• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Harmony of Despair |OT|

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Luckily a few people on my Friendslist were playing and invited me.
Yeah, they were pros already, I was just keeping company, but I learned a lot. They were patient though as I couldn't use the same shortcuts.

Played 6 levels without me ever learning a new spell for Charlotte. Ooops.
Now I read a bit. Will level her and Fuma.

LProtag

Nora Kisaragi said:
You should have avoided Chapter 8. Nobody plays chapter 8 anymore on xbox for a reason.

Damn, aren't there some items there I would want though to make it a worthwhile purchase?

LProtag

I play Soma! Yay, purchase redeemed.

Also yeah, the music is tempting.

Anyway I'll be hanging around in the PSN chat for a bit today/tonight, if anyone still needs an invite let me know.

kiryogi

Banned
What's with the lack of psn love here! Did everyone play it on the 360 already? Sadly I missed that boat, but its been such an addicting experience. Igavania + loot whoring = win. I've spent maybe 30 hours now, going at it every day and all week. Around 20 hours on Charlotte, 3.5 on Soma, and 6 hours on Shanoa.

Let's see more PSN players.

Toki767

kiryogi said:
What's with the lack of psn love here! Did everyone play it on the 360 already? Sadly I missed that boat, but its been such an addicting experience. Igavania + loot whoring = win. I've spent maybe 30 hours now, going at it every day and all week. Around 20 hours on Charlotte, 3.5 on Soma, and 6 hours on Shanoa.

Yours and lacechan's Charlottes are crazy. I'm definitely enjoying playing Soma and Shanoa. I think I'd enjoy Alucard more if I could get more scrolls easier but I don't seem to get good drops for him. Haven't tried any of the whip users or Yoko yet but I probably will eventually.

Still thinking if I want to buy chapter 9. Or any of the other DLC characters for that matter.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Toki767 said:
Yours and lacechan's Charlottes are crazy. I'm definitely enjoying playing Soma and Shanoa. I think I'd enjoy Alucard more if I could get more scrolls easier but I don't seem to get good drops for him. Haven't tried any of the whip users or Yoko yet but I probably will eventually.

Still thinking if I want to buy chapter 9. Or any of the other DLC characters for that matter.

Yeah, I haven't been getting good scroll drops with Alucard either. =/

Really been loving playing with you guys, by the way. :D

Kayo-kun

kiryogi said:

It's not out in European PSN and doesn't seem to be anywhere near release, so thats like 1/4 of the playerbase out of the window. I was really pumped for this, but I'm going to skip it if it doesn't get released this week. Treating an userbase like this (we still haven't gotten Symphony of the Night) is absolutely unacceptable.

frequency

I've been playing it a lot over the week. But I think "a lot" for me isn't the same as for other people.

I've only been playing single player though. Based on various forums I get the sense that this is the type of game where if I go in without having learned all my spells and maxed them, people will be cross with me. I'm not sure if I'll ever do multiplayer with that type of community.

The single player has been fun though. It really is like Castlevania lite but it's been years since the last DS game so this was well worth the $15 price tag for me.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
frequency said:
I've been playing it a lot over the week. But I think "a lot" for me isn't the same as for other people.

I've only been playing single player though. Based on various forums I get the sense that this is the type of game where if I go in without having learned all my spells and maxed them, people will be cross with me. I'm not sure if I'll ever do multiplayer with that type of community.

The single player has been fun though. It really is like Castlevania lite but it's been years since the last DS game so this was well worth the $15 price tag for me.

Nobody's going to be cross with you. There IS a vocal minority on the various forums out there, but it's mainly the old XBox pros who also bought the game on PS3. The game's been out for less than a week. Most of us are still new too. Don't be afraid to play online.

frequency

Seraphis Cain said:
Nobody's going to be cross with you. There IS a vocal minority on the various forums out there, but it's mainly the old XBox pros who also bought the game on PS3. The game's been out for less than a week. Most of us are still new too. Don't be afraid to play online.
Thanks for the reassurance. I'll try it sometime this week.
I'm just worried because I've had games ruined for me in the past thanks to people being jerks online. I guess I'm not very strong willed.

