• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CDPR CEO on a possible sequel to The Witcher 3

Denton

Im as sad as you about not visiting Borkilon and Cintra with Geralt, but his arc in this trilogy is finished. Yeah, depending of the ending (and im pretty sure its the canon ending for Geralt) he can have more smaller adventures in the northern kigdoms. But
this ending has him settling with his love, and being with his "daughter" as a witcher
Closes the circle, not only of the game trilogy, but has a good ending for the books.

The Geralt ending in the books is crap, even if Lady of the Lake as a whole is masterfull, but that ending just came as Sapkowski saying "pam, I dont know what more to do with the character". CDPR did the impossible, actually giving it a proper ending that works with the books.

Story with other characters in the same universe, self created or Ciri, would work amazingly well with the ending of The Witcher 3. Make Geralt pop up in some missions, using the save of people to choose the
being alone, with triss or with yeneffer
, and call it a day.

But first Cyberpunk. I can wait 6 years for a new witcher game perfectly.

I dunno man. I feel like the
Empress
ending is more fitting. Ciri taking on the responsibilites after Geralt gives her the confidence she needs..plus it was most extensive and detailed epilogue, it seemed like that would be canonical. Bitersweet but positive. She could
rule with Morvran
, TW4 could take place several years after TW3 with completely new plot. Hell it could even involve Ciri as
empress
and be full of politics and intrigue, TW2 style.
I am excited just thinking about the possibilites :p

Basically, something ends, something begins.

Alpende

There was a 3-4 year gap between Witcher 2 and Wild Hunt. With Cyberpunk on the way it could take even longer for the next Witcher game which would be fine for me.

Geralt's story is done. Not too sure about continuing Ciri's story though, her powers could be cool in a possible sequel. I just hope they return to the Witcher world.

Empress
ending is more fitting. Ciri taking on the responsibilites after Geralt gives her the confidence she needs..plus it was most extensive and detailed epilogue, it seemed like that would be canonical. Bitersweet but positive. She could
rule with Morvran
, TW4 could take place several years after TW3 with completely new plot. Hell it could even involve Ciri as
empress

I actually like how this sounds.

injurai

Banned
They should focus on making 2077 really good, and hopefully it warrants sequels of it's own. They should strive for the Rockstar model of cycling entries with longer dev cycles to uphold quality.

Coreda

Hadn't seen those two videos of the original 2002 and 2004 Witcher demos before. Bit fond of the more top-down perspective in the initial demo actually.

HaiMtuy.jpg
gwoC4xW.jpg
cIF9nYW.jpg
3TuOF2Y.jpg

EmSeta

I hate to be that guy, but: Just make a new IP. After W3, I'm all Witcher'ed out. I'd love to see what CDPR can do without all the franchise baggage.

GavinUK86

I would love another Witcher game but don't call it 4. Just come up with a whole new character and a subtitle. Have it reference the trilogy and books, sure, but create something fresh. It's a massive universe.

But for now, gimme Cyberpunk!

ironcreed

Banned
I hate to be that guy, but: Just make a new IP. After W3, I'm all Witcher'ed out. I'd love to see what CDPR can do without all the franchise baggage.

It is too big and too amazing with what they have turned the series into to just drop now. They have attained some real recognition and have reached a wider audience who will no doubt be wanting more. It would be unfair to these people.

Empress
rule with Morvran
empress

I understand where you are coming from, but i still prefer the
Ciri witcher ending and think it goes better with the books.
The empress thing could still happen after her going in more adventures and being with Geralt more, just when she is much older.

Thats exactly what they are doing. Its called Cyberpunk.
New Witcher games are not coming soon, maybe they wait more than 6 years for the next.

Either Ciri or a created character would be cool.

I think it would be rewarding from a narrative perspective to see Ciri finally having a chance to do all of the stuff she's wanted to do for ages, but couldn't because of the Hunt. Taking on contracts and saving the weak, playing Gwent and partying in taverns, ploughing every strapping young lad (and perhaps the occasional smitten young lady) she crosses paths with.

