• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cave Story 3DS |OT| Definitive version, for those of us who have never played it

DaBuddaDa

Hey boys, lets release this the same week as Super Mario 3D Land, Harry Potter, Call of Duty and Elder Scrolls 5. That can't be a terrible idea at all.

Tyeforce said:
I'm not the only one here who got this game instead of MW3 at GameStop's midnight release, am I...? XD
I tried to pick up this and MGS HD Collection at the MW3 midnight launch and my GameStop wouldn't let me.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
DaBuddaDa said:
Hey boys, lets release this the same week as Super Mario 3D Land, Harry Potter, Call of Duty and Elder Scrolls 5. That can't be a terrible idea at all.
I think the title's pricetag will have way bigger effect on the game's commercial success than in what week tilte was released.

The game looks great, it's getting really good reviews, but it sucks the price tag and release date will hurt its sales.

I still want it though. Looks awesome.

Berordn

El Pescado said:
I tried to pick up this and MGS HD Collection at the MW3 midnight launch and my GameStop wouldn't let me.
Mine let me (though I preordered it that day if it makes a difference), make sure to complain to someone about it.

Anyway,
the inner wall is a cruel, cruel mistress.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
What the hell marc^o^ at least include pricing and dates in the OP.
We go from the AC:R thread to this. Something in the middle? ;)

Nice reviews section tho!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
OK, I gotta ask, does this game pull off 60 fps? I'm still searching for one high quality 3DS game that manages 60 fps in 3D. Would be such a nice thing to see and great for this game.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Dash Kappei said:
What the hell marc^o^ at least include pricing and dates in the OP.
We go from the AC:R thread to this. Something in the middle? ;)

Nice reviews section tho!
Done :)

depward said:
Anyone have any impressions? Kinda thinking about picking this up but with Mario coming soon, may have to wait.
I just picked it up from GameStop. I'm going to make dinner right now, but I'll post some impressions tonight.

I was on the fence about getting it, but I played the PSP one and loved and haven't paid for it in any way until now, so I'm glad to support the game by buying it. I liked the idea of adding to my collection of quirky, maybe-going-out-of-print 3DS games, also including Devil Survivor and Bit.Trip Saga. The positive reviews put me over the edge.

Got it right in time from GameSpot apparently, I got a shrink-wrapped copy but "gut" is written on the side of it in Sharpie.

I just played up through about half of the second area. It's been awhile since I played through it, can't remember where to find the gum.

Gameplay-wise, it's Cave Story. Controls exactly how I remember. I haven't done a back-and-forth with the PSP version, but I haven't had any problems with the jumping physics or anything, the mechanics are as solid as I remember. You can use the d-pad or circle pad to move, b and x are both jump, y and a are both shoot, shoulder buttons are toggle weapons.

I know the graphics have been divisive, but I think the game looks great. I'll always like the original style better, but it's a really good and interesting reinterpretation. It seems a lot darker and far in its palette and atmosphere. It's definitely lost some of the original's charm. Whereas I thought the original had the feel of a kind of storybook adventure, this is one less whimsical and inviting.

The 3D really, really surprised me. Some areas, notably the hub town look amazing with tree branches popping out of the screen, streams flowing from the background to the foreground that give a really impressive sense of depth, it's just really well done. Granted the hub town is a lot more impressive than either of the two areas I've been to, but even though they're not as impressive the egg corridor and the grass area don't look bad by any means. While the camera is always in pretty much the same spot, it subtlety rotates left and right once in awhile to give a better view of things. Sometimes items like the health and missile upgrades end up being hidden behind something when you get close because of this, and I thought that was kind of cool.

The egg corridor is the most affect area tonally so far. Maybe I'm just remembering wrong but I don't remember it seeming so creepy and industrial.

Anyway, my batter light went red so I'm taking a break, but from what I remember the game is pretty short so I'll likely finish it tomorrow. I'll post more impressions if anything sticks out.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Has anyone experienced any of the "new/expanded" areas that NIS repeatedly mention in their pre-release interviews/PR? The only review I've read that even acknowledges them is the Joystiq one and that review basically just mentions that they're there.

