• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain America: Civil War SPOILER Thread - #TeamThanos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hahaha not at all. "We come in all shapes and sizes," she says in reference to aunts.

No gray hair, she looks like Marisa Tomei, gorgeous.

Stark even talks about how unusually attractive Peter's aunt is

Tomei da GOAT

Sweet, even beyond my, er, purile reasons for hoping they wouldn't do that. I've never understood why Aunt May is supposed to be so fucking Elderly. She's Aunt May, not Great Aunt May.

I was wondering why it pissed off Peter so much then I realized Uncle Ben only died like 5-6 months ago

I really liked that Peter didn't want to talk about Uncle Ben/he was never mentioned. There's no way he would just open up about it to a stranger, even if that stranger is Tony Stark

I did lol at Tomei's somehow being both oblivious and aware of everything

Fandangox

So what happens after Cap beats Tony? I know its a text description, but I find it funny that Tony just goes "whoops, I fucked up that one, I guess I better go help Steve" then a reverse-martha happens and they fight each other. Do they escape? What about the rest of the now-fugitives?

So how accurate is this as a ranking of the current mcu power levels

Hulk
Thor
Vision
Scarlet witch
Spidey
Cap/Panther/Bucky
Iron Man
War machine
Ant man ( not really sure how to rank him due to his giant man ability which sounds like isn't used for long)
Falcon/Hawkeye/widow

Not sure where to put the guardians. I miss anyone?

So what happens after Cap beats Tony? I know its a text description, but I find it funny that Tony just goes "whoops, I fucked up that one, I guess I better go help Steve" then a reverse-martha happens and they fight each other. Do they escape? What about the rest of the now-fugitives?

Cap and Bucky escape to Wakanda.

Tony goes back to the Avengers compound.

The fugitives get sprung by Cap from the Raft.

So how accurate is this as a ranking of the current mcu power levels

Hulk
Thor
Vision
Scarlet witch
Spidey
Cap/Panther/Bucky
Iron Man
War machine
Ant man ( not really sure how to rank him due to his giant man ability which sounds like isn't used for long)
Falcon/Hawkeye/widow

Not sure where to put the guardians. I miss anyone?
I'd put Ant Man higher. Not only can he play both the stealth and strength of the coin, he can disable machines and electronics from within and banish people to the quantum realm. If he was a villain or didn't care about killing, he'd be a force to be reckoned with

Magwik

Banned
I wish there was an after credits sequence of just Thor coming back to earth and wondering what the fuck happened.
Sprung? Not quite sure what that means, raft? Are you referencing secret wars? lol
The Raft is the water prison base thing in the trailer. Cap breaks them out of prison.

Fandangox

Ross does, Tony says he didn't know they were gonna get locked up like that

I actually like Tony a lot, all his fuckups are part of his character, but man I really hope that is true and he didn't really know, the point is that he is a well-meaning misguided asshole, sending his former comrades to prison would be too much lol. I guess that's why Natasha is angry at him at the end?

Spidey should be in that Cap/Panther/Bucky bracket..
Hmm is that cause spidey is a noob and has less combat experience?
I'd put Ant Man higher. Not only can he play both the stealth and strength of the coin, he can disable machines and electronics from within and banish people to the quantum realm. If he was a villain or didn't care about killing, he'd be a force to be reckoned with
Yea I was wrestling with what to do with him. You bring up good points.

shingi70

Banned
I'm so glad that Marvel didn't have Ross be secretly Hydra or being a bad guy. Ross is a guy that comes off as an asshole, but the events of the film do nothing but solidify his resolve.

The Accords still being in effect at the end of the movie is cool and could lead to some interesting developments in the TV side if they're given the opportunity.

I'm surprised Zemo didn't become a baron by the end of the film. With the rumors that he was going to be the MCU's Doctor Doom I was expecting him to apart of Sklovia's ruling family or something to that effect.

Fandangox

I'm so glad that Marvel didn't have Ross be secretly Hydra or being a bad guy. Ross is a guy that comes off as an asshole, but the events of the film do nothing but solidify his resolve.

The Accords still being in effect at the end of the movie is cool and could lead to some interesting developments in the TV side if they're given the opportunity.

Don't the accords only affect the avengers? Still not quite sure what the actual thing entails.

Neoxon

sImMFLs.jpg

Remember this speech? Why am I posting this here? No reason at all...
Beat me to it.

icespide

Banned
to be honest the revelation that Zemo was just another person whose family was killed in an Avengers thing was kind of lame to me

shingi70

Banned
Don't the accords only affect the avengers? Still not quite sure what the actual thing entails.

It seems to effect all enhanced people with the Avengers being first to deal with. Panther isn't apart of the Avenger's organization but T'challa coming out ends in his arrest and presumably signing the Accords himself.

this_guy

As some other people have said, I fear the transition from friends to wanting to kill each other over some goverment legislation will be really rushed, how was it handled?

Didn't feel rushed, and even when they were fighting it was not to kill each other. Other than Panther wanting to kill Bucky.