I don't even think it'd need a traditional main story, seeing as how masterful CDPR's self-contained story arcs are.

Ascenion

Honestly I'd respect the source material and just end it here. I don't know if I trust them to construct an overarching plot on their own. So far they've had motivations and backstory spoon fed to them and even then the main plot is very poor in 3, it's the subtle stuff that shines. If Cyberpunk is good I may change my mind but as it stands leave it alone.

Gotta echo it would be cool to have a Ciri game, but anything in the universe I'd be happy with.

I do think Geralt's arc is over now.

JustinBB7

I'm looking forward to cyberpunk, but The Witcher series is my favorite series (ever maybe? yea I think so..) and that's mostly because of Geralt. I'd be ok with creating your own Witcher or playing as Ciri too though, can trust CDPR with all of it to do the right thing. And they will take their time to make it great. The wait will be long but worth it.

Ushay

I'd say do a new game that isn't about the Witchers anymore. Have a customisable protag ie character creator.

Anyhow, I'm hyped for Cyberpunk.

litelite_

Neo Member
Guys "Most probably, the main hero will no longer be Geralt, but a witcher created by the player himself."

A posts on the r/games thread. I didn't find a source though.

foxtrot3d

Banned
This is exactly how I want it. Ciri's development was one of the best things in The Witcher 3 and expanding on her combat mechanics and abilities would be so cool!

Nah, my Ciri
became the Empress of Nilfgaard. I don't want her trudging through mud caked fields, hunting down monsters when she as an Empire to rule.
I'm okay with a new character besides Geralt, hell I'd love to play as Lambert, but leave Ciri out her story ended perfectly for me.

I'm looking forward to cyberpunk, but The Witcher series is my favorite series (ever maybe? yea I think so..) and that's mostly because of Geralt. I'd be ok with creating your own Witcher or playing as Ciri too though, can trust CDPR with all of it to do the right thing. And they will take their time to make it great. The wait will be long but worth it.

If you havent read the books I recommend them a bunch.
Its amazing how CDPR respected so much Sapkowski's work.

I'm honestly way more interested in Cyberpunk right now, But I have enjoyed all three Witcher games massively.

When it comes back, I will be ready.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Am I the only one that CIRI SPOILER
let her just continue be a "witcher" as I wanted her away from all this bullshit.

Would be a nice end also if you would have Ciri as a protag.

ironcreed

Banned
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";188016026]Wouldn't Ciri be a little OP?[/QUOTE]

A new game where you play as her would obviously be balanced.

Am I the only one that CIRI SPOILER
let her just continue be a "witcher" as I wanted her away from all this bullshit.

Would be a nice end also if you would have Ciri as a protag.

No and
its probably the canon ending as it the one that blends better with the books.
Empress Ciri is just too much, and the character would probably never want to do it, she tells as much in one of the missions

Obviously dead Ciri ending is out of question.

Honestly I'd respect the source material and just end it here. I don't know if I trust them to construct an overarching plot on their own. So far they've had motivations and backstory spoon fed to them and even then the main plot is very poor in 3, it's the subtle stuff that shines. If Cyberpunk is good I may change my mind but as it stands leave it alone.

But the main plot in the recent DLC was incredible, with ultra memorable villains and a very satisfying conclusion.

I think TW3's main story only unraveled after
Radovid's assassination.
The way they were tying up loose ends before that point was amazing
(the quest to kill the Crones and Imlerith might be one if the greatest quests in any game ever)
, but then they started offing characters in anticlimactic ways
(Djikstra suddenly becoming a totally unreasonable traitor, Eredin serving as a scapegoat for a fakeout plot twist with Avallach, etc)

A lot of folks seem to think The Witcher series is no more, when CDPR never actually said so. What they did say is Geralt's story is over. That's it.

ironcreed

Banned
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";188016356]Yeah but what would you even be fighting? She shreds everything in W3 like nothing.[/QUOTE]

Again, they obviously would not make her so OP in TW4 for obvious reasons. A new story with her as the protagonist in another open world like TW3 would be huge and the stage is really already set for it with the success of TW3. It is what makes sense.

