• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CDPR's investor's conference: Interesting bits, Cyberpunk 2077, The Witcher 4

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Hope they maintain a focused narrative, not a formless "Create a character". I wouldn't mind them creating a new character with Andrzej Sapkowski, chronicling his or her adventures beginning from Witcher school and his or her exploits beyond it. Emphasis on transitions of time as this character grows from each entry.

Tovarisc

The intro to Witcher 3 made Yen look very much like a glass cannon who can really dish out but one misstep and she could have died.

Magic that sorceresses like Yen and Triss wield is dangerous and powerful, but they aren't your D&D battle mages that can sling fireballs size of SUV for days without getting tired. For e.g. protective bubbles that you first saw by Triss and then by Sheala in TW2 were powerful magic, but drained a lot out of sorceresses.

Ciri is huge exception because her power comes from Elder Blood.

Ahasverus

They are the new Rockstar after Rockstar got carried away with the microtransaction shit. They're simply alwas deliver astounding quality and good fan relationships.
Hope they maintain a focused narrative, not a formless "Create a character". I wouldn't mind them creating a new character with Andrzej Sapkowski, chronicling his or her adventures beginning from Witcher school and his or her exploits beyond it. Emphasis on transitions of time as this character grows from each entry.
I like this idea. Make a new story WITH Andrzejj.. and pay him some cash! haha

Zakalwe

Banned
I'd really like to see a side-story set in The Witcher universe. Playing as someone who's not the saviour or at the centre of the world.

They could still have Geralt and Co involved as NPCs. Perhaps a story about a mage so you could use full on magic instead of swords?

All I know is that world has endless potential.

And of course I'm hyped for Cyberpunk. It just sounds like a dream game.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
In the brightest timeline, CD Projekt hires some of the guys that did the combat in Horizon: Zero Dawn to improve Witcher's combat :).

original.jpg

LKSmash

CDPR becoming what Bioware should be with Dragon Age and Mass Effect.

Honestly, they're probably already there. They opted to double down on themselves as opposed to taking the big money offers from huge publishers. Bioware easily should've been able to put themselves in the same, if not loftier, position.

Gattsu25

Banned
In the brightest timeline, CD Projekt hires some of the guys that did the combat in Horizon: Zero Dawn to improve Witcher's combat :).
The melee combat in Horizon is.. not great. I know some people on GAF like to play up their dislike of Witcher combat but let's not get ridiculous.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
LOL :D

Horizon has far, far worse melee combat than what TW 3 has.

I can give you melee but about everything else combat-wise, HZD does better then W3. Mind you, I'm not calling W3 combat weak, I was enjoying it heaps trying different playstyles (my last Geralt turned into a massive bomb-throwing machine of death) but HZD's combat is just heaps and heaps more satisfying.

I can give you melee but about everything else combat-wise, HZD does better then W3. Mind you, I'm not calling W3 combat weak, I was enjoying it heaps trying different playstyles (my last Geralt turned into a massive bomb-throwing machine of death) but HZD's combat is just heaps and heaps more satisfying.

But Witcher is a melee game. The other stuff is just to complement swordplay.

I also disagree, Witcher 3 has the best arpg combat this gen imo, but that is neither here nor there.

Gattsu25

Banned
But Witcher is a melee game. The other stuff is just to complement swordplay.
I mean, the stuff that Witcher doesn't really focus on is done better by the game that does basically focus on it more.

Whereas the stuff that Horizon really doesn't focus on is done better by the game that does basically focus on it more.

And then that one game that exclusively focuses on the melee combat does it better than them both.

What. No. Although I think TW3 is overall better than HZD, the melee in HZD is better than TW3.
I-- err-- ... How?

I don't understand this opinion at all.

Zakalwe

Banned
The melee combat in Horizon is.. not great. I know some people on GAF like to play up their dislike of Witcher combat but let's not get ridiculous.

Melee combat in Horizon is more like a panic button to use when shit gets close, I don't think it was ever intended to be anything more than it was. The focus was obviously the ranged combat.