Toki767

frequency said:
Thanks for the reassurance. I'll try it sometime this week.
I'm just worried because I've had games ruined for me in the past thanks to people being jerks online. I guess I'm not very strong willed.
You can always play with some of us. At least then you'd know we won't treat you badly.

LeCapitan

Neo Member
frequency said:

I tried to play the hard chapters last night, and every time I invited more people to the game, some one would come in way low in the normal chapters. After rushing the newbies through to hard 3 or 4 times, only to have them quit before the hard chapters, I started kicking people. I only have so much patience for randoms.

That being said, if you're playing with gaffers, we'll always be willing to get you up to speed.

Nothing kills me more than Ch7 boss on Hard. Freakin' hearts! Well, I learned you can dropkick her head and float to avoid it but I still fuck up from time to time. Bleh.

And of course, everyone used me to get the trophy for killing an ally that was seduced... and then thanked me for it. :p

LeCapitan

Neo Member
DarknessTear said:
Nothing kills me more than Ch7 boss on Hard. Freakin' hearts! Well, I learned you can dropkick her head and float to avoid it but I still fuck up from time to time. Bleh.

And of course, everyone used me to get the trophy for killing an ally that was seduced... and then thanked me for it. :p

There's a way to skillfully jump through them, I saw some pro Alucard doing it. I'm sure it takes a bit of practice though.

Rarutos

I've been playing as Julius occasionally and the only subweapons I have still are Knife and Axe. It's really rather depressing. Is it always difficult to get subweapon drops or am I just super unlucky?

kiryogi

Banned
Rarutos said:
I've been playing as Julius occasionally and the only subweapons I have still are Knife and Axe. It's really rather depressing. Is it always difficult to get subweapon drops or am I just super unlucky?
It's pretty hard. All up to luck, but can't you buy his sub weapons?

I'm not sure how many times we ran chapter 9 and 7 for drops last night XD

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
brandonh83 said:
what's the best DLC? just bought the game but there's no way I'm buying all the DLC.

You really should buy all the stages. Most of the best equipment in the game is only found in them. Plus new abilities for the characters.

The DLC characters, however, you can take or leave, really.

Also I really should be getting to bed. Night, CVHD-GAF. Great Drac run tonight. :D

Toki767

Finished maxing out Charlotte besides getting better gear. Thinking of working on Shanoa or Alucard though I don't know how much I want to work on Alucard without having something like Valmanway. I don't seem to have much luck getting scrolls for him either. So much to do in this game. Kind of sad there won't be anymore new levels.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Alright guys, so I started feeling productive, and when that happens I can't sleep. So, may I present, avatars! :D

XKpmB.png
suv26.png
cRVjz.png

jlxNX.png
WHJkg.png
9rRkg.png

XTzXH.png
ckt6t.png
215H5.png

Gs6dt.png
JB2qj.png

Feel free to use any of them, CVHD-GAF! :D

LeCapitan

Neo Member
Seraphis Cain said:
Alright guys, so I started feeling productive, and when that happens I can't sleep. So, may I present, avatars! :D

I'll try this one out for a while :) Thanks.

frequency

Toki767 said:
You can always play with some of us. At least then you'd know we won't treat you badly.
That would be nice if I ever caught up with everyone. Thanks!

I just finished the 6 levels on normal and unlocked hard. Haven't done chapter 7. So I'm like... way behind everyone else in this thread.

DarkCloud

Seraphis Cain said:

Even though I'm on the 360 version and can't participate in the fun atm with psngaf I'll take this one. May actually do a few runs through Chapter 10 for my retro Deathscythe spell this weekend and finish it off.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
Seraphis Cain said:

Gonna take the Yoko one, thanks Seraphis!

Just wanted to say I've been having a blast playing with the GAFchat group (I'm Pak38).

