• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles

White Man

Bebpo said:
Looks good besides the walking animation which is just REALLY SLOW...at least compared to the recent DS games. They need to speed Richter up about 200x and then we'll be talking.

Though I'll buy it just to have the original and SoTN.

It's not that bad. According to 1up, it's aiming to be a direct remake, so I doubt they'd want to play with mechanics by speeding him up.

Anyway. . .my dick is SO HARD.

Jammy

Banned
dog$ said:
Thank everyone that bought the GBA and DS Draculas.

That leads me to believe there'd be another new Castlevania game coming for DS, seeing as how even it sold better than MGS: PO in America so far. I think Konami's just testing the PSP waters with this game.

Somnid

You guys are excited but all I see is ports, ports that will end up on VC and XBLA. A new Castlevania would've been cooler.

MoxManiac

Somnid said:
You guys are excited but all I see is ports, ports that will end up on VC and XBLA. A new Castlevania would've been cooler.

Have you ever played Rondo of Blood? This is pretty much a brand new game for a lot of people, including myself.

Pachinko

I'm gonna need about 500 headbanging horn flipping smilies to convey the amount of awesome this game represents. I'll be buying SOTN on live arcade regardless but it's cool that this will have all that stuff with it.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Jammy said:
That leads me to believe there'd be another new Castlevania game coming for DS, seeing as how even it sold better than MGS: PO in America so far.
Yeah that makes sense.

When determining if one game should be made, let's compare the prospective title to a completely unrelated game on a different system based on its sales in one specific region.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
the remake looks really bad

way worse than the Megaman remakes... it looks very dull and bland :(

oh well original version of SOTN+Rondo=sold anyway.

This is great news...I can finally stop beating myself up after selling off my Turbo-Duo with Drac-X for a measly $100 12+ years ago, lol (hey I was a struggling college student back then =P)

Thank you Konami! =)

I guess it is time for me to get a PSP! DAYUM, this game looks good. I hope Sony has a pricedrop, or releases PSP2 before this game, so I can snatch one up. Shit this game looks good.

nathkenn

Borg Artiste
Error2k4 said:
the remake looks really bad

way worse than the Megaman remakes... it looks very dull and bland :(

oh well original version of SOTN+Rondo=sold anyway.

yeah, yikes after watching the video the 3d looks pretty rough.

Jammy

Banned
dog$ said:
Yeah that makes sense.

When determining if one game should be made, let's compare the prospective title to a completely unrelated game on a different system based on its sales in one specific region.

Maybe Konami thinks this Castlevania too will outsell MGS: PO? :lol

It's not like your "GBA and DS success translates to PSP support" made any more sense. :)

thefro

The remake looks like crap, at least the original game is included + SOTN, which is worth the money there alone (and maybe a PSP).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPZ-9lVlGOo

There's the original for those who haven't played it... note the 100x better music, smooth play mechanics, and less wonky animation (and more inspired art style).

Hopefully that's a very, very early build of the remake. I will say the animation is really fluid at points and embarassingly bad at others, so there's potential.

Geek

Ninny Prancer
Very very excited. Can't wait to see this "touched up" localization of SotN, too.

nathkenn said:
****ing psp, why isnt this shit on the ps2

Jesus. You can't wait an extra 6 months?

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Jammy said:
It's not like your "GBA and DS success translates to PSP support" made any more sense.
Probably because that's not what I said.

Handheld support leads to more handheld support.
Geek said:
You can't wait an extra 6 months?
I'd be elated if a PS2 version of this exists, but I'm not kidding myself.

It ain't gonna happen.

Jammy

Banned
I don't see why people are complaining. As long as the original and Symphony of the Night are in it, I'm in. :D

Piper Az

This remake looks mighty dumb. The animations looks horrible (why so jerky? and what's up with that big-stride walking?) The music, at least the one from the 1st stage, sounds like a retarded version of the original. Ugh. Buy the game for the original version, not the remake.

Soul4ger

PSP WINS.

UN****INGBELIEVABLE.

