• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CDPR's investor's conference: Interesting bits, Cyberpunk 2077, The Witcher 4

Peroroncino

Perhaps it's my poor translation skills, but the wink wink, nudge nudge in this Q&A session was clear: "We're not going to abandon the Witcher franchise, it's huge, we invested so much into it, we can't say much more because we want to announce it our way"

Judging by your previous translations, I doubt that's the issue. ;)

Exentryk

The Witcher games are based on a series of Polish books, which in turn recycle and reference fairytales and myths from Poland and other European countries. There is a vaguely described land of Zerrikania which sounds like the Ottoman Turkey, but that's about it. CD Projekt would have to completely disregard the source material and invent their own land. It's not going to happen.

I love this European mythology. It's so unique and different and new for me. So really happy with the world they've got, and eager to see more from it.

Alebrije

With Horizont ZD do not need a new Witcher game for long time , I am more exited with Cyberpunk than a new Witcher since that kind of ambient is plagued by a lot of open worlds games like Zelda, Skyrim , DA inquisition, Horizont, Etz.

cyberpunk seems a very stand alone game for console users, nothing similar that you can see on other games.

With Horizont ZD do not need a new Witcher game for long time , I am more exited with Cyberpunk than a new Witcher since that kind of ambient is plagued by a lot of open worlds games like Zelda, Skyrim , DA inquisition, Horizont, Etz.

cyberpunk seems a very stand alone game for console users, nothing similar that you can see on other games.
Horizon is more far cry than witcher, whatever they do I just hope Geralt comes back.

You guys are killing my dreams. As long as it's not a generic create your own character, that didn't work out too well for xenoblade to x and I don't think it'll work for the witcher.

boskee

You guys are killing my dreams. As long as it's not a generic create your own character, that didn't work out too well for xenoblade to x and I don't think it'll work for the witcher.

I think they want to have two IPs:

- The Witcher with a pre-defined character and a rich storyline
- Cyberpunk 2077, sandbox, make-your-own-character kind of game

If they can pull off a story similar to TW3 in Cyberpunk, then I am more than happy for them to make the next TW in a similar vein, but I really don't think those two are compatible.

Don't worry, it won't be character creator. They're doing that for Cyberpunk looks like, so have both types of fans happy.

Exactly my thoughts.

Exentryk

Don't worry, it won't be character creator. They're doing that for Cyberpunk looks like, so have both types of fans happy.

boskee

I could see the next witcher game having Ciri as the main character.

Ciri is certainly suited, and is an obvious choice, to be the next protagonist of The Witcher games. The fact she can travel between different worlds provides so many possibilities for a game. and by writing a solid female lead CDPR could prove, that they're not inherently sexist, as some people continue to believe.

Exentryk

Fighting random bandits with an all powerful Ciri that can travel between worlds would just feel weird. I guess devs could create some scenario where she loses all her powers, but still.
But if she moves and plays like 2B, I won't complain :D

FragrantMammothIrishwaterspaniel.gif

I do like the idea of being able to travel different worlds, because that gives the devs so many more possibilities in location variety.

MartyStu

Ciri is certainly suited, and is an obvious choice, to be the next protagonist of The Witcher games. The fact she can travel between different worlds provides so many possibilities for a game. and by writing a solid female lead CDPR could prove, that they're not inherently sexist, as some people continue to believe.

More important than anything, Ciri lends herself to allowing much more interesting things with the combat system. Like making Ciri a full-on legit mage.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I would guess they wouldn't want that big of a gap. Witcher 4 might be an early next gen game

Maybe. I just see a four year gap between The Witcher (2007) to The Witcher 2 (2011) to The Witcher 3 (2015) to Cyberpunk 2077 (2019) to The Witcher 4 (2023).

I can easily see CDPR being the same as Rockstar is with GTA. One massive game every 4+ years focusing more on quality than quantity. I would be perfectly fine with CDPR taking this approach. In CDPR I trust.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Ciri would be awesome!!! Game could be a combination of fantasy, sci-fi and futuristic rolled into one. Best of all, NO Witcher Senses!!! That alone makes it a must buy.

Arcteryx

Considering they're already going to let us have CC in 2077, I wouldn't be half surprised if W4 allowed us to CC. Granted, there's something unique about having a FULLY fleshed out character, I still think having a CC in the Witcher world would be pretty fucking bananas.

Honestly the only game that would justify using Witcher again to me is having a game starring Ciri and just go freaking nuts with the dimensional travel, having her go into all these different worlds fighting the craziest shit.

If we're gonna have another game in the witcher universe I'd rather play as a court sorceress. That aspect of the universe is super interesting and could lead to some really cool politcal intrigue role-playing, mage combat, and it would be a great way to include a Geralt cameo as he's passing through.
bow-chicka-bow-bow

I want a Witcher game where I own and manage a brothel. I just know I would own the best damn Troll Brothel in all of Kovir. ;-;

HeelPower

I hope its not Ciri ,because the series could get too anime.

What appealed to me the most about Witcher was how grounded it is.Yes witchers are mutants,but they are very much vulnerable physically

If the second game is indeed another Witcher, then we should see it by 2021, as per CDPR's strategy for 2016-2021.

As I wrote in the OP, they're going to develop the second title alongside Cyberpunk 2077. As for the resources to achieve that, well, it's covered in the same strategy:

Sounds great.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Glad to get an update on 2077! Super excited for it. Was hoping for a new announcement this year but seems Gwent is their main focus and we won't get anything on 2077 until 2018. Could easily be a 2019 still.

