• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania Community Thread | What is a man?!

Oh, sorry. I've only played LoS1, 2, and SotN.

Circle of the Moon, eh? I will put it on the list.

Well you have alot more to experience I'm jealous! Actually I revise my CoTM recommendation and replace it with Aria of Sorrow for your first GBA entry since it easily the best, but if you want to save it for later maybe try a classicvania title like Super Castlevania IV if you can get your hands on it. If not those cant go wrong with the DS titles, really accessible online/affordable too.

Circle of the Moon really is good. It's tied with Aria of Sorrow as my second favorite Castlevania game, just after Symphony.

Younger me probably didn't know how to appreciate it properly, but that game had some nice challenge.

I'm loving it! Though the only really difficulty I had with it thus far has been the damned
DRAGON ZOMBIE FUCK THAT THING!

Well you have alot more to experience I'm jealous! Actually I revise my CoTM recommendation and replace it with Aria of Sorrow for your first GBA entry since it easily the best, but if you want to save it for later maybe try a classicvania title like Super Castlevania IV if you can get your hands on it. If not those cant go wrong with the DS titles, really accessible online/affordable too.

I'm loving it! Though the only really difficulty I had with it thus far has been the damned
I actually loved that fight. Wish it would reappear again.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod

Have the enemies in the earlier zones of the game been replaced by harder enemies yet? I always thought that was neat.

I actually loved that fight. Wish it would reappear again.

It was cool but for some reason I just couldn't get the pattern so I resorted to the spamming cross/boomerang technique slayed the bastards in no time!

Have the enemies in the earlier zones of the game been replaced by harder enemies yet? I always thought that was neat.

Yep, really like how they did that too. Last time I booted up the game I had just gotten to
the sewers where you purify the water.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I was surprised the first time I saw this.
By the way, what is that on your avys head?

A Delsin beanie from the new inFamous game. You'll see 'em all over the place in the "gone gold" thread. We're all very excited :p

Yep, really like how they did that too. Last time I booted up the game I had just gotten to
the sewers where you purify the water.

Nice! I don't recall if I ever actually managed to clear the waterway without first purifying the water, but that's a fun challenge too.

Also, I just remembered something about the challenge; the game is fairly smooth going on the standard mode of play, but when you beat it, you unlock another mode to play through on. I think it's either Magician or Fighter after the first playthrough. Fighter is also really easy, but you don't get any MP. Magician makes you a twig, but you get a lot of MP and all the DSS cards from the start of the game. Past that there's hunter (sub-weapon focus, with awesome homing daggers) and Thief (twig with very high LCK).

It's got some great replayability.

Levyne

Banned
Some people hate avatar fads (understandable) but this game is the reason I have a PS4, it's sat pretty much unplayed since launch. So I will indulge in this particular fad :D

All done with Order of Ecclesia. Lots of fun, and a pretty good note to end Igavanias on (for now
until ever
).

I definitely feel like Glyphs are the best implementation of magic in any Igavania yet. They're given to you at a good rate and provide a lot of variety, and the majority of them felt like they were useful. I personally thought it was a much better system than Souls, though the novelty of every enemy providing you abilities IS cool.

Not crazy about the changes to the combat system. I don't really feel like the addition of stamina really added much to the formula. If it's supposed to counterbalance the addition of linking together attacks, it didn't really do a very good job, as I could really just wail on a lot of enemies until they were dead and the stamina bar was nowhere near empty. And on the topic of combo attacks, not too big on that either. I'd rather have single attacks do more damage and have decent recovery time, personally.

Apparently people think OoE is really difficult too? I mean, it WAS difficult, and there were a couple of bosses near the end that I ended up having to retry quite a few times, but I didn't think it was much harder than, say, DoS. But I mean, it was a good level of difficulty. Certainly refreshing after what a cakewalk PoR was (even though I enjoyed that game too).

Well, that's that for the DS Castlevanias, I guess. I just need to pick up Aria of Sorrow and my Igavania collection will be complete. Though I should probably get around to finishing CotM and HoD too.

I felt it was harder than DoS. The only time I had to kinda think about what I was doing was when i was fighting Aguni in Julius mode. In OoE I had think about what I was doing with almost all Bosses or I would get wreaked.

Kokonoe

Banned
Man, I haven't touched that game in quite a while. I should go back to it sometime.

My friend and I just got to hard mode yesterday, I switched from 360 to PS3 so I'll have to redo everything again. Having a blast, though.

Fun fact: This game is one of the few native 1080p PS3/360 games.

My friend and I just got to hard mode yesterday, I switched from 360 to PS3 so I'll have to redo everything again. Having a blast, though.

Fun fact: This game is one of the few native 1080p PS3/360 games.

Also, Maria is nerfed badly in the PS3 version along with Simon losing his fireball which makes no sense.

My main is the same as always~ Shanoa. Although I do love me some Getsu Fuma. Richter can be fun at times as well. I'd play Alucard more but he's really gimped in the game.

Cool. I myself main Shanaynay and Julius but since I've gotten everything again I've been messing around with other characters for the hell of it.

Cool. I myself main Shanaynay and Julius but since I've gotten everything again I've been messing around with other characters for the hell of it.
urge to call her shanaynay... rising...

those two are essentially my mains, but I wouldn't mind working on getting a better Soma. Also sorry for asking to play that one night and not doing so, last minute stuff came up.

