• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Faith (3DS)

Think of it like Epic Mickey, 3DS gets a separate game to the home console sequel. LOS2 should be announced at E3 alongside this 3DS outing.

There is a good chance that Mercury Steam are just producing this title with another studio handling the actual development, one who has portable experience. I reckon we'll see Griptonite Games announced as the developer.

Griptonite ? Oh pleeeeease noooo !!!:(

branny

Um, there is absolutely no way for me to get excited over this if it's not an Igavania, especially if it abandons everything that made OoE a great hybrid of old CV and post-Rondo CV.

Sadist

Think of it like Epic Mickey, 3DS gets a separate game to the home console sequel. LOS2 should be announced at E3 alongside this 3DS outing.

There is a good chance that Mercury Steam are just producing this title with another studio handling the actual development, one who has portable experience. I reckon we'll see Griptonite Games announced as the developer.
Eeeeeeh.

Kokonoe

Banned
It better be 2D.

As an aside, Harmony of Despair is crying out for a handheld/online port.

I'm interested in this.

0SqEC.jpg

wrowa

After being bought by Glu Mobile, I'd suspect that Griptonite will first and foremost develop games for plattforms such as iOS in the future. I don't think it's very likely that they are developing another 3DS game.

FoneBone

After being bought by Glu Mobile, I'd suspect that Griptonite will first and foremost develop games for plattforms such as iOS in the future. I don't think it's very likely that they are developing another 3DS game.

Yeah, Griptonite is out of the question. I find it very hard to believe that Mercury Steam is doing this itself, though.

Suzzopher

That's a shame, I quite liked Shinobi :(

Mercury Steam with no history in the portable space makes me nervous, I wonder who else they could outsource the development to?

Ridley327

That's a shame, I quite liked Shinobi :(

Mercury Steam with no history in the portable space makes me nervous, I wonder who else they could outsource the development to?

Are there any other known devs in Spain besides Mercury Steam? I'd start looking there first.

Ah gotcha thanks for clearing that up. Pumped for both titles.

There is a good chance that Mercury Steam are just producing this title with another studio handling the actual development, one who has portable experience.

WayForward has worked and currently is working with Konami on handheld projects for their existing IPs. If we assume there really is another studio involved I'd say WF is actually not that unlikely.

Maybe they even swept Book of Memories under the carpet to prioritize Castlevania 3DS!

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
WayForward has worked and currently is working with Konami on handheld projects for their existing IPs. If we assume there really is another studio involved I'd say WF is actually not that unlikely.

Maybe they even swept Book of Memories under the carpet to prioritize Castlevania 3DS!

Humanity would thank Konami FOREVER for this.

This thread has me wanting to replay OoE now. I wonder how many people missed out on that gem just because they were feeling burned out by IGA's Metroidvanias by that point?

Foffy

Banned

Pfft, if anything, let WF make a Castlevania game for Vita.

No Iga? Thats really a shame, I won't write it off but I can't say I'm happy about that. Honestly what did he do so wrong for Konami to completely take him off the series? The 3D titles were not the best but I enjoyed LOI and think it was a decent action game.

Pfft, if anything, let WF make a Castlevania game for Vita.

Why should Vita get a crappy Castlevania? If anything I would prefer it this new title came out on both systems.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this. As long as the gameplay is true to either oldschool CV or Metroicvania, then it should be cool. I did not like the LOS demo and didn't play the game though. I don't think I want anything to do with that universe. Please, just keep it in the Igavania universe.

Instead of WayForward or Griptonite, I'd like if M2 got another shot at the series. Castlevania The Adventure Rebirth was fantastic.

Tain

lol, WayForward is almost the new Treasure.

In terms of reputation, I mean, not quality. Goes without saying that even though Treasure's not the greatest, they're miles above WF.

