• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Carmack - 360 to be primary development platform

Cpl_Cain

Banned
Doom_Bringer said:
I was talking about that fact that he prefers a powerful one core only cpu instead of a multi core cpu. And it wasn't a mag, I read it online.

Oh, I was talking about the fact that he said PS3's development environment wasn't mature enough to be doing serious work on. This doesn't jive with the fact that final development kits have shipped.

SnakeXs said:
hl22006-01-2317-09-05-39.jpg

sh3_0921_6.jpg

You called?

Lukkas made me do it.

Damn, that old man seems to stand up to everything! :lol

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
phonte said:
damage control?

of late, what has carmack done that makes his opinion relevant?

The Doom 3 engine and the way it handled shadowing and lighting. I'm sure his next engine will do something equally impressive.

Jim

arhra said:
They did the Jaguar port of Doom themselves, iirc, for some reason. Not that that's particularly relevant... :lol

So the last (and only?) console game id actually developed themselves was Doom for the Jaguar, in 1994?

Cpl_Cain said:
Oh, I was talking about the fact that he said PS3's development environment wasn't mature enough to be doing serious work on. This doesn't jive with the fact that final development kits have shipped.

The final development kits haven't been shipped yet. The current kits have the 3.2 clocked Cell but lack final RSX and the bandwidth.

phonte

Banned
Willy Wanka said:
The Doom 3 engine and the way it handled shadowing and lighting. I'm sure his next engine will do something equally impressive.

in this industry, on these consoles, what has carmack done to convince certain members here of inferences that don't exist?

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Jim said:
So the last (and only?) console game id actually developed themselves was Doom for the Jaguar, in 1994?

It's kind of an unfair gray area. It was said from the beginning that the Doom 3 engine was made with the XBox in mind, and there's even hints in the initial configuration files for the PC game that point to this. Carmack's support for the 360 is pretty significant. Even if id hasn't churned out a really great game in awhile, the technology Carmack himself makes can be of great importance to consoles. I'd say the Doom 3 engine was overall something of a letdown, but bare in mind this guy gave us Quake 3 engine, and no doubt has another great engine in him.

With X360 as a the focus development and a closed system, that likely means they can really know their limits and strenghts better. Instead of having to make something that supports so many different lower common denominators as set-ups they can push X360 as hard as they can and work from there right?

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Willy Wanka said:

Having played Doom3 in its entirety on a high-end PC, I would say that iD certainly knows game engines and how to make them run liquid smooth. Having said that, I would say that having Carmack digging into the X360 and pulling out as much power as he can and putting that power into a game engine could be a great benefit to the future of FPS's on the X360. I see this news as encouraging.

ManaByte said:
No, you're wrong. Wolfenstein is being developed externally. Carmack's game is a new IP (and not for Revolution).

Id and Ravensoftware are making Wolfenstein. They even showed some artwork and early cut scenes at X05. I have the friggin video on my hard drive!! Carmack is working only working on two games at the moment: Quake Wars and Wolfenstein!

Jerkface

Banned
phonte said:
what has he done to make his opinion of the 360 one of import?

Carmack is a programming genius, if he says something is good at doing something then it sure as hell is going to be. All that bullshit about Kutaragi being visionary enough to see the future was polygons would have been for nothing without Carmack's pioneering techniques and raw abilities. Without his engines we wouldn't HAVE a Half-Life series.

If he can do all that with the moving goalposts that the PC industry has then imagine what he could do with a fixed architecture that he can explore and exploit at will.

jett

D-Member
Didn't he say the same thing last year? :p Carmack's decision is meaningless anyway(to me, at least). When has he ever developed for a console?

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Jerkface said:
Carmack is a programming genius, if he says something is good at doing something then it sure as hell is going to be. All that bullshit about Kutaragi being visionary enough to see the future was polygons would have been for nothing without Carmack's pioneering techniques and raw abilities. Without his engines we wouldn't HAVE a Half-Life series.

If he can do all that with the moving goalposts that the PC industry has then imagine what he could do with a fixed architecture that he can explore and exploit at will.

Who is denying or downplaying his impact? Only a fool would do that.

That said, he hasn't done anything earthshattering recently. Mass hysteria of iD titles died down, D3 engine was (compared to Q3) a flop, and as a game developer he hasn't blown anybody away in a while.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
DenogginizerOS said:
Having played Doom3 in its entirety on a high-end PC, I would say that iD certainly knows game engines and how to make them run liquid smooth. Having said that, I would say that having Carmack digging into the X360 and pulling out as much power as he can and putting that power into a game engine could be a great benefit to the future of FPS's on the X360. I see this news as encouraging.

I think it's encouraging too and I look forward to seeing the fruits of his labours.

Lukkas

Banned
SnakeXs said:
Lukkas, stop it, you're getting nowhere.

For one, you're comparing the best of... PC shots, which only super high end rigs can run, and discounting frame rate.

And, second, GRAW says hi. Gears of War says ciao. Oblivion says hola (on those [bad] landscape shots).

Just stop, you're getting nowhere.

You just named 3 games that will also be on PC and superior on PC.

