• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom's difficult position

Aters

They just need to get to a similar position as Sega and Bamco meaning solid products developed on reasonable budgets with reasonable expectations. Look at Yakuza and Tales. Both series only sell like 500k to a million but both companies continue to crank them out and are happy with results.

Resident Evil 7 was a step in the right direction in that it was a great game with solid sales that was clearly cheaper to make than 5 or 6 or something like Dragon's Dogma.

Honestly I think they've actually improved lately. Following Street Fighter V they've released a fantastic new RE game, the Disney Collection, announced the most compelling looking new Monster Hunter in years and based on footage and impressions from EVO, MvCI is looking a lot better (disappointing roster aside).

lol no. Sega has Sega EU to crack out big hit strategy games. Namco has a truck load of license games. Both of them have successful mobile titles. Also both of them expand greatly out of the gaming industry. Capcom is not gonna be like Sega or Namco if mid budget games are all they make. They gonna be like Atlus and get acquired.

Sacul64GC

Banned
also lets chill on the not supporting the Switch stuff....the damn thing JUST came out a few months back. These things take time and after the Wii U's performance, it makes sense that people were in wait and see mode.

sorry for the off topicness of this but I have seen it in a lot of threads lately....people are preemptively shitting on companies for that.

Well Capcom is going to get shit on for not Localizing a MH that people want and for not even porting simple 8 bit collections.

Dueck

Banned
Capcom's biggest problem is looking for profits where they haven't been earned. Making a good game doesn't guarantee success, and losses are possible, but their "buy now, get a finished game later - possibly requiring the purchase of DLC" is not working for them. Nonetheless, they continue to tread water by worrying about a disappointing launch and then making a bunch of financial safety nets that alienate consumers, resulting in another disappointing launch... It's almost a self-fulfilling prophecy at this point.

The odd game they don't do this with, like Monster Hunter, ends up working out. You'd think somebody at Capcom would take a step back and notice, or at least see that this self-sabotage isn't typical of all publishers. The industry is competitive, and names aren't enough to carry a product across the finish line on their own anymore, nor have they been for this entire generation.

I think if MvC:I fails and judging from the impression online that it may very well then this will be the end of Capcom fighting game division. And we are back to the dark ages of Capcom fighting games. As Evo will become a Melee tournament and will fade into obscurity as before.
Gimme a break..
Kof ..
Arcsys...

No need to fear Nintendo, just because they are currently on an upswing they are STILL Nintendo and do what they do. They would only want Megaman anyway the other stuff Capcom make don't fit with Nintendo.

I think both Sony and Nintendo would possibly want Monster Hunter more than any other IP. Nintendo would probably be interested in locking it down with all of the Japanese sales.

Sadist

The problem of Capcom is something that has been in the making for years;

- Talent leaving in droves; Mikami, Kamiya and keypeople who were involved in games like Resident Evil and others.

- Constantly having unrealistic expectations of their software, to which they have to change their forcast every time

- And in more recent years, Phanta Rae never coming to fruitation

- Countless tries on entering the mobile market and never making a splash

They had some good moments like Street Fighter IV reenergizing the fighter market and MT Framework being a good engine for them, but as of right now they seem to small. I'm really curious about MH for PS4/Xbox One, because I'm not entirely sure its going to perform that greatly.

Capcom is far from a difficult position.

Their core IP's are still multi-million sellers with huge appeal. They need to work on making games with those IP's that resonate more with the fanbase and the quality they were known for.

Their IP's are so notable that first parties will easily fund them in exchange for exclusivity as well.

MrCarter

On the real,

The SFV defenders heavily defending the game give a bad look to actual players of SFV who have reasonable opinions. If someone likes the game, someone can like the game but don't ignore the problems let alone don't go taking shots at other games because you're bitter about the game not doing so well in the eyes of others. Dudes are literally mad that other fighters are getting a great reception because theirs still hasn't made their initial sales target. I've seen some people's positive opinions of SFV and I rock with them but at the same time you know how a few bad people give others a bad name. When you have dudes responding to others comments about the game and getting defensive it looks like some.