This doesn't mean GG can't do melee, I'm pretty sure with how they nailed combat overall they could give CDPR good advice about their combat mechanics.

pablito

But Witcher 3 and Horizon hardly attempt the same thing and have different priorities. You can say bombs and traps (Yrden? lol) but it's a big stretch.

Horizon's ranged combat is excellent but unless Witcher 4 is going to do something like that, there's nothing to take from.

What. No. Although I think TW3 is overall better than HZD, the melee in HZD is better than TW3.

GAF is taking its hatred of TW3's combat to new heights! Exciting!

HZD's melee is not better than TW3's in any way.

Tovarisc

Same time Geralt at his core is meant to be this methodological sword fighter, not be sprinting around like rabbit and firing arrows and bombs over his shoulder. CDPR stretched alchemy and signs very far so they could work even as standalone build and minimize need of swords, but those have always been things that are meant to support and enhance Witcher's ability as sword fighter.

giphy.gif

Melee combat in Horizon is more like a panic button to use when shit gets close, I don't think it was ever intended to be anything more than it was. The focus was obviously the ranged combat.

Of course, for some gamers who like/expect options in their games it did feel lacking.

Yeah Horizons melee combat is basically the same as Rise of the Tomb Raider's. Just kind of a 'fuck off' button

Artdayne

The main thing Horizon has over Witcher is more smooth movement controls and better encounter design.

I'm a fan of CDPR, but let's not get carried away. W1 and W2 were not masterpieces.

Fucking hell, W2 was replete with bugs, and half a game.

I mean, I wouldn't say they are masterpieces but they are very good games and they were well received on release by fans and critics.

I'm a fan of CDPR, but let's not get carried away. W1 and W2 were not masterpieces.

tuxfool

Banned

Of course, for some gamers who like/expect options in their games it did feel lacking.

Pretty much, which is why I think it is idiotic to compare. They're two different systems designed for completely different ways of playing a game.

Hence my snark about hiring Gears people above. There is no indication that a studio that primarily has experience in ranged combat (in all their games?) would suddenly be good at melee combat.

Zakalwe

Banned
Hence my snark about hiring Gears people above. There is no indication that a studio that primarily has experience in ranged combat (in all their games?) would suddenly be good at melee combat.

I edited my post quickly after posting to answer that point: I think a studio who excels at ranged could teach a studio designing a melee system. Of course they might not be able to school them on the actual melee mechanics, but they could share their thoughts on things like character movement, how the UI works during combat, encounter design, etc...

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Same time Geralt at his core is meant to be this methodological sword fighter, not be sprinting around like rabbit and firing arrows and bombs over his shoulder. CDPR stretched alchemy and signs very far so they could work even as standalone build and minimize need of swords, but those have always been things that are meant to support and enhance Witcher's ability as sword fighter.

I should have fleshed out my post a little bit. In the books, Geralt is often laying traps for monsters. While playing HZD I was thinking how the game really makes you feel like a hunter. Laying ambushes, using traps, funneling enemies - I think HZD really did this well and elements of it could work really well in a Witcher game too.

Also, I think W3 was much stronger in melee combat when fighting human enemies then HZD is, but HZD did a way better job fighting medium/large sized 'monsters' and flying creatures. Fighting a giant or a group of harpies in Witcher 3 was never as much an adrenaline ride as battling their equivalents in HZD.

But I/we are going offtopic a lot right now.

Honestly, they're probably already there. They opted to double down on themselves as opposed to taking the big money offers from huge publishers. Bioware easily should've been able to put themselves in the same, if not loftier, position.

I don't know about that. There are very, very few independent* developers remaining. It's a very risky business where one mistake can cost you dearly. CDPR has an entire digital sales arm that helps smooth the finances in the lengthy years between projects nevermind that they are a publicly traded company.

It's a minor miracle that CDPR has been able to evolve the way they have and I have serious doubts anyone else could have done the same.

*from publishers. CDPR is not truly independent because they still have to answer to their shareholders.

tuxfool

Banned
I edited my post quickly after posting to answer that point: I think a studio who excels at ranged could teach a studio designing a melee system. Of course they might not be able to school them on the actual melee mechanics, but they could share their thoughts on things like character movement, how the UI works during combat, encounter design, etc...

