• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania LOS 2 WiiU? "Sorry to disappoint you"

farnham

Banned
Business is business. Third parties arent making returns on their early WiiU HD twin porting support, CODBLOPS selling below 378 copies in the UK this past week, hardware that doesn't exactly make the porting process lickety split quick, extra development resources required for GamePad gizmo's etc. Nintendo have given developers and pubs plenty of reasons to not be fans over the years, so no, its not irrational at all.

For the 'hardcore' gamer this coming Q1 and Q2, other than Rayman Legends, the WiiU just may as well have not launched at all.

im confident that at the end of the days the launch games will have reasonably high numbers . just like with every console

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Yeah, totally get why the paid Ubisoft for it to be a exclusive now.

Not just paid, but presumably asked to delay as well. Game has always looked complete and ready for launch, yet imagine if it had come out in November what an absolute joke the Q1 release list would be.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
lol and so begins the infinite cycle/paradox of nintendo not getting any third party support for the Wii-u because third parties are not supporting the Wii-u.

Derrick01

Banned
If its anything like the first game, Wii U owners won't be missing much. Wii U owners have Bayonetta 2 coming soon, why would they want an inferior game like C: LOS2?

If both games are anything like their first games then Wii U owners will miss out and get the more boring game. Fancy moves don't mean shit when the game is drop dead boring.

Wow. Developers wont even port current gen games to Wii U. I'm dreading to see what's going to happen when PS4/720 come out. Oh well, guess I'll just love my Wii U for Nintendo games.

Derrick01

Banned

They put all of their effort into making games that have fighting game combat and forget to make the rest of the game interesting. I seriously could not even begin to care how deep your combat is if I can't stay awake for more than 30 minutes.

It's funny how much the internet likes to jerk off about how deep their games are when they're only talking about 1 part, when in actuality they probably make some of the most shallow games.

BlackJace

They put all of their effort into making games that have fighting game combat and forget to make the rest of the game interesting. I seriously could not even begin to care how deep your combat is if I can't stay awake for more than 30 minutes.
They make action games with awesome combat? What more do you want?

It's funny how much the internet likes to jerk off about how deep their games are when they're only talking about 1 part, when in actuality they probably make some of the most shallow games.

Pretty ironic that this attitude has led to DmC :)

fart town usa

Gold Member
Wow. Developers wont even port current gen games to Wii U. I'm dreading to see what's going to happen when PS4/720 come out. Oh well, guess I'll just love my Wii U for Nintendo games.

Yep.

Anyone who bought a WiiU expecting it to be their new source for 3rd party titles have their head in the clouds.

Platinum, Nintendo software and ZombiU. Those were my reasons for getting a WiiU.

WiiU is going to be a dreamcast/gcn/saturn type console and I'm perfectly OK with that. It's actually pretty exciting knowing I'm going to have a bunch of obscure games.

lol and so begins the infinite cycle/paradox of nintendo not getting any third party support for the Wii-u because third parties are not supporting the Wii-u.

gosh, if only there were a non-third-party company that only made games for Nintendo platforms in some kind of position to break this cycle

Derrick01

Banned
Pretty ironic that this attitude has led to DmC :)

I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being the most interesting game in the series because of it. Well, I would since it's Ninja Theory making it, but my point is the other games are extremely dull and boring to play. I still haven't made it past the half way point of 4 on PC because of how boring it is.

Either way I'm not buying DmC so don't try to play that card.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...

I feel like PG games are all about deep gameplay mechanics and for the type of games they make that's perfect.

FGMPR

Banned

If the combat is deep and you are still getting bored 30mins in, perhaps the genre just isn't for you?

andthebeatgoeson

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the people claiming 'lords of shadow' was garbage need to tone down the damage control a bit.

It really wasn't a bad game.

