• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania Community Thread | What is a man?!

u8KTRcf.png

Is this...REAL?!?!?!

If it was real I would jump straight back into Yugioh again just to make a deck around this.
EDIT: OMG It's real!!!

Kokonoe

Banned
I'll have to check out those Touhou games Jaeger!

And yep, spyhunterzero, it's real. If you're going to make a deck around him you should get another Konami warrior to join the fight against the dark monsters!

Getsu Fuhma in TCG

fXFXuNf.jpg

I'll have to check out those Touhou games Jaeger!

And yep, spyhunterzero, it's real. If you're going to make a deck around him you should get another Konami warrior to join the fight against the dark monsters!

Getsu Fuhma in TCG

fXFXuNf.jpg
I know about Getsu Fuhma since it came with the Zombie Structure deck I get a few years back

Retro

Ouch. Those are some pretty harsh bullet points as well.

I hope whoever gets the series next has the balls to go 2-D.

Jaeger

I don't even pay reviewers any mind, in this day in age. Everyone is looking for buzzword additions to games. Everything is "innovation innovation", and then when a title is changed, it's "... they got rid of all the good things in it...", etc.

I'm still pumped. It's Castlevania. I'm all in.

Jaeger

Just finished SotN (got 198+%). Crissaegrim pwnage makes me feel so good, but it makes the game way too easy.

Next up is LoS, for the first time. Gotta be ready for LoS2. Which means I have to be swift, and grab MoF right after.

I haven't played Yugioh in years (I ran a Six Samurai deck when they were coming out, stopped a year or so later but was playing since day 1) and I want that card lol. Not sure if I'd play it again but still want.
Just finished SotN (got 198+%). Crissaegrim pwnage makes me feel so good, but it makes the game way too easy.

Next up is LoS, for the first time. Gotta be ready for LoS2. Which means I have to be swift, and grab MoF right after.
If you think Crissaegrim makes it a cakewalk, try the shield rod and the alucard shield combo

Welp, my friend who frequently orders cards for various games online (some for him, mainly for other people after they pay him, he does it to build reward points on his account) is getting a Vampire Hunter for me. It's only 50 cents on that site so I was like "lolwhynot".
schmoo is the ultimate ramen.

this thread needs amiga dracula.

lol I forgot Amigavania was a thing. Amiga Drac looks like a Muppet reject

Kokonoe

Banned
I'm still playing the Game Boy Castlevania and I'm really liking this OP invincibility move when you hit A and B together.

Hello Castevania Community!

I'm relatively new to the series. The games I have played are Dracula X Chronicles, SotN (unlockable version), Dawn of Sorrow, Portrait of Ruin, and Order of Ecclesia. They have all been incredibly fun to play, especially the DS games. I've no real interest in the LoS series, or the N64 games. So what are the must play Castelvania games?

I'll trade you this awesome Solid Snake for your card.

TacticalEspionageExpertDR3-EN-C-UE.jpg

Yeah, you get it from killing Schmoo's in the inverted library, it drops from them

Monster099.jpg

Giantbomb was right, The Shmoo is real!

Refyref

I'm relatively new to the series. The games I have played are Dracula X Chronicles, SotN (unlockable version), Dawn of Sorrow, Portrait of Ruin, and Order of Ecclesia. They have all been incredibly fun to play, especially the DS games. I've no real interest in the LoS series, or the N64 games. So what are the must play Castelvania games?

You've played most of the essential metroidvanias except for Aria of Sorrow.
You should go and play the classics. 1, 3, 4 and Rondo of Blood. Belmont's Revenge if you can get a copy. Play 2 if you have a lot of patience and are curious about it, but otherwise it might not be worth it.

EDIT: Oh, and The Adventure ReBirth! How could I forget that? (Stay clear from the original The Adventure.)

Firebrand

Ugh. Finally playing Lords of Shadow. I kinda like it. I was perfectly fine not liking it. It's a bit janky here and there and there's plenty of design issues (mainly regarding controls, camera and level design), but it isn't nearly as mediocre as I thought it'd be.

Then again, I did enjoy Curse of Darkness too.

You've played most of the essential metroidvanias except for Aria of Sorrow.
You should go and play the classics. 1, 3, 4 and Rondo of Blood. Belmont's Revenge if you can get a copy. Play 2 if you have a lot of patience and are curious about it, but otherwise it might not be worth it.

EDIT: Oh, and The Adventure ReBirth! How could I forget that? (Stay clear from the original The Adventure.)

Thank you for the recommendations
I really wish they would put Aria of Sorrow, and more GBA games in general, on the 3DS eshop. As for Rondo of Blood, does the unlockable version in Dracula X Chronicles do it any justice?

