• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Carmack: Doom 4 will launch on 3DVDs/1 Blu Ray

expy

Banned
proposition said:
One game that uses a proprietary system for texturing now constitutes the entirety of Games Developers?

All that you can really take from this is that Carmack would have liked to have not had the constraint on the game that the DVD drive of the 360 puts on him. One game. Not every game.

Didn't Houser come out and say that Microsoft would need to find a solution to its storage problem if it hopes to have the next GTA title on their platform?

Ardorx

Banned
proposition said:
If Carmack says he would rather have not had the inconvenience, then it is not a 'good limit'.

And that's fine for Carmack. He was talking about open world games as a whole. I would then argue that if you expand the limits too much you're going to see poor optimization and even worse a janky gameplay experience across open world games.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I hope this game has some amazingly unique textures cause 3 DVDs is kinda a lot for an fps. Is this game using Carmack's Megatexture btw?

JMC

Banned
Kaako said:
I hope this game has some amazingly unique textures cause 3 DVDs is kinda a lot for an fps. Is this game using Carmack's Megatexture btw?

MegaTexture is a key feature of id Tech 5, so yes.

expy said:
Didn't Houser come out and say that Microsoft would need to find a solution to its storage problem if it hopes to have the next GTA title on their platform?

I was under the impression that Houser likes to talk a lot, and that in this industry only Microsoft's moneyhats talk. After all, GTA4's release was prefaced by the biggest circle jerk ever seen.

iratA

All this talk of Doom 4 is swell, its just we haven't even had a hands-on taste of what idTech 5 is capable of. The tech behind it sounds so good and I want Doom 4 more than just about anything .....yet .... arghhh I just need MOAR. Dammit Carmack, crack that whip and show us the goodness already. Those demo videos just aren't enough.

Oh and day 1. PS3 version here.

jett

D-Member
Heh in 2007 Carmack said that the Tech5 devtools would ship with the PC version...I wonder if that's still true.

Hopefully they release a special edition or something on blu-ray for PC, but since it's going on the hard drive it's a minor issue. As usual the PC version wins all around, but with an ID game that shouldn't surprise anyone.

MirageDwarf said:
360 fans are in denial. 360's dvd drive is holding back and will keep holding back open world games on consoles. Accept it.

Developers are stuck with either designing open world game around one disc or make it linear.
I don't think this is an issue for most open world games, I'm not sure how big RAGEs world will be but Bethesda has said they had no issue with getting Oblivion to fit on a DVD9 for 360(the game likely uses repeating elements and whatnot). Its an issue here due to the megatexture technology they are using, from what I understand everything you see in the games environment will be unique and un-repeating(this takes up a lot of space, but can be done without worrying about a performance hit at all), unlike most open world games.

It'll only likely become an issue for console multiplat games if more developers decide to use this type of technology for open-world games (in respects to it limiting the games structure). More DVDs is always an option if the experience is linear (which is what I think they are trying to say about Doom 4 as being easier to split up).

MrJollyLivesNextDoor said:
wasn't there a direct qoute from Carmack earlier in the thread saying both version will be the same but 360's version will have lower res textures in 'out of the way' places?

seems like what you qouted had nothing to do with texture res.

The game looks 'identical' across all platforms, with the exception of some off color settings on PS3. This is the most recent preview build seen by any publication.

I think some of you are going to be sorely disappointed if you hang your hats on this being the multiplat game to finally validate BluRay and Cell, they don't mention any dev problems with the 360 version in this build.

MvmntInGrn said:
I don't think this is an issue for most open world games, I'm not sure how big RAGEs world will be but Bethesda has said they had no issue with getting Oblivion to fit on a DVD9 for 360(the game likely uses repeating elements and whatnot). Its an issue here due to the megatexture technology they are using, from what I understand everything you see in the games environment will be unique and un-repeating(this takes up a lot of space, but can be done without worrying about a performance hit at all), unlike most open world games.

It'll only likely become an issue for console multiplat games if more developers decide to use this type of technology for open-world games (in respects to it limiting the games structure). More DVDs is always an option if the experience is linear (which is what I think they are trying to say about Doom 4 as being easier to split up).

well they said rage is more linear too

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
There's nothing specifically in that blurb that counters what Carmack said earlier about 'you might find a blurrier rock' or whatever.

I dunno what the current state of play is, or if that's how it'll actually end up - what Carmack said at one point in development may not necessarily end up being true by the end - but the GI blurb isn't very telling of any change to what he said before. I doubt they went looking for the level of difference Carmack suggested.

In the end I'm sure they'll all look quite the same overall, but there are insane people who literally examine games on a per-pixel level for differences, and I doubt this game will be any different, whichever way the comparisons fall.

As for this game 'validating' blu-ray or cell..I wouldn't go suggesting that, particularly 'cell' since it's not flavour of the month for Carmack :lol But their GENERAL approach in iD tech 5, an extremely data heavy approach, does 'validate' blu-ray to the extent that it's one of the first very obvious third party approaches to next-gen development that actually uses a lot of data storage. Without specifically talking about any resultant games or how they turn out (since other factors beyond storage could weigh into affect the final result), the general approach does mesh with any solution that offers more data storage, and that Blu-ray does.

