• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cave Story for WiiWare: (Finally) The Official Thread

Did anyone else die from the first spike? I died 3 times. :lol You really have to move slowly to avoid shit. I just got the first gun and I'm already pleased by the graphics and music.

zigg

I'm curious if the cut-off areas are in the overscan area, actually. They look like they might roughly be 5%.

Anything cut off on the left and right edges?

d+pad

Just downloaded and played the game for a few minutes. I've never played Cave Story before, and so far I'm pretty impressed. I thought I would prefer the original graphics/sound, but as of now I actually prefer the spruced-up versions.

Lijik

Ecto311 said:
Good party multi-player? Better than rock band?

Its the best party game on the Wii, just make sure you have 8 wii remotes and 4 dk bongos handy and ensure that three of the remotes have motion plus. But only three. No more, no less.

If its not three, it will make one of the gamecubes inside the wii explode and you won't be able to play gamecube games anymore.

ninj4junpei said:
Wait, there are no control options? What the fuck is this shit!?
You can choose Wii Remote or Classic Controller. Both are great.

hatchx said:
Also why is there no co-op in this game?

Because it's not a co-op game. It's a single-player game, for one player.

ChoklitReign said:
You can't get the silver locket without an upgrade, right? I can't make it back to shore in time.

No, you can get it fine from the start. In fact, you need it before you can proceed.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
ChoklitReign said:
Did anyone else die from the first spike? I died 3 times. :lol You really have to move slowly to avoid shit. I just got the first gun and I'm already pleased by the graphics and music.

when i initially downloaded the pc game years ago, i played the first two minutes or so with a keyboard, died, and discarded it. it took me about a year to come back to it with a gamepad and once i got the gun i was hooked :lol

zigg said:
I'm curious if the cut-off areas are in the overscan area, actually. They look like they might roughly be 5%.

Anything cut off on the left and right edges?
At first I didn't think so because there isn't anything missing on the right, but I rechecked and there's a little bit missing on the left (I'm missing the last half-block that's visible in the screenshot I posted). I've had overscan issues in a couple of other Wii games (I think they were mostly homebrew games though), but nothing this drastic.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It's unfortunate the smallest bundle of points you can purchase is 1000. I've been avoiding the PC version of Cave Story so I can experience it first with this release, but there's no way I'm parting with $30. :(

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Re: Screen issue

Ooh that's really bad for that part of the game since there's that insta-death there at the bottom running around.

I actually got through that part just fine. There's definitely some cut-off on the top and bottom, but it's not as extreme on my TV as nincompoop's pic suggests.

EDIT: About this:

121bey9.jpg

EmCeeGramr said:
You can choose Wii Remote or Classic Controller. Both are great.
I meant customizable controls. Luckily the "a" button is jump, so I'm not really upset.

I don't think I'm having anything cut off on my TV.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
nincompoop

are you sure it's not just overscan on your TV? you said you have a 4:3 set so I'm wondering if you have overscan on it. On many (most) games it's not a huge problem because they program the game to safe areas (usually about 10% overscan) so that it's not an issue. but on my older 16:9 CRT RPTV I was already starting to get hit by overscan on newer games and I only had it set to about 5%.

will be able to tell you when I get home. The bitch is that on my current HDTV (Sony 4100) on 480i/p inputs I can only lower the overscan. I can't do a just scan/native mode like I can with HD sources.

JaseC said:
It's unfortunate the smallest bundle of points you can purchase is 1000. I've been avoiding the PC version of Cave Story so I can experience it first with this release, but there's no way I'm parting with $30. :(
just get a 2000 point card from the store. Surely there is at least ONE SNES or Genesis game you are interested in picking up.

Yeah the overscan is the problem, so I guess the issue won't be as bad for other people depending on their TV's. I don't think my TV lets me adjust overscan so I guess I'm stuck with it.
This is my total viewing area:
dvsprl.jpg

zigg

nincompoop said:
At first I didn't think so because there isn't anything missing on the right, but I rechecked and there's a little bit missing on the left (I'm missing the last half-block that's visible in the screenshot I posted). I've had overscan issues in a couple of other Wii games (I think they were mostly homebrew games though), but nothing this drastic.

