• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Carmack - 360 to be primary development platform

jedimike

I did a search for Carmack and it came up empty... so don't rake me if old.

http://www.evilavatar.com/

Next Generation Online has culled a few John Carmack quotes from PC Gamer UK, including word that the Xbox 360 is going to be their primary development platform.

Quote:
"The Xbox 360 will probably will be id's primary development platform. As it is right now, we would get the game up on the 360. When I would do major hack-and-slash architectural changes it was back on the PC, but it’s looking like the Xbox 360 will be our target. All of our tools are on the PC, and we’re maintaining the game running on the PC, but probably all of our gameplay development and testing will be done on the Xbox 360. It’s a really sweet development system."

Lukkas

Banned
Yea ? Whats he gonna say in 2 years when PC hardware along with Directx10 and Vista makes Xbox 360 look like something from 1999?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Lukkas said:
Yea ? Whats he gonna say in 2 years when PC hardware along with Directx10 and Vista makes Xbox 360 look like something from 1999?

Don't you mean something from 2005?

hadareud

The Translator
Lukkas said:

"the 360 was our primary development platform"

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Sweet, more mediocre titles for 360!

And, what he's gonna say is wow the console market is so much larger so I can roll in so much more money! While whining about all this tech-mumbo jumbo!

phonte

Banned
and in what way is this of any consequence?

doom was a seminal achievement, i'll admit, but carmack isn't exactly someone of note in THIS - not PC - industry.

doom 4 arriving on the 360 first? yay?

hadareud

The Translator
SnakeXs said:

And, what he's gonna say is wow the console market is so much larger so I can roll in so much more money! While whining about all this tech-mumbo jumbo!

Yeah, this shitty Wolfenstein and Doom mediocrity

Lukkas

Banned
No I mean something from 1999.

Its 2006 right now and certain PC games from 2004 like Half Life 2 and Far Cry with HDR enabled already make 99% of 360 games out right now look outdated.

The art of their next game looks pretty awesome. Should be an awesome game. I hope they show it at E3 2006.

btw: This is actually very old news. The president of id already said that their next game (wolfenstein) will be using X360 as the primary dev platform and this was at X05.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Doom_Bringer said:
The art of their next game looks pretty awesome. Should be an awesome game. I hope they show it at E3 2006

I always get tricked with every game. Great graphics, poor gameplay. Same shit, different graphics.

Cpl_Cain

Banned
We’re doing simultaneous development on Xbox 360 and PC, and we intend to release on PlayStation 3 simultaneously as well, but it’s not a mature enough platform right now for us to be doing much work on."

WTF? I thought the "final" beta kits just shipped? If they're shipping final kits, wouldn't devs have had stable betas for a while now?

hadareud said:
"the 360 was our primary development platform"

true, but after reading masters of doom I wish I was more into pc gaming during the doom era just seeing all that stuff for the first time must have been sweet and it sounds like the communities for those games were 1000x better than they are now.

what Im trying to say is ids heydey is about over doom3/quake 4 were decent but.. nothing like it used to be. (omg a NEW ID GAME/ENGINE/MOD!!!)

dorio

Banned
Lukkas said:

Its 2006 right now and certain PC games from 2004 like Half Life 2 and Far Cry with HDR enabled already make 99% of 360 games out right now look outdated.
Sounds like you know little about tech.

Gravitom

SnakeXs said:

This is the same guy who refused to sell id multiple times, refused money for xbox exclusives and also almost walked from id when publishers wanted to keep them from making games moddable. Say what you want about Carmack but he cares little about money.

Lukkas

Banned
dorio said:

What you gonna give me your "but launch games of a consoles lifecycle always look bad" crap ?

I remember this console called Xbox 1 where the graphics were nearly maxed out with launch titles like DOA 3, Halo, and Rallisport 1.

hadareud

The Translator
ZombieSupaStar said:
what Im trying to say is ids heydey is about over doom3/quake 4 were decent but.. nothing like it used to be. (omg a NEW ID GAME/ENGINE/MOD!!!)

I agree with this on the quake side (which is not developed by id), but I think Doom is still a big seller.

Not that I'm personally very interested in it.

jedimike

The first step in damage control is always to discredit the source - so I'm glad you guys nailed that. Unlike Japan, the US has very few gaming icons... Carmack is one of the few. To say he is irrelevant, is kind of... irrelevant.

btw, if you follow the link, he also complains about the PS3 and 360 for the multi-processor CPU's, but praises them for the GPU's.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
ZombieSupaStar said:
true, but after reading masters of doom I wish I was more into pc gaming during the doom era just seeing all that stuff for the first time must have been sweet and it sounds like the communities for those games were 1000x better than they are now.