This is like a dream package, I can not wait to get this. At the same time, I feel bad for GBA/DS owners who have supported the series overwhelmingly the past six years, and they get shafted on a release like this. A remake, the original Rondo, AND SotN with enhancements? That's kind of a kick in the face, isn't it?

Doesn't matter to me, though. ::preorders tomorrow::

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
lol at the golem (he looks awesome in 2d ;_;)... honestly this is really rough 3d

Derps

Banned
****ing awesome games like these are why I'm so pissed off the PSP doesn't get the love it deserves way more than a certain other device

Bebpo

Banned
Actually, thinking about it the best thing about this game is probably the full screen support for Rondo original and SoTN. I dunno about Rondo, but SoTN is full of long rectangular corridors and a true widescreen version that lets you see more of each area would be a truly positive enhancement over the original.

Now it's possible they could just be stretching it or doing some stupid method to get it to fill the screen...BUT the Suikoden I+II PSP port by Konami is probably the best port on the system and does it the right way with giving you more image while maintaining very sharp and accurate. So since it's the same company, hopefully SoTN and Rondo will be like that, and then it's worth the admission price even without the 3d version IMO :)

mikeGFG

Banned
Straight retarded. I can't believe how many of you will gobble up these shameless remakes.

And give Richter his SotN moveset. Purists can play the Rondo port.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
thefro said:
Hopefully that's a very, very early build of the remake. I will say the animation is really fluid at points and embarassingly bad at others, so there's potential.

The preview says it's pre-beta.

Soul4ger said:
At the same time, I feel bad for GBA/DS owners who have supported the series overwhelmingly the past six years, and they get shafted on a release like this. A remake, the original Rondo, AND SotN with enhancements? That's kind of a kick in the face, isn't it?

They got original games.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
the remake is more of a curiosity than anything else -- psp hasn't got the juice to make a 3d game as attractive as the original sprites, and this is hardly the prettiest game on psp. but rondo and sotn on one disc is amazing -- the best or second-best actionvania and the best metroidvania. and it seems pretty safe to say that the series will never reattain those peaks. :/

Thank god they are including the original DX because the remake looks horrible. Bland colors, awkward animation and just clunky all-around. Watching the video drained me of any excitement I had for the few seconds I learned of the game's existence.

Soul4ger

krypt0nian said:
They got original games.

So? Rondo is like a new game for 99% of people. And very coveted, too, if the prices on eBay are any indication. I'm sure DS will still get new games, and, to be perfectly honest, I've been hankering a PSP Castlevania game for a while, just for the music possibilities alone... But still, that's a great package, with a lot of content.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
ds hasn't got the screen resolution or the storage space for accurate versions of either of these games, let alone a compilation. "it should be on ps2" is a defensible position, but "it should be on ds" isn't.

Soul4ger said:
This is like a dream package, I can not wait to get this. At the same time, I feel bad for GBA/DS owners who have supported the series overwhelmingly the past six years, and they get shafted on a release like this. A remake, the original Rondo, AND SotN with enhancements? That's kind of a kick in the face, isn't it?

Doesn't matter to me, though. ::preorders tomorrow::

Well, first off, I don't see how you would put 3 cd games onto a cartridge (whereas an UMD holds about 3 cds). Sony often gets criticized for going with the UMD format, but it does have a large storage capacity that carts don't offer, which makes stuff like this plausible.

Secondly, I don't see how what the PSP is getting is all that great - 2 old games, and a graphically enhanced port. Yeah, it's pretty cool, but at the same time, I honestly would have preferred a brand new Castlevania game, like the ones that GBA/DS have been getting. While they are probably the best Castlevania games, it's still basically just a shovelware compilation that Konami threw together.

Soul4ger said:
So? Rondo is like a new game for 99% of people. And very coveted, too, if the prices on eBay are any indication. I'm sure DS will still get new games, and, to be perfectly honest, I've been hankering a PSP Castlevania game for a while, just for the music possibilities alone... But still, that's a great package, with a lot of content.

They are still ports that require no real work. They got original Castlevanias.

There is no kick to anyone's face here.

Muppet345

I'm pretty disappointed they went with these hideous looking graphics instead of some awesome spritework on the PSP :| It's a nice package though.

Top Bottom