• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Carcassonne iPhone/iTouch

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
carcassone.jpg

Thread for Carc players to gather and set up games.

How to play: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kakQvPIKyPY

Big ol' post o' updated info courtesy AirBrian:

GAF | Game Center

Agyar | Agyar
AirBrian | AirBrian
AstroLad | AstroLad
Bernbaum | Bernbaum
bigwinnerx | Bigwinnerx
ChackanKun | Chackan
CzarTim | CzarTim
D-Back | close
Dantehemi | dantehemi
Darkflight | Darkflight
DukeSucks | _LOLduke_
EktorPR | EktorOni
elfinke | elfinke
Flunkie | Flunkie44
Flynn | Triphibian
Gaspode_T | Gaspode-TWD
Gatekeeper | TopDeckHobbies
Got the Shakes | Got the Shakes
Grifter | risottoball
JeffGreen | Doofaeus
Joeyjoejoeshabadoo | Joeyjoejoejrshabadoo
jon bones | jon bones
Jswanko | Jswanko
Karud | Karud
kennah | kenchuk
Kosh | Kosh One
kryptikjoker | kryptikjoker
Kryptonic | Kryptonic83
Kryten | Studs Ramrod
N Coward Parody | Noel Coward Parody
Nobiru | Ray.Spencer
Noreturn | Noreturn
outunderstars | outunderstars
pilonv1 | carlosthedwarf
Porthos | Porthos
Powersphere | Powersphere
punkypine | punkypine
rc213 | rc213
Rekwest | Rekwest01
roosters93 | jmilo93
swoon | Swoon37
technosteve | ceramicsteve
teebs33 | teebs33
tetrisgrammaton | CENTAURSAUR
Vinterbird | Vinterbird
WillieAames | SlothBear
Yaboosh | Yaboosh

Also, if anyone wants to change what name shows up in GameCenter (ex. change your real name to your GC/user/GAF/whatever name), follow these steps:

• Open Game Center
  • On the "Me" screen, click on your Account on the bottom of the page
  • View Account (enter password)
  • Scroll down to the "Game Center Identity" section (at the very bottom)
  • Tap "Edit Account Info" "Apple ID" -->
  • Here your First and Last Name appears, along with your Apple ID and PW. Simply change your First Name and Last Name to whatever you want. Note: This does NOT impact your Apple ID name at all. This is just for the Game Center name that appears on friends' lists.
  • Make sure to tap "Done" in the top-right (will have to do this twice), and you're finished!

Achievement List (courtesy The GAF Karkassonne Gang)

Settler - Completed Solitaire Tutorial (1 pt)
Local - Completed normal game tutorial (1 pt)
Traveler - Scored an 8 tile road (5 pts)
Voyager - Scored a 16 tile road (15 pts)
Citizen - Scored an 8 tile city (5 pts)
Mayor - Scored a 16 tile city (15 pts)
Farmer - Scored a field with 4 cities (5 pts)
Squire - Scored a field with 8 cities (15 pts)
Choir Boy - Completed 3 cloisters in one game (5 pts)
Neophyte - Completed 4 cloisers in one game (10 pts)
Monk - Completed 5 cloisers in one game (20 pts)
Abbot - Completed 6 cloisters in one game (50 pts)
Brigand - Occupied a road with 3 followers (10 pts)
Patrician - Occupied a city with 4 followers (10 pts)
Landlord - Occupied a field with 5 followers (10 pts)
I <3 Pixels - Won against Frank (5 pts)
Prince and Pauper - Won a game against Countess, Count, Maid and Servant (30 pts)
Duelist - Win against each AI in a duel (30 pts)
Nomad - Won without scoring a city (15 pts)
Wanderlust - Won without scoring a road (15 pts)
Industrialist - Won without scoring a field (15 pts)
Apprentice - Reached 1250 ELO (10 pts)
Amateur - Reached 1400 ELO (15 pts)
Pro - Reached 1550 ELO (20 pts)
Expert - Reached 1700 ELO (30 pts)
Master - Reached 1850 ELO (40 pts)
Grandmaster - Reached 2000 ELO (50 pts)
Acquaintances - Collected 1,000 points playing against your friends (5 pts)
Good Friends - Collected 10,000 points playing against your friends (10 pts)
BFF - Collected 100,000 points playing against your friends (50 pts)
Beginner's Luck - Win 1 Quick Game (1 pt)
Winner - Win 10 Quick Games (10 pts)
Champion - Win 100 Quick Games (50 pts)
Shattered Dreams - Blocked your opponent's plans and trapped his followers (5 pts)
Late Bloomer - Overtook opponent in end game scoring with field points (5 pts)
Allrounder - Scored city, road, field and cloister points in one game (5 pts)
Perfect Balance - Score equal points with cities, roads, fields and cloisters (15 pts)
Hermit - Complete a game of solitaire (5 pts)
Solitude - Get 600 points in one solitaire game (10 pts)
Meditation - Get 900 points in one solitaire game (20 pts)
Trance - Get 600 points in 10 different settlements (30 pts)
Autobahn - Completed a valid 7 tile road in solitaire (15 pts)
City Planner - Completed a valid 7 tile city in solitaire (15 pts)

