• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cave Story for WiiWare: (Finally) The Official Thread

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Jonnyboy117 said:
Gameplay Help Request:

I keep dying on the
two dragons
boss, and it's very annoying to restart since the nearest save point is five minutes away (a problem the game seems to avoid otherwise). I have plenty of upgrades, so I think it's mainly an issue of tactics. Any suggestions on which weapon to use, where to stand, etc.? I've tried a few different things but once
they both start to breathe fire continuously
I don't last long.

If I remember right (it's been a good three years since I played the PSP Homebrew port): Focus on ONE only. After you take that one out, you'll have a MUCH EASIER time to take the last one out.

The bubbler also helps, IIRC.

I played about an hour of this today, and I must say that I am very impressed. Having never played the original, this is a fresh new game for me. The graphics are simple, yet really quite nice. It has an attractive sharpness and style to it. And it controls like a charm.

I don't think I have been this impressed by a side-scroller in a while. Its certainly doing more for me than the Blaster Master remake that came out recently. As someone who loves Metroid, Blaster Master, and Monster World I am in 2D sidescroller/rpg heaven now. :D

Just picked this up and also gifted it to a friend. I played the PC game a bit last year, but I don't recall getting too far, so I'm really looking forward to giving the game the attention it deserves this time around.

BooJoh

Quick question for anyone who's gotten the "bad ending" on the Wii version, because I don't know if there's any autosaves or anything.
If I escape with Kazuma, can I watch the bad ending, then reset and choose not to go with him? Or do I need to say No while I have the chance?
This is my first playthrough of the game but I'd like to go for a good ending because I don't know how long it'll be til I play through it a second time.

BooJoh said:
Quick question for anyone who's gotten the "bad ending" on the Wii version, because I don't know if there's any autosaves or anything.
If I escape with Kazuma, can I watch the bad ending, then reset and choose not to go with him? Or do I need to say No while I have the chance?
This is my first playthrough of the game but I'd like to go for a good ending because I don't know how long it'll be til I play through it a second time.

You can watch the bad ending and reset.

BooJoh said:

I'm not there in the Wii version, but in the PC version you could just save in the room before, watch the ending, then load up from where you saved. If you want to get the actual "good" ending, you might want to read a guide (though you are already past a few of the parts where you are required to do stuff, mostly involving Curly).

BooJoh

thestopsign said:
I'm not there in the Wii version, but in the PC version you could just save in the room before, watch the ending, then load up from where you saved. If you want to get the actual "good" ending, you might want to read a guide (though you are already past a few of the parts where you are required to do stuff, mostly involving Curly).
I've been referencing a spoiler-light good ending guide. So far I've
gotten the Booster 2.0 and rescued Curly with the tow rope and drained her. I haven't seen her since the end of the waterway though.

VideoMan said:

So what it sounds like here is that the guy gave Nicalis the music to work with and then whoever compiled it all did a shoddy job, thereby killing the music's integrity.

The game apparently also has freeze glitches in the Outer Wall and map problems.

I have a feeling Nintendo's QA had a fun time with this game, now >,<

Apparently they are going to fix stuff for Europe...but...what about us US people?

Let me say Nicalis is lucky Cave Story is a great game on its own right. NightSky will be awesome because of Nifflas, and La-Mulana will rock because of Nigoro.

I'm curious if Nicalis will produce a product that is not headed by another indie group. Could they?

Kaldea

I just got this yesterday and I'm loving it. I knew nothing about it before but I'm kinda happy I didn't. It's a nice surprise. :D

fausty

Fantastic game, but is anyone else having the issue with weapons switching when you hit diagonal up on the d-pad? It doesn't happen all the time, but enough to be noticeable (and irritating in boss fights). Hopefully it's my controller and not a game bug (or feature). :)

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Bah, I knew the game had sound issues the minute I launched it. So I checked out that Tiny Cartridge article and the forum it linked to just to get a little more information on the whole thing. Wow, just wow is all I can say. Internet nerds and their little meme obsessions are creepy as fuck.

Lijik said:
Man I really hope they don't change Oh Yeeeeeah back to Huzzah. I prefer the change
Seconded. Especially after reading that forum. *shudders*

NewFresh

TheUnknownForce said:
Apparently they are going to fix stuff for Europe...but...what about us US people?

They have patched WiiWare games before (Bit.Trip.Beat for difficulty, Okiraku for WiFi issue, NyxQuest ptached in Europe to change name from Ikarian) and will most likley patch this one when they release the European version of the game.

Doorman

Here's hoping for that patch, because the new music seems atrocious to me for the time being. I did think it seemed strange that the drums and melody for the first cave music seemed to be running at two very different tempos, it sounds like it may have fallen victim to these issues as well.

Like I said before, everything about Cave Story that Pixel still handled (control, the new character sprites, etc) are still great, but Nicalis' extra trappings have fallen way short. Color me skeptical that they'll get their act together in time for NightSky, which would be a shame if that game falls short too.

A patch for various things would be good (translation typos, sound levels and looping, etc.).

Might be a while though; I think I read somewhere patches for WiiWare games mean that the developer has to go through the resubmission process and in the meantime the royalties from the game might be put on hold if there haven't been a certain number of downloads yet.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
I really don't get it.