It doesn't even matter if it was a bad game. It's a 3rd party deciding not to get involved or port to the system. Last time we had some vague numbers, it looked like 100K was enough to get a profit from a port. It's Konami and they front runner for next gen in JPN doesn't get a wiff. I guess you can say we should have known but there seems to be something big missing in these types of stories that cannot be justified with forum conjecture. We need a good journalist to unbiasedly get to the bottom of this. It would help with purchase decisions. Is it the hardware? Animosity? Apathy?

What if the other two launch above $399? Do we really expect them to launch less than $399? Did we somehow forget what happens to consoles that launch above $399? The 360 had a slow start and it will be much more difficult now that it has direct competition. Unless Sony will launch after 2013. But I don't see the 720 and the PS4 hitting 10 million in one year. Maybe combined but the industry seems to be on a path to sinking.

That was my thinking that 3rd parties would plot that out and decide to test the Nintendo market with some quick ports. But I guess not. I'll still get some games via steam and it's why I'm going WiiU/PC for now. I guess I win for the PC part with steam sales and will just be on a 2 year delay. Backlog it up, Nintendo 1st party games and just wait till things settle, then decide if I need the 720 or PS4 in 2014 or 2015. Just seems weird. Maybe they'll copy the 2nd screen idea because off TV play is phenomenal for me. Absolutely a system seller.

I'm pretty set on going Nintendo only from here on out, but I would like to play Castlevania and Metal Gear and stuff on it. I'd be willing to fork over a few dollars for these games, but clearly their publishers don't see porting them as a profitable venture.

Operation Nightfall perhaps?

Derrick01

Banned
If the combat is deep and you are still getting bored 30mins in, perhaps the genre just isn't for you?

I've enjoyed more games in the genre than games platinum has put out, so is it a genre problem or a them problem? I enjoyed all 5 god of wars to various degrees and really enjoyed the first Lords of Shadow, despite the "bad" combat systems in them. Hell Dante's Inferno wasn't even that horrible either and I got some mild enjoyment out of that, probably because I rented it.

BlackJace

I've enjoyed more games in the genre than games platinum has put out, so is it a genre problem or a them problem? I enjoyed all 5 god of wars to various degrees and really enjoyed the first Lords of Shadow, despite the "bad" combat systems in them. Hell Dante's Inferno wasn't even that horrible either and I got some mild enjoyment out of that, probably because I rented it.

So you enjoy the non-combat aspects of action games more? How does that make any sense? I'm getting a contrarian vibe from you, always having to take an obtuse stance from everyone else. I may be wrong, but I find it puzzling how you can single out an entire developer (who is known for their excellence in the genre) as being "boring" and unenjoyable, yet say you found a modicum of enjoyment out of a game with admittably worse combat system.

PJX

A lot of people did. But we seem to be going into a pattern now where every major third party release not released on WiiU is going to be ripped on by certain WiiU owners. Crysis 3, LOS 2, any guesses to what's next?

I don't own a Wii U
I don't intend to buy one
I'm not even a Nintendo fan.

Dat GAF hyperbole.

Hey don't blame me because the developer made a game with:

Horrible frame rates
Horrible boss battles
Stupid mini games
Bad camera system
Bland gameplay

I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being the most interesting game in the series because of it. Well, I would since it's Ninja Theory making it, but my point is the other games are extremely dull and boring to play. I still haven't made it past the half way point of 4 on PC because of how boring it is.

Either way I'm not buying DmC so don't try to play that card.

So you enjoy the more shallow entries in the genre over those with a lot of depth in their combat system because of the stuff surrounding the actual gameplay. But it's always you who's bemoaning the dumbing down of modern games.

Go figure.

Derrick01

Banned
So you enjoy the non-combat aspects of action games more? How does that make any sense?

