• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Carcassonne iPhone/iTouch

deim0s

@Chuck
IIRC, I'm already logged in to GC when I accessed the internet section and it's already showing my GCs friend list.

Oh I see! I had to click on the tiny GC logo to automatically log in. Duh, Chuck.

Thanks, I'm in. Now if only I could figure out how to add fellow GAFers without needing their email addresses...

Oh OK, cool. Thanks for the help, fellas. I'll start adding people from your OP, Astro.

By the way, I am CharlieConCarne.

Edit: Tutorial time for me.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
hey chuck and other new folks, important point!

carcassonne is asynchronous play, which means you don't have to play live at all. you can take your turn whenever. you'll get a notification when it's your turn in a game. and you can play many games at once. when in a game just hit gear then pause and you'll go to the menu of all your games (this doesn't literally "pause" the games, people can still take turns and you'll still get notified when it's yours)

so chuck i think you thought you quit out our game but you didn't, you can just take your turn whenever. if you REALLY want to leave a game just go to the menu of games, edit, then delete.

Flunkie

Banned
Oh, hey, whoever has that list of the people who have Rivers and Inns & Cathedrals, please add me to the list for both.

I just caved back in and put the game back on my phone. I had only kept it on my iPad to play nightly after I got home because it was getting too annoying always popping up and too addicting playing.. wherever I wanted.. but I caved again.

So basically - no more waiting forever on me to make a move because I forget to check my iPad.

Vard

I also picked up both expansions. So how does the River expansion work exactly? From what I've read, I thought the River tiles were supposed to be placed first...? I'm not seeing that in the first River game I'm playing.

I also picked up both expansions. So how does the River expansion work exactly? From what I've read, I thought the River tiles were supposed to be placed first...? I'm not seeing that in the first River game I'm playing.

Make sure you set that as a game option when you're starting the game. Does it have the little wave icon?

Vard

Make sure you set that as a game option when you're starting the game. Does it have the little wave icon?

Ah thanks, the game I'm looking at has just the inns and cathedrals expansion.

And good game yesterday, Coffee Janitor. Turned out to be a pretty close game!

I sent you a friend request, Mike Works.

By the way, good game schnell, AstroLad, deimos, and Wylie.

Edit: I won my first game today! A quick game with all expansions, too! Close game, overtook him in the end.

im5Gh.jpg

If anyone's up for a game feel free to send me an invite / include me in a party game.

Just got a 4 player game going with some good friends of mine. Dang, Astro...now I know why you were pumping this game so much before. Great fun.

I'm totally new to this game, so a quick question:

I swear I remember seeing in a tutorial that your (farmer) meeple can get points for being within a completed road. Is this true, or am I just making things up? This game is pretty awesome so far.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Just got a 4 player game going with some good friends of mine. Dang, Astro...now I know why you were pumping this game so much before. Great fun.
Yup, and it holds up over time I can tell you. Which is why so many of us are still playing. :D

Give it 20 games or so, then hop on the expansions (well especially Inns & Cathedrals). They will BLOW YOUR MIND.

I'm totally new to this game, so a quick question:

I swear I remember seeing in a tutorial that your (farmer) meeple can get points for being within a completed road. Is this true, or am I just making things up? This game is pretty awesome so far.
Scoring works like so
in-game (get your meeple back):
1 point for each tile that's part of a completed road.
9 points for a completed cloister
2 points for each regular city tile that's part of a completed city and 4 points for each flag city tile

end-game:
1 point for each tile that's part of an unfinished road.
1 point for each tile adjacent to an unfinished cloister (& 1 point for the cloister itself)
1 point for regular city tiles and 2 points for flag city tiles
3 points for each completed city touching your farmer's field (farmer is dead instantly, unlike the other meeples who just get stuck or unfinished)

Alright, I have a question regarding end of game farmer scoring then. I'll use this random picture as an example:

090709_carcassonne.jpg

See that Red Meeple at the very bottom of the picture on the road? Pretend he's a farmer right next to the road (to the left). He would definitely score that one city closest to him.