On another note, kinda surprised to not seeing this in here. You guys have any thoughts on Iga leaving Konami?

urge to call her shanaynay... rising...

those two are essentially my mains, but I wouldn't mind working on getting a better Soma. Also sorry for asking to play that one night and not doing so, last minute stuff came up.

On another note, kinda surprised to not seeing this in here. You guys have any thoughts on Iga leaving Konami?

It's no biggie. I think i actually was preoccupied that night so I wasn't on.
As for Iga leaving I'm a bit sad and happy. Sad Because I really did want that 1999 game, A sequal to HD, and maybe some more Shanoa stuff. I'm glad because now he can do what he wants and he can give us more games from him since Konami decided to keep him from working

Refyref

Normally I'd be a bit disappointed, since there probably isn't any producer there anymore that cares about Castlevania as much as he did.

But in reality, he really didn't do anything there in the past few years. Him leaving for making his own games has no downsides, and I'm sure he prefers it to Konami janitorial duty as well.

Marz

So who is going to make the next Castlevania?

Castlevania is probably dead. LoS2 bombed pretty hard. Konami is more interested in iOS and their spa business anyways.

Can't say I'm disappointed, got like 15 amazing past games to cherish and I don't like LoS anyways.

Kokonoe

Banned

Omg...had no idea. I haven't kept track of gaming news lately.

I am seeing that he's going to make games suited towards his fans, which is a blessing, although like others I do wish we got that 1999 Castlevania and a Harmony of Despair 2. Iga made HoD I believe.

Anyways, this is Konami's fault if anything so I don't blame him at all. Looking forward to whatever he makes.

Foffy

Banned
So who is going to make the next Castlevania?

Current rumored candidate is Climax Studio. But if Lords of Shadow 2 is the way the series is gonna go, maybe it's time to end. I don't want to see this series crumble like Silent Hill.

At least the spirit of a Castlevania successor is hopeful with Igarashi's new ventures. I hope he stays with that dark, gothic fantasy vibe.

As I said in the thread about it, I'm fine with Iga laving since he'll actually get to work on something. Compared to Konami just having him on the bench, him bing able to work on his own thing is great.

Though now you guys mention it, a game on the war of 1999 and a Harmony sequel would have been awesome...

Jucksalbe

Banned
I recently went back to the DS Castlevania games. I only ever played them until I beat the game and didn't look at all the bonus stuff. I'm quite surprised how much there is still to do. But I can't really decide on which game I want to focus.

I'm currently playing Julius Mode in Dawn of Sorrow, trying to get through the Nest of Evil in Portrait of Ruin and failing at getting through the Training Hall in Order of Ecclesia.

Tizoc

So I'm gonna post something that either a lot of you know or it might annoy you;
I have just now realized that Ayami Kojima's art sure has a lot of sameface...

Chinbo37

Hey Guys, I just beat Dawn of Sorrow for DS. Was a GREAT game! Probably the closest feeling i had to SOTN. I got 100% of the castle with Soma, and I also beat the Julius mode. I didnt bother to collect all the souls, but besides that I think I did everything.

I had a really good time with this game. I also have a copy of Portrait of Ruin which I never played but I think Ill take a castlevania break for now.

What is considered to be the best DS game of the 3?

I back Order of Ecclesia myself.
Though Dawn has the better castle and dense map since Ecclesia steps out of the castle for a variety of segmented areas,

Chinbo37

well i broke down and already started portrait of Ruin :)

So far I love the graphics... much improved from Dawn of Sorrow.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Can I just say I suck as much now as I did as a kid when playing Castlevania III. I'm fucking absolutely terrible at this game.

Chinbo37

Can I just say I suck as much now as I did as a kid when playing Castlevania III. I'm fucking absolutely terrible at this game.

I managed to beat this game about 15 years ago when I was in my 20s. But ya, when I was a kid I remember it being super hard.

I should go back and play it again cause I dont remember much other than the 3 characters you can select.

Chinbo37

Just an update. I am somewhere in the middle of Portrait of Ruin and so far .... IT ... IS ... AMAZING!

Not sure if it is just me but I love this game so far. I love the mini worlds and it is a great change of pace from the castle. The first one, the town, was awesome, the second, the Egyptian style world looked great and I just beat the third world, the one where gravity is all messed up and enemies are upside down or on their sides.

Ya there are a lot of recycled enemies but also a lot of new ones too.

So far I am liking this more than Dawn of Sorrow.

POR is a really fun CV game, alot of varied content easily makes it one of the best too, I think I like its gameplay and overall progression more than DOS but lacks the story and character I grew attached to with Aria and Dawn which edges POR just a bit from my fav DS entry.

Refyref

Portrait of Ruin is great. While I think that the other 2 DS Castlevanias are better overall, PoR has one of the best soundtracks of the series. Definitely my favorite soundtrack of any of the "Metroidvanias".

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Urgh. I've pretty much played everything in the series already, save a couple of the older and obscure ones (I started with the series on MSX and moved on to SNES/PSX/GBA/DS after that). Haven't played Mercury's games yet and intend to do so, but right now I've just been really craving a 2D SotN/DoS/OoE esque 'vania. It's sorta depressing how Konami is just silent on producing something new for the series. I'd buy a 3DS in a heartbeat if a CV was announced for it.

Top Bottom