• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow Era |OT| Free cross-platform TCG for PC, Mac, iPhone, iPad and Android devices

Card Boy

Banned
Xh17f.png

Developer: Wulven Game Studios
Platform: Web / PC / Mac / iPhone / iPad / Android
Price: Free to play and download
Genre: TCG (Trading Card Game)
Where: www.shadowera.com , Android Market, or Apple applicable store.

About

Shadow Era is an online, multiplayer, free to play collectible trading card game. It features deep strategy, easy gameplay, and gorgeous card art.

Features
  • Currently 400 cards (with another 200 on the way) and new cards being added constantly
  • Cross-platform multiplayer battles
  • Deck building
  • Rankings and Leaderboards
  • Merchant: Buy and sell cards for gold earned ingame
  • Free to play, low cost to expand
Q: How much does it cost?
A: All versions will be free to play, featuring the option to earn new cards through gameplay or purchase additional booster packs. Packs of 15 cards can be purchased for $0.99, using in-game gold, or by completing special "trial offers" from SuperRewards.

Q: What do you get for free?
A: When you first start the game, you can choose your starting Hero, from Warrior, Hunter, Mage, or Priest. The class you choose will determine which free class deck of 30 cards you will begin the game with. It is entirely possible to continue playing the game indefinitely without having to pay anything, and still remain competitive.

Each time you level up, you will also earn Shadow Crystals that are used to buy booster packs or special class decks. And just like regular TCGs, you can fully play the game with only the free starter deck, however by purchasing the booster packs you can get rare cards, and many different expansions will be offered in the future with a lot of new card series.

The game also features a trading system, where you can sell your unwanted cards for gold, and buy new cards using your in-game gold.

Q: What is the gameplay like?
A: Shadow Era is inspired by more strategic card games such as Magic the Gathering and World of Warcraft Trading Card Game. You will build a deck from a total of 400 unique cards with some of the most amazing art you have ever seen. Complete missions against the Shadow Warriors, or battle against other players to gain experience, and win Shadow Crystals to buy new card packs each time you level up!

The core card game is most similar to the WoW TCG. Each side has a main Hero character, and you can recruit Allies to join the battle. The objective is simply to kill the enemy Hero, but obviously the challenge is to also keep your own Hero alive. Should you take out the enemy Allies first, or go straight for the Hero? That's for you to decide... To further add to the strategy, there are weapon and armor cards to improve your Hero's stats, as well as ability and spell cards.

Beyond the core game, there is a RPG style level progression and tournament ladder. You can complete missions against the Shadow Warriors, or challenge other players in a multiplayer battle.

Q: What are the icons on the cards?

se112.jpg

A: Top left: Casting cost. In Shadow Era, each turn you can choose to sacrifice a card to gain energy, that will allow to to bring new cards into play.
Top right: Class restrictions. The icon identifies this card as only being available to Wulven Heroes.
Bottom left: Attack damage. You can choose the target of your attack, and you will do this much damage to them.
Bottom right: Health. Be warned that your target will also fight back! When the card's health drops to 0, the card is removed from play. If you lose your hero, then you have lost the game.

Q: What cards come in booster packs?
A: Booster Packs contain 15 random cards - 10 common, 3 uncommon, 1 rare or epic, and 1 hero card (which a small chance of a legendary).

Videos

TotalBiscuit WTF is video

Screenshots

screen_480_2.jpg
screen_480_1.jpg

screen_480_3.jpg
screen_480_4.jpg

I'll check it out. WoW TCG has some of my favorite TCG mechanics ever. "Hero" cards, persistent monster damage, play any card as a resource, etc...

Card Boy

Banned
I like how you don't have to spend any money on it. Decks and booster packs cost 100 crystals each (which is 1 dollar each in real money). You earn 25 crytals per level for free.

Here is the pricing system, you get bonus crystals the more you spend.

f8AFu.png

So with 20bucks you can get 27 booster packs or decks which is about 405 to 675 cards. Since there is 200 cards in the game (at the moment) there is obviously going to be doubles. You can sell those doubles for in game gold which guys you more cards.

Glad you made a thread about this!

I just downloaded it on my iPad and I am already hooked.

There is definitely room for improvement but the core game is really great. Would be nice to at least see more varied normal attack animations. There should at least be unique ones between hero classes when attacking with an equipped weapon. Instead of my Mage attacking with the stock sword animation.

The spells and such do sometimes have some nice effects. I like using the rain delay ne just because it looks damn nice on the iPad :D

And yeah the pay model is very nice. I didnt expect you to be able to buy new cards with in game gold. And the resell rates are actually really fair. I will probably buy 1 or 2 packs but otherwise it seems really easy to play for free.

