressive.

It looked great, but it's Capcom so I'm not trying to get too excited over it after the consecutive disappointments I've had with Capcom recently. Also, it screamed Demons/Dark Souls ripoff to me with the tagline at the end and the overall aesthetic.

ZaCH3000

It's great watching the amount of crow eating right now. That video wasn't CG as much as y'all want to justify your PC, that tech demo was an in-engine representation of whats possible. Deep Down not only looks better that Crysis by a large margin, but it looks better than what we saw from Killzone SF as well. It's insane what Capcom created.

RMI

Banned
Deep down looked like a pretty good Dark Souls knockoff.

I guess some people like diet coke.

Most impressive thing was whatever was going on with the 3D drawing/sculpting during media molecule's bizarre presentation.

After the Far Cry 3 and Aliens debacle it's pretty difficult to trust anything shown at these events. Why bother hyping yourself up based on a glorified cut-scene? Remember the Halo 2 smoke and mirrors?

TheExodu5

Banned
It's great watching the amount of crow eating right now. That video wasn't CG as much as y'all want to justify your PC, that tech demo was an in-engine representation of whats possible. Deep Down not only looks better that Crysis by a large margin, but it looks better than what we saw from Killzone SF as well. It's insane what Capcom created.

Keep in mind this could very well just be a tech demo, and may not even be running on PS4 level hardware. Samaritan was in-engine as well.

This may not be indicative of the overall quality of the end product.

Raven77

The game was running on their next gen engine - Panta Rhei

The demo they showed was in-engine (aka NOT CG)

The engine is being used to develop upcoming next gen Capcom games.

Did some of you even watch this presentation? The amount of incorrect information being spread around GAF is incredible.

Did some of you even watch this presentation? The amount of incorrect information being spread around GAF is incredible.

I think they mentioned it was running on PS4 as well, as far as I recall

dankir

Single most impressive title they showed last night.

PLEASE LOOK LIKE THAT!!! Jaw completely dropped when they showed it.

Freakin' incredible.

MDSLKTR

It didn't do much for me because the little hud there to make it look ingame screamed bullshit. I can't blindly trust capcom, sorry.

squidyj

I appreciate the Witcher franchise, but their art is kinda bad in my opinion :b

Certainly not as focused and inspired as the Souls franchise or even DD.

Honestly I think the souls games look like dogshit which is disappointing when you consider that they also run like dogshit.

I don't mean they're bad games though, just terribly unappealing visually.

That demonstration did look pretty great, but I've got some reservations about how much like that it'll actually look/feel like. The graphics are probably achievable, I don't know, but the animations and how everything moves and interacts in such detail and fluidity seems targety.

Yep. Far and away the most impressive thing on display.

Its a shame Dark Souls 2 is current gen. Cause I would kill to have a DaS game looking like that.

Looks interesting and very beautiful, something like continuation of the Dragon's Dogma ideas.

P.S. Horror focused Resident Evil 7 starring Claire Redfield (with Alyson Court's voiceover) and featuring Panta Rhei. Make it happen, Capcom, it'll be your redemption.

Yep. Far and away the most impressive thing on display.

Its a shame Dark Souls 2 is current gen. Cause I would kill to have a DaS game looking like that.

Most likely isn't.

For issue 249, which contains a ten-page feature (buy it online), the Edge team were treated to a ten minute demo of the sequel and described it as an "athletic leap forward in terms of graphical fidelity".

"There was an endearing shonkiness to the visual presentation of Demon's Souls and Dark Souls," reads the feature. "You never sensed photorealism was a virtue the team held in particularly high regard."

"Dark Souls 2, by contrast, looks effortlessly ready for the next generation of consoles, on a par with the fidelity of, say, Watch Dogs and Star Wars 1313."

It goes on to say its visuals come "tantalisingly close" to hyper-realism.

Portugeezer

ibp2LYnmQJjEkC.gif

Zaeed???

Forsete

Yes it looked very nice.
They also showned another tech demo which isnt bad looking either, Unreal 4. Which was running in real time on PS4.

IMO they look about equal, at least in the effects shown (U4 might have been pushing more stuff though).

Portugeezer

Wasn't this the game they basically admitted was a 'target'. Obviously not real.

I don't remember any game saying that.

For Square Enix tech demo they said it was a target for how their games will look, but before that they said the tech demo was running real time on the PS4.

I think they just were saying that tech demo =/= gameplay so they are targeting what they achieved in the tech demo.

genjiZERO

I thought it looked good/interesting too, but I'll be sceptical until I actually see some gameplay. It really just looked like a target render and prescript. Still impressive though. I hope it comes out well.

Oh that's right. So if they said it...then that's precisely what it will be when/if it launches.

I certainly hope it looks like that but I didn't see anything remotely "gamey".

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Like I said from the beginning... I have no idea what the hell this is. It could be totally fake, mostly fake, whatever.

That said... I think it could also be more indicative of gameplay than people are giving credit. Because watching the footage, I see gameplay elements of other Capcom games all over it.

There is a moment that looks the most like gameplay, and that's when the guy is running forward, but then it quickly goes into a falling animation that looks questionable (but that type of annoying animation thing happens in a lot of their games like Lost Planet, etc).

The actual "combat" they show... idk... but this to me feels like RE4 philosophy applied to melee weapons and realistic weight. The way the player gets into a heavy OTSV and then unleashes a strong attack. If that actually *was* indicative of the real gameplay it kinda makes sense... that seems like how Capcom would do Dark Souls. It would be timing and stamina based.

After the amazing Dragon's Dogma, and Monster Hunter... nothing about the movement of the creature seems outside the realm of possibility for Capcom. There is some pretty amazing collision, but they are already doing some of that current gen. Just doesn't seem impossible.

Maybe it's total bullshit... but either way it whets my appetite. Cause I can honestly see how some of that might translate into gameplay in the near future.

Top Bottom