• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CDPR CEO on a possible sequel to The Witcher 3

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Not really though. Let her walk over regular enemies like she did in TW3, or make the enemies more aware of her powers so they know how to adapt(run, cooperate more) but add a bigger, more powerful, more vast enemy that is the main concern of the game that won't make her look over powered.

Losing your powers at the start is such a cliché.

This would be fine as an idea but is nevertheless basically reimagining The Witcher to be The Ciri, which I can't imagine CDPR are interested in doing.

Apparently I am the only one who couldn't get Ciri the hell out of my game fast enough. An entire game about her? Oh screw that noise. Give me a game about a normal Witcher please.

No, there are plenty that didn't care for her. I encounter the opinion almost universally offline. NEOGAF is a feminist friendly environment.

I was thinking something similar. Make the player think he's going to be Ciri... Then BOOM she gets whacked and everything changes, you take over as a different character in an incredibly desperate situation (not necessarily Geralt...)....

They make it out like a world without Ciri would be doomed. I would love to see that world and try to survive in it.

phant0m

Witcher 4: The Ladies

A sprawling 3-character epic where you alternate between playing as Ciri, Triss, and Yen.

I totally see Geralt and Ciri and a lot of the characters from the games returning in a new game but you will probably play a new character.

As for how W3 ending could effect W4 I can see them Bioware-ing it and just writing around your choices so nothing really matters. Heck they already did that with W2 to W3 choices anyway

For example.
If Ciri is the new ruler of nilfgaard at the end of W3 then she is the ruler in W4. But if you got the She becomes a Wticher ending then maybe Emhyr dies in between the games and she becomes the ruler anyway because she is the next in line. So its like she is forced into the position versus she does it by choice but in the end its all the same bar maybe a line mentioning it somewhere

pablito

I wouldn't mind more Geralt. I wouldn't mind Ciri games, as long as her movement was normal, or that dashing stuff was limited/a special ability. And Platinum, while they do make good action games, I wouldn't want them anywhere near a Witcher game.

Bolivar687

Banned
They can't abandon a franchise after finally crossing over critically and commercially I'm the way they did with W3.

Don't know who will be the main character but would almost guarantee it'll be another fantastic game.

eksy

Banned
I'm sure anything they do will not be done without major planning to make sure it plays and fits in well. However I will raise an eyebrow if they have you create your own character. A singular, recognizable character is always better than some ugly create-a-character. I don't have the time or desire to make a model.

This will be CDPR's biggest test yet. It will be very easy to disappoint now that they've set the bar so high; can they at least match it?

I'm also conflicted -- I love the series so much I don't want to see it become annualized or even within 2-3 years, but I don't want to wait too long like beyond 6-7 years. Though too long is better than too early.

Damn can you imagine what an event The Witcher 4 would be? As big as GTA6 release I would dare to compare. At least for me it would be.

Apparently I am the only one who couldn't get Ciri the hell out of my game fast enough. An entire game about her? Oh screw that noise. Give me a game about a normal Witcher please.

Same, she just seems so OP. I wouldn't mind them creating a game about a new witcher. School of the Cat would be interesting.

Illucio

Banned
Nope nope. Stop right there. Nope nope so much nope.

Just remake 1 and possibly 2 to today's standards and call it a trilogy.

Karl Hawk

Banned
Nope nope. Stop right there. Nope nope so much nope.

Ironically enough, they were making a remake for Witcher 1 (called Witcher: Rise of the White Wolf) for consoles at the time, but they cancelled it because it was a disaster on development front. Hell, it almost bankrupted CDPR

So I can understand if they are hesitant about venturing for Witcher 1 remake again

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
Ironically enough, they were making a remake for Witcher 1 (called Witcher: Rise of the White Wolf) for consoles at the time, but they cancelled it because it was a disaster on development front. Hell, it almost bankrupted CDPR

So I can understand if they are hesitant about venturing for Witcher 1 remake again

That was due to them outsourcing the project to a third party developer, which turned out to be a disaster. They don't have the time and manpower to make a remake themselves while working on The Witcher 3 (addons) and Cyberpunk 2077.

Bytes

I wouldn't be surprised to see them go back to the idea they had for their original prototype of The Witcher 1 where you create your own Witcher avatar.

Ciri was obviously a supporting character and I don't see the aim to make her a protagonist.

Did you manage to read all the books? If anything the later books spends more time following Ciri's perspective than Geralt's. She is also the focus of the story.

They tried that - it nearly ruined CDPR and forced them to cut two chapters from Witcher 2.

RSP

Wild Hunt is bigger than any other Witcher game, right? Why would they not come out with a sequel. Just because the story is finished? Not many devs or publishers work that way anymore ...

nubbe

Wild Hunt is bigger than any other Witcher game, right? Why would they not come out with a sequel. Just because the story is finished? Not many devs or publishers work that way anymore ...

They aren't run like a sausage factory, yet

But more stories from the Witcher universe is certainly expected
Whom and what it will be about is the question

Ciri would be a valid choice
The wolf school is pretty much done

Bring back Geralt, he's finally famous after the Witcher 3, and his prime for a sequel. it's not like his ending was great in witcher 3.

Roni

Gold Member
Right now, I wanna play Cyberpunk. So please focus on that! Pretty please?

We can talk about Geralt after that is done!