Super high end rig huh ? The PC I took those shots on cost me exactly 1,130 dollars. How much do you have to pay for a decent HDTV again just to even be able to tell if youre playing your Xbox 1 or 360 ?

IJoel

Lukkas said:

Super high end rig huh ? The PC I took those shots on cost me exactly 1,130 dollars. How much do you have to pay for a decent HDTV again just to even be able to tell if youre playing your Xbox 1 or 360 ?

A $40 VGA cable?

Gattsu25

Banned
phonte said:
damage control?

of late, what has carmack done that makes his opinion relevant?

like i said, i'm not taking anything away from what's accomplished in the past, but his stature isn't such -- in THIS industry -- that his word has any real weight.

kojima? miyamoto? sakaguchi?

yeah.

carmack? pfft.
ok...now I'm just going to ask a question here...what have these 2 delivered in the past couple of years? One of them is just a figurehead (who detaches himself from underperforming projects) and the other...well...honestly...who the hell is the other guy and what has he done lately?

phonte said:
like i said, i'm not taking anything away from what's accomplished in the past, but his stature isn't such -- in THIS industry -- that his word has any real weight.
No offense but you're a total genius. Carmack's word doesn't hold weight? What are you? Some sort of Eastern fantasizer? Western devs are still important regardless of what you feel about them...in fact, I'd say they have rising in importance steadily since the start of last gen. Carmack is still one of the top tech devs and his open and unbias opinions DO hold weight. Maybe not to a bunch of obese message board hogging oticunts, but such is life.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Lukkas said:

Considerably less than $1,130.

Cpl_Cain

Banned
Doom_Bringer said:
The final development kits haven't been shipped yet. The current kits have the 3.2 clocked Cell but lack final RSX and the bandwidth.

Oh ok. I was confused because PSM said the final kits had shipped.

Wakune said:
oand the other...well...honestly...who the hell is the other guy and what has he done lately?

The guy responsible for one of hte biggest box office flops of all time. He also created FF but hasn't actually directed a game in the series in over 10 years.

jedimike

Cpl_Cain said:

I think he was talking more about the development tools, not so much the hardware.

phonte

Banned
Jerkface said:

umm, again, carmack has absolutely no experience with either the 360 or the ps3. it's all conjecutre, at this point, so why should his opinion carry more weight than any other developer?

what he's done in the past, on pcs, matters little when it comes to what he wants to do on the 360/ps3.

carmack's opinion is a minority one, and it's apparent, from past interviews, that it's more the result of being leery of tackling the ps3 than it is thinking the 360 is a more capable system.

Lukkas

Banned
HomerSimpson-Man said:
Never!!! 1999 tech at 300 Mhz and 38 MB total of ram for that level. What do I have to have to get your's?!!

You have to download a 1 gig high res pack and have 2 gigs of ram to run it without stutter :lol

Jerkface

Banned
phonte said:
umm, again, carmack has absolutely no experience with either the 360 or the ps3. it's all conjecutre, at this point, so why should his opinion carry more weight than another other developer?

what he's done in the past, on pcs, matters little when it comes to what he wants to do on the 360/ps3.

carmack's opinion is a minority one, and it's apparent, from past interviews, that it's more the result of being leery of tackling the ps3 than it is thinking the 360 is a more capable system.

seems rather cowardly of him.

:lol

Oh boy!

Lukkas

Banned
TigerKnee said:
Hot damn I had look real close to see if that was real or CG. What is this from?

This is from the FakeFactory Half Life 2 High Res pack that came out not too long ago.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Lukkas said:
Call of Duty 2 is also on PC and looks better despite yes, not a constant 60 FPS. But that doesnt change the fact that it looks better.

As someone who has played both versions fairly extensively, you're out of your fucking mind.

Lukkas

Banned
MattKeil said:
As someone who has played both versions fairly extensively, you're out of your fucking mind.

How ? Just looking fact wise at the differences PC version has over 360 version.

higher resolution
up to 8x AA if you wish (360 limited to 2x)
up to 16xAF (360 using NO AF at all)
All the texture settings and normal map settings can be set to "extra" (360 limited to high)

Thats all I can think off at the top of my head. Either way the game looks like shit compared to other FPS titles.

phonte

Banned
Lukkas said:
How ? Just looking fact wise at the differences PC version has over 360 version.

higher resolution
All the texture settings and normal map settings can be set to "extra" (360 limited to high)

Thats all I can think off at the top of my head. Either way the game looks like shit compared to other FPS titles.

come on, that's being a bit unfair.

while i'll admit that cod2 isn't really that impressive, if you've been able to enjoy a first person shooter on the pc in the past couple of years (hl2, bf2, fear, etc.), it certainly doesn't look like shit compared to them.

it just looks like pretty much every other 360 title -- a minor leap from present gen gfx.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Lukkas said:

higher resolution

1) You even said the framerate's different, and with those settings it'd be drastic.
2) You're still wrong.
3) Keep trying, please, it's really funny.
4) Let's make a deal. When those 3 titles come out, let's each make movies of each game. The catch? You gotta display your FPS. Console FPS will be well documented. So, we'll see how, in real time, each version looks and runs. You up to it? We'll see how your $1130 hardware fairs.

Top Bottom