I guess the reason I'm not really hyped about Ciri being the next playable character is because in my playthrough
she became Empress
and I'm perfectly fine with that ending. I don't really want her
going back to life of a witcher.

It would easily be preferable over a create-a-character though.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
You'd pretty much have to Samus lose-your-powers-because-reasons to make Ciri plausible. I wouldn't say no (even if I felt like her English voice actress was a misscast), but I don't feel it's needed. Same goes for Geralt, as much as I love the crusty bugger. I don't feel I need to see more of these characters at the expense of how Wild Hunt ended. Though I'd be okay with a prequel.

Honestly I'd like CDPR to try their hand writing their own protagonist. They're three games into a series that's been bolted not just to the ongoing protagonist but also the supporting cast from the books. I adore them, but in the same way I'm excited for Mass Effect: Andromeda to just cast aside fucking everything and do it's own thing, I'd be okay with a new Witcher game telling a new story with a new protagonist and set of supporting characters.

It wouldn't be easy, but feel strongly that continually dragging your mainstay cast through the mud for the sake of fans is never healthy for a good narrative.

litelite_

Neo Member
You'd pretty much have to Samus lose-your-powers-because-reasons to make Ciri plausible. I wouldn't say no (even if I felt like her English voice actress was a misscast), but I don't feel it's needed.

Not really though. Let her walk over regular enemies like she did in TW3, or make the enemies more aware of her powers so they know how to adapt(run, cooperate more) but add a bigger, more powerful, more vast enemy that is the main concern of the game that won't make her look over powered.

Losing your powers at the start is such a cliché.

injurai

Banned
You'd pretty much have to Samus lose-your-powers-because-reasons to make Ciri plausible. I wouldn't say no (even if I felt like her English voice actress was a misscast), but I don't feel it's needed. Same goes for Geralt, as much as I love the crusty bugger. I don't feel I need to see more of these characters at the expense of how Wild Hunt ended. Though I'd be okay with a prequel.

Honestly I'd like CDPR to try their hand writing their own protagonist. They're three games into a series that's been bolted not just to the ongoing protagonist but also the supporting cast from the books. I adore them, but in the same way I'm excited for Mass Effect: Andromeda to just cast aside fucking everything and do it's own thing, I'd be okay with a new Witcher game telling a new story with a new protagonist and set of supporting characters.

It wouldn't be easy, but feel strongly that continually dragging your mainstay cast through the mud for the sake of fans is never healthy for a good narrative.

Dandelion it is!

Ascenion

But the main plot in the recent DLC was incredible, with ultra memorable villains and a very satisfying conclusion.

I think TW3's main story only unraveled after
Radovid's assassination.
The way they were tying up loose ends before that point was amazing
(the quest to kill the Crones and Imlerith might be one if the greatest quests in any game ever)
, but then they started offing characters in anticlimactic ways
(Djikstra suddenly becoming a totally unreasonable traitor, Eredin serving as a scapegoat for a fakeout plot twist with Avallach, etc)

I can agree with that, but it was never that strong to begin with to me and that may be because of the type of story it was to begin with. I can't remember if
Radovid's assassination was before or after finding Ciri but that's where I think it really fell apart.
Everything felt very rushed after that not to mention that honestly felt like the end, but it wasn't. I haven't played the DLC yet but if it is as you say it may change my opinion but as it stands for me act 3 pretty much wrecks Wild Hunt's plot.

ironcreed

Banned

I would be okay with being able to create your own WItcher with full customization. Kind of TES route, which should really make everyone happy. It seems like a logical step forward as well.

Lanrutcon

Apparently I am the only one who couldn't get Ciri the hell out of my game fast enough. An entire game about her? Oh screw that noise. Give me a game about a normal Witcher please.

I would be okay with being able to create your own WItcher with full customization. Kind of TES route, which should really make everyone happy. It seems like a logical step forward as well.

Make it a pre gerald game when there were more witcher schools, have the witcher school specialize in combatskill and have them have upgradable armor like they already have in w3

Top Bottom