Left my phone at home today--what's the price of this? I've never played, but if it's something I can just take a turn and walk away from for a few hours, I'm probably down.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Still figuring out the kinks of like pausing and all that stuff, especially for quick games, but so far so good it seems.

Lee N

Membre
AstroLad said:
i didn't know anyone browsed The Online or i woulda made a blowout OP like i am famous for!
It's not too late to edit the OP. I'm still on the fence about the game so I would like to know more about it. I do like board games but I have no frame of reference for Carcassonne.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Lee N said:
It's not too late to edit the OP. I'm still on the fence about the game so I would like to know more about it. I do like board games but I have no frame of reference for Carcassonne.
Carc is fairly distinct in terms of traditional board games. You're laying tiles to build out parts of the kingdom and you put down your little dudes at the same time to lay claim or start to lay claim to those parts, which is how you get points. It's a lightweight game but the mechanics are very solid and timeless, which is why it's arguably the most popular entry-level "designer" game after Catan. In terms of implementation, it's quite great. The game looks really nice, the pinch and zoom is very useful and smooth, and the whole package is very polished.

Here's another review: http://wireless.ign.com/articles/109/1096229p1.html Again very postitive. Looks like the only nit there is that the tiles need more "pop and flash." I actually disagree with that point though, as I'd much rather have the original tiles looking very clean at good rez than distracting animation and the like.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
vgg we're having right now

who are we waiting to join in the other one? i think 4p is my favorite. 5 is a bit too much but 4 is nice relies a lot on luck and so many possibilities

AstroLad said:
vgg we're having right now

who are we waiting to join in the other one? i think 4p is my favorite. 5 is a bit too much but 4 is nice relies a lot on luck and so many possibilities
Think the last guy showed up. Do we all have to be in that lobby to start it or can you go now?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
JPBrowncoat said:
Think the last guy showed up. Do we all have to be in that lobby to start it or can you go now?
Cool not it can be started whenever (and I guess by anyone since I didn't create the game).

Stantron

Sent a couple more PMs for emails for friend requests.
I wonder if when the iPad version comes out, it will allow play with iPhone/pod users. Hope so.

Sent from my iPad. ;P

Kryten

I'm in (for anyone who doesn't mind timezone differences, that is). kryten at viper dot net dot nz. That said, I'm playing with a mate who's on the other side of the globe and it works fantastically.

Carc name = Mike Plant

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Couple fyis:

-List on the top it of usernames. I'm going to add Carc names in parentheses.

-I can't play during the day! So anyone who's waiting for me to take a turn I'll be taking mine tonight. But I am all good to go in the evening.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
There's this weird thing in ranked/quick play where even though you lose automatically for going over time, I guess you can pause the game? Couple people have already ditched out on me as they were about to lose. Once I went back in and it said MY time had run out like a day later. Now someone else just did it to me. :/ Pretty silly.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
gg slacker

got carc big box 2 coming in for weekend gaming this fri :D

.... "it's your turn" /whisper that shit is creepy

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Those are some good close games we're having.

I had a nice run in ranked where I won like six in a row but then I ran into some 1450-rated dude and it was like playing the Witch ON STEROIDS.

Getting the tabletop version today or tomorrow for this weekend and I think I'm going to destroy my friends just based on all my iPhone experience now. :lol

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Wow that was another really close game. Got lucky at the end to connect my last farm.

