• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Carmack: Doom 4 will launch on 3DVDs/1 Blu Ray

Sciz

lemon__fresh said:
megatexturing... yawn!!! Now we get to use one big texture instead of a few small ones. How about improved animation,ai,physics all things that have been lacking in previous ID titles.
I don't think you realize just how big virtually complete freedom from texture memory constraints really is. Animation and physics are naturally going to be better several years on from the last engine. There's nothing especially innovative about either any more and there won't be until the next generation when GPU muscle makes a real improvement possible. Truly good AI would be, but that's a problem that's still years from being solved anyway. In the interim we're doing pretty good to have something like Crysis AI that can play sort of nicely with destructible objects, which doesn't seem like a major aspect of RAGE anyway. Incremental improvements in any of these categories doesn't compare to what they're doing with textures.

lemon__fresh said:
It was the same when Doom 3 came out and then got compared to HL2 (released in the same year). The graphics sure looked shiny... and thats about it.
DOOM 3 has a reasonably robust physics engine, it just didn't make it a critical component of the gameplay like HL2 did. Not an engine issue. Source has a very nice facial animation system, but once Havok really caught on they've been content to stay behind the hardware and technology curve.

Chinner

Banned
Fakto said:
You are scaring the anons !

122071-love.jpg
where is the IPhone?

RavenFox

Banned
LosDaddie said:
Clear cut as what?:lol I already know how they work.
I see another laughing emoticon poster because you obviously don't know how the tech works. DVD's are CAV and BluRays are CLV. A 360's drive has a minimum and maximum read speed. The PS3 drive spins always at its maximum read speed.
ALL 360 games are dual layer which equal slower or equal seek times to the PS3's 2x bluray drive. CAV drives slow down as you get to the middle of the disc. The only time the 360 may beat PS3 is on single layer disc . Unless something has changed in dvd land the 360 drive does not spin at a constant 12x. Only lazy devs will have PS3 games with long ass load times.

In the end I think it balances out.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Let's try this again, Shins.

Chinner said:
where is the IPhone?
"somewhere between ankles and knees," and that's why he didn't get invited to the party.

I was about to post that but then reread my post and could not stop laughing @ my mistake so I just had to post it.

dojokun

Banned
RavenFox said:
I see another laughing emoticon poster because you obviously don't know how the tech works. DVD's are CAV and BluRays are CLV. A 360's drive has a minimum and maximum read speed. The PS3 drive spins always at its maximum read speed.
ALL 360 games are dual layer which equal slower or equal seek times to the PS3's 2x bluray drive. CAV drives slow down as you get to the middle of the disc. The only time the 360 may beat PS3 is on single layer disc . Unless something has changed in dvd land the 360 drive does not spin at a constant 12x. Only lazy devs will have PS3 games with long ass load times.

The problem is that guy you are responding to uses emoticons to mock people when they call him out on his biased posting.

dojokun said:
The problem is that guy you are responding to uses emoticons to mock people when they call him out on his biased posting.
KISS HIM!

You'll feel better after.

All your anger will wash away as his muscled arms grasp around you, his bronzed skin glistening from the beads of sweat rolling down his chest...

Wait... when did I become gay?!

Thunder Monkey said:
KISS HIM!

You'll feel better after.

All your anger will wash away as his muscled arms grasp around you, his bronzed skin glistening from the beads of sweat rolling down his chest...

Wait... when did I become gay?!
md2pl0.jpg

LosDaddie

Banned
RavenFox said:
I see another laughing emoticon poster because you obviously don't know how the tech works.

I used the laughting emoticon because I thought that after 2 (going on 3) years of 2x BD vs 12x DVD debates, everyone would've already came to the same conclusion (based on actual performance):

RavenFox said:

I know how each tech works. Just that neither optical drive in the consoles has proven itself to be clearly superior....aside from capacity, that is.

LosDaddie

Banned
Thunder Monkey said:
If any embracing will be done it'll be in OT with Gaborn! Private! Like God intended the love that dare not speak it's name!

Why yes, Gaborn does seem like a big, cuddly libertarian bear now that I think about it.

I know that I'm a Junior, but Gaborn's news articles are always great

LosDaddie said:
Why yes, Gaborn does seem like a big, cuddly libertarian bear now that I think about it.

I know that I'm a Junior, but Gaborn's news articles are always great
Welcome aboard and good on you for learning one of GAF's hardest lessons. Either be the joke, or face the banstick.

markot said:
>_<

Do they even try to compress stuff >.>?

Probably mentioned, but in one video I saw, Carmack says the terrain texture itself is 80GB, but they use compression to make it fit on the media. Without compression the game wouldn't even fit on a 50GB Blu-Ray.

I am looking forward to this, but It seems ahead of its time. I hope I am pleasantly surprised.

HurricaneJesus said:
I am looking forward to this, but It seems ahead of its time. I hope I am pleasantly surprised.

