• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Online Boardgaming Megathread (Carcassonne, Everything Playdek, & Many More)

Heel

Playdek Spring Sale

It’s time for a little Spring Cleaning around the office! To help us out with this daunting task, we have decided to hold a Spring Sale for our products!

The sale started today (April 18th) and will run through April 28th, so check out the sale and perhaps pick up a game you’ve always wanted to check out!

The prices for the games are as follows:

Agricola - 3.99

Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer - FREE

Can't Stop - 0.99

Fluxx - 0.99

Food Fight - 0.99

Lords of Waterdeep - 5.99

Nightfall - 0.99

Penny Arcade - 0.99

Summoner Wars - FREE

Tanto Cuore - 0.99

But it doesn’t stop there, the sale is extending to most of the IAP we offer! Make sure to take a look at the IAP for your favorite games to see if something you’ve had your eye on is now on sale!

Sale ends April 28th so check out the prices before the sale ends!

Hereafter

Anyone playing Hearthstone? I broke down and made a New Zealand account to get it early on iPad. Won my first non-CPU match with 1 life left. So good.

Slade#1166 if you want to add me.

I added you Slade. ID is Pickled#1421. Feel free to add me Fellow Canadians and Not Canadians alike!

You guys are still playing SW? Wowzers!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
This isn't the same tourney from 1/2 a year ago is it?!?! o_O

In the next couple weeks I'm probably putting together a new digital-board-game thread for the forum. As part of that I think we should go back to separate Community threads for tournaments. Ray does a fantastic job running them (seriously, it's easy to neglect all the little work you have to do to track these things) and I really want to think of a way to maximize participation.

Hereafter

In the next couple weeks I'm probably putting together a new digital-board-game thread for the forum. As part of that I think we should go back to separate Community threads for tournaments. Ray does a fantastic job running them (seriously, it's easy to neglect all the little work you have to do to track these things) and I really want to think of a way to maximize participation.

Not playing Hearthstone Astro?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Not playing Hearthstone Astro?

Hahah, funny you should mention that I just got back into it this weekend after playing maybe a couple of hours during the beta. I think the most appealing things about it to me are just how quick it plays and the presentation is incredibly. Oh the things Blizzard could do with Netrunner.... I have a deck that is Secret-heavy and relies on big blasts to close things out. Won about 85% of my ranked games but I'm only up to Level 15 or something and I'm sure my deck is horrible given that I've read nothing about the meta or strategy. :p (Compare to Netrunner where I read probably 2-5 hours of strategy/tournament materials per week.)

No way I have time to get into it seriously but hooray for automatch and the ability to crank out ten games in a half hour whenever I feel like it because it's a really light and fun experience.

Is the new thread going to expand the focus of the thread to include stuff like OCTGN? Android? PC board games? And, games like Hearthstone and Sol Forge? That aren't based off actual board games, but are totally board games (or card games).

I'm down for making threads for each new tournament too. Participation needs to improve and I would like to get more strict on the time limits. I love running tourneys for you guys, but there is so little interest now that its not really worth my time and effort currently, so specific threads should help.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I'm thinking of arbitrarily limiting to digital implementations of actual physical board/card games. When this thread started, one of the quickest things to fall off the radar was the set of "board-game-like" digital games that weren't actually based on an existing property. Nice thing is that most of the major ones of these have their own threads (Hearthstone, SolForge).

Aight. But Android, OCTGN and other PC games will be included? I mean 90% of the games are on iOS anyway, and OCTGN is only really Netrunner which has its own thread... But it would be nice to include all this stuff anyway I guess. Haha

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Aight. But Android, OCTGN and other PC games will be included? I mean 90% of the games are on iOS anyway, and OCTGN is only really Netrunner which has its own thread... But it would be nice to include all this stuff anyway I guess. Haha

Yes definitely the plan. I own every platform so I am very supportive of highlighting all the best games wherever they may be.

Heel

Looks like Catan online multiplayer is very close. Development for the app got moved away from USM to a dev called Exozet, which can only be good news. The current app is pretty awful. From BGG:

Catan Gets Multiplayer (Finally. Kind of. Maybe.)

Catan for iOS and Android has always had one giant mark against it: no multiplayer. It's a pretty great adaptation of Settlers if you don't mind the AI, but without multiplayer it was hard to stack it against other the other board game juggernauts on the mobile scene like Carcassonne (iOS) and Agricola. Well, that's all set to change...sometime.

There is a Catan 4.0 update and it's finished, but if you have an iOS device you can't download it. In fact, even if you have an Android device you might not be able to download it. New developers, Exozet Games GmbH, are doing a staged rollout of the update so their servers don't explode. The update will be gradually disseminated across Google Play and once that's done and Exozet is happy with it, they'll open it up on iOS.