Those days were cool. Wolfenstein was cool and then we were all floored by Doom. It was a phenonmenon.

Now, I have a lackluster opinion of id. John is a brilliant programmer, but I wish their gameplay was deeper. They seem to be merely showcases for Johns incredible engines.

hadareud

The Translator
Lukkas said:
What you gonna give me your "but launch games of a consoles lifecycle always look bad" crap ?

I remember this console called Xbox 1 where the graphics were nearly maxed out with launch titles like DOA 3, Halo, and Rallisport 1.

wtf?

Prine

Banned
Lukkas said:

:lol :lol

Jim

What console games has id actually developed over the past 2 generations? Besides a bit of support, I thought every last game was farmed out to other developers?

The Xbox version of Doom 3 was handled by Vicarious Visions, and Xbox 360 version of Quake 4 by Raven Software, for example.

Lukkas

Banned
hadareud said:

What wtf ? Is that statement not true ? There is only slight improvement going from Halo 1 - Halo 2, Rallisport 1 - Ralli 2, and DOA 3 to DOA Ultimate.

Hell you can hardly even tell the difference between DOA 3 on Xbox and DOA 4 on 360 if playing on a non-hdtv set

jedimike said:
btw, if you follow the link, he also complains about the PS3 and 360 for the multi-processor CPU's, but praises them for the GPU's.

He has no experience with multi core CPU's. He was bitching about them before Cell or the Xbox 360's CPU's were announced. He said he liked a powerful CPU with no cores instead of a multi core CPU.

All these PC developers like Valve, SOE, id etc are having problems with multi core CPU's and they are bitching about it. Why? Cause they have no experience with them.

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
Lukkas said:

Lukkas said:
Hell you can hardly even tell the difference between DOA 3 on Xbox and DOA 4 on 360 if playing on a non-hdtv set.

dorio said:

Confirmed. :lol

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Jim said:
What console games has id actually developed over the past 2 generations? Besides a bit of support, I thought every last game was farmed out to other developers?

The Xbox version of Doom 3 was handled by Vicarious Visions, and Quake 4 by Raven Software, for example.

I don't think they have natively developed for any consoles.

I also want to say I admire John Carmack because he's honest. He won't spin or give you a bullshit answer. He will tell you the truth. They had the 4 owners of id software on G4 being interviewed, and they were asked why they didn't have a permanent flashlight in Doom 3. One of the guys gave some bullshit response that they wanted the game to be scarier, but John piped up and said it was actually because of technical limitations and that current graphics cards simply couldn't handle the load. John is a great programmer and his honesty is a breath of fresh air in this world of spin, bullshit and hype.

Lukkas said:

condemned, pgr3, call of duty and kameo dance in your face. thats also about 20% of the 360s line up making ur post doubly inaccurate.

ManaByte

Gold Member
People saying "Doom 4" don't know what they're talking about. The project Carmack is working on is a new IP.

Lukkas

Banned
RidgeCityFM said:
condemned, pgr3, call of duty and kameo dance in your face. thats also about 20% of the 360s line up making ur post doubly inaccurate.

Condemned doesnt look as good as F.E.A.R - a PC title. Call of Duty 2 is also on PC and looks better despite yes, not a constant 60 FPS. But that doesnt change the fact that it looks better.

And here are some shots for you of 2 PC games from the year 2004, thats right 2 years ago, that look better than everything I have played on 360.

Far Cry - Came out in March 04

FarCry2006-01-2315-33-36-81.jpg

FarCry2006-01-2315-34-03-40.jpg

FarCry2006-01-2315-39-34-17.jpg

Half Life 2 - End of 04

hl22006-01-2317-08-30-70.jpg

hl22006-01-2317-09-05-39.jpg

hl22006-01-2317-12-26-26.jpg

hl22006-01-2317-13-08-82.jpg

hl22006-01-2317-13-20-73.jpg

Cpl_Cain

Banned
Doom_Bringer said:
old quote from 2005

When in 2005? I mean we're barely into 2006. If final kits have shipped, then developers should have had stable beta development kits in their hands for several months now.