Because there's more than 1 part to a game? I feel like I'm talking to a platinum employee here with you not understanding that lol. The stories are entertaining enough to go through, the bosses and setpieces are enjoyable and as a matter of fact the combat isn't as horrible as platinum fans would tell you. They look at those games like it's The Walking Dead with no gameplay at all just because you can't press the stick in 7 directions and tap 14 buttons to get Kratos to do 100 different moves.

danmaku

its been said but while "no chance" is harsh, you gotta appreciate a definitive answer over a "the hardware is so exciting! id love to do something for it..." kind of one

I agree. Much better than the usual PR bullshit: "we'll think about it", "maybe in the future", "not now, but we'll consider every possibility" and so on...

lherre

Accurate
Oh I don't really care, I have all 3 consoles, just the way farnham put it (if Mercury Steam thinks they're "above" Nintendo or w/e) is funny to me considering LoS 1 wasn't anything special.

I'm sure that isn't the case but there are some developers who just hate Nintendo irrationally.

I'd rather have more IGAvanias than anything.

Mercury steam doesn't decide where tu put the game so ... I think they aren't the ones to "blame".

Is Iga still working on Konami? Latest news I have I think he wasn't working anymore for Konami.

Foffy

Banned
If both games are anything like their first games then Wii U owners will miss out and get the more boring game. Fancy moves don't mean shit when the game is drop dead boring.

I used to believe you were reasonable. Now you just seem like a bitter old man, striking his cane at anything not made when you wore diapers and had Little Tikes toys.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
The Wii's first year had better support than this.

I don't really care about this Castlevania game, but the more i hear about the lack of 3rd party support, the more I think i should have waited before buying this console and just wait for a price drop and more 1st party games.

BlackJace

Because there's more than 1 part to a game? I feel like I'm talking to a platinum employee here with you not understanding that lol. The stories are entertaining enough to go through, the bosses and setpieces are enjoyable and as a matter of fact the combat isn't as horrible as platinum fans would tell you. They look at those games like it's The Walking Dead with no gameplay at all just because you can't press the stick in 7 directions and tap 14 buttons to get Kratos to do 100 different moves.

What? Now you're generalizing fans.

I'm getting a contrarian vibe from you, always having to take an obtuse stance from everyone else. I may be wrong, but I find it puzzling how you can single out an entire developer (who is known for their excellence in the genre) as being "boring" and unenjoyable, yet say you found a modicum of enjoyment out of a game with admittably worse combat system.

Aren't you the one who constantly talks about how games are dumbed down?

Genki

I agree. Much better than the usual PR bullshit: "we'll think about it", "maybe in the future", "not now, but we'll consider every possibility" and so on...

It also makes their comments about a possible PC port of LoS 1 more interesting...

IMBored

It doesn't even matter if it was a bad game. It's a 3rd party deciding not to get involved or port to the system. Last time we had some vague numbers, it looked like 100K was enough to get a profit from a port. It's Konami and they front runner for next gen in JPN doesn't get a wiff. I guess you can say we should have known but there seems to be something big missing in these types of stories that cannot be justified with forum conjecture. We need a good journalist to unbiasedly get to the bottom of this. It would help with purchase decisions. Is it the hardware? Animosity? Apathy?

Don't forget the WiiU is a brand new system, porting to an new system is always costlier.
It is a cost there're goin to have to take eventually, unless they are want to make a new engine that woks on WiiU PS4 720, waiting for Nintendo to release better dev tools or don't think the WiiU will have the longevity to be worth the effort.

Someone's bitter...

And LoS was pretty good.

I thought it was more than pretty good. But yeah, anyone that claims any game not coming to a console is a good thing is pretty sad. The more options there are, the more chance of someone buying the console and supporting it.

The Boat

They'll release a port of LoS made by 2 people in two months, won't market it and tag it full price while a pack with 1 and 2 will be released on PS360. Later they will say LoS didn't sell on Wii U, so they won't make any games for it. Alternitavely they'll say they want to make games that focus on the unique controller.

Effect

Do it like me, go Wii U/PC and pray that they don't neglect PC.