Minsc

Gold Member
Sho_Nuff82 said:
The game looks 'identical' across all platforms, with the exception of some off color settings on PS3. This is the most recent preview build seen by any publication.

I think some of you are going to be sorely disappointed if you hang your hats on this being the multiplat game to finally validate BluRay and Cell, they don't mention any dev problems with the 360 version in this build.

Well, the PC version on DVD (or possibly no discs at all) has already been reported to look better than the PS3 blu-ray version; with better AA, more effects, and higher-megaresolution textures, so it hardly validates anything for the PS3 imo.

Minsc said:
Well, the PC version on DVD (or possibly no discs at all) has already been reported to look better than the PS3 blu-ray version; with better AA, more effects, and higher-megaresolution textures, so it hardly validates anything for the PS3 imo.

probably one of the smartest posts in here. I don't understand why blu-ray means a better game

expy

Banned
Minsc said:

Due to processing power and graphics upgradability. Also requires an install of the game, so you aren't really running the game from the DVDs.

KAL2006

Banned
Open world games can cause a problem becaus eof the DVD limit. Luckily that doesnt bother me as I get bored of open world games, I`d rather have a linear (or semi linear) game that takes you straight to the fun parts of the game, than walking around a boring open world looking for something to do. ProtoType, Red Faction, GTA4, Oblivion all got boring after awhile, I never got to finish any of them games.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Minsc said:

Any pc build will have been running off a HDD i.e. for all intents and purposes and practically unlimited data store (that's also, helpfully, a lot faster than a DVD or blu-ray drive).

And when it does ship, don't think any 3 DVD PC version will be the same as a 3 DVD 360 version, data wise. They'll be able to use more space and compress much more aggressively on the PC discs since it'll all get unpacked onto your HDD during install. They won't be able to pack things so tightly on the discs if a game is running off the discs directly.

The PC version should (hopefully - as there's no reason why not) have the best 'data quality' along with the best potential as far as processing, rendering quality, resolution, AA etc. I would not say the 360's 'data quality' will be comparable just because they both ship on the same number of discs. Neither console will compare on the other things (processing, rendering etc.) vs the potential of the PC version, though PS3 might have a shot from a 'data quality' POV, or at least get a bit closer. I'm confident though, that what Carmack says about there not being any big differences will hold true at least as far as the console versions are concerned.

gofreak said:
Any pc build will have been running off a HDD i.e. for all intents and purposes and practically unlimited data store (that's also, helpfully, a lot faster than a DVD or blu-ray drive).

And when it does ship, don't think any 3 DVD PC version will be the same as a 3 DVD 360 version, data wise. They'll be able to use more space and compress much more aggressively on the PC discs since it'll all get unpacked onto your HDD during install. They won't be able to pack things so tightly on the discs if a game is running off the discs directly.

The PC version should (hopefully - as there's no reason why not) have the best 'data quality' along with the best potential as far as processing, rendering quality, resolution, AA etc. I would not say the 360's 'data quality' will be comparable just because they both ship on the same number of discs. Neither console will compare on the other things (processing, rendering etc.) vs the potential of the PC version, though PS3 might have a shot from a 'data quality' POV, or at least get a bit closer. I'm confident though, that what Carmack says about there not being any big differences will hold true at least as far as the console versions are concerned.

Ya, PCs do technically have unlimited storage for games but I think developers still try to minimize data or use some kind of compression. I dont think a game would fair well if it was 30+ gigs in size (reputation wise). Whats the biggest PC game available atm?

Well if you have a good enough computer to run the game well than you obviously buy the PC version (or hell, the Mac version), anything else would be pretty stupid, especially for an id game. The problem is a lot of people have shitty computers or laptops and have to choose between the PS3 or 360 version.

From what I've heard it seems the PS3 version is the one to buy but I'll hold my tongue, knowing that multiplatform games usually get shafted on the PS3 unfortunately

LosDaddie

Banned
Ok, so this is what I've gathered from this this so far:
When RAGE and/or Doom4 finally ship, which will be no less than 3yrs into the PS3's lifecycle; We will finally have a game that shows the "need" for blu-ray?

Minsc

Gold Member
LosDaddie said:
When RAGE and/or Doom4 finally ship, which will be no less than 3yrs into the PS3's lifecycle; We will finally have a game that shows the "need" for blu-ray?

Being inferior to the version shipping on DVDs, hardly shows a need for blu-ray.

Blu-ray is trumped by HDDs, and a waste of money for gaming as far as I can see.

goldenpp72

LosDaddie said:

3 years? More like 5 isn't it

Firewire

Banned
Minsc said:
Being inferior to the version shipping on DVDs, hardly shows a need for blu-ray.

Blu-ray is trumped by HDDs, and a waste of money for gaming as far as I can see.

Keep spinning that shit.

Lion Heart said:
Ya, PCs do technically have unlimited storage for games but I think developers still try to minimize data or use some kind of compression. I dont think a game would fair well if it was 30+ gigs in size (reputation wise). Whats the biggest PC game available atm?