Sure, but this also requires a more comprehensive description, than just using the implication of "if this, then that".

obeast

So how would that work? You'd only fight wizards or something? Or would you be a weak sorceress? Because someone like Yen can 1 shot Geralt without much trouble.

I dunno to what extent this is a retcon from what's been established in the books, but I think the games do a good job balancing magic - sorcerers and sorceresses are portrayed as something like artillery, not demigods. They can alter an entire battlefield with some preparation, but are not particularly overwhelming in combat without preparation. I dunno how accurate it is to say "Yen could 1 shot Geralt" in the games' universe - it seems like it would depend on the circumstances, which is kinda balanced. She nearly gets killed by some rando with a sword in the intro, for instance.

The real problem, I think, is that magic in the Witcher universe seems really complex and versatile, and that would be hard to represent in gameplay systems. Witcher signs are easy, but how would you represent flexible sorcery? Seems like it's more trouble than it's worth.

I'm just now playing Blood and Wine for the first time and loving it, so I'd love to have more Geralt adventures even though everything I've heard is that Blood and Wine is as nice of a send off for Geralt as anything.

Still, the way Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine are structured as basically their own little adventures makes me want more little short story style adventures with Geralt. I know the world of The Witcher is a lot bigger than just Geralt but I would miss interacting with all the characters in the Witcher world via Geralt if they do a non Geralt Witcher game.

Yeah, TW3 was probably their best release but TW1 and TW2 had issues at launch. But to CDPR's credit, I think a huge part of their reputation was built on fixing both of those games to the best of their ability.

That's kind of what has me a little anxious about Cyberpunk. It sort of took CDPR 2 full games to get to where they were with TW3. So will Cyberpunk be kind of rough around the edges like TW1 since they're likely starting fresh on whole new gameplay systems?

Bolivar687

Banned
1. Cyberpunk is coming out before Star Citizen.

2. Witcher combat is fine. I think a lot of the problems come from people playing it on sub-30fps console versions. At higher framerates it's very fast and dynamic. Larger fights can feel like slogs until you start utilizing your diverse array of options. I like how HZD feels more weighty though.

3. All the Witcher games are masterpieces. Even W1 had that signature implementation of real choices that I've never seen pulled off by other modern WRPGs. It also explored a different archetype of fantasy (small town horror, detective noir, fairy tale, genocidal war) that hit all the notes that make Sapkowski's works so dramatic and uniquely varied.

Witcher 2 is just epic, from tge moment you create a new save file and start storming the LaVolettes' castle. That music... that ending.

I think I'll replay it in 4k.

obeast

That's kind of what has me a little anxious about Cyberpunk. It sort of took CDPR 2 full games to get to where they were with TW3. So will Cyberpunk be kind of rough around the edges like TW1 since they're likely starting fresh on whole new gameplay systems?

I would be shocked if it's that bad - they were nobodies when they made TW1, and working with a creaky engine that was not really up to the level of their ambition. Cyberpunk is using a version of the TW2 / TW3 engine, and with a massive team of (I assume) high-level talent. I expect it'll be chock full of bugs just because it's a big RPG, and those always have bugs at launch. But I would expect much, much more polish than you see in TW1.

BouncyFrag

I'd love a Witcher collection for the consoles or at least the first game as I can play TW2 & 3 on the Xbone.

Glad to hear we may get more Witcher content down the road.

bunkitz

More Witcher, please! If not a new game, then at least a remastered version of the first two game? With plenty of improvements in the weaker areas? (I've read, on multiple occasions, that the first's combat is awful)

Iastfan112

Neo Member
If they go character creation route please no female witchers, it's just so adverse to the lore. Plenty of other routes you could go to have female playable characters

Head.spawn

I'm thinking 2019 for Cyberpunk release.

I wonder if they are considering bringing the older Witcher games up to speed with an HD release for current gen in the meantime.

Top Bottom