Danj

I lol'd at that "Jasmine Rosecult" card. But yeah this sounds interesting, guess I'll try it out.

Danj

Is the downloadable PC executable version higher res than the web version? Because the web version feels a bit cramped on my PC.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Did they ever add a Friend's List option or cross-platform multiplayer? I hated only playing with randoms. And my brother and I wanted to play this together, but we couldn't because he was on an Android phone and I was playing on iPad.

This plays almost identically to the WoW TCG, which is a VERY good thing.

E: I bought a pack of shadow crystals when the game was still very young. I was able to put together a really boss deck with a few bucks. I can get on board with that. :)

Card Boy

Banned
Just thought i might give the heads up that there are Physical Shadow Era cards. The Shadow Era cards can also be redeemed for Shadow Crystals ingame.

I think they are making a loss on these cards. For the same price as Shadow Crystals in game you are getting physical cards.

http://www.wulven.com/cards.php

$10 - CLASS STARTER DECK
Your choice of a preconstructed CLASS STARTER DECK which includes 60 cards and 1 booster pack. Plus a BONUS of 1,300 Shadow Crystals in the digital game!
(Please add $2 for international shipping outside of US & Canada)

$20 - YOU AND A FRIEND
Your choice of two preconstructed CLASS STARTER DECKS which includes 2 booster packs. Plus a BONUS of 2,700 Shadow Crystals in the digital game!
(Please add $3 for international shipping outside of US & Canada)

$40 - BOOSTER BOX
Includes 24 BOOSTER PACKS of 15 cards each, including random uncommon, rare and epic cards. Plus a BONUS of 5,800 Shadow Crystals in the digital game!
(Outside the US, please add shipping of $10 to Canada, $20 international)

$90 - 10x CLASS STARTER DECKS
All 10 CLASS STARTER DECKS which includes 10 booster packs. Plus a BONUS of 13,300 Shadow Crystals in the digital game!

$100 - COLLECTOR'S EDITION
For the collector, this package includes EVERY CARD in the game, including all common, uncommon, rare and epic cards. This is a total of 200 cards, and only offered this one time! And of course, a BONUS of 15,000 Shadow Crystals in the digital game!

$150 - EPIC COLLECTION
All 10 CLASS STARTER DECKS which includes 10 booster packs, and TWO BOOSTER BOXES for another 48 booster packs. Also includes a custom high quality PLAYMAT featuring art from the game, plus a BONUS of 22,500 Shadow Crystals in the digital game!
(Outside the US, please add shipping of $20 to Canada, $40 international)

$300 - COMPLETE PLAYSET
For the serious collector, this package includes 4x EVERY CARD in the game, including all common, uncommon, rare and epic cards. This is a total of 800 cards, and only offered this one time! Also includes a special limited edition, high quality PLAYMAT featuring art from the game. And of course, a BONUS of 45,000 Shadow Crystals in the digital game!
(Outside the US, please add shipping of $20 to Canada, $40 international)

There are 29 days left on the sale. I guess they are trying to start a trend here.

Card Boy

Banned
Just thought i might make a small bump looks like Wulven are about to cross the $40000 mark with the physical cards.

There has being bonus's for each milestone.

Level 1 - SC Bonus
To start off, we're going to match all pre-orders with the equivalent amount of Shadow Crystals in the digital game. That's right, you'll get the Shadow Crystals immediately, and then essentially the physical cards are free!

Level 2 - SC Codes - $20,000
Wow! We reached the first goal in just a few days... Now we'll be able to include a generated code in each deck and booster pack to redeem online for the equivalent amount of Shadow Crystals in the digital game. That means you'll get codes to double your SC bonus!

Level 3 - Foil Cards - $30,000
What game is complete without rare and epic foil cards? When we reach this goal, everyone will get 1 copy of each foiled card we do, for free! (limit 1 per household) The Collector's Edition and Complete Playset will also be built with the foil cards.

Level 4 - Playmats - $40,000
When we reach this goal, everyone will get a limited edition playmat! Made from the same material as mouse pads, it will feature high quality original art from Shadow Era (limit 1 per household, we'll have a vote to choose the image, different from the Epic Collection and Complete Playset playmats)

TBD
Posters, collector's tins, special tokens and counters, and lots more are waiting as bonuses...

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
I play this game a ton...like a ton a ton.

Really annoyed with this current version of the game, however. While I appreciate what they were trying to do by making hero abilities more meaningful and game-changing, they've basically made 3 heroes worth playing.

- Eldawyn
- Logan
- Darkclaw

Now of course I can beat people playing these decks, but as it sits right now the abilities and card combinations with these decks are a bit strong.