I started out playing Yoko and Charlotte, but I've pretty much switched my main to Shanoa now; she is da besuto.

If anyone's looking to join the GAFchat group and is worried about being behind, we'll gladly get you up to speed.

Toki767

Started using Richter last night. Enjoying him for the most part. Hate leveling subweapons though. Got everything to level 5 and my knife at 7. Seems like the rest may take a while if I don't survival grind.

Does CVHDGAF still play this on 360? If so, you guys should hit me up, I'd totally be up for some games some time. =)

DarknessTear said:
Yeah you can use mist, too. I use Soma though.

With Soma, you can use Medusa Head to float above her head. If you're the whippers, you can martial arts through 'em. The girls don't have a trick up their sleeves, but they only take damage anyway, so it's okay.

Also, you don't need much practice to dodge Astarte's hearts. It's rather simple. Always try to be behind her. If she starts swinging her hips and says "Come hither!", back away a little. You then can simply jump over the wave that goes behind her. Keep her from hugging the wall, though.

Lucentto said:
I'm not sure if I should get this, DLC kind of scared me away, but I have a question. I heard that if a person online picks a character that you didn't buy the DLC for, they will show up as a skeleton. Is that true?

In the 360 version, DLC characters showed up as silver Axe Armor (video also features yours truly lol).

Seraphis Cain said:

suv26.png

Yoink! Thanks very much, Seraphis.

I'm really enjoying HoD. Playing as Soma right now, failing a lot but having lots of fun. The Handgun seems slower than I remember, but I'm still loving it.

Hey guys, feel free to add me if you are looking for hunting buddies! Cleared all non-DLC chapters on Normal and Hard. Will be getting DLC chapters hopefully next week.

PSN: CecilMcW00t

Got my first piece of Fuma equipment last night. The Fuma Helm. The stats are really good! While hunting for it, I managed to get a Bishamon Raiment. Mixed it with Death's Robe for some nice MP regen.

Bump! I double dipped on this to play local co-op with a friend and then started going through it one more time. I'm playing as Julius but obviously I feel rather useless when a more experienced player is carrying me. Is he viable at high level (obviously Soma isn't that much of a god before he gets some useful souls and Valmanway)? I'm currently collecting sub weapons and levelling them up, is there anything else to making Julius good?

Kayo-kun

Bump! I double dipped on this to play local co-op with a friend and then started going through it one more time. I'm playing as Julius but obviously I feel rather useless when a more experienced player is carrying me. Is he viable at high level (obviously Soma isn't that much of a god before he gets some useful souls and Valmanway)? I'm currently collecting sub weapons and levelling them up, is there anything else to making Julius good?

My main character is Julius and I can solo most chapters on hard except 7, 9, 10 & 11 without any major problems. I'll just let you know that you'll never be on the same tier as Soma/Alucard with a Julius, but I consider him the best whip user.

The first thing that you need to do is level up his sub-weapons (the ones that matter, I believe its everyone except Javelin and the retro ones, so a total of 6). It will take some time but its the only way you'll increase your base damage fast and easy. I'd suggest you find a partner and do the backdashcancel combo for the knife and do the slot-rotation combo to level up the other sub-weapons in survival mode ASAP. You should also equip the ring that drains your life instead of mana (forgot its name) while leveling up. There are some decent guides out there like this one.

Thanks. Looks like I'll be looking for some better gear then. I got my first Master Ring and well on my way to the second, so this will be fun.

Too bad I need to level up alone though, in a group everyone will just dash ahead and kill everything so I can't hit anything until the boss.

Kayo-kun

I don't really get what you mean :S

You level up your sub-weapons in the survival mode against the chapter 1 boss, not in the ordinary chapter modes. I usually message the other player and ask them if we could take turns, meaning I kill the boss one run and they do it the other one etc. You also get most of the best gear for Julius on chapter 11 on hard (Fuma's gear & Simon's plate).

Top Bottom