SnakeXs

Dr_Cogent said:

I also want to say I admire John Carmack because he's honest. He won't spin or give you a bullshit answer. He will tell you the truth. They had the 4 owners of id software on G4 being interviewed, and they were asked why they didn't have a permanent flashlight in Doom 3. One of the guys gave some bullshit response that they wanted the game to be scarier, but John piped up and said it was actually because of technical limitations and that current graphics cards simply couldn't handle the load. John is a great programmer and his honesty is a breath of fresh air in this world of spin, bullshit and hype.

Gotta agree on that.

Doesn't mean I care any more for his (recent) work, or his whining (I want a 10Ghz CPU waaah, multi core is poo poo).

phonte

Banned
jedimike said:
The first step in damage control is always to discredit the source - so I'm glad you guys nailed that. Unlike Japan, the US has very few gaming icons... Carmack is one of the few. To say he is irrelevant, is kind of... irrelevant.

damage control?

of late, what has carmack done that makes his opinion relevant?

like i said, i'm not taking anything away from what's accomplished in the past, but his stature isn't such -- in THIS industry -- that his word has any real weight.

kojima? miyamoto? sakaguchi?

yeah.

carmack? pfft.

ManaByte said:
People saying "Doom 4" don't know what they're talking about. The project Carmack is working on is a new IP.

Wrong! Its wolfenstine
Cpl_Cain said:
When in 2005? I mean we're barely into 2006. If final kits have shipped, then developers should have had stable beta development kits in their hands for several months now.

I think it was late summer or early fall when they issued that statement.

Ikaris

Oh t3h noes !

Ye great olde sage Carmack has spoken !

All zombies with wallets on their way to Walmart, heed His words !

Dr_Cogent

Banned
SnakeXs said:
Gotta agree on that.

Doesn't mean I care any more for his (recent) work, or his whining (I want a 10Ghz CPU waaah, multi core is poo poo).

I honestly don't remember Carmack complaining about multi-core. Does anyone have any links?

There are obviously physical limitations to clockspeed. John couldn't have expected them to continually climb indefinitely (at least if he understands the paradigms behind current CPU tech). Parallelism is the future.

SnakeXs

Lukkas, stop it, you're getting nowhere.

For one, you're comparing the best of... PC shots, which only super high end rigs can run, and discounting frame rate.

And, second, GRAW says hi. Gears of War says ciao. Oblivion says hola (on those [bad] landscape shots).

Just stop, you're getting nowhere.

Cpl_Cain

Banned
To be honest, HL2 is really starting to show it's age already. The HDR doesn't really do much to help it either. Plus I mean pretty much all of the next-gen console games are using HDR. So I guess I really just don't see the point of posting all those shots. They really don't look as good as you're making out.

Cpl_Cain

Banned
Doom_Bringer said:
He said it a long time ago. I tried to find the interview but couldn't :(

That mag must be seriously behind on their stories then. :lol Why are they just now publishing this?

Cpl_Cain said:
That mag must be seriously behind on their stories then. :lol Why are they just now publishing this?

I was talking about that fact that he prefers a powerful one core only cpu instead of a multi core cpu. And it wasn't a mag, I read it online.

arhra

They did the Jaguar port of Doom themselves, iirc, for some reason. Not that that's particularly relevant... :lol

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Lukkas said:
Condemned doesnt look as good as F.E.A.R - a PC title. Call of Duty 2 is also on PC and looks better despite yes, not a constant 60 FPS. But that doesnt change the fact that it looks better.

And here are some shots for you of 2 PC games from the year 2004, thats right 2 years ago, that look better than everything I have played on 360.

Far Cry - Came out in March 04

FarCry2006-01-2315-33-36-81.jpg

FarCry2006-01-2315-34-03-40.jpg

FarCry2006-01-2315-39-34-17.jpg

Half Life 2 - End of 04

hl22006-01-2317-08-30-70.jpg

hl22006-01-2317-09-05-39.jpg

hl22006-01-2317-12-26-26.jpg

hl22006-01-2317-13-08-82.jpg

hl22006-01-2317-13-20-73.jpg

I'm honestly not sure why I'm humoring you, but if you think Far Cry is graphically surperior to 360 titles like Kameo, you seriously need an upgrade in your eyewear. Oh, and those HL2 screenshots you're so quick to post are from the Lost Cost demo and HDR add-on that was released in late 2005 and certainly not 2004. HL2 wasn't even all that graphically astounding when it was initially released, it's just that it happened to center around some of the greatest FPS gameplay ever seen.

Top Bottom