Eldawyn can lay on the damage fast, but requires a draw engine of somekind to be effective. If you can cut her cards you can beat her.

Logan depends on board control through crippling blow and his natural, and it's not easily countered if you have an ally heavy deck. Even if you play an item destruction heavy deck there will always be the turn the weapon is cast when Logan can use his ability.

Darkclaw requires that you have item destruction to even have a prayer of winning, or just a really bad draw.

Because of this, I play Tel Adun with his natural being item destruction. I've always preferred warriors because of their draw engine in Blood Frenzy being balanced by Wrath, and their crippling blow card really messes with a lot of decks. His item destruction can kill a Bazaar that and Eldawyn would play, kill Dual Wield or weapons that Logan is playing, or kill any weapon or ability that Darkclaw relies on to survive.

Tel Adun's biggest problem is that Eldawyn can still use Bad Santa to get cards and Logan can still use his weapons immediately on use. Also any hero that doesn't rely on items so much like Elementals are tough since they have great board control naturally.

I kind of feel forced to play Tel Adun, and it kind of sucks. The combinations that exist out there with other heroes are cool, but just aren't competitive. When this version first came out I was 300+ rating, now I keep floating around 250 because I refuse to play with a cookie cutter deck mentioned above.

Blah! If those three decks were just SLIGHTLY nerfed, I'd be happy. Just make Logan's ability take one extra shadow energy to use. Make Darkclaw's teeth weapon negatively impacted by Acid Jet. Make Eldawyn's ability back to only affecting allies.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Don't worry 1.3xx looks like its really balancing things out.

Would be comforting. As it stands now I've been playing this version the least due to the weird balancing problems.

Still a great game, just a bit off at the moment.

Hopefully I can go back to using Zaladar who's my favorite. Elementals just have some of the coolest situational cards and Zaladar's board control with his natural makes me all happy inside.

Lan_97

60k was passed (exclusive foil epic neutral ally). The next reward is 80k for custom counters and tokens. Hopefully we somehow reach that and have enough to go for the collector's tin.

This is an incredible deal for anyone with even a passing interest in the game. Even with the $10 starter deck you get enough in-game crystals to build a bunch of competitive decks, not to mention getting the physical cards and bonuses.

I started playing this game last week and have had a lot of fun so far. The game is very easy to get into but there's a lot of depth in the deck building. Definitely needs a better UI and a friend list.

Just started playing this and it's a lot of fun. Was thinking of paying so I could try out some different decks now I'm tempted by the physical pack because I love the art design

Lan_97

If you spend any money on the game, it's very much worth at least pre-ordering one physical deck, just for the bonus crystals and extras.

If you want to try out other classes, you can always create an alt account and start with a new hero. Also, don't forget that each account gets a one time bonus of 100-200 crystals. http://game.shadowera.com/bonus.php

Card Boy

Banned
I'm thinking of dropping 20 bucks on the 'You and a friend' bundle.

Your choice of two preconstructed CLASS STARTER DECKS which includes 2 booster packs. Plus a BONUS of 2,700 Shadow Crystals in the digital game!

They all seem like a good deal. I'm thinking of Human Mage, but i am eyeing the Wulven deck for the second deck.

If you spend any money on the game, it's very much worth at least pre-ordering one physical deck, just for the bonus crystals and extras.

If you want to try out other classes, you can always create an alt account and start with a new hero. Also, don't forget that each account gets a one time bonus of 100-200 crystals. http://game.shadowera.com/bonus.php

Yeah I used that code already, let me put together a terrible deck to challenge someone; I somehow won then again he had a deck of over 100 cards

I'm thinking of dropping 20 bucks on the 'You and a friend' bundle.

They all seem like a good deal. I'm thinking of Human Mage, but i am eyeing the Wulven deck for the second deck.

Yeah I'm thinking of that pack too, it is a really great deal

Card Boy

Banned
Ok i went in for the Human Mage & Wulven physical decks. I gonna sit on those 2700 Shadow Crystals for when they release new decks and cards in game. At the moment i getting lots of doubles.

Hopefully they can get to $80000 in 7 days, those tokens and counters will be useful.

Also the 1.30 patch should be dropping soon, it brings tons of balance changes.

Lan_97

Passed 80k. Next up is 100k for a collector's tin. It would be great to have that to store all my cards. Awesome deal.

I ended picking up Human Rogue/Priest and Shadow Wulven/Mage decks. I spent some of the crystals from the purchase last night and it's been fun playing around with other classes besides mage. Looking forward to 1.3.

Card Boy

Banned
3 more G's now to the collectors Tin with 54 hours to go!

