• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom's DEEP DOWN was the most impressive thing shown @ PS4 event

Found it!

deepdown-2-16-7fps-29dxpdk.gif

Absolutely amazing looking fire.

Directly from fairy tail. This is amazing.

JoeFenix

Hopefully not.

Let's hope the solid generational gulf between something like Deep Down and something like Knack being shown at the same hardware event was due to scope, budget and one being a tech demo vs the other being a game in its alpha stages.

And not due to CG "target renders" vs an actual game.

That said, Killzone 2 CG target render looking absolutely unbelievable in 2005 had turned into an "it looks very good" in 2009. So Deep Down looking incredible in 2013 might turn into a more measured response when games on that engine actually release in 2016/17. Tech moves fast.

Knack looks very impressive considering what it's doing, lighting is fantastic and the main character is composed of thousands of objects. Cartoonish art style does not mean something isn't technically solid.

Look at the Knack trailer again, the scale and scope are awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1skIkmPD5d0

Honestly all the games at the conference looked really good visually, so so far beyond what a PS3 can do.

It looks amazing, and even if it's not indicative of a final product, Capcom's tech has not really slouched this generation, so I'm not too worried about this game (and games that use the engine, e.g., Dragon's Dogma 2) looking bad by any means.

Honestly, I'm much more concerned about Capcom's pricing strategies than about this game's mind-melting graphics. Someone's got to pay for all of this excellent R&D.

Played the hell out of Dragon's Dogma, and this looks like the real deal. Beaning that dragon in the face is totally in line with DD's gameplay and style and NextGen is just making it more-so.
"Shitty HUD"? Placeholder. It can be made to look like anything from any genre to any style. Placeholders don't need to "fit" yet.

Many are unimpressed and believe they can do better, and that's cool. Many are unconvinced that it can be that good, and that's cool too. We all agree that there will be changes from this to the final product. But even a Dragon's Dogma 2 that will end up looking half as good as this is still twenty times better than the first Dragon's Dogma.

Dragon's Dogma fans have a whole lot of AWESOME coming soon.

I honestly don't believe it.

Looks like a cinematic + wishful thinking + UI trolling.

If the game comes out like that I'll happily dine on crow before playing it, but right now, nope, I just don't believe it.

Violater

Hopefully not.

Let's hope the solid generational gulf between something like Deep Down and something like Knack being shown at the same hardware event was due to scope, budget and one being a tech demo vs the other being a game in its alpha stages.

And not due to CG "target renders" vs an actual game.

That said, Killzone 2 CG target render looking absolutely unbelievable in 2005 had turned into an "it looks very good" in 2009. So Deep Down looking incredible in 2013 might turn into a more measured response when games on that engine actually release in 2016/17. Tech moves fast.

If it't not CG it certainly wasn't running on a PS4, more likely pre rendered in engine on a PC. But still I doubt it.

Played the hell out of Dragon's Dogma, and this looks like the real deal. Beaning that dragon in the face is totally in line with DD's gameplay and style and NextGen is just making it more-so.
"Shitty HUD"? Placeholder. It can be made to look like anything from any genre to any style. Placeholders don't need to "fit" yet.

Many are unimpressed and believe they can do better, and that's cool. Many are unconvinced that it can be that good, and that's cool too. We all agree that there will be changes from this to the final product. But even a Dragon's Dogma 2 that will end up looking half as good as this is still twenty times better than the first Dragon's Dogma.

Dragon's Dogma fans have a whole lot of AWESOME coming soon.

Reddy.png

ArjanN

I figured this would be multiplatform but everywhere says "specifically for ps4." Does that mean exclusive?

It's Capcom, so no.

Also, I think developers still have to sort of pretend they don't know the 720 exist until it's officially announced.

Amir0x

Banned
what you guys don't realize is this is totally real time, but it's a "spiritual successor" to Azura's Wrath and so it's really just 6 hours of horrifically written janky barely-a-game garbage.*

this is obviously tongue-in-cheek

Looks insanely impressive. Honestly, it's not out of the ballpark of what I think a dedicated, closed platform console with amazing specs can attain with a dev with a big enough budget.

Sanctuary

what you guys don't realize is this is totally real time, but it's a "spiritual successor" to Azura's Wrath and so it's really just 6 hours of horrifically written janky barely-a-game garbage.*

this is obviously tongue-in-cheek

Wait, what? I thought Azura's Wrath was a masterwork in game design? Or at least there are some on GAF who'd try to make you believe that anyway. Pressing A for Awesome is all you need isn't it?
Capcom never actually made that game anyway, it was outsourced.

Amir0x

Banned
Wait, what? I thought Azura's Wrath was a masterwork in game design? Or at least there are some on GAF who'd try to make you believe that anyway. Pressing A for Awesome is all you need isn't it?
Capcom never actually made that game anyway, it was outsourced.

I don't know my friend's weird mormon buddy let me borrow it and all I could think of the entire time I played it was "this is the worst gaming experiment I've ever had the displeasure of 'playing', if you could call it that."

It actually does have moments of gameplay but those are pretty terribad too!

Skyzard

Banned

That's not what I meant :p

Maybe. I will try to believe...but deep down no way :p That part where he runs up and attacks the dragon is too much. And the lighting in the cave...way too optimised for that I bet.

The fire alone looked movie quality. Come on guys.

RoKKeR

No it wasn't, because it was a bunch of bullshit. Sure, maybe it was "real time", but if you think that's actual gameplay then you're fooling yourself. The "HUD" was an absolute joke.

Watching the 1080p (or 720p upscaled) youtube video.. I believe this is easily doable on PS4.

