• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cave Story for WiiWare: (Finally) The Official Thread

Hiltz

I've been saving up my Wii points for months just for this game.

Although, I did buy Rage of the Gladiator which is awesome especially if you like Punch-Out!!

Anyway, I loved the PC version of Cave Story even though I dislike playing platformer games with the keyboard. Thank goodness for the Wiiware version!

EmCeeGramr said:
cave-story-20100315050607707_640w.jpg

This screenshot makes it look like the game has a multiplayer mode, but I don't see anything about that. Why are there 2 players on screen here? Or is this girl (presumably Curly Brace) just an NPC?

Sciz

She's an NPC, yes. That boss is the last part of an extended sequence during which she follows you around.

Alright, it's out in the open anyway, and we have people in the thread asking about it.

mk7r86.png

2zpqs74.png

mwv2vb.jpg

CURLY STORY MODE YAAAAAAAAAAAAY

Also IGN posted a review. 8.5. It spoils a story-related thing, though, and Daemon Hatfield apparently thinks that the game posted above is "8-bit graphics" and for some reason thinks that this PC game based on old computer titles is meant to be a tribute to NES games.

Been playing the Mac version for I think it's the 4th time now? Anyway, I made it to Hell for the first time, and it keeps kicking my butt. So hard...

Hero of Legend said:
How about I pass along all the Cave Story assets from GDC?

http://picasaweb.google.com/GoldMetalSonicGDC2010/CaveStoryWiiWare#

Original size, quality, unwatermarked.

The Nicalis logo was forcibly jpg-ed due to it being a psd file, but since the DSi XL logo (in the full account in the link which Cave Story is part of) was just the same (jpg with artifacts and of similar size), I said "ah fuck it after hours of trying to properly convert it. :(

Wow. HoL's insanity actually comes in handy for once. Thank you.

I managed to use a few, but I don't have access to Photoshop at the moment so properly resizing some of those images would be a pain right now.

Johnas

DeaconKnowledge said:
This better be good sluts.

Now that I think about it, I don't really recall anyone (here, anyway) ever trolling Cave Story. It delivers.

Actually I do now remember one semi-troll, but it was pretty weak.

The game rocks. Buy it.

Kad5

So is this gonna end up being the best wiiware game when it's released?

This is the impression i'm getting. I may end up getting it when I have enough wii points.

jibblypop said:
Nice thread. I've never played Cave Story but you've convinced me to buy it!

You won't regret this purchase. One of the singly most charming games you'll ever experience. Love the weapon system also.

heringer

IGN's review is a joke (not talking about the score, but the text itself). Seriously, Daemon doesn't even bother with Wii games anymore. Such a shame. A title like this deserved a much better review.

Sew

The new artwork looks fantastic. I don't have a Wii but my 14yo nephew does, and to his credit he loves old school platformers. I'll probably get this for him... so I can play it.

Poyunch

Luigiv said:
I am aware of the original version but I much rather support Nicalis and get the "remastered" version.

edit: Anyway calculating my budget it seems I can afford this + Super Meat Boy + Bit.Trip RUNNER (assuming they're all 1000 points, so far 1/3) if I skip out on Infinite Space. I guess that's a pretty fair trade-off.

edit #2: Damnit! According to that Nintendo site this game will cost 1200 points. >:| No Dark Void Zero for me then. >:O

Luigiv

PounchEnvy said:
I am aware of the original version but I much rather support Nicalis and get the "remastered" version.
Wiiware version isn't going to go anywhere. The game is good enough to warrant multiple playthroughs. If you don't want to wait longer then just play the PC version now and then support Pixel and Nicalis when you can afford it.

It's not double dipping if one version was totally free.

PounchEnvy said:

edit: Anyway calculating my budget it seems I can afford this + Super Meat Boy + Bit.Trip RUNNER (assuming they're all 1000 points, so far 1/3) if I skip out on Infinite Space. I guess that's a pretty fair trade-off.

edit #2: Damnit! According to that Nintendo site this game will cost 1200 points. >:| No Dark Void Zero for me then. >:O
Bit Trip Runner will most likely be 600 points like Beat and Core and Void

Poyunch

nincompoop said:
Bit Trip Runner will most likely be 600 points like Beat and Core and Void
Yeah that's what I'm hoping.

Luigiv said:
Wiiware version isn't going to go anywhere. The game is good enough to warrant multiple playthroughs. If you don't want to wait longer then just play the PC version now and then support Pixel and Nicalis when you can afford it.

It's not double dipping if one version was totally free.
True.

This shit looks so cool. All I've heard are good things about Cave Story and I hope to have a great experience when it comes out. Looks like the old-school at it's best.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
ReXXXSoprano said:
This shit looks so cool. All I've heard are good things about Cave Story and I hope to have a great experience when it comes out. Looks like the old-school at it's best.

it really is like this old super nintendo-era adventure platformer that slipped through the cracks and you're just getting around to. feels very authentic in that regard: high amount of gameplay polish, wonderful graphical style, superb music, great pacing. . .

totally worth every cent.

I love Cave Story, but honestly a late, late port of a freeware game for 1200 points is questionable, even given some of the enhancements. For one, the game is beautiful, but not particularly long. I also have a deep grudge against Wiiware titles that cost odd amounts, with the obvious intent of pushing you to buy more points than you need. As far as justification, what it really boils down to is respect for Pixel. Given the availability of the game elsewhere, the odd pricing structure, and planned downloadble content milking it's really the only excuse to shell out more than $10 for it imo.

I know, I know, it's taboo to complain about Cave Story on any level, but I do think certain aspects of how the Wii conversion has been handled are wack despite the underlying charm of the software itself.

ILikeFeet

Banned
I wanted my virgin playthrough to be on my Wii, but it seems they spoiled the bigger secrets about the game:
Quote is a robot, the game takes place on an island
. that kinda makes me sad :(

Top Bottom