• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CastleVania Arcade game - screens

king zell

castlevaniacab.jpg

whipcontrols.jpg

castlevania11.jpg

Ever since I first heard about the new CastleVania arcade title by Konami, I’ve wanted to see more than the outside of the cabinet and finally after a little while of waiting we have a couple of shots from inside the cabinet. Next we’ll need video but this will do for now. As seen above about it’s got a very large screen - I know that the cabinet is huge(as seen below) so it will be an attention getter. Also seen in the thumbnail to the right here are the motion-sensitive whip controllers - I wonder if the tips light up or not. With the fanbase that CastleVania has I cannot imagine this not showing up outside of Japan, we’ll just have to see how much it runs for.

http://arcadeheroes.com/2008/10/14/...levania-arcade-game-from-the-inside/#comments

Wii port ?

lyre

So ... is flailing acceptable now?

Edit: Obligatory, what preexisting assets are they recycling for this game?

JEKKI

Wario64 said:
Holy crap, it's like a different take on the light gun genre. Awesome!
they've already done something similar to this tho.

I cant remember the name of the game but you had like a hilt that you swing around like a sword... and u fight samurais or onis or shyt like that...

it was a pretty cool game btw

Chemo

lyre said:

Since this looks decent, I doubt IGA had anything to do with it, meaning all of his comments about flailing and his notorious re-use of assets don't necessarily have to apply to this.

And thank fuck for that.

TreIII

Guymelef said:
Kotaku says that graphics are on par with PS360.

Kotaku says a lot of things.

They, among others, thought that Tatsunoko vs. Capcom had "graphics on par with PS360", too.

I think it's just more of a thing that when people see an exceptionally good looking game that could possibly be built on Wii technology, their minds have had their standards lowered so much, they don't know what to do with themselves! :lol

With Tatsunoko vs. Capcom being the first announced game on that "Wii-based Arcade Hardware", I can't imagine it being the only one of its kind. Hell, some rumors already stated that this game could possibly be one of those other games for that platform...

Teknoman

lyre said:

Reversal maybe? New assets made for this and then reused on the 360/PS3 Castlevania?

lyre

Chemo said:
Since this looks decent, I doubt IGA had anything to do with it, meaning all of his comments about flailing and his notorious re-use of assets don't necessarily have to apply to this.

And thank fuck for that.
Many devs say a lot of shit and go back on their word later on; I wouldn't be surprised if IGA is still behind this.

As stated before; lol flailing.

Chemo

lyre said:
Many devs say a lot of shit and go back on their word later on; I wouldn't be surprised if IGA is still behind this.

IGA doesn't have time to be behind this... he just signs off on shit like this as the franchise "lead." He didn't even have much to do with the PSP Dracula X remake, it was almost completely outsourced to a totally different team. With Ecclesia and his new PS360 abortion, there's no way he has time to make something like an arcade game... and the fact that it looks halfway interesting means his stink doesn't seem to be anywhere near it.

It's likely by a completely different team in their arcade division. I could be wrong, but again, I doubt it. IGA isn't capable of doing many things at once, and none of them ever look this good, so yeah fucking right is he involved in anything other than a stamp-of-approval capacity.

Chemo said:

And thank fuck for that.

Amen to that. I guarantee that the moment they remove IGA from power and invite different teams to make Castlevania games is the moment we start getting quality titles again.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I don't think Konami would give much of a crap to Castlevania if Igarashi wasn't around.

Varshes

So there was "Silent Hill The Arcade" now "Akumajo Dracula The Arcade", what's next? "Suikoden The Arcade"? (lolz)

Cool news, regardless!

Teknoman

Chemo said:
IGA doesn't have time to be behind this... he just signs off on shit like this as the franchise "lead." He didn't even have much to do with the PSP Dracula X remake, it was almost completely outsourced to a totally different team. With Ecclesia and his new PS360 abortion, there's no way he has time to make something like an arcade game... and the fact that it looks halfway interesting means his stink doesn't seem to be anywhere near it.

It's likely by a completely different team in their arcade division. I could be wrong, but again, I doubt it. IGA isn't capable of doing many things at once, and none of them ever look this good, so yeah fucking right is he involved in anything other than a stamp-of-approval capacity.

Abortion? C'mon now.

And to others, its not like the portable Castlevania games from Circle of the Moon to now weren't fun.

TreIII

Alaluef said:
I don't think Konami would give much of a crap to Castlevania if Igarashi wasn't around.

This is the correct answer.

If IGA wasn't there, there probably wouldn't even be any more Vanias. After CV fell from prominence, and became much more of a "niche" series, Konami doesn't have THAT much reason to care about the series any more. And why should they, when they got Hideo Kojima making games for them that make them plenty of paper?