What a shame. Spider-Man Web of Shadows and Shattered Dimensions are both great metroid style games. Only problems are the hackneyed touch based mini-games.

mantidor

A Castlevania made by that guy:

iga.jpg

He's the one who's responsible for the GBA and DS Castlevania games. Well, he also did those PS2 games and one other game we prefer not to talk about.

what is this!? since the wiimote reveal I dreamed of a castlevania game with whip action, all we got was an item in Skyward Sword, this picture is so damn teasing! :(

Lords is the best selling Castlevania game. Just sayin'

And the world is a worst place because of it.

I'll still wait and see, but I really want an Metroidvania, Iga or not involved, theres not a lot of games like that you know.

This thread has me wanting to replay OoE now. I wonder how many people missed out on that gem just because they were feeling burned out by IGA's Metroidvanias by that point?

Such a good game, my favourite Castlevania after SotN.
Strange how at first I felt it was the weakest of the 3 DS entries (probably due to franchise fatigue as I played them all consecutively) but upon replaying I loved everything about it so much more, especially the soundtrack.

MechaX

Meh. Kinda wish it was an IGAvania. Enough time has passed between OoE and now to the point where the guy has bound to have gotten some fresh ideas (and hopefully a budget to actually make new sprites).

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Guys have you seen the new Dave Cox profile picture in twitter?
It's supposed to be a hint
Wolf.jpg

And seriously, who needs Ayami Kojima with artwork like his?

I do. I like that art, but it's not a patch on Kojima's.

Not to mention that several of the core staff who developed those combo-driven sidescrollers left Griptonite after the Glu acquisition to form Crazy Viking Studios. They're currently working on Volgarr the Viking, a Steam title with somewhat similar gameplay.

Ananaz

Seems like Konami has had Castlevania-MirrorOfFate.net domain registered since february. Pretty surprising it wasn't discovered before.

Looking forward to details. LoS was a bit of a let down, but I'm definitely interested to see what Cox/MS is doing next with the series.

gerudoman

Oh god :( It was obvious that a 2D Castlevania (if not a trilogy again) was coming for 3DS, but I assumed IGA was behind again. I guess I still will buy it, but Mercury Steam will have to work reaaaally hard if they want to match both GBA and DS trilogies. Even the weakest entries such as Portrait of Ruin and Harmony of Dissonance are great games.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
So now we're being selective in the sprites we're talking about to prove a point?

Whatever. Hope the leak about it having a belmont is true, and I hope it's 2d gameplay. Won't care otherwise.

I have no idea. I don't know what this development company will do with a 2D style Castlevania. I'll wait and see.

I do know that Wayforward has some gems and they have made shit.
So basically you don't give a shit about most are saying and just want to have faith in this. Okay... you can pretty much do that with anything, it doesn't really make any other argument less valid honestly.

Instead of WayForward or Griptonite, I'd like if M2 got another shot at the series. Castlevania The Adventure Rebirth was fantastic.
It'd be nice but this wouldn't make sense with the people involved. IGA produced that game as well.

Wonko_C

Speaking of Lords of Shadow 2, how would people feel if Platinum Games lent a hand to Mercury Steam in its development? Would two studios working together on one game (at least in an "assisting" role) be even feasible? Lords of Shadow was a noble effort in my opinion but some help from one of the best action game studios to iron out kinks for the next one could work wonders. The same could be applied for the 3DS game, but with help from Arc System Works instead of Platinum.

Gsak

Guys have you seen the new Dave Cox profile picture in twitter?
It's supposed to be a hint
Wolf.jpg

And seriously, who needs Ayami Kojima with artwork like his?

castlevania-lords-of-shadow-reverie-Gabriel_Cementerio-1280px-50p.jpg

Only the many levels of aesthetics magnitude that are the gap between the two artists.
In other words... Get Ayami Kojima back.

Ayami Kojima is awesome and has to return to the series.

tumblr_l29n5d4p2s1qa7szj25.jpg

Where's that pic from? The concept is amazing!

I'm really torn on this. I'm glad that we finally get news on a new Castlevania for 3DS, but there is no IGA to be found. I guess we will get more info on E3.

Top Bottom