• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Carmack: Doom 4 will launch on 3DVDs/1 Blu Ray

DrPirate

Banned
NullPointer said:
I admit I'm not up to date on all the reasons for PS3 installs or why some games do or don't need them. But with all that unique data, who knows?

The maximum as mandated by the TRC is 5 gigabytes.

This is a fact.

Zeliard

EmCeeGramr said:
I don't think Doom 3 is that bad either. The flashlight thing is dumb, and the game really gets boring in the final parts, but it's a good, if not "Doom good", shooter.

Doom 3 is certainly much better than most of the shooters we've been saddled with this gen.

Chiggs said:
I think Doom 3 and Resurrection of Evil are really good shooters. In fact, I'm going through them now on some sort of id binge.

It'd be a damn good time for Doom 3 to be available on Xbox classics as a download title.

I'd dip in again if the game played correctly.

DrPirate said:
The maximum as mandated by the TRC is 5 gigabytes.

This is a fact.

Facts have changed quite a bit this gen. Not that I have any reason to assume a mandatory install. Just saying it wouldn't surprise me.

Blizzard

Banned
BobTheFork said:
OK, so I'm just starting to check the game out now and it looks great. I can't wait to see how it turns out on ps3. I didn't even know I was missing out on this : ) I need to keep up. Now if I just knew where the creepy, voo-doo doll avatars came from.
The funny thing is I felt the exact same way about sackboys. :lol DEVIL DOLLS

DrPirate

Banned
NullPointer said:
It'd be a damn good time for Doom 3 to be available on Xbox classics as a download title.

I'd dip in again if the game played correctly.

Facts have changed quite a bit this gen. Not that I have any reason to assume a mandatory install. Just saying it wouldn't surprise me.

Indeed good sir.

I can't say at all whether the install will be mandatory or not. It's not for me to say. I'm just letting you know that the maximum amount of storage by any game is 5 gigabytes on the PS3 hard drive.

Chiggs said:
I think Doom 3 and Resurrection of Evil are really good shooters. In fact, I'm going through them now on some sort of id binge.

Aside from the cheesy bosses, I think Resurrection of Evil was a better, more rounded game than Doom 3. The pace was faster, the combat scenarios a bit less predictable, it had the obligatory gravity gun. RoE was a nice expansion pack from Nerve.

If you mind switching disks you're a lazy fuck.

So long as the disks are properly storable there's no reason to complain.

RE4 Gamecube (2 disks) >>>>>> RE4 PS2 (1 disk)

Zen

Banned
permutated said:

I see what you did there, very sly :lol

GreekWolf

I'm not sure how switching discs could actually be a factor in choosing a particular version of a game? If you're obese to the level of physical impairment, then that's certainly a plausible argument but, then again, your time could probably be better served elsewhere than sitting in front of the television.

Perhaps it's just me, but I tend to place a much greater emphasis on resolution, AA and frame-rate differences as deciding factors on my multiplats.

If id pulls a Terminal Reality (which is highly doubtful) on either platform, then the decision will be easy. Otherwise, I'll judge with my eyes.

Gomu Gomu

Eventually I'll play the superiour console version. Doesn't matter if it's a single BD, or 3 DVDs. Because I know my PC will never ever ever handle the ultimate version :(.

Fakto

When are they gonna consider release "big games" like this one in Blue Ray for PC ? A bunch of people already have the hardware.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Awntawn said:
Wonder what he means when he says the PS3 is more difficult to work with, but gives them more headroom. Hopefully "more headroom" isn't technical lingo for "less AA and lower resolution textures" like it does for a lot of multiplatform devs ;/

The fancy-pants megatexture stuff (perhaps should be renamed to gigatexture?) supposedly works in such a way that the memory footprint for textures works out lower than the approaches they used before. I think I recall a figure of 30MB being thrown about for texture memory footprint, though that may have been in relation to enemy territory which was a first generation approach to megatexture. If the principle holds true though, video memory related issues shouldn't crop up, hopefully.

Jon Olick (formerly ND) appeared to do some good work for iD on the Cell side of the PS3 version of the rage engine so I'd be hopeful there won't be a 'shoddy port' pall cast over this as long as Carmack & co. have taken good care of the 'GPU side'.

If I get these games, which platform I choose will probably depend a lot on my PC at the time.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Fakto said:
When are they gonna consider release "big games" like this one in Blue Ray for PC ? A bunch of people already have the hardware.
I'd rather they didn't.

Smaller files are easier to get from DD services. When I realised that the remake of the original Monkey Island's file-size was well over 10x bigger than Tales of Monkey Island, I almost cried.

JMC

Banned
TheHeretic said:
Whats the point? You just install the game anyway.

If everybody thought like this we'd still be using CDs for installations.

Edit: Sooner or later we'll see games released on BD. Hardware uptake needs to increase before it'll become the norm. I suppose there's also the manufacturing costs of several DVDs versus a single BD to consider.

_tetsuo_ said:
Summon Reznor. He has work to do.
THIS! He is taking a break from touring/nineinchnails for now. They better be all over him for Doom!
permutated said:

I... wow. So you are comparing the BEST gamecube title with a lackluster port? Awesome!

Next time, remind me to compare MGS for PSOne and MGS for GC...

Fakto

TheHeretic said:
Whats the point? You just install the game anyway.

For a person that "installed" games from a 3½ floppy this statement makes no sense.
Even if it's just practical for costumers, companies should be all over the Blue-rays for his low piracy rate.

Haunted

Dark FaZe said:
So is this expected to eclipse Crysis graphically?
If anyone's got a shot, it's id Tech 5.