LuchaShaq said:
I really don't understand why this is a 40$ cart instead of a 5$ download.
Well, the game is totally redone with 3D graphics (3D both ways, as in polygonal and stereoscopic).

I agree $40 is a bit much, but $5 is ridiculously low for the amount of work that's been put into it. I would have been fine with $30, $20 might be the sweet spot for some people, but I don't see how you can look at the game and say it's worth an eighth the price of any other 3DS game.

The thing working against the game is that you can play it for free, but as most people who have played it will tell you it's worth paying for. Honestly I really doubt I would have bought it if I had paid for any other version, certainly not at $40, but as far as design it's easily one of the best 3DS games out right now. Not that that's necessarily saying much, but if it weren't for the free version I doubt many people would bat an eye over this being full-priced based on its quality.

Esiquio

Just got my copy from Amazon. Free Prime w/1day shipping for $4 bucks = win. Now all I need is the 3DS....

The slipcover for Cave Story 3D is one of those 3D plastic things, and the instruction manual is all black & white. Anyone else get annoyed by that? I remember back in the day the Super Mario Kart instruction manual was full-color and amazing. The pictures in particular are dark and small. I know I may sound like a cranky old man (I'm in my 20's) but for $40 I would have liked something with higher production values, maybe an art insert, too.

Obviously that's just nit-picking, I am really excited to play this game for the first time. I hear that the dev quit his job recently to pursue game creating full-time, and this game came with enough high recommendations to make it an instant buy for me.

That said, how much time can I expect to get out of this game? Looks like there's no multi-player aspect and I'm not sure if DLC is possible on the 3DS...wait, I remember that the Layton game for the DS had downloadable puzzles...so where is that data saved? Is there an extra-large partition set aside on the cart that is normally reserved for the save game states that allows this possibility?

Esiquio said:
Just got my copy from Amazon. Free Prime w/1day shipping for $4 bucks = win. Now all I need is the 3DS....

The slipcover for Cave Story 3D is one of those 3D plastic things, and the instruction manual is all black & white. Anyone else get annoyed by that? I remember back in the day the Super Mario Kart instruction manual was full-color and amazing. The pictures in particular are dark and small. I know I may sound like a cranky old man (I'm in my 20's) but for $40 I would have liked something with higher production values, maybe an art insert, too.

Obviously that's just nit-picking, I am really excited to play this game for the first time. I hear that the dev quit his job recently to pursue game creating full-time, and this game came with enough high recommendations to make it an instant buy for me.

That said, how much time can I expect to get out of this game? Looks like there's no multi-player aspect and I'm not sure if DLC is possible on the 3DS...wait, I remember that the Layton game for the DS had downloadable puzzles...so where is that data saved? Is there an extra-large partition set aside on the cart that is normally reserved for the save game states that allows this possibility?
Eh, when I was younger I cared about the manuals and stuff, but really you're paying for a game, not an instruction book.

You're right, there's no multiplayer, DLC wouldn't even really work in this game.

The game is pretty short. Most people play through it twice. There's three endings. The bad ending and sort of good ending are really easy to figure out, and it's easy to save at a certain point, see the bad ending, and then go back and do the sort of good ending. The "true" ending requires doing specific things at specific times that there's basically no way you'd ever figure out without a guide.

I'd say you'd get maybe 12 hours of play or so going through twice. Much like Star Fox though, I personally bought it because it's one of those games I get an urge to play through every once in awhile.

Esiquio

dr3upmushroom said:
Eh, when I was younger I cared about the manuals and stuff, but really you're paying for a game, not an instruction book.

You're right, there's no multiplayer, DLC wouldn't even really work in this game.

The game is pretty short. Most people play through it twice. There's three endings. The bad ending and sort of good ending are really easy to figure out, and it's easy to save at a certain point, see the bad ending, and then go back and do the sort of good ending. The "true" ending requires doing specific things at specific times that there's basically no way you'd ever figure out without a guide.

I'd say you'd get maybe 12 hours of play or so going through twice. Much like Star Fox though, I personally bought it because it's one of those games I get an urge to play through every once in awhile.