Remember when Doom 3 came out? Not alot of people had computers that could run that at full. Now it's more common, and I have a feeling everyone will be blown away with it's outcome.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
The game will be released as a single Steam download which is all you punks should care about.

Doom on a console. Please.

The mega-texture technology sounds really good, basically expanding the textural detail potential amazingly, even on current consoles let alone PC, by using it as one giant asset as opposed to smaller sections and tiles, sounds win/win for most.

EDIT: Jesus Christ, what the hell is this thread about now?!

RavenFox

Banned
LosDaddie said:
I know how each tech works. Just that neither optical drive in the consoles has proven itself to be clearly superior....aside from capacity, that is.
There are test that showed it does. [BluRay that is] and with that Im done.

segarr said:
wtf? Show me a game these devs have made on 360.
your funny.

Ooh, I just thought of something. I wonder if the PC downloadable version would have the option for a full uncompressed install so you can see all those glorious 80GB textures?

LosDaddie

Banned
RavenFox said:
There are test that showed it does. [BluRay that is] and with that Im done.

In reality, it just matters how devs decide to master the game discs. If critical data is placed towards the outer parts of the DVD (where the read & seek speeds are at their max), then a 12x DVD drive can outperform a 2x BD drive. On the opposite side; Devs can (and have) duplicate data on the BD drive (and install to the HDD) to outperform the 12x DVD drive.

But based on real world performance (ie. actual games), neither optical drive has demonstrated clear superiority over the other. AGain, aside from capacity.

And with that, I'm done.

RavenFox

Banned
LosDaddie said:
In reality, it just matters how devs decide to master the game discs. If critical data is placed towards the outer parts of the DVD (where the read & seek speeds are at their max), then a 12x DVD drive can outperform a 2x BD drive. On the opposite side; Devs can (and have) duplicate data on the BD drive (and install to the HDD) to outperform the 12x DVD drive.

But based on real world performance (ie. actual games), neither optical drive has demonstrated clear superiority over the other. AGain, aside from capacity.

And with that, I'm done.
You went to find that info didn't you but again you forget a dual layer disc will not to this. Try again. You need a graph don't you?

segarr

LosDaddie said:

And with that, I'm done.
Real world performance is all that matters and Blu-ray hasn't shown an edge in that department. If anything, I've seen faster load times on 360 even with mandatory installs on certain games. PS3 advocates like to talk specs and potential like "the power of CELL" but that doesn't mean jack practically.

dojokun

Banned
segarr said:
Real world performance is all that matters and Blu-ray hasn't shown an edge in that department. If anything, I've seen faster load times on 360 even with mandatory installs on certain games. PS3 advocates like to talk specs and potential like "the power of CELL" but that doesn't mean jack practically.
Again you try to turn this into 360 vs. PS3. A guy can't just make the simple statement that Blu-Ray has its advantages without some fanboy turning it into a 360 vs. PS3 argument.

segarr said:
Real world performance is all that matters and Blu-ray hasn't shown an edge in that department.
I would assume that when you're talking about a medium for delivering content to the user, storage capacity would play SOME role?

Either way, this discussion is beyond stupid.

LosDaddie

Banned
RavenFox said:
You went to find that info didn't you but again you forget a dual layer disc will not to this. Try again. You need a graph don't you?

:lol I've known all this for years and yes I know that the X360's 12x takes a dip once it hits the DL. And I've seen plenty of graphs proving & disproving BD's/DVD's superiority.

But if you want to rehash 2006-2007 debates by posting some graphs, then be my guest.

segarr

dojokun said:
Again you try to turn this into 360 vs. PS3. A guy can't just make the simple statement that Blu-Ray has its advantages without some fanboy turning it into a 360 vs. PS3 argument.
Don't even try to say I turned this into 360 vs Ps3. Someone claimed this was the year of the PS3 because of this right on this page.

LosDaddie

Banned
segarr said:
Real world performance is all that matters and Blu-ray hasn't shown an edge in that department.

eh....depends on what you want from games. I really love PS3 games that have a DTS audio trac.

the writing was on the wall with gta 4and it's reduced game content compared to previous titles; carmack saying they have to split up an open world game over 2 discs and even cut it back from 3. Rockstar release on one disc and microsoft loan them 50 million dollars to give their version of the game a single branched storyline!

dojokun

Banned
segarr said:
Don't even try to say I turned this into 360 vs Ps3. Someone claimed this was the year of the PS3 because of this right on this page.
Even if someone claimed it was the year of the PS3, that's simply a positive statement about the PS3. You don't need to interpret that as a 360 vs PS3 comment. If I said 2008 was the year of Michael Phelps, that doesn't mean I'm turning it into a Michael Phelps vs. all other swimmers conversation. You did turn it into a 360 vs PS3 debate.

LosDaddie said:
:lol I've known all this for years and yes I know that the X360's 12x takes a dip once it hits the DL. And I've seen plenty of graphs proving & disproving BD's/DVD's superiority.

But if you want to rehash 2006-2007 debates by posting some graphs, then be my guest.
You said you were done.

Top Bottom