I don't see anyone else coming close in the near future, although Crytek seems to have slowed down in their engine development due to the consoles, so who knows whether they'll still be king in a couple years.

bj00rn_

Banned
Fakto said:
For a person that "installed" games from a 3½ floppy this statement makes no sense.
Even if it's just practical for costumers, companies should be all over the Blue-rays for his low piracy rate.

WAT??

Vorador

Banned
Fakto said:

It isn't necessary. On PC, you can just install all the data on the HDD and be done with it, there's no limit on the amount of DVDs and the size of the installation. If i remember well X-Plane (a flight sim) had like 7 DVDs DL and required 70 Gb of hard disk.

EDIT: Plus the Blu-ray adoption on PC is still fairly low, so there's no need to limit your own market.

acm2000

well doom 3 was crap, but i will keep an eye on this anyway, they havent shown anything of RAGE thats worth getting excited for, same goes for this

permutated said:

Except for the PS2 exclusive extras and expansions that are worth getting it for.

hteng said:
dead space was much better than doom 3

That's what I've been thinking these days.

Fakto said:

Low? The PS3's piracy rate is 0%, which is unheard of since the cartridge era, and even then there were pirated cartridges. The funny thing is that nobody ever gives credit for that.

Wollan

Sho_Nuff82 said:
So Doom 4 is confirmed for PS3/360/PC, and unlike Rage the game is completely linear, so Carmack isn't against breaking it up into smaller pieces.
Didn't they end up breaking Rage into sections due to the X360 version? There was a big hoopla here on GAF I remember vaguely.

Vorador

Banned
Wollan said:
Didn't they end up breaking Rage into sections due to the X360 version? There was a big hoopla here on GAF I remember vaguely.

No, if i remember well they had to downgrade the textures on the 360 version to make it fit into one disc.

Truant

Something tells me the 360 version will look better, so I can handle some disk swapping.

Vorador said:
No, if i remember well they had to downgrade the textures on the 360 version to make it fit into one disc.

No, this was denied by Carmack. He said they divided the game across two disks instead, which he meant made the game flow better as a whole, because they had to re-design the entire world map. The last part is probably just marketing speak, but there are no downgraded textures or whatever.

Fakto

Philanthropist said:
Low? The PS3's piracy rate is 0%, which is unheard of since the cartridge era, and even then there were pirated cartridges. The funny thing is that nobody ever gives credit for that.
Yeah, but I didn't put 0% because it's too "definitive", maybe there are ISOs of Blue-Ray movies already, I don't know.
It surprises how EA is putting so much effort in new [and friking annoying] ways to stop piracy but didn't aproach it with a Blue Ray version.

Septimus

Fakto said:
Yeah, but I didn't put 0% because it's too "definitive", maybe there are ISOs of Blue-Ray movies already, I don't know.
It surprises how EA is putting so much effort in new [and friking annoying] ways to stop piracy but didn't aproach it with a Blue Ray version.
Of course there are pirated versions of BluRay movies. Anything that's playable on a PC will be pirated no matter what. We're talking about games here, though. And you cannot pirate PS3 games.

JMC

Banned
Septimus said:
Of course there are pirated versions of BluRay movies. Anything that's playable on a PC will be pirated no matter what. We're talking about games here, though. And you cannot pirate PS3 games.

Of course you can. You just can't do anything with them. ;)

Draft

KHarvey16 said:
It'll be years before PC games on Bluray are anything but a huge waste of money for a publisher.
DD will be completely dominant on the platform before Blu Ray even has a chance to maybe become mainstream.

KHarvey16 said:
It'll be years before PC games on Bluray are anything but a huge waste of money for a publisher.
Pretty much. There's practically no market for it (and it's looking likely there may never be a substantial one), apart from some Blu-ray drive manufacturer paying for a special edition of a game to be packed in with the new drives, anyway. PC is rapidly heading toward DD as the most secure, more economical means of distribution. It helps that DD is gaining in popularity and common use faster than Blu-ray drive adoption could ever hope to see.

-viper-

Banned
MightyHedgehog said:
Pretty much. There's practically no market for it (and it's looking likely there may never be a substantial one), apart from some Blu-ray drive manufacturer paying for a special edition of a game to be packed in with the new drives, anyway. PC is rapidly heading toward DD as the most secure, more economical means of distribution. It helps that DD is gaining in popularity and common use faster than Blu-ray drive adoption could ever hope to see.
yeah right. DD sucks. Cheaper prices and physical copies allowing you to sell > downloaded stuff.

KHarvey16

-viper- said:
yeah right. DD sucks. Cheaper prices and physical copies allowing you to sell > downloaded stuff.

It's coming so you're really gonna have to get used to it. Publishers and most of their audience like it a lot.

Fakto said:

The difference between a floppy and a CD was absurd, and games were shipping on dozens of floppys to install. Games today are still shipping on one DVD: most games, mind you. Having a select few games requiring multiple DVD's is an idiotic reason to start chanting we should be making the move to Blu-Ray drives on our PC's.

Visualante said:
Would love to know the ball park on PC specs. I'm guessing a quad core will be recommended.

Steam's servers are going to love this game. They're going to have to offer a pre-load if it's more than 20gb.

I'm not at home but I think the last Total War game was a 15GB download. If not then all I remember is that it was something insane. It doesn't matter to me though, I have a 20/5 Mbps D/U FiOS connection.

Busty

Banned
People, people. Can't we all just get along?

Surely the solution to all this bickering is to play this game over OnLive?

Truant said:
Something tells me the 360 version will look better, so I can handle some disk swapping.

That's the spirit champ.

Good for you.

Top Bottom