Totally.
Why make a Next Gen game for a Next Gen system when you won't do Next Gen things with it?

Man, I was feeling old for awhile with all these new fangdangled techy things coming out. Good to feel young again.

No it wasn't, because it was a bunch of bullshit. Sure, maybe it was "real time", but if you think that's actual gameplay then you're fooling yourself. The "HUD" was an absolute joke.

The HUD part really had me laughing. I cant believe they tried to scam us with that. lol

It's definitely in-engine graphics and probably rendered on PS4. It's not CGI that's for sure.

I doubt the final game will look completely like that though as it looks like they put a ton of effort into that video alone and doing that for a whole game just wouldn't be practical. Plus the camera angles are too cinematic and you'd never see angles like that for gameplay.

I'm sure it'll be a beast though. The fire alone is incredible.

Skyzard

Banned
It's definitely in-engine graphics and probably rendered on PS4. It's not CGI that's for sure.

I doubt the final game will look completely like that though as it looks like they put a ton of effort into that video alone and doing that for a whole game just wouldn't be practical. Plus the camera angles are too cinematic and you'd never see angles like that for gameplay.

It's too good.

The HUD part really had me laughing. I cant believe they tried to scam us with that. lol

If Dragon's Dogma today had the Deep Down's graphics of tomorrow, yeah, that's gameplay.

Camera control is Player controlled with the right stick. The player can make the camera as cinematic as they want.

(EDIT: Save those "new camera angle cuts" of course. Yeah, I can't call for that at all.)

dwu8991

Banned
Can't believe people are falling for this all over again..... Photoshopped HUD along with a scripted unplayable sequence. It's what there aiming for , just like the square Enix one.

Yeah, no way you can build a 20 hour adventure on those real time visuals

Animal

Banned

Man those were the golden days of gaf. Thanks for bringing back the memories.

On topic, yes this was the most impressive demonstration for me. By far.

It doesn't just demonstrate an increase in processing power but rather a new way of doing highly complete graphics. Nothing in the video is off the shelf engine features.

PSYGN

This might be the Killzone preview of the next gen. In time we might get close or even surpass, but I doubt it'd look that great (beyond just the graphics) for a long while. Everything is too perfect, from the stalagmite crashing down realistically as the dragon's tail whips it, to the realistic looking fire and the way it folds around the shield, and the seamless animation and weight in every movement that a lot of games can't get right still to this day. It's the only game I felt looked truly next-gen beyond the graphics. This one just looked too good to be real right now.

FourMyle

Did his shield actually melt? Although I thought it looked amazing, another part of me was looking at how short the shield was and thinking "Bro, what about your legs?"

Nah. It cuts to him already shielding from the fire and it was already melted. Shield-melting is PS5 tech.

Did his shield actually melt? Although I thought it looked amazing, another part of me was looking at how short the shield was and thinking "Bro, what about your legs?"

Hehe yeah, understood. The more realistic games become the more realities need to be addressed. It may be where that Uncanny Valley gets in the way of gameplay (or make up for it with new mechanics). There was a time when those details were a little more forgivable...
RAAR.png

In the context that this video was presented it would not make any sense for it to be CGI.

"We're making a badass new Engine. It can do this and that. Here's a CGI trailer to prove my point".

In the context that this video was presented it would not make any sense for it to be CGI.

"We're making a badass new Engine. It can do this and that. Here's a CGI trailer to prove my point".

I think people have already accepted this was real-time and not CGI. The problem is that maybe it was only a tech-demo with ultra-high production values and deliverables that will have to be scaled down for the "real game" when it gets released.

The engine can do that fire and it's all real-time. But will it be intact in the final game? That's what is unknown at the time.

Zaventem

If they didn't put that obvious bullshit hud you'll still see people doubting them but not out right disregarding their vision.I dunno man after looking at KZ:DF it may be possible in the future but wouldn't expect capcom to deliver those visuals on the first game.

Zaptruder

Banned
I think people have already accepted this was real-time and not CGI. The problem is that maybe it was only a tech-demo with ultra-high production values and deliverables that will have to be scaled down for the "real game" when it gets released.

The engine can do that fire and it's all real-time. But will it be intact in the final game? That's what is unknown at the time.

I feel as though it could be, if the scope of the game is limited to dungeon crawling.

Who knows? There's compelling old school gameplay to be had with a pure dungeon crawl. It'd be amazing to see a next-gen game taking the old school gold box style RPG environments and amping them up with next-gen tech.

Anteater

I could see the sprinting part being how the actual game will look like, with "set pieces" in dungeons, they did this in Dragon's Dogma when you fight the Dragon.

If this game is Dragon's Dogma but with improved animations/graphics/collisions (DD had a shitload of clippings due to consoles limitation, and it still ran like poop), it would look pretty amazing.

They also have the best enemy and combat animations in any games, the problem is that they often lacked variety.

Imagine this with the new engine:

berserkawprd.gif

For comparison:

ibjxCz37mFXzrX.gif

LastNac

ibjxCz37mFXzrX.gif

OR DIE A COWARD

Was Killzone 4 looking good? Yeah it was. But I played that game already, dozens of times. Deep Down is something that calls me. It is mysterious, dark and scary. It is a game in a genre that hasn't been run down to the ground yet.

Just throwing something outthere, but, who is to say that the portion of the Gif where the blade makes contact couldn't be actually realtime "gameplay"(tech aside). Is it so hard to believe that next gen might bring innovative new combat camera. Hell, great visuals are one thing but I am equally invested into how they are presented.

Top Bottom