That leaves me wondering if it was unavoidable without resorting to one of the infamous blurry filters. I know the original game was 320×240—a straight pixel-double would make it 640×480; the redrawn graphics are 640×480, I believe... unfortunately this seems to indicate to me that unless you're willing to drop lines of graphics, or scale down, it's just not gonna fit in the NTSC safe area.

Does it affect gameplay? Is that floor important? I've never played it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
borghe said:
just get a 2000 point card from the store. Surely there is at least ONE SNES or Genesis game you are interested in picking up.

Hmm. I plan on buying the DKC trilogy at some point, suppose it wouldn't hurt to buy the original now. :lol

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
that sucks. I guess originally writing it for the PC with no overscan and assuming most people have a fixed pixel display today they didn't take into account some of the levels wouldn't work well with higher amounts of overscan. will have to see how it works on my TV. I can lower overscan to sub-5% numbers for 480i/p sources, but I can't eliminate it completely. We'll see how I fare.

Kishgal

Banned
Some of the new music is... okay, but I don't like most of it so far. Eternally grateful that the original stuff is in as an option.

First time playing Cave Story and I really like it. The graphics and sound are charming. The story is a little confusing right now, but I expect that to work itself out. I did not have those problems going through the Egg Corridor. I was able to see both the floor and the ceiling.

One thing I dislike about the game: weapon level downs. I'm doing badly, please don't make it harder on me by making my weapons ineffective.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
So, I was thinking about Cave Story, and why I flat out love it so much, and something occurred to me. The core control of Quote is really fantastically good, at least in my opinion. The floatiness to his jump combined with the tempo and mechanics of the shooting just feel right. Its why I can play over and over, just interacting with the game is fun.

Anyone else feel this way?

jman2050

ScrabbleDude said:
One thing I dislike about the game: weapon level downs. I'm doing badly, please don't make it harder on me by making my weapons ineffective.

Don't get hit! That's one of the key components that makes the gameplay work. :p

I immediately started a hard mode run because playing through on original would just be boring. I got to Monster X and promptly hit a wall because that boss is a pain in the neck and the leadup TO the boss is a pain in the neck as well. :/

The_Technomancer said:
So, I was thinking about Cave Story, and why I flat out love it so much, and something occurred to me. The core control of Quote is really fantastically good, at least in my opinion. The floatiness to his jump combined with the tempo and mechanics of the shooting just feel right. Its why I can play over and over, just interacting with the game is fun.

Anyone else feel this way?
For sure. Didn't Pixel talk about that kind of thing in that nintendo channel interview? I recall him talking about working on the mechanics until they felt right before worrying about any of the story and things.

BlueMagic

I am liking the new music so far, most of the tunes are equally good to the originals.
Also, I don't have that screen issue, I can see both the floor and barely the ceiling.

Kishgal

Banned
Did anyone else find the SFX/music volume balance out of whack? I had to turn the SFX all the way down to half for them to not overpower the music. Maybe it's my setup, though.

LaneDS

Immediately ran to the Wii to purchase this when I saw the thread go up (great OP too!).

Haven't played through this in years, very excited.

3023w3a.gif

I don't know how to open this gate. Your gun and missiles don't work and you can't outrun the thing at the bottom. Also, on the PC version, I can tell my refresh rate is messing it up but I don't see any options for it in the config menu. Can I fix that?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
ChoklitReign said:
3023w3a.gif

I don't know how to open this gate. Your gun and missiles don't work and you can't outrun the thing at the bottom. Also, on the PC version, I can tell my refresh rate is messing it up but I don't see any options for it in the config menu. Can I fix that?

You have to
find a terminal inside one of the giant eggs. You can outrun the thing on the bottom if you time it properly, to get to the egg.

Doorman

So glad I paid up for 2000 points when getting Mega Man 10 instead of just the 'grand. I've been waiting for a couple of years to pay Amaya for his work, even if it means going through Nicalis' apparent fuck-ups to do it. I am a little worried about this supposed screen-clipping issue that people are talking about because I experienced something similar with Muramasa and couldn't figure out why. At any rate, it's not going to stop me from downloading this gem and never regretting it.

BlueMagic

Kishgal said:
Did anyone else find the SFX/music volume balance out of whack? I had to turn the SFX all the way down to half for them to not overpower the music. Maybe it's my setup, though.
Yeap, me too. Fixed it turning down the SFX volume twice.