I mean, I'm not hardcore nut or anything but three hours of playing and I've noted various minor little issues (map is broken in Sand Zone, no maps show your position). Did nobody test this thing out in the two plus years they've been hammering it out?

upandaway

Fuck. This is my only way to play the game with a controller.

You think I should wait the extra couple months before I find a cheap USB controller?

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Just get the Wii version. It still PLAYS perfectly. If you turn the sound effects down (anywhere from 1/2 to 3/4) and use the original music you alleviate most of the glaring issues present. The original tracks still have some balance/looping issues but it's still very minor, when all is said and done. Nothing wrong is game-breaking or major in any way, they're just minor nuances that most other developers would have ironed out with a single round of play-testing.

upandaway

Princess Skittles said:
They're talking about releasing an update to fix the music and sound issues.
If they pull it off and I don't see any other issues, I'd buy it, but my friend just now informed me that I can use my Wiimote on my computer, so for now I'll finally play Cave Story how I was meant to play it from the start. Now I'm actually feeling good about playing the game, how about that.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Squeak said:
So, ANYONE KNOW WHEN THIS IS OUT IN EU?!!

I'd love to know, too. Decided to take the plunge, but found it wasn't up in PAL Land. :lol Bought Batman:AA and Banjo-Kazooie XBLA instead.

Princess Skittles said:
They're talking about releasing an update to fix the music and sound issues.
If they do this I'll buy it for the Wii in a heartbeat. It's the only thing holding me back. I want the old tunes in good quality, damn it.

I just got my Wii back today after finally deciding to get it fixed, and my first order of business was to buy Cave Story. I've only played it for maybe 30 minutes, but I've been loving every minute of it. :D

GhostSeed

Sorry if this has already been asked but can you play this game with the GC controller? And does it support progressive scan?

Wow, the
Sacred Grounds
are pretty much impossible if you don't have the
Spur
. I might as well just give up and start a new game. Of course, it doesn't help that I can't see the damn floor. Also the music stopping every time you enter a new screen is really annoying, they need to get that patched right away.

Hiltz

I haven't spent much time with Cave Story yet due to Red Steel 2 (great game by the way). However, I'm taking a break from it now to dive into the glorious game that is Cave Story Wiiware.

Gattsu25 said:
Yeah. IMO, the PC version required a gamepad too

I played through the game multiple times with a keyboard and I did just fine. I've never seen the big difference between game pads and keyboards though, so I might just be crazy.

Hiltz

Cave Story plays just fine with a keyboard.Although, I still prefer using a game controller.

Now I tried playing a fan remake of Metroid II which was incredibly frusterating to use a keyboard on.

I love the start up music for Cave Story's Wii menu icon, it's so catchy.

Got up to Labyrinth thus far. I am now further than I've ever been on the game.

If you make sound effects 1/3 and classic music on with master volume louder, it definitely works. The looping is not entirely noticeable. I just hope we get a music fix soon (I want to hear the new music as it was meant to be).

Anyways, I've gotten used to the roughness around the edges. It's too awesome a game to have annoyances toward.

tetrisgrammaton said:
the new graphics are kind of lame

In what sense? They doubled the game's resolution and made detail work to the sprites. Not like the old graphics are going to look better on a television that big.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
TheUnknownForce said:
If you make sound effects 1/3 and classic music on with master volume louder, it definitely works. The looping is not entirely noticeable.
Very much so.

TheUnknownForce said:
It's too awesome a game to have annoyances toward.

TheUnknownForce said:
In what sense? They doubled the game's resolution and made detail work to the sprites. Not like the old graphics are going to look better on a television that big.
The old graphics look better because they are appropriate to their resolution.

The new graphics are simply filter upscaled with minor hand touchups. They look rather lackluster and empty for their resolution, lacking the detail packed into the smaller sized version. They're not necessarily BAD, mind you, but they really don't look or feel like 640x480 2D graphics.

Luigiv

Princess Skittles said:
Very much so.

The old graphics look better because they are appropriate to their resolution.

The new graphics are simply filter upscaled with minor hand touchups. They look rather lackluster and empty for their resolution, lacking the detail packed into the smaller sized version. They're not necessarily BAD, mind you, but they really don't look or feel like 640x480 2D graphics.
Incorrect. All the redone graphics were redrawn by hand. That being said, I do feel that some of the larger sprites are indeed lacking in detail.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
EmCeeGramr said:
Uh... that post explains how they're NOT upscaled. Look at the second picture and the fourth picture. They're not up-rezzed with "minor touch-ups" at all.
The second image to the right is what software interpolation looks like, but this was done by hand.
By hand or not (personally, I'm inclined to believe they're not scaled by hand but they said they are as to not upset message board people), they're using a shitty upscaling method as the base.. the other images are touch-ups from that.

Princess Skittles said:
By hand or not (personally, I'm inclined to believe they're not scaled by hand but they said they are as to not upset message board people), they're using a shitty upscaling method as the base.. the other images are touch-ups from that.

Yeah, as a base. As in, a reference used by the artist (AKA, Pixel, who made the new graphics) so that they have the basic shape and resolution of the finished sprite to work with.

vr8rk5.png

On the left is the hand-upscaled and interpolated reference.
On the right is the finished sprite.

If you are really saying that it's just a filtered sprite with minor touch-ups, then you're crazy.

Top Bottom