• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Carmack: Doom 4 will launch on 3DVDs/1 Blu Ray

Sho_Nuff82

Member
Jan 2, 2007
39,630
1
0
So Doom 4 is confirmed for PS3/360/PC, and unlike Rage the game is completely linear, so Carmack isn't against breaking it up into smaller pieces. Small aside in the newest Game Informer piece on RAGE.
 

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Feb 14, 2009
56,093
0
800
Sho_Nuff82 said:
So Doom 4 is confirmed for PS3/360/PC, and unlike Rage the game is completely linear, so Carmack isn't against breaking it up into smaller pieces. Small aside in the newest Game Informer piece on RAGE.

Not surprised. But didn't they reign in Rage's file sizes/map sizes due to the 360/royalty rates? (They didn't want to go above 3 since MS would charge them extra, or something like that) So, yeah, not surprised at the 3 DVD's, but I'll probably get it on blu-ray if iD wows me with the PS3 work they're doing on Rage.
 

Gravijah

Member
Dec 7, 2008
39,071
1
765
Florida
Switching discs needs to happen at really cool moments in the story, and I want awesome art to look at like FF8 and such had. <333
 

Gattsu25

Banned
Jun 6, 2004
33,439
2
0
USA
blog.gattsu25.com
It's not that it's linear, it's just that the narrative in Rage is tailored in such a way that it could be split into two parts easily (spoiler from GameInformer article:
"two wastelands"
), but to split it into 3 discs would break the flow of the game.

This is not a problem with Doom as it can be more easily split into three discs.
 

BobTheFork

Member
Feb 14, 2005
25,070
0
0
41
Denver
TheSeks said:
Not surprised. But didn't they reign in Rage's file sizes/map sizes due to the 360/royalty rates? (They didn't want to go above 3 since MS would charge them extra, or something like that) So, yeah, not surprised at the 3 DVD's, but I'll probably get it on blu-ray if iD wows me with the PS3 work they're doing on Rage.
I suppose I should know this, but RAGE is going to ps3? I didn't think it was currently.
 

infinityBCRT

Member
Jun 2, 2008
8,304
0
815
TheSeks said:
Not surprised. But didn't they reign in Rage's file sizes/map sizes due to the 360/royalty rates? (They didn't want to go above 3 since MS would charge them extra, or something like that) So, yeah, not surprised at the 3 DVD's, but I'll probably get it on blu-ray if iD wows me with the PS3 work they're doing on Rage.
I think they shrunk the Wastelands in Rage because they thought it was too big and a bonus was that it made it fit on 2 DVDs. At least thats how they spun it.

I hope for Rage and Doom 4 they have an option to export data to the HDD (like Rock Band 1 -> Rock Band 2) so that you won't have to disc swap at all (if you install to HDD using the dashboard you still need to put the disc in the drive).
 

lupinko

Member
Jul 26, 2007
19,530
2
0
Band on the Run
www.twitter.com
TheSeks said:
Not surprised. But didn't they reign in Rage's file sizes/map sizes due to the 360/royalty rates? (They didn't want to go above 3 since MS would charge them extra, or something like that) So, yeah, not surprised at the 3 DVD's, but I'll probably get it on blu-ray if iD wows me with the PS3 work they're doing on Rage.

Rage is only 2 DVDs for 360.
 

Gravijah

Member
Dec 7, 2008
39,071
1
765
Florida
BobTheFork said:
I suppose I should know this, but RAGE is going to ps3? I didn't think it was currently.

Most definitely on the PS3. Carmack has talked about it a few times, PS3 needing a bit more manpower, etc.
 

gafster1

Neo Member
Jan 28, 2009
133
0
0
TheSeks said:
Not surprised. But didn't they reign in Rage's file sizes/map sizes due to the 360/royalty rates? (They didn't want to go above 3 since MS would charge them extra, or something like that)

I've seen nothing reported suggesting this. MS, nor has anyone (to my knowledge) been made privy to ID/MSFT's per-disc license fees or any such details.
 

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Feb 14, 2009
56,093
0
800
BobTheFork said:
I suppose I should know this, but RAGE is going to ps3? I didn't think it was currently.

You must've been living under a rock. Rage was announced for PS3 along with 360/PC day-one.

Even 1Up has a page for it along with numerous other websites.
 

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Feb 14, 2009
56,093
0
800
gafster1 said:
I've seen nothing reported suggesting this. MS, nor has anyone (to my knowledge) been made privy to ID/MSFT's per-disc license fees or any such details.

Oh, hi. I'm being held back by the 360. Edit: But yeah, that article says it's due to size limitations. Rumors circulate about the license fees. Who knows.

Gattsu25 said:

I forgot about the Mac. iD announced the Rage engine (iD tech 5... ugh. I'm still using the game name engine, screw you iD and your "tech") at WWDC 07 (IIRC, while Leopard was being shown).
 

Visualante

Member
Mar 3, 2007
13,193
0
0
Would love to know the ball park on PC specs. I'm guessing a quad core will be recommended.

Steam's servers are going to love this game. They're going to have to offer a pre-load if it's more than 20gb.
 