But would he score the city at the very bottom (left) of the picture too? It's completed, so it is scorable, but I can't tell whether or not the grass/field links it to the main field in that picture or not.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
no, because he can't walk to it through his field (most simply put) -- it's actually connected to two very small fields and not the larger adjacent field

good description + pics at the bottom of page 3 here: http://www.riograndegames.com/uploads/Game/Game_48_gameRules.pdf

edit: actually there's a really detailed example on the last page too

edit 2: actually under final scoring too. i remember now that like half the carc manual is about farmer scoring :p

AirBrian

Lots of updates...
Code:
[B][U]GAF[/U]			[U]Game Center[/U]		[U]River[/U]		[U]Inns & Cathedrals[/U][/B]

Agyar			Agyar
AirBrian		AirBrian		Yes		Yes
AlucarD.eq		caceres.1985
Anastacio		???			Yes		Yes
AstroLad		AstroLad		Yes		Yes
Beer Monkey		beer m0nkey		Yes		Yes
Bernbaum		Bernbaum
bigwinnerx		Bigwinnerx		Yes		Yes
blahness		blahness		Yes		Yes
ChackanKun		Chackan
Chuck			CharlieConCarne		Yes		Yes
CoffeeJanitor		CoffeeJanitor		Yes		Yes
CzarTim			CzarTim			Yes		Yes
D-Back			close
Dantehemi		dantehemi
Darb			RealDarb
Darkflight		Darkflight		Yes		Yes
deim0s			deim0s_
DukeSuck		_LOLduke_		Yes		Yes
EktorPR			EktorOni
elfinke			elfinke
eznark			Eznark			Yes		Yes
Flunkie			Flunkie44		Yes		Yes
Flynn			Triphibian
Gaspode_T		Gaspode-TWD
Gamecocks625		Gamecocks625
Gatekeeper		Z3R0_5UM		Yes		Yes
Got the Shakes		Got the Shakes
Grifter			risottoball		Yes		Yes
JeffGreen		Doofaeus
Joeyjoejoeshabadoo	Joeyjoejoejrshabadoo	Yes		Yes
jon bones		jon bones
Jswanko			Jswanko			Yes		Yes
Karud			Karud
kennah			kenchuk
Kosh			Kosh One		Yes		Yes
kryptikjoker		kryptikjoker
Kryptonic		Kryptonic83		Yes		Yes
Kryten			Studs Ramrod		Yes		Yes
mercviper		Mercviper
Mike Works		mikeworks
N Coward Parody		Noel Coward Parody
Nobiru			Ray.Spencer
Noreturn		Noreturn
okno			Eirikist
outunderstars		outunderstars
pilonv1			carlosthedwarf		Yes		Yes
Porthos			Porthos
POWERSPHERE		Powersphere		Yes		Yes
punkypine		punkypine
rc213			rc213
randomwab		randomwab		Yes		Yes
Rekwest			Rekwest01
roodiculous		Roodiculous		Yes		Yes
roosters93		jmilo93			Yes		Yes
schnell			HobenScoben		Yes		Yes
Slacker			Slacker			Yes		Yes
Soktos			Soktos			Yes		Yes
soldat7			soldat 7		Yes		Yes
Squirrel Killer		Squirrel_Killer		Yes		Yes
swoon			Swoon37
technosteve		ceramicsteve
teebs33			teebs33
tetrisgrammaton		CENTAURSAUR
Vard			gamecentrist		Yes		Yes
Vinterbird		Vinterbird
WillieAames		SlothBear
Yaboosh			Yaboosh			Yes		Yes
Also, if anyone wants to change what name shows up in GameCenter (ex. change your real name to your GC/user/GAF/whatever name), follow these steps:

• Open Game Center
  • On the "Me" screen, click on your Account on the bottom of the page
  • View Account (enter password)
  • Scroll down to the "Game Center Identity" section (at the very bottom)
  • Tap "Edit Account Info" "Apple ID" -->
  • Here your First and Last Name appears, along with your Apple ID and PW. Simply change your First Name and Last Name to whatever you want. Note: This does NOT impact your Apple ID name at all. This is just for the Game Center name that appears on friends' lists.
  • Make sure to tap "Done" in the top-right (will have to do this twice), and you're finished!