I've never heard such concern trolling bull in my life. You're one of the biggest haters who comes in dogpiling a game to make the competition look good by making up the most arbitrary shit possible. Then when you get called out on it you act the victim like a few others around here and scream WHY Capcom didn't do this or that when you're not entitled to shit. Tekken 7 didn't provide users with a LOT of things yet it gets a pass.

You were the one shitposting while people were trying to have a discussion so don't act the martyr now and the only bad look anyone is giving around here is yourself. Talking about "bitter" it seems how much of a popular IP and game (it's certainly not "dead") is really getting to you - otherwise you wouldn't be jumping in on these threads like a dog on heat all the time.

This right here is one of the lamest things that happens so often in so many recent SFV/MVC Infinite threads. The second someone says they don't like something about the game, people go "Oh but what about this thing in some totally different/older game?" It's complete whataboutism.

That's because of double standards. You really think the same the wouldn't happen if it was the other way round? Right.

Yep. I grew up with 2Turbo, A2G, A3, EX+A, I've been playing since the 2 series and that stopped with V. A lot of these extremists think that people haven't been with the series but the reality is most people vocal against V have been with a series for a long period. It's just lame to try to get onto them for their opinions when you've got your own.

SFV fans and SFV stans are different and at this point I've stopped responding to SFV stans. If you've got a SFV avy responding to a negative post towards the game, it's no different than Stan writing to Em looking like him.

Yep.

Nobody's believing you say that Em's the greatest rapper when you're looking like Stan. Shit's weak.

Now I've heard it all. "Extremists". Most people, like myself, who have been with the series for a long time (before SF4) actually like the game. It's not perfect however. The thing with you is you like to pick and choose which opinion suits your narrative and then put your fingers in your ears when someone gives you a positive or constructive about opinion about this game. I could say the same for Tekken, been playing since 3 and stopped at 5 because the series got stale really fast.

- Constantly having unrealistic expectations of their software, to which they have to change their forcast every time.
They expect their games to be a return on investment. Games cost money to make. A lot of money. And it isn't good enough for them to simply break even. Are they consistently missing their sales targets? Yes. But those sales targets are not "unrealistic". They are pragmatic.

They should swallow their pride and give dmc5 to platinum, i doubt they have any talent to make it inhouse.
Yes, because Capcom really need to tie themselves to the eternally leaking ship that is Platinum Games.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Yes.

It makes MHWorld's position all the more interesting.

Indeed
Considering how the previous installments did around 4 millions and they switched consoles to increase the sales, this means thy are aiming at 5 millions sold at least, plus higher profits from dlc
Looking at the Japanese landscape this probably means 3.5 millions sold sold I the west

We will see

Game looks great

Kyoufu

They should swallow their pride and give dmc5 to platinum, i doubt they have any talent to make it inhouse.

I doubt you know anything about Capcom employees to make that kind of statement. I mean, for one, there's Hideaki Itsuno who is more than capable of creating a great Devil May Cry game.

MH:W will do well enough, but not hit Crapcon's target

Never underestimate Asia, most non-Japanese MH fans stop playing MH after it becomes 3DS exclusive. Not because we don't like the 3DS but becuase they have shit support outside Japan.

A lot of non-JP MH fans are insanely hyped about MH:W.

You will see my friend, you will see.

cordy

Banned

The DMC series is their trump card when things get bad for them so we'll see what happens when they announce a new one. Now if MHW AND a new DMC fails? I think that's when they'll start selling off properties lol.

Also, I feel like a lot of people; especially this article, are quick to draw conclusions.
Sure, Resident Evil 7 or SFV underperformed compared to Capcom's expectations. But it doesn't mean they're not making money with these games. I'd be even more interested to see how SFV is doing for them with season passes and digital downloads.

As long as they keep doing good money, they're in a fine position. The real problem is how sustainable this situation is, with underperforming titles. Basically, I feel like Capcom is ramping up things, but doesn't get the right lecture of their fanbase.

They should ramp up more for ports, and ones that pleases the mass, for multiplatform.
As for new games, I understand that tech problems slowed them down. But even then, I feel like new productions failed not because of tech problems, but because of a misunderstanding of fans expectations.