They added this if they reach $110K

Level 8 - Exclusive Foil Heroes - $110,000
Right from the start, your opponent will tremble in fear when you play with your EXCLUSIVE FOIL HERO. A complete set of all 20 heroes in glorious shiny foil, available ONLY to pre-order customers. (limit 1 per household on $20 and below orders)

Card Boy

Banned
Last time i'm bumping this unless someone else wants to do the honors.

They are under 5 grand away from card sleeves for the cards.

Level 10 - Card Sleeves - $130,000
Protect your investment with a set of official Shadow Era card sleeves. A must for any serious player! (limit 1 per household on $20 and below orders)

They already got the 110K and 120K bonuses, we got Gold in game avatars for the game at 120K.

blackflag

Shadowera and Wulven sites go down after the crowd funding ends. LOL Hope it is just a coincidence. Been down for hours.

J-Rock

Banned
Just downloaded this on the iPhone. A lot of fun. Tons of card combos to explore. I grew up playing stuff like Magic: The Gathering so this game really clicked with me. Hope they can continue to update it.

Card Boy

Banned
Just downloaded this on the iPhone. A lot of fun. Tons of card combos to explore. I grew up playing stuff like Magic: The Gathering so this game really clicked with me. Hope they can continue to update it.

There was a massive update awhile ago.

Also i think they should be sending out the physical cards soon from their 'Kickstarter'

They also reopened the pre-orders acouple weeks back and new and older pre-orders get this

Exclusive Foil 1 - Fire Snake - $145,000
Exclusive Foil 2 - Jasmine Rosecult - $150,000
Exclusive Foil 3 - Plasma Behemoth $155,000
Exclusive Foil 4 - Armored Sandworm $160,000
Exclusive Foil 5 - Death Mage Thaddeus $165,000
Exclusive Foil 6 - Aldon the Brave $170,000
Exclusive Foil 7 & 8 - Double Bonus - Erika Shadowhunter and Raven Wildheart $175,000
Exclusive Foil 9 & 10 - Double Bonus - Medusil and Cobra Demon $180,000
Exclusive Foil 11 & 12 - Double Bonus - Dirk Saber and Kurt Whitehelm $185,000
Exclusive Foil 13 & 14 - Double Bonus - Katrin the Shieldmaiden and Shadow Knight $190,000
Exclusive Foil 15 & 16 - Double Bonus - Chimera and Bad Wolf $195,000
Exclusive Foils Explosion! - $200,000
This will be the final milestone, to mark the amazing achievement of funding 10x our original goal! To show our appreciation to all our supporters, once we reach this goal we will start production of an amazing total of 55 exclusive premium foils (including those above)! This will include 3 foils for each class (such as Rampage and Supernova), faction abilities such as Bloodlust, and armor and weapons such as Moonlight Bracers.

They reached over 200K btw.

Not bad for a $20 investment.

Raxum

Just found this game after playing a few of the newer card games on Android and wanting something more like Magic. This is a pretty damn well-rounded card game from what I've played so far. Anyone in here still playing this?

Card Boy

Banned
Well i finally got my physical cards after a long period. USPS lost my package twice, i got tracking codes for both of them and they went dead between the Warehouse and Australia. I've got to give it to Wulven they still persisted with me and eventually personally took care of it.

The cards themselfs are really good quality and is what you would expect from something like Magic: The Gathering. I only got my 2 main 60 card decks i ordered, 2 booster packs (15 cards each) and 2 packs of Foils (60 cards each). I have yet to receive my tin, counters and mat which i assume is still get it made.

I kind of feel sorry for Wulven, they are probably making these cards at a huge loss.

You can buy the physical cards here. Not as good as a deal as the 'Kickstarter'

http://www.wulven.com/cards.php

Anyone still playing this by the way. I started last year a d played for about a month. Stopped for a long time but got back into it after trying hearthstone it reminded me how good this game was and have gone back to it.

Used to play priest (mainly because I got a foil zhanna lol). Recently playing elementalis instead and climbing the ranks. Currently 240 rating.

Anyway they have their next expansion due. Its in beta and no release date yet but I think its 200 extra cards and the list is available on their site. Looks to be some great new combos and hero's to try when it does arrive.

Card Boy

Banned
Abit of a bump and old news there is a new expansion set in the works called Shattered Fates which adds another 200 cards to the game. I also blew like 2000 of my shadow crystals (because 2000 where for a sorry for stuffing my physical card order) and i managed to get 2 legendary cards. Apprently you can't buy them with gold and they only come from boosters.

I got these 2

Karlstrad.jpg
Scourge.jpg

Top Bottom