Anyone up for a game? Maybe 4p? Happy to send out invs.

DukeSucks

finally registered a name. I hadn't played carc until getting this app, so I'm not too good, but it is fun. I'm up to play with anyone.

Carc name is DukeSucks.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
yep good one!

duke pm me your email and i'll send you a friend invite

fyi gonna be out until tomorrow night so my apologies for holding up any games or not responding to invs quickly!

So it looks like I gotta restart all my games. So anyone with "BamSaidTheLady" in a game now, I probably F'd it up. =( Sorries.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
JPBrowncoat said:
So it looks like I gotta restart all my games. So anyone with "BamSaidTheLady" in a game now, I probably F'd it up. =( Sorries.
Damn that's weird that they do it like that. Bummer! I'll start a new one.

DukeSucks

not sure if I should ask this here or in the gaming forum thread, but after we start a game, every time I open the app it goes straight to that game. How do I back out of it, so I can play some local games to practice while waiting for the next person to go?

Gotta be something simple that I am overlooking.

oh yeah, astro is so good at this game. But I did learn a few simple strategies by watching your turns. I was at busch gardens today, so it was a good way to pass the time while waiting in lines :D

Hit the gear icon and select pause game.

Also it just got updated and looks great on the 4 now. I need to get some new games going!

centracore

AstroLad please add me to the list, in-game name is centracore just like here on GAF. I'm gonna PM everyone on the list right now with my email so I can hopefully start playing some games soon.

I also have to add that I'm very impressed with the job the developers did on this.. hopefully the people who developed the iPhone version of Catan are taking notes (but I really doubt it).

centracore said:
AstroLad please add me to the list, in-game name is centracore just like here on GAF. I'm gonna PM everyone on the list right now with my email so I can hopefully start playing some games soon.

I also have to add that I'm very impressed with the job the developers did on this.. hopefully the people who developed the iPhone version of Catan are taking notes (but I really doubt it).
Catan on iPhone is just ... so meh. Carcasonne feels like a board game--I wish they would have done that with Catan instead of trying to make it into some cartoon world.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
SnakeswithLasers said:
Catan on iPhone is just ... so meh. Carcasonne feels like a board game--I wish they would have done that with Catan instead of trying to make it into some cartoon world.
Catan is . . . decent I guess. There's nothing horribly wrong with it and I actually did have a good time just cranking out games against the CPU, but the AI is super weak and no online is very unfortunate. Carcassonne is just plum elegant on almost every level.

AstroLad said:
Catan is . . . decent I guess. There's nothing horribly wrong with it and I actually did have a good time just cranking out games against the CPU, but the AI is super weak and no online is very unfortunate. Carcassonne is just plum elegant on almost every level.
Ya. Decent.

My girlfriend and I played a few 'pass and play' matches. It's fine for that--but trading is kind of a pain, as is keeping track of the cards everyone has. But for $5, it beats buying the board game I guess? :lol

Carcassonne is so much better for pass and play. It just has a great "feel" to it, not to mention the actual game is just a better fit on the device.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I just hope TheCodingMonkeys get to do more games. Don't know what the arrangement is but Stone Age would be another great Hans im Glück title, whose aesthetics TCM could do justice to. Flynn posted in the BG thread yesterday that another company is coming out with a TON of board games on iPhone. I only hope they're at least 80% of Carc's quality. I've noticed that Carc is always on the list of hot new apps, and at five bucks that seems to be a pretty great sign that there could be a really good business here.

Hmm. Why don't you go ahead and host. I only have you and centracore on my list and he hasn't responded yet. (Admittedly, I just sent him the email.)
Also, I'm at work, so my turns might be a little slow.

Edit: Holy crap, I need to turn off this soft guitar jam.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
No worries I sent out invs to another game to you two. Play at your leisure that's what iCarc's all about!

God, am I dumb? I didn't get the invite in my email and don't see a place in game.

Edit: Ok, it looks like my email accounts are just screwed up on my new phone. I think my account was set up on one email address, but I was sending invites to the other.

Send me an invite whenever, hopefully this works!

Edit 2: And I'm in. Rad.

Foob

i just bought this game...my username is foob

i guess ill give my email to anyone who wants to pm me and playyyy

i cant find anyone in quick play :(

Top Bottom