Monocle

They should try rebooting Devil May Cry to appeal to the baka gaijin markets. Remove the depth, charm, polish, and style, and it'll sell 5 million units, easy!

cordy

Banned
what is with the term stan getting popular use lately, such a weird thing to hear

?

Stan's been a commonly used phase in hip-hop since Eminem's Stan dropped in 2000. Most people who have been with hip-hop for decades (like myself) have been using it since then.

?

Stan's been a commonly used phase in hip-hop since Eminem's Stan dropped. Most people who have been with hip-hop for decades (like myself) have been using it since then.
dunno if i'm just baader-meinhofing here because i've not heard it used at all until this year

kc44135

Maybe Capcom should release some RE games on Switch? That could help 'em out, and I could play RE4 on the can. It would be a win-win, just sayin'. ;)

cordy

Banned
dunno if i'm just baader-meinhofing here because i've not heard it used at all until this year

Yeah it's used in hip-hop all the time. Nas on Ether called Jay-Z a stan and even that helped the word grow given that's where the "ethered" phrase used online comes from. Most people just didn't know where the word came from. Idk if people saw a meme with it now and more people caught on but it's pretty common.

They should try rebooting Devil May Cry to appeal to the baka gaijin markets. Remove the depth, charm, polish, and style, and it'll sell 5 million units, easy!

Yeah, and give it a developer famous for great storytelling [citation needed]. That's what DMC fans want in their action game.

Yeah, and give it a developer famous for great storytelling [citation needed]. That's what DMC fans want in their action game.
What DMC fans want is neither here nor there. One of the worst things a developer can do is bend over to please vocal fans of a series. I say this as someone who doesn't like the modern Tomb Raider titles because of what they did to Lara. Devil May Reboot was very well received overall, and it's ironically one of the better selling games in the series at this point. It sold fantastically on Steam, especially.

Monocle

Also platforming. DMC fans loved the awful platforming in the the previous games, so it would be a super great idea to add a bunch more awful platforming with an awful grapple-whip mechanic for maximum skill-intensive stylish action.

kc44135

Never underestimate Asia, most non-Japanese MH fans stop playing MH after it becomes 3DS exclusive. Not because we don't like the 3DS but becuase they have shit support outside Japan.

A lot of non-JP MH fans are insanely hyped about MH:W.

You will see my friend, you will see.

I'll chime in here and say that I think you're right. I say this because, even as someone with very limited exposure to the series (watching some let's plays, and playing through that kinda bad MH:3 Ultimate demo on Wii U) I'm insanely hyped for MH:W. It looks like a major evolution for the franchise in terms of gameplay, and it also doesn't hurt that it looks drop dead gorgeous, rather than being stuck with PSP era visuals like the rest of the games, lol. I can't wait!

kc44135

Also platforming. DMC fans loved the awful platforming in the the previous games, so it would be a super great idea to add a bunch more awful platforming with an awful grapple-whip mechanic for maximum skill-intensive stylish action.

Yeah, absolutely. I'd be so down for Super DMC bros. Also, you know what else I think all DMC fans would love? A stamina bar! Think about it, take a game built around chaining as many moves and combos together as you can, and then severely limit that gameplay with stamina management. It would be just like Dark Souls, and the kids sure do love Dark Souls these days! :D

A stamina bar! Think about it, take a game built around chaining as many moves and combos together as you can, and then severely limit that gameplay with stamina management. It would be just like Dark Souls, and the kids sure do love Dark Souls these days! :D
Resident Evil 6 and Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen both revolved around stamina management. It's a pretty good mechanic for character action games because it prevents players from abusing certain techniques by spamming the same attack over and over and over in a short period of time.

CTLance

I'm really angsty about what MH World is going to do to the franchise (and by extension, Capcom).

It's just such a huge gamble. And with one of their major franchises and breadwinners to boot.