Karud

Reporting in again.

Question: I never bought an ingame update and I am curious about the possibility for discounts.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Given the amount of hours I've had from it I can't see why you'd balk at paying full price for it anyway. I'd probably pay double now.

haha yup, it's ridiculous. i've played hundreds of games and don't think i've been without at least five active games going since it's been out

I caved and let my friend talk me into buying the game. If you want to play/help/own a beginner, hit me up at teowind at GC.

Game seems pretty awesome so far!

Sorry to everyone that had games going with me!!

I kinda just forgot about my iPod Touch for a month, grabbed it maybe 2 times in the last month, so i fudged up a couple Carc and Ascension games, sorry again!

Of the six "quick" random online games I've played, 2 of them have timed out, giving me the loss, and one has crashed (repeatedly), again giving me the loss.

Not fun Carcassonne developers :/

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Of the six "quick" random online games I've played, 2 of them have timed out, giving me the loss, and one has crashed (repeatedly), again giving me the loss.

Not fun Carcassonne developers :/

quickplay is alright but honestly i haven't played it in months. async is where it's at.

Quick question: Does having 2 meeple on one road cancel out an opponent's meeple on that same road, or do you just get double the points?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
for roads, cities, and fields

if you have equal amount of meeples: you all get all the points (not divided, just each get full points)

if someone has fewer meeples: they get zero, person with most still gets all

randomwab

for roads, cities, and fields

if you have equal amount of meeples: you all get all the points (not divided, just each get full points)

if someone has fewer meeples: they get zero, person with most still gets all

A double meeple doesn't give you double points, right? It only counts as two meeples in a given situation, winning out over anyone with a single meeple?

If so, I have to start getting into the habit of using them in better situations.

bonesquad

A double meeple doesn't give you double points, right? It only counts as two meeples in a given situation, winning out over anyone with a single meeple?

If so, I have to start getting into the habit of using them in better situations.

Correct. The double meeple counts as two (not double points). It's a way to protect your potential high scoring structures, or even better a way to steal one of your opponents... (not like I'm one to talk since I'm terrible at this game). Maybe I need to play more.

Strategy question: is it better to prevent an opponent from completing a large city or allow it to happen in order for you to capture points from the field?

Im thinking I should have prevented the city...

Vard

Strategy question: is it better to prevent an opponent from completing a large city or allow it to happen in order for you to capture points from the field?

Im thinking I should have prevented the city...

Yeah, cosidering you only get 3 points from the completed city, it's pretty much always better to prevent it or (even better) try to gain joint control over it.

Yeah, cosidering you only get 3 points from the completed city, it's pretty much always better to prevent it or (even better) try to gain joint control over it.

Joint control was out of the question for me. Thing that sucks was I was in the lead by a long shot and this brought two of them back into the game. I thought my field points would balance everything out. Not so fast my friend!

Ah well. Live and learn! It's my favorite multiplayer iOS game by far. Wish I would have jumped in sooner.

evilgreg

Neo Member
I just came across a ton of free time in my life so I'm open to play with you guys. Can I be added to the main list of GAF game center friends? My game center name is the same as my GAF, 'evilgreg'.

DukeSucks

Received an ipad for my birthday, and this game is even better on that screen compared to the iphone (and it is great on that)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Joint control was out of the question for me. Thing that sucks was I was in the lead by a long shot and this brought two of them back into the game. I thought my field points would balance everything out. Not so fast my friend!

Ah well. Live and learn! It's my favorite multiplayer iOS game by far. Wish I would have jumped in sooner.

Haha yup. Welcome to the fold. :D

schnell

I just sent out some invites without checking the list first so my apologies if I invited you and you don't have expansions!

Top Bottom