Didn't know they were working on another title alongside 2077. Can't wait to see what that is. Also we already knew that they wanted to make Cyberpunk a series and not just a one off.

I think they will definitely do another Witcher game. It just won't be Witcher 4. The trilogy was Geralt's story and that is over. Of course he isn't the only Witcher and like they say they have control over it and don't need to go to Sapkowski for permission. I would love Ciri to be The Witcher in the next game.

Horizon is more far cry than witcher, whatever they do I just hope Geralt comes back.

Horizon has more in common with TW I think, with less fleshed out side-quests but better combat. Both are very story driven (which FC isn't), both have a quest system, both have Hunter/Witcher vision, both put an emphasis on planning (Geralt with his potions, Aloy with her traps and arrow types), both are third person, etc.

I'm in the camp that would like to see them go back to the beginning right after the conjunction of the spheres happened and monsters where everywhere. Let us play as one of the first witchers with only a handful of colleagues around the world. Basically, make a Witcher origin story game.

Unfortunately, I can't comment on Cyberpunk. I'm waiting anxiously like the rest of you to finally see it.

I really hope its not Geralt in Witcher 4. He got a great ending in Witcher 3 (well...depending how you played lol). And it would cheapen the shit out of it to get yet another adventure with him. Plz no.

I'd be down for another game set in the world (with an established character, no create a character or anything like that) and maybe have Geralt and others be like what Dandelion was in the previous games. An NPC who happens to be a good acquaintance of the main character.

edit: set in the past as one of the first witchers is a dope idea too.

I really hope its not Geralt in Witcher 4. He got a great ending in Witcher 3 (well...depending how you played lol). And it would cheapen the shit out of it to get yet another adventure with him. Plz no.

I'd be down for another game set in the world (with an established character, no create a character or anything like that) and maybe have Geralt and others be like what Dandelion was in the previous games. An NPC who happens to be a good acquaintance of the main character.

edit: set in the past as one of the first witchers is a dope idea too.

Lambert The Troll-Hunter

Kinyou

Let me play a sorceress in the witcher world. The way they integrate into society and meddle with politics was always very interesting.

Tovarisc

Let me play a sorceress in the witcher world. The way they integrate into society and meddle with politics was always very interesting.

Not sure CDPR would want to make more politics focused Witcher game after backslash they got from TW2's politics focused narrative.

MartyStu

Horizon has more in common with TW I think, with less fleshed out side-quests but better combat. Both are very story driven (which FC isn't), both have a quest system, both have Hunter/Witcher vision, both put an emphasis on planning (Geralt with his potions, Aloy with her traps and arrow types), both are third person, etc.

This is the part that suggests that otherwise.

Questing and being in cities and having conversations in games like Witcher is pretty big. Often it is possible to spends several hours without ever actually having entered combat.

Horizon is closer to Farcry mostly because the core gameplay loop is much more consistently similar.

A new game in the Witcher universe- I could totally see Witcher 4 with Ciri as the playable character, witching get way across the game world. Cdpr plz.

Mifec

So how would that work? You'd only fight wizards or something? Or would you be a weak sorceress? Because someone like Yen can 1 shot Geralt without much trouble.

Yeah, CDPR's writers are accomplished authors too. Jakub Szamałek, the principal writer at CDPR is a relatively young, but already accomplished writer. His 2015 book "Reading from the bone" (Czytanie z kości) has won some awards in Poland, including the best Polish crime novel. It really shows.

Excuse my ignorance, but when people say 'Witcher 3's writing is amazing' or that CDPR have 'amazing writers', does game writing involve just the dialogue of the characters (i.e. what the characters say) or everything from story, to general world building?

As in, what does writing actually entail/come under? Is there a separate job for, let's say character dialogue, for example? I'm just genuinely curious!

Kinyou

Not sure CDPR would want to make more politics focused Witcher game after backslash they got from TW2's politics focused narrative.
Oh didn't know about a backlash
So how would that work? You'd only fight wizards or something? Or would you be a weak sorceress? Because someone like Yen can 1 shot Geralt without much trouble.

I leave that to CDPR to figure out :p

The intro to Witcher 3 made Yen look very much like a glass cannon who can really dish out but one misstep and she could have died.

tuxfool

Banned
Excuse my ignorance, but when people say 'Witcher 3's writing is amazing' or that CDPR have 'amazing writers', does game writing involve just the dialogue of the characters (i.e. what the characters say) or everything from story, to general world building?

As in, what does writing actually entail/come under? Is there a separate job for, let's say character dialogue, for example? I'm just genuinely curious!

Sometimes you make the distinction between the dialogue and world building and the narratives in them. The Witcher excels in all three so most people just put that down under writing. Who does what on the writing team depends on the game, some specifically have different writers handling different parts, like one designing the narrative with dialogue writers filing in from the outline. But in most of the best written games, I've noticed that all writers contribute on all levels of writing.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Sounds reasonable that CDP will return to the Witcher franchise somewhere in the future. Seeing the insane development of them as a studios from Witcher 1 to 3 I'm not worried at all about them 'milking' the franchise. What we've seen in the trilogy is such a tiny fraction of that world, compared to all that happens in the book. And that's not even considering all the additional stories that are mentioned but not shown in the games.

They have such an amazingly rich world of lore to work with. There's a lot of interesting stuff from before the trilogy (including everything regarding how Geralt became such a famous Witcher), but the world is also way more then just Geralt's perspective. Still, I wouldn't mind if they return to Geralt. He's an interesting fellow :).

Top Bottom