Changing to open world from connected contained areas necessitate complete change of approach to many issues
Vastly increased physics model and interactivity between Monsters as a source of bugs and exploits
Extended gameplay mechanics (Sneaking around, Lasso harpoon thing, etc) makes it harder to balance
Platform switch (especially due to Japanese core market preference for mobile gaming)
Returning to home consoles(/PC) changes audience and expected feature set considerably
Increased cost ("proper" HD, animation, physics, AI), possibility of wasted assets & investments if not successful
Audience could splinter over three platforms, one of which is open (mods/hacks/fan patches) meaning less cohesion

Any single one of those issues would be challenging by itself, but they are doing a Hail Mary and are tackling all of them in one go. That's incredibly dangerous. Or should I say heroic, to be diplomatic. If it works, it will easily let them coast along for a few more years. If I doesn't, then I am genuinely fearing for my MonHan. Capcom doesn't seem to be able to stomach many more punches, and even with MonHan being a core franchise, things could go from bad to awful rather quickly.

So yeah, I truly wish they'd stop fucking around. Them pulling these kinds of stunts when they're on shaky legs is not inspiring confidence. Don't you dare fuck up, Capcom. Imma shank your seedy ass in a back alley if you do.

Monocle

Resident Evil 6 and Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen both revolved around stamina management. It's a pretty good mechanic for character action games because it prevents players from abusing certain techniques by spamming the same attack over and over and over in a short period of time.
DMC has totally different gameplay loops than those games though. It would be absurd to put a hard limit on repetitive actions in a DMC title, where rapidly chaining attacks by canceling their recovery frames is central to advanced play. (Capcom was exactly right to add a soft limit instead, so that spamming the same attack doesn't build the style bar.)

Ninja Theory's DmC contains comparably ridiculous design choices, like color coding enemies so they can only be damaged by one weapon type, and increasing the floatiness of the player character so drastically that staying airborne is almost as easy as staying on the ground.

In the end they're is just reaping what they sow more than ten years ago.

If they want things to change for the better they should just shake up their devolpment plans and try to launch even just one brand new series for this generation of consoles.

Temascos

Neo Member
Capcom was my favourite publisher in the PS2 generation so it's sad to see them squander their potential, creativity and fun over the last two generations.

They'll need to do a couple of things:

* More RE7 style critical darlings, it may not be big sellers at first but confidence needs to be restored.

* DMC5. Let them learn from the flaws of DMC3 and DMC4, and create a great game that has a fanbase waiting. Heck, I don't have any current gen tech and I'd freaking buy it day 1.

* Look back over the smaller franchises and see about bringing them back, Dino Crisis is a big one.

* Sensible budgets and expectations.

oti

Banned
In the end they're is just reaping what they sow more than ten years ago.

If they want things to change for the better they should just shake up their devolpment plans and try to launch even just one brand new series for this generation of consoles.
Deep Down
lol

Ninja Theory's DmC contains comparably ridiculous design choices, like color coding enemies so they can only be damaged by one weapon type.
Different genre, but Shadow Warrior 2 did something similar, where a lot of enemies had elemental resistance, meaning you had to keep switching between weapons with the relevant elemental gems you had inserted in order to do any meaningful damage. It was a controversial choice, obviously.

marmoka

Banned
MHW better do well. I wouldn't be surprised if they are afraid of low sales because they left the handheld market.

Phoenix Wright is still doing well ins't it?

Garlador

Outside of a Nintendo, Capcom probably has the best collection of IPs in the industry.

So despite the fact they have over three decades of proven hits with proven game design, they just can't help themselves and make decisions time and again that alienate their fans and hamper the enjoyment of the games with unnecessary corporate meddling.

They can suck the fun out of a guy with a bionic arm, salt the earth for one of their most beloved mascots while Nintendo treated him better, needlessly redesign and reboot a franchise that was never in any danger of growing stale, rush out their preeminent fighting game series without basic industry standard modes, and neutered countless unique genre games by making them as bland as possible with QTEs and expensive setpieces that bore rather than thrill, all while spending a whole generation pushing the limits of acceptable DLC practices by charging for basic things like pallet swap colors, friendly fire, cheat codes, the final 1/3rd roster of a game already on the disc, simple difficulty modes, and even game endings.

Capcom can't help themselves. They break things that were never broken time after time and then wonder why they keep failing to meet sales targets.

Top Bottom