ChoklitReign said:
3023w3a.gif

First you have to
get an ID card from the Egg #6 I think, and then go to Egg #1 and turn the shield off. You get that info from the PCs in the room where you get the Missiles

Sorry to hear about the cropped widescreen. Any notable differences in the translation so far?

edit: And I already know about the "Oh yeah!" line.

epmode

First impressions: What the fuck did they do to the old music? It sounds like a 32 kbps mp3. The awesome drums and other treble-y stuff have been ruined :( And it's far too quiet.

edit: I blame the Wii's crappy storage limits. ..and the port guys who apparently didn't bother to convert the old music into a chiptune kinda thing so it takes up no space. I guess 18 months wasn't long enough.

Agent Unknown said:
Sorry to hear about the cropped widescreen. Any notable differences in the translation so far?

edit: And I already know about the "Oh yeah!" line.

Outside of a few typos, it's okay. Not bad, not great.

Only thing about this that bugs me (other than the quiet original music) is that a lot of the characters shout more, with frequent "!!!" and "?!?," etc. It's a minor change that, for all I know might be more accurate to the original Japanese (never read the Japanese version so I have no idea), but it comes off a little weird.

However, everything else is still great. I almost wish I could forget all the secrets, since some of them are really easy to miss the first time around and provide an incentive for subsequent playthroughs.

The_Technomancer said:
I thought someone was porting it for homebrew a few years back, but it doesn't seem to have gotten anywhere.

IIRC, in the months before the WiiWare version was announced way back in fall '08, Pixel requested that all homebrewers suspend work on console/handheld ports of the game. Not sure if that was ever fully confirmed, though.

EmCeeGramr said:
Daemon Hatfield apparently thinks that the game posted above is "8-bit graphics" and for some reason thinks that this PC game based on old computer titles is meant to be a tribute to NES games.
Augh, this is making my brain hurt. When did that guy start playing games? You go, IGN.

This better come out in Yurop pronto, I've never played the PC version longer than a few minutes because playing platformers on a PC just isn't my thing anymore.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Been interested on playing this game. Anyone knows how much average time is the first "normal" playthrough? (When I mean normal, I mean the default ending)

bernardobri said:
Been interested on playing this game. Anyone knows how much average time is the first "normal" playthrough? (When I mean normal, I mean the default ending)

8-10 hours. It plays a lot faster when you know what you are doing, so subsequent play-throughs are only 4-5 hours. You also will miss a lot of special items and secrets the first time through, so definitely play through again.

It also depends on how many times you die (which will probably be quite a bit on the first play through depending on how careful you are).

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
Am I correct in assuming that Hard mode removes every single heart container from what I've seen so far? I'm calling it quits now if that's the case, no way do am I doing the whole game like that.

moop2000 said:
I wish this would come out for the DS

Same here! Would be perfect for our Ds's here.

Played through a bit this morning and happy to say this is a fun and interesting game so far with a quirky, unique style I have taken to naturally ;-)

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
thestopsign said:
8-10 hours. It plays a lot faster when you know what you are doing, so subsequent play-throughs are only 4-5 hours. You also will miss a lot of special items and secrets the first time through, so definitely play through again.

It also depends on how many times you die (which will probably be quite a bit on the first play through depending on how careful you are)

Does the number of deaths affect the ending? Or you mean it because of something else?

zigg

Just wanted to come in and say (as a first-timer to this game)

• No overscan problems for me—the floor is perfectly visible,
  • Holy cow, this is fun.
Had to turn the stereo down though. The sound effects are a bit hard-edged for it.

Zek said:
Am I correct in assuming that Hard mode removes every single heart container from what I've seen so far? I'm calling it quits now if that's the case, no way do am I doing the whole game like that.

Yep. I think it's based off the speed-runs that fans did of the PC version where they went through the whole game without collecting life capsules, the missile launcher, or the super missiles.

bernardobri said:
Does the number of deaths affect the ending? Or you mean it because of something else?
Number of deaths doesn't effect the ending; it's just that for first-time players many of the bosses will definitely take multiple tries.

There's also a couple of really clever secrets which players probably won't figure out the first time around; stuff that unlocks extra and extended levels, and the best ending.

Top Bottom