So, like it or lump it, but IGA is the only reason the series is probably still remotely relevant, long after it probably would have been phased out for a number of years, to say the least.

lyre

Chemo said:
IGA doesn't have time to be behind this... he just signs off on shit like this as the franchise "lead." He didn't even have much to do with the PSP Dracula X remake, it was almost completely outsourced to a totally different team.
I kind of doubt that since Rondo remake has been something he wanted to do ever since Chronicles PSX was release (which still needs a PSN release!).

With Ecclesia and his new PS360 abortion, there's no way he has time to make something like an arcade game... and the fact that it looks halfway interesting means his stink doesn't seem to be anywhere near it.

If this is the case, someone kick him the hell off of the license and get someone who's willing to make a level by level game again.

ace harding: private eye said:
Amen to that. I guarantee that the moment they remove IGA from power and invite different teams to make Castlevania games is the moment we start getting quality titles again.
Either that or they make diarrhea that comprises of all new assets.

Teknoman: In WayForward we trust!

Matt_C

Quoted for Truth:
So there was "Silent Hill The Arcade" now "Akumajo Dracula The Arcade", what's next? "METAL GEAR The Arcade"

I know that there would not be much stealth if there was a METAL GEAR based arcade game but I would love to shoot some baddies and Metal Gears in an arcade type of setting. I guess it would be called Lethal Enforcers 4: METAL GEAR or
Lethal Enforcers: Outer Haven
something. Imagine CQC by swinging the gun around.

Snake, this is not a sneaking mission. It is a shooting mission.

I'm sure I read about this months ago, am I imagining things?

lyre said:

He said flailing was acceptable, just not for prolonged periods of time.

Geek

Ninny Prancer
Damn, really should've played this last week. I was in Ikebukuro and everything!

Guymelef said:
Kotaku says that graphics are on par with PS360.

A Kotaku reader says that graphics are on par with PS360.

TreIII said:
They, among others, thought that Tatsunoko vs. Capcom had "graphics on par with PS360", too.

Really? First I've heard of that.

TreIII said:

If IGA wasn't there, there probably wouldn't even be any more Vanias. After CV fell from prominence, and became much more of a "niche" series, Konami doesn't have THAT much reason to care about the series any more. And why should they, when they got Hideo Kojima making games for them that make them plenty of paper?

So, like it or lump it, but IGA is the only reason the series is probably still remotely relevant, long after it probably would have been phased out for a number of years, to say the least.

That's such an extreme statement to make. Symphony of the Night was a big game for Konami. Similar to Metal Gear Solid 4, Konami pooled its best and brightest together to create an outstanding game. Yes, Konami made the decision, not IGA, who was only the Assistant Director.

After SOTN's success, and before IGA became Series Dictator, Konami assigned ALL of its in-house development teams to create different Castlevania games for different systems, including porting SOTN to the Sega Saturn.

IGA's only contribution to the series was to make lots of mediocre games, rather than a few great ones. With different teams and produces, we get a mixed bag (SOTN, Castlevania 64, Castlevania Legends) that, at least, spices things up. With IGA, we get the same thing every time: a half-assed 2D game with great bosses and boring level design, or a half-assed 3D monster-masher with boooooooring-ass level design.

ace harding: private eye said:
With IGA, we get the same thing every time: a half-assed 2D game with great bosses and boring level design, or a half-assed 3D monster-masher with boooooooring-ass level design.

This is exactly why I'd prefer the series to die a quiet death until sometime 5 or 10 years down the road when Konami chooses to do a franchise revival. As long as Iga is keeping the series on life support as fans seem to believe nothing is ever going to change. If he knew how to revitalize Castlevania he'd have managed it already. He's had what, 7 chances to do so already?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
That uh...actually looks pretty awesome. :lol

jett

D-Member
:lol I remember some people wanting a FPS Castlevania game...well someone out there got their wish.

Cheerilee

TreIII said:

I think it could go either way. IGA's rule over the series prevents other people from coming up with any ideas on where to take the series. It's the kind of waste of time that only we nerds ever engage in. The series could rise or fall without IGA, and there's only one way to find out. He needs to step back from the series (he can go back to Tokimeki Memorial, since he's needed there too), and stay far enough away from Castlevania so people can come in and do what they want and be creative without the fear that IGA's going to come back in five years and spit on their work. If the franchise just sits there untouched for five years, then it'd be safe to say the series died without IGA, but it wouldn't be so dead that IGA couldn't revive it with little more than some recycled sprite art and a remix of Bloody Tears.

Ronabo

JEKKI said:
they've already done something similar to this tho.

I cant remember the name of the game but you had like a hilt that you swing around like a sword... and u fight samurais or onis or shyt like that...

it was a pretty cool game btw

It was called Tsurugi or Blade of Honor in the US.

Top Bottom