Of course, if you read iOS Board Games regularly, you know this already.

So, why am I posting? Good question.

We now have a fairly detailed change log on everything that's coming in version 4.0 and it's more than just multiplayer. Take it away, boys:

Exozet wrote:
- Optimized tablet version; further high-resolution graphics added for current devices
- Scenario selection updated for easier browsing
- All scenarios are now unlocked for custom games after purchasing a corresponding expansion
- Various tweaks to the implementation of game rules in special cases
- Performance optimized
- Added additional difficulty setting for all computer opponents
- Numerous smaller tweaks and optimizations

Online play will require registration with the Catan servers (no Game Center) and will function with basic Settlers and Catan: The Seafarers. Multiplayer for Catan: Cities and Knights will be added down the road.

Oh, and lest you think that online multiplayer will be asynchronous, let me quash those hopes and dreams now. Catan will feature live, synchronous, online because trading asynchronously would suck. I tend to agree with them on this one. Luckily, the game will have bots fill spots during live games if someone decides to drop out.

When will we see the update? Check Google Play now. It might already be waiting for you. You can grab Catan on iOS, too (iPhone or iPad), but you'll have to wait for the update.

Slacker

Catan might be worth a try now, though I still feel like that's one of those games that really requires the right group in front of you to enjoy. Glad to see it's not async too, I don't see how that would work.

Yes definitely the plan. I own every platform so I am very supportive of highlighting all the best games wherever they may be.

Yeah. I own everything too (even a windows7 phone! Its a little old though :p).

It mostly won't change much, since everything is on iOS anyway, and most people will be playing stuff there, but it would be good to be able to talk about all platforms without feeling like Im talking about stuff in a place that isn't for it.

Catan might be worth a try now, though I still feel like that's one of those games that really requires the right group in front of you to enjoy. Glad to see it's not async too, I don't see how that would work.
It's tricky. I wonder how long live games will take especially with 4 players. Not sure I'd ever have the opportunity to play 45 minutes straight.
The craziest was Kingdom Builder which launched a BSW client (a slightly baffling live board game portal) where you get dumped into playing live against someone on a PC.

what's hearthstone?
When it's eventually released on iPhone I'll be able to tell you :p
It's a CCG and supposedly very good.

On another note Rivals For Catan has had an update. it looks like Exozet have taken on the development (as with Settlers of Catan). I don't know how the online part works (probably live only) but playing the AI was actually quite good. It seems to be a lot better than when it came out.
There's one or two minor issues - it's hard to tell the ships apart when you must discard one.

Yeah, I'd describe that as an overwhelming victory. Didn't you have like 17 magic at some point?

I think 14 was my highest. Haha. Its not like I was just sacrificing everything either. I played all 3 champs I think (or I had the last one ready to go at least) and I had a bunch of common dudes out there all game. It worked out really well. Haha.

So lets get Lords of Waterdeep going again!

If I remember correctly, superrobot v besada timed out 2 times for Besada, so superrobot wins, and Astro v NorrenRadd never got going?

Also, for Summoner Wars, any updates on Astro v Merc, and TM24 v bonesquad?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

If I remember correctly, superrobot v besada timed out 2 times for Besada, so superrobot wins, and Astro v NorrenRadd never got going?

We got the game going.

mercviper

gg merc

i'm now 0-5 with vanguards glad to get them out of the way though :p

Gg Astro.

Mercviper wins over astrolad.

I played the new mind control guys benders vs Astros vanguard. Forgot to take a ss like normal. :(

OK, thanks Merc and Astro.

TM, Im giving you the win vs bonesquad, he hasnt been on GAF all month. Sorry bonesquad, I wanna keep this thing moving, hah.

and I put in superrobot win over smiley.

Round 10:

Challonge hasnt loaded the TM v bonesquad match yet for some reason. so I will update this post when it does.

Sooooooo.....

Weird complication with the Summoner Wars tournament. We somehow broke the Swiss algorithm, and it can't process the new matchups for round 10. I can stop it at round 9, but that kind of sucks. I can create a new one though based around our current rankings, and try to get that one last game though.

Let me know what you guys want to do.

Sooooooo.....

Weird complication with the Summoner Wars tournament. We somehow broke the Swiss algorithm, and it can't process the new matchups for round 10. I can stop it at round 9, but that kind of sucks. I can create a new one though based around our current rankings, and try to get that one last game though.

Let me know what you guys want to do.
If it's the only way you can do it. Ending it at Rd 9 won't affect me much. Are you going to run playoffs for the top 4.

Top Bottom