Short, huh? Weird, I swear I've heard this was an epic game before. Thanks for the reply. Keep in mind that I'm an extremely thorough player that must see everything in a game, so I'll probably stretch out that play-time a bit. Who knows what was added in this 3DS version...perhaps it's a bit longer.

Esiquio said:
Short, huh? Weird, I swear I've heard this was an epic game before. Thanks for the reply. Keep in mind that I'm an extremely thorough player that must see everything in a game, so I'll probably stretch out that play-time a bit. Who knows what was added in this 3DS version...perhaps it's a bit longer.
I definitely wouldn't call it epic. It's a really, really fun game to explore though, and there's hidden items (missiles and health like Metroid) three endings, a couple hidden weapons, plus like I said it's just a really fun game that I get the urge to play every once in awhile. It almost works to its favor that it's short because whenever you feel like replaying it you can beat over a weekend or whatever. This, Star Fox, and Viewtiful Joe are all like that for me, a at least once or twice a year I pull each of them out and replay them. Well, not so much this so far since I beat it for the first time last year, but I definitely, definitely see it being that way for me. Especially if you don't use a guide you can definitely get some mileage out of the game even though it's short.

The story and characters are really charming, the atmosphere is really well done (it was in the original and I'm actually surprised at how much I really like what they've done with this remake, originally I was basically considering it an interesting reinterpretation, now I'm liking it at least as much as the original) and I don't want to ruin anything but despite having some backtracking and fetch quests, the gameplay stays really fresh, there's a few times the gameplay changes up and all of the weapons are very different from eachother and fun to use.

I'm debating whether or not I'm going to go for the true ending, I've heard it's extremely hard and I used my Life Pot before beating
the Core
, plus I have the
machine gun
right now, which I guess isn't recommended. I really don't want to get in a situation where I'm stuck.

All of the changes from the original game have been very, very minor. For example, the door you use to enter the Waterway used to be a lion's head, now it's just an ordinary door, which is kind of lame but it matches the rest of the scenery in the game better than the random head.

In the waterway, instead of just random, hard to follow bubble flying all over the place there's pipes shooting streams so you can more clearly see why you're getting thrown around.

I'm pretty sure the room where you get the
Booster Lv .8
has been changed because I saw in walkthroughs that supposedly there's a really tough jump if you want to get the real ending. I just jumped down the pit the first time so I never tried in the original, but in 3D there was no huge pit, you just jump over a really small gap and continue on your way.

It's nice to see this game turned out really well.

I didn't doubt it but do you guys remember the thread that revealed the screens of it???

People acted like it was the worst looking game ever but then again, par for the course for this place.

This bodes well for Ninja Gaiden.

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
It's nice to see this game turned out really well.

I didn't doubt it but do you guys remember the thread that revealed the screens of it???

People acted like it was the worst looking game ever but then again, par for the course for this place.

This bodes well for Ninja Gaiden.
If I remember right the game looks a lot different now then when screens were first released. I'm curious to check now.

No matter how good it looks though, most people's issue is that it's known for it's retro look and it shouldn't have been made polygonal.

I think it looks awesome though. The original will probably always be what I first think of when I think of Cave Story, but the translation to 3D is as good as I can imagine it being. Would have been nice if it was 60fps but the background all look amazing and the 3D is done really well. CombIned, though the game loses some of it's charm it feels much more like you're in this enormous cavern to me. That and the shift to a darker color pallette and a less whimsical design really add something to the game, especially later on when
the game goes from being about cute bunny people to the more serious segments.

M3d10n

dark10x said:
So...anyone care to comment on performance?
lunchwithyuzo said:
It was confirmed 30fps awhile ago. Wait for Mario Kart or Tekken. Or pick up Monkey Ball.
The PC version and DSi versions run at 30fps too. I never saw the PSP version, so I don't know about that.

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Don't understand why most retail stores don't carry this yet. They have the shovelware 3DS titles, but don't carry Cave Story 3D!
Maybe they're expecting SM3L to exit, then flood the stores with Cave Story carts for targeting better the soccer moms and ignorant granpas!

I wish.