It's not hard to imagine a new Witcher game where you can create your own character, and maybe even choose which school of witchers to start from. IIRC they haven't shown us the trials in detail, so it would be cool to include in the tutorial. And please have more versatile options for advancing dialouges then yes/no.
Story wise if they got a talented writer it's all good, since there are plenty crazy stuff going on in the world currently for social commentaries.

Coll1der

Banned
I would absolutely hate it if they would bring Geralt out of retirement for this. He's had a hard life, he needs time to rest. Witcher's world is chock full of stories asking to be told. There is Lambert for example, who can be a nice anti-hero, full of personality. There is also Eskel, who is a Geralt's twin brother in terms of personality, according to the lore. It would be very interesting to see how a similar to Geralt character would develop under different circumstances, not having anything resembling Ciri or Jennifer, for example.

And there is a whole lot of lore about younger Vesemir - that's for sure. And seeing the fall of Kaer Mohen would also be great.

In other words - let Geralt live his life, he deserves it.

NotUS

I'd actually like to see the earlier days, when Geralt was riding with the Wild Hunt, whole story to explore right there.

Coll1der

Banned
I'd actually like to see the earlier days, when Geralt was riding with the Wild Hunt, whole story to explore right there.

It's not actually much of a story. He was forced to ride with them in exchange for Yennifer's life. It was just before Witcher 1, the game starting when he finally escaped them. I don't imagine a lot of things happening during this time. It's been maybe a year or two.

Isn't Geralt synonymous with the series though? Would be weird having a game without him as the lead.

Even after only playing 3, I agree. I mean, it is The witcher, not just witcher.

I think I'd be down for a younger Vesemir prequel game, but Ciri is way too powerful by the end of witcher 3 IMO, plus without going in to spoilers, the various endings of w3 could change that idea heavily.

MadYarpen

The world Sapkowski created is very rich, there is a lot of space for more games.
As for Geralt, there is a lot of space for prequel... Having a game preceding the books is possible I think.

The cool thing bout Ciri is that settings can be all over the place in variety.

Also, since Metroid Sequels and Symphony of the Night games have a history of dealing with main characters that are too powerful at the start of the game. It is a gamey solution, but it works.

I want them to take some time off and then come back to The Witcher when they've polished their formula even more and of course, Geralt should be the main character.

Having a game without Geralt is theoretically possible but it would be as pointless as having an Indina Jones movie without Indiana Jones. Cirilla is too overpowered to be a good lead unless you strip her of the Elder Blood which is not only central to the character but would also make her null against monsters since she's not a mutant. I doubt a game about any of the remaining Witchers would be well received and there are not more Witcher schools or Witchers being created nor will there be according to the books.

Having a character creator and a new protagonist is a possibilty but I don't see it, this is not TES. The Witcher universe is interesting but these games focus on narrative and in it's characters' relationship with Geralt, who is at the center of everything. Their stories and interactions are so interesting because they carry all the baggage and development from the books and previous games. A new protagonist would not have that and I seriously don't see the point in CDPR creating new stories in this universe and having Geralt and co. as behind the scenes figures relegated to either cameos or the ocassional party member.

The epilogues in TW3 are vague and open enough so that new adventures can perfectly be devised and implemented, what's more, now that CDPR has ended the main conflicts presented in the books, they are free to try new things and start a new story arc. The fact that Witchers and sorceresses are exceedingly long lived helps as well, since there is no real excuse as why these characters wouldn't get into action again if the situation called for it.

Denton

I want them to take some time off and then come back to The Witcher when they've polished their formula even more and of course, Geralt should be the main character.

Having a game without Geralt is theoretically possible but it would be as pointless as having an Indina Jones movie without Indiana Jones. Cirilla is too overpowered to be a good lead unless you strip her of the Elder Blood which is not only central to the character but would also make her null against monsters since she's not a mutant. I doubt a game about any of the remaining Witchers would be well received and there are not more Witcher schools or Witchers being created nor will there be according to the books.

Having a character creator and a new protagonist is a possibilty but I don't see it, this is not TES. The Witcher universe is interesting but these games focus on narrative and in it's characters' relationship with Geralt, who is at the center of everything. Their stories and interactions are so interesting because they carry all the baggage and development from the books and previous games. A new protagonist would not have that and I seriously don't see the point in CDPR creating new stories in this universe and having Geralt and co. as behind the scenes figures relegated to either cameos or the ocassional party member.

The epilogues in TW3 are vague and open enough so that new adventures can perfectly be devised and implemented, what's more, now that CDPR has ended the main conflicts presented in the books, they are free to try new things and start a new story arc. The fact that Witchers and sorceresses are exceedingly long lived helps as well, since there is no real excuse as why these characters wouldn't get into action again if the situation called for it.
Yes, this

Faenix1

I want Geralt to come back. I'm not interested in any other character taking over the franchise. I don't care if they have to deviate from the books in order to make it happen.

Geralt has to come back or Ciri take center stage, or no buy.

Though they need to improve on Ciri, she was slightly "meh" in areas combat-wise.

UberLevi

I think it'd be neat to play as our own Witcher. Make a custom Witcher and choose a School to determine your gameplay style.

If they want to stick with established characters, make it about Vesemir in his younger days.

Precisely.

Mifec

For those who want to play as Yen, Triss, Ciri? Does something happen at the start of the game to depower them or something? Because while I don't think anything in the game suggests it, Yen could vaporize Geralt whenever she wants to. Sorceresses are disgustingly overpowered in the books and well Ciri is already OP in 3.

Top Bottom