Age of Conan is the biggest PC game atm I believe. The install is around 30GB.

LosDaddie said:

no, I would say that MGS4 used BR correctly though.

MirageDwarf said:
360 fans are in denial. 360's dvd drive is holding back and will keep holding back open world games on consoles. Accept it.

Developers are stuck with either designing open world game around one disc or make it linear.

Which is a factor that pales into comparison in trying to fit an ambitious modern game into a pitiful 256MB of RAM. The PS3, the 360 and low end PCs are all holding this and every other game back in some way, the 360 isn't a special case here.

LosDaddie

Banned
Broadbandito said:
no, I would say that MGS4 used BR correctly though.

I would've preferred 2 (maybe 3) DVDs over the mandatory 15min initial install and 2-3min installs between chapters.

MGS4 was a great game though.

segarr

All this discussion on the amount of discs is pointless..get real. Of course this and Rage will look and perform better on 360. Don't believe the PR crap. Call these "Ghostbusters 2"

Firewire said:
Keep spinning that shit.
Why would blu-ray be necessary in this case? I'd think the pain of having to swap DVDs would be offset by having a better optimized game, which in all likelyhood will be the 360 version. The only advantage of blu-ray is space, so I don't see why it could be necessary for gameplay in any real way, except for the fact that there's extra charge for multi-disc 360 games and you can't require the HDD.

Of course, the PC version will be the best and negate all advantages of blu-ray, but it's not even worth mentioning since it goes without saying.

Orlics

Vorador said:
X-Plane (a flight sim) more than doubles that. The install is around 70 Gb.

The core install is only 10 GB. The rest is just scenery, I don't think that really counts because it's just a bunch of pictures of real-world places.

goldenpp72

Yeah, ps3 is great and all as hardware, but it is kind of a double edged sword, I mean, it has technology built in for the future which will probably be needed (or something of equivilant) but by the time it starts being really, fully used, new consoles will be out. It's kind of similar feeling to the xbox versus gamecube, aside nintendos (common) silly use of a format, the gamecube was a really refined, polished and well thought out device that was catered very specifically to the times it existed through, the xbox is sorta like that but more cluster fucked, and ps3 is just filled with too much stuff developers don't seem to need yet.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
LosDaddie said:

There are any number of games where the devs have claimed 'need' for space beyond a DVD (and varying levels of debate subsequent to those claims), but this would be the first higher profile third party multi-plat game/engine I can think of where the need for great amounts of data is very thoroughly driven home.

However, like I say, there are already out there games that do fill the disk, and not just with audio or padding. I'm sure upcoming games like UC2 are pretty data-heavy themselves too.

expy

Banned
God's Beard said:
Why would blu-ray be necessary in this case?

In this case, you'd have to find a time in the game where it is possible to stop it and allow for a swap to take place. In the future, I don't know if developers will want to be held back by the "I have to cut the game at some place to fit it onto multiple media" issue.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
expy said:
In this case, you'd have to find a time in the game where it is possible to stop it and allow for a swap to take place. In the future, I don't know if developers will want to be held back by the "I have to cut the game at some place to fit it onto multiple media" issue.

You don't have to wait for the future, that's a decision iD already took with Rage. They wanted to split it on more discs to allow them to use more data, but there was no way to do that the way the game is, so it's coming on 2. Carmack would have preferred 3, and all that implies (whatever it is he had in terms of for what the extra data would give him).

Need is very relative though. I could say Rage needed more data storage to be true to what Carmack wanted, but someone else might argue it wasn't necessary if they can cut to make it fit 2. So a lot depends on what one means by 'need'. But clearly, whatever Carmack had in his head for 3 discs does need more data than the Rage we're getting on 2.

It would be nice if Carmack stopped focusing so much on upping texture resolution and graphical fidelity and maybe tried doing something completely new or innovative with his engines. Then I could see more of a point to using up so much space.

lemon__fresh said:
It would be nice if Carmack stopped focusing so much on upping texture resolution and graphical fidelity and maybe tried doing something completely new or innovative with his engines. Then I could see more of a point to using up so much space.
New and innovative with an engine? You mean like completely eliminating texture restrictions? Because that'd be a sight to see.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Minsc said:

wtf , how do you know that Ps3 versions of RAGE/DOOM4 are inferior ?

anyway...many Sony first party games fill 20-25 blu-ray discs..

and many third party games put DTS/ 7.1 uncompressed soundtracks on PS3 versions exclusively because of the big available disc space and this is important for audiophile gamers and people with thx 7.1 systems.

Sciz

lemon__fresh said:
If you're going to bring that sort of point up, then please, at least mention one such innovative idea you'd like to see in a game engine.

Jin

expy said:

I remember he complained about the storage space but I don't know about not releasing the next GTA on 360 because of storage space. I seriously doubt Rockstar is going to ignore a huge chunk of fans because of it.

garks

Banned
Not surprised at all. Bizarre mentioned they couldn't make night/day races on certain levels because the DVD was holding them back (PGR4). I'd love to see what the 360 is capable of with a blu-ray drive.

But the enlightening thing is developers have never complained about the 360's power against the PS3, it has always been about disc capacity.

Top Bottom