If I recall correctly, 2 is the game AVGN hates so much.

The unlockable Rondo of Blood in Dracula X Chronicles basically is the original version. I think the only changes are translated menus.

edit: oh also it's dubbed

Refyref

Thank you for the recommendations
I really wish they would put Aria of Sorrow, and more GBA games in general, on the 3DS eshop. As for Rondo of Blood, does the unlockable version in Dracula X Chronicles do it any justice?

If I recall correctly, 2 is the game AVGN hates so much.

DXC's Rondo of Blood is good, but not as much as the original version. If you have a Wii, you can get it on VC.

The issue with 2 is that it's full of cryptic stuff that there is no way in hell you'd know without a guide. And once you have a guide, the game turns to be pretty easy and utterly boring.

The unlockable Rondo of Blood in Dracula X Chronicles basically is the original version. I think the only changes are translated menus.

I guess I'm misremembering?

EDIT: No, I'm not. It's the 2.5D remake. I remembered right.

I guess I'm misremembering?

URRRR i dunno, I thought the unlockable Rondo of Blood was pretty much a direct port but with localized text and dubbing. Guess I'll do some research.

EDIT: Just did my research. The unlockable version of Rondo of Blood available in Dracula X Chronicles (not the main game, which is the 2.5D remake, the one you unlock in a similar fashion to Symphony of the Night) plays pretty much identically but has 1. localized menus with options to quick save and go back to the Dracula X Chronicles menu, 2. new dubbed voices for the intro, the cutscenes, and for the character SFX and 3. apparently a sound emulation issue resulting in faulty music looping.

URRRR i dunno, I thought the unlockable Rondo of Blood was pretty much a direct port but with localized text and dubbing. Guess I'll do some research.

There's some audio sync issues, and you have to play the game with a border instead of getting the option to stretch it.

Having the game translated and actually dubbed is a neat novelty and worth it for that alone, but the Wii VC release is probably the one I'd recommend the most.

About 3 times as many games as I've played, haha

Haha, the DS games alone were enough to get me interested in the series and lore. So I'm still a pretty new to the overall canon considering how long these games have been around. Honestly I just want an IGAvania for the 3DS, but it's probably never gonna happen.

Kokonoe

Banned
What are the Touhou Castlevania games called again? I'm gonna play them very soon.

I'll trade you this awesome Solid Snake for your card.

TacticalEspionageExpertDR3-EN-C-UE.jpg

Dude. I had no idea that card existed! Freakin' awesome.

And welcome to the thread!

qq more

Weren't there also Ganbare Goemon cards? I wanna see those.

Actually no joke, one time I was playing one of the games (Goemon 2) and was playing as Sasuke and someone saw me playing it and said "oh I know that character from a Yu Gi Oh card!"

Now that Lords of Shadow 2 is almost out, and with it, the end of the LoS off-shoot of Castlevania games, what can we expect next from the series? I for one want a 3DS IGAvania.

injurai

Banned
Now that Lords of Shadow 2 is almost out, and with it, the end of the LoS off-shoot of Castlevania games, what can we expect next from the series? I for one want a 3DS IGAvania.

I think everyone does. Personally I would still want to see a game with sprites. Maybe not pixel art, but very clean sprites, sort of like Rayman Origins but of course with a SoTN art style.

Chances are we get a 2.5D w/ 3D art assets like mirror of fate. Which I wasn't really feeling.

Actually I think it would be really awesome if Rondo of Blood gets a proper localisation or even remake along with SoTN. Maybe do that to gage interest in 2D titles before then going that route with handheld entries. 3DS certainly has the hardware numbers but damn the Vita is perfect for this series.

I think everyone does. Personally I would still want to see a game with sprites. Maybe not pixel art, but very clean sprites, sort of like Rayman Origins but of course with a SoTN art style.

Chances are we get a 2.5D w/ 3D art assets like mirror of fate. Which I wasn't really feeling.

Actually I think it would be really awesome if Rondo of Blood gets a proper localisation or even remake along with SoTN. Maybe do that to gage interest in 2D titles before then going that route with handheld entries. 3DS certainly has the hardware numbers but damn the Vita is perfect for this series.

I found the 2.5D worked well for Dracula X Chronicles. So much so, I wouldn't mind a 2.5D SotN remake that picks up right after DXC since the original SotN picks up after Rondo of Blood.

What do diehard Rondo of Blood fans think about DXC?

Marz

I found the 2.5D worked well for Dracula X Chronicles. So much so, I wouldn't mind a 2.5D SotN remake that picks up right after DXC since the original SotN picks up after Rondo of Blood.

What do diehard Rondo of Blood fans think about DXC?

That game was one of the ugliest games I have ever seen.

Plz no.

Top Bottom