Pretty much is my plan going forward. I'm pass the point of caring or even remotely stressing over third party support. They've made their decisions and any moaning on forums isn't going to fix that. I do believe Nintendo has made offers and tried to do their part. Nothing makes me think they are trying to treat them bad. However it's a two way street and they don't seem inclined to move themselves. Fine. I look at it as they clearly don't want my money. I felt that way about them on the Wii when they would just drop a game with no push at all. If they didn't feel their product was worth actively trying to sell me on it why should I put my earned money toward? Why should I care about it when they don't? Just to show support? I foolishly did that at the start of the Wii's generation until I wised up. Never again.

Third party games that do show up on the system and seem to have effort and push behind I'll pay attention to and even play when they interest me. Those that don't appear I won't spend any time on. That means more money in my wallet for other things. With this in mind when I say I'm sticking with Wii U/PC that doesn't mean I'll be buying these third party games on PC. There are other titles that are PC exclusive that will no doubt and are more worthy of my time and money.

KageMaru

gba and ds?

the best games in the series aside of iv, rondo and symphony are on there (aria , dawn and ecclesia)

also did i deny a ps3 port?

Perhaps you missed the part where I said I'm talking about home console alone?

Also I never said you denied the PS3 port. My point is that Castlevania hasn't had any history on a Nintendo home console for two generations now. Handhelds have no place when talking about a console game.

I'm sure that isn't the case but there are some developers who just hate Nintendo irrationally.

This is very wrong.

Business is business. Third parties arent making returns on their early WiiU HD twin porting support, CODBLOPS selling below 378 copies in the UK this past week, hardware that doesn't exactly make the porting process lickety split quick, extra development resources required for GamePad gizmo's etc. Nintendo have given developers and pubs plenty of reasons to not be fans over the years, so no, its not irrational at all.

For the 'hardcore' gamer this coming Q1 and Q2, other than Rayman Legends, the WiiU just may as well have not launched at all.

To be fair, supporting the gamepad is not required and doesn't really use that much resources. Devs can so easily just slap a map or menu on the pad and call it a day.

edit: This "WiiU loses 3rd party support" dont hit me that hard when the "support" is made of lame games like 3d castlevania and crysis.

Seriously? Crysis 3 looks awesome. What a silly post... "MEH Wii U didn't need those games anyway because they suck". Same with GTAV, Bioshock Infinite, Dead Space 3, South Park, Devil May Cry, Metal Gear Rising, and more. Alien Colonial Marines, though? That's gonna be a good one!!

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
If its anything like the first game, Wii U owners won't be missing much. Wii U owners have Bayonetta 2 coming soon, why would they want an inferior game like C: LOS2?

Whole heartedly disagree

Old and not funny. It was never funny to begin with.
Fully agree, Konami are nothing like Capcom

andthebeatgoeson

Don't forget the WiiU is a brand new system, porting to an new system is always costlier.
It is a cost there're goin to have to take eventually, unless they are want to make a new engine that woks on WiiU PS4 720, waiting for Nintendo to release better dev tools or don't think the WiiU will have the longevity to be worth the effort.

Agree. But they are not starting from scratch (porting) and it's a chance to build on a new userbase. And if budgets are still in the 10's of millions, it may be worth another few million to see if you can capture more people.

farnham

Banned
Has anyone posted that upcoming Wii U games list? If not then they should. Wii U owners should be begging for this in comparison to what they're going to get.
while i agree that the list is barren

what we know now is not the same with what we are going to get

also begging? why i have the other consoles. if anything i would want this for offtv play on wiiu but i can play it with other consoles

SmokyDave

I'm pretty set on going Nintendo only from here on out, but I would like to play Castlevania and Metal Gear and stuff on it. I'd be willing to fork over a few dollars for these games, but clearly their publishers don't see porting them as a profitable venture.

Operation Nightfall perhaps?

You're set on going Nintendo only even though the games you want to play are on other systems?

Huh. That's an interesting approach.

farnham

Banned

i agree picking up bayonetta is a huge mistake from nintendo. game is going to be horrible. even sega wanted to cancel it.

Top Bottom