However, do you know what would be better? A Cave Story 3DSware, that use the widescreen (like the PSP port) and maybe a simple layering 3D effect (like that in Kirby's Adventure trailer) - of course, with all the new content for the Mac version.

If they make this, Nicalis can overprice it like Shantae and I'll buy it anyway - heck, I'll buy also Shantae in spite of my wallet!

Santerestil said:
However, do you know what would be better? A Cave Story 3DSware, that use the widescreen (like the PSP port) and maybe a simple layering 3D effect (like that in Kirby's Adventure trailer) - of course, with all the new content for the Mac version.

If they make this, Nicalis can overprice it like Shantae and I'll buy it anyway - heck, I'll buy also Shantae in spite of my wallet!
Mac version has more content?!

I don't how some people decide how much a game is worth. Shantae is one of the best Metroidvania style games to come out in quite a awhile, and one of the only 2D ones. The animation is awesome, the world was fun to explore with a good amount of secrets, the boss fights were good, all in all it's one of my favorite DS games.

It wouldn't necessarily be one of your favorite games, but if you're at all interested in 2D platforming/exploration games I don't see how the game isn't worth $12. How low would it have to go for to pay for it?

And it's really lame they didn't include the original Cave Story in 3D. The Classic mode is kind of cool looking, but it's just ridiculous they didn't include the original. I'm don't think 3D would have added anything for it so I wouldn't have cared either way about that, but there's absolutely no reason for the exclusion.

jgkspsx

I would have bought this day 1 if it included a full-resolution version of the original game. Many pixel-based DS games (no pun intended) look bad on the 3DS, in my experience. They probably didn't want to cut into sales of the DSiWare title, but I will never buy that, so...

dr3upmushroom said:
Mac version has more content?!
Respect the original version? Yes, of course!
dr3upmushroom said:
It wouldn't necessarily be one of your favorite games, but if you're at all interested in 2D platforming/exploration games I don't see how the game isn't worth $12. How low would it have to go for to pay for it?
1) For you are $12, but for me are 12 €UROS. Exchange rates DON'T help me.

2) It could be one of the best DSIware, but why it's the only at 12 where all the others excellent titles are at 8? Supplies are infinite, no costs for shipping and packaging, etc. And others Wayforward titles cost less. What is this, a "cult status" tax?​

@MUWANdo

Banned
M3d10n said:
The PC version and DSi versions run at 30fps too. I never saw the PSP version, so I don't know about that.

The PC version runs at 50, can't comment on the DSi version because it's still not out in my region, one year later.

dr3upmushroom said:
And it's really lame they didn't include the original Cave Story in 3D. The Classic mode is kind of cool looking, but it's just ridiculous they didn't include the original. I'm don't think 3D would have added anything for it so I wouldn't have cared either way about that, but there's absolutely no reason for the exclusion.

One of the NIS reps cited cart space as a reason for it being omitted.

Santerestil said:
Respect the original version? Yes, of course!

1) For you are $12, but for me are 12 €UROS. Exchange rates DON'T help me.

2) It could be one of the best DSIware, but why it's the only at 12 where all the others excellent titles are at 8? Supplies are infinite, no costs for shipping and packaging, etc. And others Wayforward titles cost less. What is this, a "cult status" tax?​

I believe the price is directly related to the filesize - Nintendo sets the prices, and the larger your games the higher the minimum price (at least for WiiWare); this game was right up against the cap, so it was priced accordingly. It's on iOS now for $7 or something, so you can exchange the cult status tax for a inferior control scheme discount, I guess.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
@MUWANdo said:
I believe the price is directly related to the filesize - Nintendo sets the prices, and the larger your games the higher the minimum price (at least for WiiWare); this game was right up against the cap, so it was priced accordingly. It's on iOS now for $7 or something, so you can exchange the cult status tax for a inferior control scheme discount, I guess.

That's just not true. The Strong Bad games are gigantic, with each being over 300 blocks, but they're $10. Whereas BIT TRIP BEAT is over 300 blocks as well, but $6. And Mega Man 9 is a tiny 66 blocks, but $10. Just an example. It's likely a larger game will be priced higher because it 'likely' has more content / production involved, but not always.