Awntawn

Member
Apr 11, 2007
3,563
0
870
35
San Diego, CA
www.moon-speak.net
Gravijah said:
Most definitely on the PS3. Carmack has talked about it a few times, PS3 needing a bit more manpower, etc.
Wonder what he means when he says the PS3 is more difficult to work with, but gives them more headroom. Hopefully "more headroom" isn't technical lingo for "less AA and lower resolution textures" like it does for a lot of multiplatform devs ;/
 

Pctx

Banned
Apr 4, 2009
6,294
0
0
markot said:
>_<

Do they even try to compress stuff >.>?
5th post? Come on GAF.
Not surprised one bit. BR reader drives on the PC/Mac's will be cheap so no worries.

Also for those interested in the RAGE hype thread.... here
 

xbhaskarx

Member
Aug 13, 2007
32,779
0
0
oi39.tinypic.com
Aside from downloading Burnout Paradise I buy pretty much all of my multiplatform games on 360. If it is indeed the case that Doom 4 will be on 3 DVDs, I will go with the PS3 version.
Also, if this becomes increasingly common as this generation goes on, Microsoft better start selling bigger hard drives and offering downloadable versions of those games right at launch.
 

BobTheFork

Member
Feb 14, 2005
25,070
0
0
41
Denver
WHOA! Ok, I'm out of the loop. I saw it announced for pc/360 and have generally ignored it because I didn't think I would get to play it.
 
Apr 18, 2007
13,745
1,659
1,565
Visualante said:
Steam's servers are going to love this game. They're going to have to offer a pre-load if it's more than 20gb.

yeah, its going to be something to see a huge dl like that
 

Grayman

Member
Feb 7, 2005
15,125
1
0
36
Surrey, BC
Awntawn said:
Wonder what he means when he says the PS3 is more difficult to work with, but gives them more headroom. Hopefully "more headroom" isn't technical lingo for "less AA and lower resolution textures" like it does for a lot of multiplatform devs ;/
id tech5 uses textures in a way that there will not be lower res textures on any system.
 
Feb 15, 2006
10,024
20
0
Carmack: Doom 4 will launch on 3DVDs/1 Blu Ray...

..in 2015-eeeeeeeeeeeen

 

~Kinggi~

Banned
Oct 22, 2006
23,454
1
0
If the ps3 versions of rage and doom 4 are on par or better than the 360 ones, than ill actually get it for that system. But if there are some graphical effects or better framerates ill suffer the disc swapping as long as it only happens once.

Same goes for FF 13
 

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Sep 10, 2007
18,377
1
0
Dark FaZe said:
So is this expected to eclipse Crysis graphically?
PC version won't be held down by console versions so I think it will.
 

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Jun 22, 2004
7,762
541
1,770
Boombloxer said:
And in before "No compressi--"
It's closer to the truth then most people care to realize though.

What most games do with reuse of assets is just another form of compression.
IDs "virtual-texture-unique-data for whole world" approach abandons that kind of compression, which is why data-size balloons.
Like with everything, there's a trade-off - this particular one makes for a great advertising case for BluRay though.
 
Oct 21, 2005
491
0
0
I hope Doom 4 has a soundtrack like I and II had. That music was super awesome. It would be nice if the gameplay returned to the form of I and II as well...
 

~Kinggi~

Banned
Oct 22, 2006
23,454
1
0
charlesthefirst said:
I hope Doom 4 has a soundtrack like I and II had. That music was super awesome. It would be nice if the gameplay returned to the form of I and II as well...
I want it to have music like from the psx version of doom. That stuff was disturbingly awesome. Some of the best ambient tracks ive ever heard in a game.
 

Sciz

Member
Oct 9, 2007
11,041
0
920
NullPointer said:
So, whats that? A 20Gig full install on the 360?

I didn't know shadows took that much space.
It's been five years and RAGE is a complete 180 from DOOM 3's design.

The joke is old.

Please stop making it.
 

Gattsu25

Banned
Jun 6, 2004
33,439
2
0
USA
blog.gattsu25.com
MightyHedgehog said:
Come on, man. What possible console influence could negatively affect Doom? I mean, it's a very simple concept and very simple game to play. That's what Doom is.
I'm going to be as honest as possible here: I had a brain fart and thought he was talking about Rage. My bad.
~Kinggi~ said:
charlesthefirst said:
I hope Doom 4 has a soundtrack like I and II had. That music was super awesome. It would be nice if the gameplay returned to the form of I and II as well...
I want it to have music like from the psx version of doom. That stuff was disturbingly awesome. Some of the best ambient tracks ive ever heard in a game.
I'll settle for both styles in the same soundtrack. With a little bit of Quake 1 and 2 thrown in.
 

Grayman

Member
Feb 7, 2005
15,125
1
0
36
Surrey, BC
charlesthefirst said:
I hope Doom 4 has a soundtrack like I and II had. That music was super awesome. It would be nice if the gameplay returned to the form of I and II as well...
The music was mostly sound alikes I think, not a big metal fan so I don't know for sure.

The gameplay is supposed to be similar to the first games.
 

NullPointer

Member
May 4, 2006
44,302
3
0
San Francisco
Fafalada said:
Like with everything, there's a trade-off - this particular one makes for a great advertising case for BluRay though.

Isn't Bluray's disk read speed still an issue though? And doesn't that cause the need for mandatory PS3 installs?

Are we still looking at a sizable install even on the PS3?
 

ChaoticBlue

Member
Aug 21, 2007
633
4
985
NullPointer said:
Isn't Bluray's disk read speed still an issue though? And doesn't that cause the need for mandatory PS3 installs?

Are we still looking at a sizable install even on the PS3?

how come uncharted and killzone2 doesn't have mandatory install?