At the airport fight, nobody is shooting to kill, but it very clearly gets out of hand because these are enhanced people trying to win a fight

It would've been fine if Vision knew how to fucking aim and Falcon didn't know how to dodge

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
After this and Age of Ultron, I have to admit...Hawkeye is cool. He took on Black Widow, Black Panther, and even The Vision. Balls of steel on that guy.

At the airport fight, nobody is shooting to kill, but it very clearly gets out of hand because these are enhanced people trying to win a fight

It would've been fine if Vision knew how to fucking aim and Falcon didn't know how to dodge
Vision would just phase into peoples' bodies and rip out their spinal columns if he was fighting to kill. Everyone should be really happy Ultron didn't get that body.

Neoxon

After spending the following hours just letting Civil War soak in my head, I'm left in disbelief with a strange feeling of emptiness. And no, it's not because Civil War was bad. Quite the opposite, I'm left with this feeling of emptiness because I'm not sure how Marvel can top themselves after this. The Russos (or more specially, Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely, the Captain America trilogy writers) pretty much covered every base masterfully. In terms of what I mean.
  • The New Avengers all have a role to play in this film. None of them are quick cameos put in just for set pieces. This more than applies to Black Panther &, to an extent, Spider-Man.
  • Speaking of Spider-Man
    (surprisingly-hot Aunt May aside, which Tony even points out)
    , he's pretty much the Spidey we know & love. The way he acts, fights, & quips is like something out of Spectacular Spider-Man. And seeing him geek out about the Avengers as he's kicking their asses is a sight to behold.
    There was one particular song (this one, Left Hand Free by alt-J) that Peter was listening to that I really want to get, but I don't know the name of the song until today thanks to a fellow GAFer. It'd be interesting if they go the Star-Lord approach (to one extent) with Peter's music in his solo films.
    I should also note that the rumor about Spider-Man's prototype suit having a hoodie & goggles was real. I couldn't get a good look at the goggles themselves, but they looked pretty similar to the camera lens-esque goggles that the Russos apparently put up on Twitter. I'll have to watch it again to be sure.
    He's about as much in the film as Wonder Woman was in Batman v Superman. Long enough to have a lasting impact on the film (about 30 minutes), but not long enough to be as integral as, say, Black Panther. One reviewer put it best, in that Spider-Man was the best & most expendable part of the film.
  • Black Panther.....holy mother of god. He's straight-up comic-accurate. He carries himself like royalty, he gives fucks to nobody, cuts straight to the point with no bullshit attached, & he's a straight-up badass.
    And don't worry, Wakanda was done justice, as well.
    Not much more needs to be said about Black Panther. Get hype for his solo film (which, thanks to Ryan Coogler being attached, who apparently helped with some of T'Challa's dialogue in Civil War, has me even more hyped
  • Baron Zemo was MUCH better than I expected him to be, & played a bigger role in the film's plot than I anticipated. While granted, he wasn't exactly the comic book version in terms of design (far from it), one critic was pretty close to the mark when he said that MCU Zemo was similar to Ed Brubaker's Zemo.
    And worry not, Baron Zemo is not a one-&-done villain. Black Panther made sure of that.
  • Without delving into too much, the airport scene certainly lives up to the hype. The Russo Secret Sauce is real. I don't even think I should put stuff in spoiler tags for this, you just have to see it for yourself.
  • The final act was easily the best of the MCU up to this point, & it's not just because of the fact that it isn't a huge explosion-based finale. Let me just give a tiny little hint (which I'll put in spoiler tags just in case, even though I'm not outright revealing anything),
    something that was revealed in Winter Soldier comes back to bite Cap in the ass.
  • There quite a lot of humor in this film, & not just from Spider-Man. But the great thing is that none of them take away from the tone of the film & in some ways helps build the characters more.
  • This movie does a MUCH better job justifying Tony's point of view concerning the Registration Act/Sokovia Accords than in the comics (which ended up villainizing Tony). You can understand where Tony's coming from &, in a way, I did have second thoughts about my stance with #TeamCap.
Long story short, Captain America: Civil War does a much better adaptation of the Civil War story arc than even the comics did. It was respectful to the source material while not being afraid to blaze its own trail (which benefitted the film in the long-run). It's quite literally the best film of the MCU, & I'm not sure how the Russos can top themselves with Infinity War.

5/5 Stars

And by the way, one iconic Captain America quote was said during the film,
though not by Cap himself.

• Baron Zemo was MUCH better than I expected him to be, & played a bigger role in the film's plot than I anticipated. While granted, he wasn't exactly the comic book version in terms of design (far from it), one critic was pretty close to the mark when he said that MCU Zemo was similar to Ed Brubaker's Zemo.
    And worry not, Baron Zemo is not a one-&-done villain. Black Panther made sure of that.
  • The final act was easily the best of the MCU up to this point, & it's not just because of the fact that it isn't a huge explosion-based finale. Let me just give a tiny little hint (which I'll put in spoiler tags just in case, even though I'm not outright revealing anything),
    something that was revealed in Winter Soldier comes back to bite Cap in the ass.

spill the beans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom