• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania LOS 2 WiiU? "Sorry to disappoint you"

farnham

Banned
sad if you consider the history of castlevania games on nintendo platforms. i guess that dorsnt mean anything now but harsh way to being that news to loyal fans. normally you would expect at least a reasonably respectful answer rather than a lol no. looks like nintendo is just considered a laughing stock now

sad if you consider the history of castlevania games on nintendo platforms. i guess that dorsnt mean anything now but harsh way to being that news to loyal fans. normally you would expect at least a reasonably respectful answer rather than a lol no. looks like nintendo is just considered a laughing stock now
When LOS 2 comes out to middling review scores and sales (it will) they'll rue the day they laughed at Nintendo (they won't and will get straight to work on LOS 3 that doubles down on mediocrity and will also not have a Wii U version)

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
When LOS 2 comes out to middling review scores and sales (it will) they'll rue the day they laughed at Nintendo (they won't and will get straight to work on LOS 3 that doubles down on mediocrity and will also not have a Wii U version)

I said wow. Hell hath no fury like a Nintendo fan scorned.

They said LOS 2's the last Castlevania game Mercury Steam will make. It's the end of this sub series.

And thank god for that.

lherre

Accurate

You mean history of bad/terrible sales in nintendo platforms compared to the sale in ps360 for LoS?

IrishNinja

its been said but while "no chance" is harsh, you gotta appreciate a definitive answer over a "the hardware is so exciting! id love to do something for it..." kind of one

This is gonna be a repeat of the Wii, isn't it? :(

Though this time, they won't even test the console, they just won't develop for it.

damn, i totally forgot about Elebits, might have to eat my words on that one - best launch sleeper last gen for me

They said LOS 2's the last Castlevania game Mercury Steam will make. It's the end of this sub series.

And thank god for that.

did they now? some good news!

well, until konami just takes this as a sign that they should abandon the CV series altogether, then we all collectively wait to see if their side (actually, main) hustles ever die out enough for them to sell these franchises to a competent publisher

lherre

Accurate

And thank god for that.

I think they said is the last LoS game, not anything about the developer. But not sure at all. I think Mercury wants to develop other things too.

I really had no intention of ever playing LoS2, I despise the first and hate the new series for taking over the portable games... but its omission from the Wii U really is stupid. Lord of Shadow 3DS, but nothing on Wii U? Might as well spare Nintendo systems from all Lords of Shadow imho! Gimme back my Soma Cruz

Not surprising at all. The primary fear they have is the strong possibility that it wouldn't sell well enough to justify the costs of porting it over.

farnham

Banned
Not surprising at all. The primary fear they probably have is the fact it probably wouldn't sell well enough to justify the costs of porting it over.

to be fair. they build a decent fanbase on nintendo platforms with castlevania 1-4, circle of the moon, harmony, aria and dawn of sorrow, portrait and ecclesia.

i personally bought every entry near launch (except 3d ones) on every platform and while i think los was maybe the right formula its still an incredibly bland and boring game. im glad mercury stream is quitting after this.

lherre

Accurate
castlevania games never were big sellers but the highlights of the series were on nintendo platforms (except symphony and rondo)

I think the ps2 one (LOI) sold more than any nintendo game too.

In fact, is there any site to see the sales of the franchise?

RPGCrazied

So many LoS haters in this thread. Quite sad. They said it was a reboot of the franchise. It wasn't suppose to be a side scrolling 2D game. Enough already.

I will agree with the DLC being atrociously bad.

Majmun

I'm sure we're going to have more "why 3DS but no WiiU"-moments in the future, while ignoring the fact that Nintendo handheld always had great 3rd party support.

Only Nintendo consoles strruggled with support. And it seems that this trend will continue with the WiiU

farnham

Banned
Not surprising at all. The primary fear they probably have is the fact it probably wouldn't sell well enough to justify the costs of porting it over.

porting shouldnt be as expensive as making a new version. also nintendo platforms have long history with castlevania so the chance that people would vuy the ganes is higher than say dudebro shooter no. 3891

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Should we open a thread for every multiplatform game that doesn't have a Wii U version?

Well, if we did that, we would be accused of flooding.
I'm curious... Wasn't thread whining banned now?

This sucks for Wii U owners, no matter the quality of the game. I don't like seeing so little love for the console from 3rd parties.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Best to just abandon hope for many third party games.

I also hope those with a WiiU have at least one other platform.

KageMaru

porting shouldnt be as expensive as making a new version. also nintendo platforms have long history with castlevania so the chance that people would vuy the ganes is higher than say dudebro shooter no. 3891

I would think most of today's gamers would have as much history with castlevania on Sony platforms. When talking about home consoles alone, has the series really had much history past the N64 games? Honest question since I don't know if any of the PS2 titles were ported to the GC or Wii.

farnham

Banned
I think the ps2 one (LOI) sold more than any nintendo game too.

In fact, is there any site to see the sales of the franchise?

i never said that the games sold well. in fact they almost never did except circle of moon which was a gba launch game.

lherre

Accurate
I would think most of today's gamers would have as much history with castlevania on Sony platforms. When talking about home consoles alone, has the series really had much history past the N64 games? Honest question since I don't know if any of the PS2 titles were ported to the GC or Wii.

Home console latest titles before LoS:

- Castlevania Lamment of innocence (ps2)
- Castlevania Curse of Darkness (ps2-xbox)
- Castlevania judgement (wii) (I think this is a versus game or something like that)

farnham

Banned

gba and ds?

the best games in the series aside of iv, rondo and symphony are on there (aria , dawn and ecclesia)

also did i deny a ps3 port?

farnham

Banned
Home console latest titles before LoS:

- Castlevania Lamment of innocence (ps2)
- Castlevania Curse of Darkness (ps2-xbox)
- Castlevania judgement (wii) (I think this is a versus game or something like that)

the series was pretty much a handheld series after loi on ps2 failed

Not getting this on a Nintendo console is a weird choice considering the history of the franchise and Mirror of Fate being on 3DS (since there's bound to be some overlap). Nintendo should have encouraged Konami and Mercury Steam to do it, really a missed opportunity.

But yeah, this will be the story with most games in the coming years. Better hope Nintendo pushes first party development and third party collaborations hard.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
I wonder how much crossover there is between the WiiU and PS3/Xbox360. It's still pretty early in the consoles lifecycle, so a big chunk of the sales are to hardcore gamers right. The chances of them already owning a PS3 or 360 is pretty high. Maybe third party developers look to the amount of people who only have a WiiU and think "why bother".

Are there people here on GAF who only own a WiiU? Not that many I reckon and those are the only ones Konami loses as potential customers.

radcliff

Maybe its becuase HD IGAvania with brand new hand drawn sprites is coming exclusively to Wii U! * grasps at straws *

Sentenza

Link or source?
The developer's twitter answering "Stay tuned" or similar stuff to people who asked about porting the first.
I can't be bothered looking for it right now, but I'm confident you will find something if you make your own search.

I said wow. Hell hath no fury like a Nintendo fan scorned.
Oh I don't really care, I have all 3 consoles, just the way farnham put it (if Mercury Steam thinks they're "above" Nintendo or w/e) is funny to me considering LoS 1 wasn't anything special.

I'm sure that isn't the case but there are some developers who just hate Nintendo irrationally.

I'd rather have more IGAvanias than anything.

Jethro

I can't remember the name of simpsons episode. But there is a Homer retrospect scene where he is standing next to a VW Bus with the cool guys. You see Homer coming closer and the unfriendly reaction of the guys.

It's like the Wii U Situation. Wii U goes to the developers and they say "Nope, get away"

pelican

Who bought a Wii U for 3rd party ports?

No one I hope. I know I didn't.

This is a Nintendo console. A secondary machine for Nintendo and platform exclusives. Not the primary choice to satisfy gaming needs.

tkscz

Did people actually like the first one? I remember people complaining about it, and from what little I actually played, didn't seem all that good, not bad, but not the best.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
So much bitterness and hurt feelings ITT. Still, sucks for Wii U only owners, but I guess it really will be the Wii all over again.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I'm sure that isn't the case but there are some developers who just hate Nintendo irrationally.

Business is business. Third parties arent making returns on their early WiiU HD twin porting support, CODBLOPS selling below 378 copies in the UK this past week, hardware that doesn't exactly make the porting process lickety split quick, extra development resources required for GamePad gizmo's etc. Nintendo have given developers and pubs plenty of reasons to not be fans over the years, so no, its not irrational at all.

For the 'hardcore' gamer this coming Q1 and Q2, other than Rayman Legends, the WiiU just may as well have not launched at all.

Business is business. Third parties arent making returns on their early WiiU HD twin porting support, CODBLOPS selling below 378 copies in the UK this past week, hardware that doesn't exactly make the porting process lickety split quick, extra development resources required for GamePad gizmo's etc. Nintendo have given developers and pubs plenty of reasons to not be fans over the years, so no, its not irrational at all.

For the 'hardcore' gamer this coming Q1 and Q2, other than Rayman Legends, the WiiU just may as well have not launched at all.

Nintendo's marketing team seems to agree.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the people claiming 'lords of shadow' was garbage need to tone down the damage control a bit.

It really wasn't a bad game.

EDarkness

I bought the Wii U version, but really did Activision give any reason for the general public to jump on that version of the game? People act like folks are just supposed to jump at every game out there regardless of quality. The lack of DLC is a good enough reason to totally avoid the Wii U version and anyone who really cares about such things would. I imagine friends would follow as well.

On top of that, I imagine the userbase is small as hell in the UK. Nintendo shouldn't have even bothered, to be honest.

PaulLFC

Not surprising at all. The primary fear they have is the strong possibility that it wouldn't sell well enough to justify the costs of porting it over.
Yep. Seems people saying "but the prequel was on 3DS why would they not port this to Wii U!" are missing this point. Third party games just aren't selling, especially in the UK where the developer who tweeted is based. If even Black Ops 2 can't sell over 400 copies in a week, what chance do most other third party games that aren't exclusives have?

Top Bottom