• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CAVE restructured - No more dedicated divisions, but not quite dead yet

@MUWANdo

Banned
http://www.4gamer.net/games/999/G999905/20130518005/

The writing's been on the wall for a while now, but it finally happened.

Edit:
Sorry, but the era is not actually over yet. Someone pointed out to me that the article doesn't actually say that this is happening now. This is an industry wide assessment/analysis by 4Gamer as part of their reports on the end of the financial year. No one bothered to read the introduction to the article (including me!) and everyone jumped into the summary on Cave.

4Gamer's analysis is saying that based on the business trends of the company and their results, this is the likely route they will take in the future. It's an analysis I think most people will agree with, but it's not something the company has confirmed or commented on. Cave's year end report to shareholders should come out mid-July. If there are any actual announcements about a major shift, that's where it will be.

Edit2:
duckroll said:
The analysis assessment by the 4Gamer reporter is based on Cave's 3rd Quarter shareholder's report. I think what is stated is not a full representation of what was actually stated in the report. I'll post some slides and explain.

nnvv352.png

eWX4Pqs.png

SRx7EiE.png

What has happened is that Cave has restructured their company and moved to new offices recently. As such, the structural change means there is no longer a Consumer Game Division. But it also means there is no longer a Social Game Division or Online Game Division. Instead the entire company is one department meant to leverage on the skills and experience of all the staff to make development more agile.

The new management structure will focus on 3 points of development:
- Existing Social Games
- Existing Online Games
- New Products

It is important to note that what they're saying is that they're going to continue supporting existing services, while creating new products as well.

They're looking to target audiences in-between heavy core users (who play shmups for example) and light casual users. There are other slides I didn't post, which basically also implies heavily that yes, they will be focusing mostly on Smartphones and online distribution of titles.

The last slide there shows the sort of new upcoming products they are developing. ARPU is Average Revenue Per User, and the horizontal axis represents the Social aspect of a product from low on the left to high on the right. In the top left corner is "Bullet Hell Shooters" specifically, which are very high ARPU games with almost no social aspects. The fact that they're still looking to release new stuff close to that range indicates that they're still making shooters, and will probably not abandon arcade development entirely. It's possible that most of the future shmup ports released by Cave themselves will be Smartphone only, but maybe that doesn't rule out arcade ports from other publishers?

tl;dr:
- Cave restructured but they didn't fire everyone from their gaming division
- They still plan to make games with high revenue per user with no social content (ie: shmups)
- Not entirely dead yet, business as usual

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
But what does this mean for me?

No more new shmups. I guess some third party company will port their older works to other platforms in the future?

This really sucks was a huge fan of cave games .
Just did not want to buy a 360 to only play there games they will be missed .

The entire genre is an afterthought. You think these would sell anymore on any platform? lol

Yes they should have been ports on 360 & PS3 on DD world wide .
Selling the games only on 360 on disc was a mistake .

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
The entire genre is an afterthought. You think these would sell anymore on any platform? lol

They could have done better if they were PSN/XBLA titles rather than retail titles on the 360 IMO.

Haruhater

Banned
JESUS CHRIST!

So, does this mean that Treasure is now the only professional, non-indie, non-doujin game company that still produces STGs?

Risette

A Good Citizen
They could have done better if they were PSN/XBLA titles rather than retail titles on the 360 IMO.
They wouldn't have. Guwange bombed too.

Few people wanted to play these games because gaming is full of scrubs. It's just an unfortunate fact.

This is sad. Clearly they shouldn't have canceled those Vita games.

Now all they'll be doing is Shirotsuku and other lame stuff.

Only making stuff for the Xbox was a silly choice. Also selling it all for ridiculous amounts of money. I can practically hear their bad decision-making sha-cho in my head.

That guy must have been so happy when he realized how easy it was to destroy that door.

They wouldn't have. Guwange bombed too.

Few people wanted to play these games because gaming is full of scrubs. It's just an unfortunate fact.

Guwange is a 13 year old game that was on MAME for years was a waste of time .
Cave wanted to sell expensive disc of ports , when they should have been on DD .

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
I love all the people going "THEY WOULD BE SAVED IF THEY WERE ON PS3"

Yeah no, so stop already, it's embarrassing.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I'm interested. Tell me how.
The arcade gaming audience does not care what platform they are on. This is the same audience that drops a thousand or more per game to have the PCB at home. They are also not interested in other console games -- they only want the arcade ports. It is simply a small audience.

It's best to educate yourself before playing armchair industry analyst.
Are you saying there is no audience for vertical shooters on the PS3?
Yes. G.rev's efforts on PS3 have sold about as much as they did on the 360 or less; Ketsui will likely be the same.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
The arcade gaming audience does not care what platform they are on. This is the same audience that drops a thousand or more per game to have the PCB at home. They are also not interested in other console games -- they only want the arcade ports. It is simply a small audience.

It's best to educate yourself before playing armchair industry analyst.

That is ridiculous. The audience that will buy the game is not restricted to the people who will spend thousands on an arcade cabinet. If that were so, they have doomed themselves right from the start. If this is the reason they develop on the xbox exclusively, well, that is a pretty good explanation for why they are now online/social only.

Top Bottom