Berordn

nincompoop said:
That sounds like a load of horse shit to me.
Considering pretty much every sprite from the original version is crammed in there, it's hard to believe. Though it pretty much is the original version anyway. The new content comes out to equal about one whole area in terms of length, but it's all chopped up and spread through the game.

They could've just as easily done a voxel mode for the original graphics or something since I highly doubt this is using even a third of the total cartridge space.

@MUWANdo

Banned
nincompoop said:
That sounds like a load of horse shit to me.

Straight from the horse's mouth...

Unfortunately, Cave Story 3D will not have the original game or DSiWare version as a hidden bonus. "That’s one thing we were talking about too, but the problem was the amount of space on the card size," Niida said. "We sort of squeezed everything in and at this point we don’t have enough space for it."

EvilMario said:
That's just not true. The Strong Bad games are gigantic, with each being over 300 blocks, but they're $10. Whereas BIT TRIP BEAT is over 300 blocks as well, but $6. And Mega Man 9 is a tiny 66 blocks, but $10. Just an example. It's likely a larger game will be priced higher because it 'likely' has more content / production involved, but not always.

I've been told by guys who worked on WiiWare stuff that once their game hits a certain size they're not allowed to charge under a certain amount and that the threshold for the number of games sold before they see any payment goes up, and the bigger the feature set the more "encouragement" they receive to raise the price, to the point where devs deliberately omit features in order to keep a game in a certain price point. I know some of these restrictions aren't in place for DSiWare but they're definitely a factor that determines WiiWare pricing.

jgkspsx said:
I would have bought this day 1 if it included a full-resolution version of the original game. Many pixel-based DS games (no pun intended) look bad on the 3DS, in my experience. They probably didn't want to cut into sales of the DSiWare title, but I will never buy that, so...
DSi Ware games seem to look a lot better to me on 3DS than DS cartridge games. I've never played the DSi version of Cave Story but the Art Style games, Shantae, Starship Defense, and the few other games I've bought don't suffer from the muted colors and blurriness you get with a DS cart.

So I'm not sure why you'll never buy it but if that was why, I wouldn't worry about it.

Santerestil said:
2) It could be one of the best DSIware, but why it's the only at 12 where all the others excellent titles are at 8? Supplies are infinite, no costs for shipping and packaging, etc. And others Wayforward titles cost less. What is this, a "cult status" tax?[/indent]
I don't know why it costs more, but it's an awesome game. Looks loads better than Flip Champs. I would think of it more as a quality tax than a cult status tax.

M3d10n said:

DSi version is 60FPS for sure. I would know, I have the game :D

It's a great port all around.

dr3upmushroom said:
DSi Ware games seem to look a lot better to me on 3DS than DS cartridge games. I've never played the DSi version of Cave Story but the Art Style games, Shantae, Starship Defense, and the few other games I've bought don't suffer from the muted colors and blurriness you get with a DS cart.

Absolute rubbish. It's a placebo effect and nothing more. DSiWare games run in exactly the same resolution as every other DS/DSi game and receive exactly the same upscaling treatment.

Berordn said:
Considering pretty much every sprite from the original version is crammed in there, it's hard to believe. Though it pretty much is the original version anyway. The new content comes out to equal about one whole area in terms of length, but it's all chopped up and spread through the game.

They could've just as easily done a voxel mode for the original graphics or something since I highly doubt this is using even a third of the total cartridge space.

I doubt that it's that low. It's probably only using a 256MB 3DS card (the smallest and cheapest one available) and I can see the 3DS version of Cave Story using a good chunk of it (mostly from the pre-recorded audio)

That being said, I'm sure that excuse is a load of rubbish. They probably just don't want to kill the sales of the DSiWare version (which is a smart decision)

dark10x said:
OK, I gotta ask, does this game pull off 60 fps? I'm still searching for one high quality 3DS game that manages 60 fps in 3D. Would be such a nice thing to see and great for this game.

Freakyforms is 60FPS 3D (and yes, I do have the game so I would know)

Top Bottom