• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cedar Point, Ohio - DISCUSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amir0x

Banned
Thanks for the tips everyone. Man, maybe I should try to do the weekend before Labor Day. Would be a little easier. It sounds like lines are terrible :<

Amir0x said:
Thanks for the tips everyone. Man, maybe I should try to do the weekend before Labor Day. Would be a little easier. It sounds like lines are terrible :<

Yeah, it will probably be packed Labor Day weekend, may want to rethink the day you are going...

Dude Abides

Banned
The amazement park! If you want to avoid lines you should not be going on the weekend and you should get there right when it opens.

You're in for a treat, Ami. Cedar Point is the Louvre of amusement parks. Sure, other parks like Disney and Universal have much better themed areas, but if you go to a park for pure coaster goodness, no other park on the planet compares.

I love the relatively newer coasters like Millennium Force and Maverick, but my personal favorites will always be Magnum and Gemini. A trip to the Point isn't complete without about three rides on each.

Amir0x said:
The single best time of the year to go is about the 25-30th of August. All of the Ohio kids will have just started school and the park will be relatively empty. It's definitely the best time to go, IMO.

Green Scar said:
Someone post that picture of it, the one that always gets posted when someone mentions Cedar Point. I can't find it, but it's the most glorious picture of a theme park you'll ever see.
2d9o3ft.jpg

It's a glorious place.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
go early and run to the big coasters first. Millennium Force is what I'd recommend. The Magnum is an amazing ride whose line sometimes dwindles to a 5 minute wait later in the afternoon. Eat beforehand as the food is ridiculously expensive for what you get.

D23

I went to Cedar Point two years ago, on Halloween. Best theme park ever.. get to sit in the front for dragster. so much fun!

it's actually in Sandusky i think. unless they actually have a city named after them now.

Mantis is an underrated ride. Wild Cat is always good for a no-line thrill.

EDIT: forgot about the Wicked Twister. no one is ever on that and it's worth it for the "oh shit what if this thing flies off the top" feeling 10 or 12 times.

also RIP Demon Drop :(

As an Ohioan, I've been to Cedar Point plenty of times, I wouldn't go on Labor day weekend, holidays are really bad for lines, and make sure you do Top Thrill Dragster first, its the best ride and it has the longest lines, theres also a good chance that it will be closed periodically throughout the day

pnjtony

Rethink the days you're going as it will be packed on that weekend.

Stay in the park until closing as the last hour or so it's open the lines are really short. I remember waiting a total of 4 hours for Millennium Force the year it opened but only waited about 45 minutes just prior to the park closing. If you still have energy in you, buzz around the whole park in the last 90 minutes riding all the long wait rides.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Amir0x said:
If you can, I'd really recommend going during the week instead. Not sure if its possible, but like I and that other guy said, all the Ohio kids are in school, so the park is much emptier.

thefro

I like the Magnum the best, but I haven't been to the park since 2002ish or so. Great airtime on the coaster layout and the line gets short at the end of the day.

Raptor, Millennium Force, Top Fuel Dragster, and Maverick are all musts, and then I'd try to ride the rest of the non-kiddie coasters that you can. Power Tower and Snake River Falls are cool too. There's supposed to be a Shoot the Rapids log flume ride too this year.

Jokey665

JzeroT1437 said:
The only time I've been I had a minor case of Mono.

: (
Oh man that reminds me, one of the times when I went as a kid I was sick and couldn't really ride anything fancy so I stayed with my mom (who doesn't like coasters anyway) while everyone else rode stuff. At one point we decided to go on the little chairlift or whatever it's called, and I threw up over the rail and it landed on somebody. :X

Seth C

The_Technomancer said:
If you can, I'd really recommend going during the week instead. Not sure if its possible, but like I and that other guy said, all the Ohio kids are in school, so the park is much emptier.

How do you think it will be July 5th? I'm off for the holiday that day, but not sure if lots of others will be?

Seth C said:
How do you think it will be July 5th? I'm off for the holiday that day, but not sure if lots of others will be?
It will be crazy, crazy, crazy. Since the 4th is on a Sunday, you'll have lots of people off of work on the 5th.

If at all possible, I'd wait another day or two. It will still probably be pretty busy, but not as bad as it will be on the 5th.

We went in early September and went on 3-4 rides without any lineups (right when it opened) and later in the day they were still small, never more than 40 minutes. I got massively fucked though, saved Top thrill for the end and when we got to the front of the line (2 trips left) it started pouring, I missed the ride. Shit, I was pissed the entire day.

GO on Top thrill first.

Edit: Maverick > all

Nazgul_Hunter said:
Best roller coaster park in the world. Millennium Force and Top Thrill Dragsters should be first on your list as they're awesome and get the longest lines.
all that needs to be said.

get there when the park opens and you'll be able to get on all the awesome rides in < 30 minutes.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
It's easily the best roller coaster park I've been to, so much fun. I haven't gone on a Holiday weekend in many years though, as the lines are hell.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I haven't been to a non-Disney amusement park in like, 20 years, mostly because I hate roller coasters. Does Cedar Point have anything besides roller coasters?

(one of the reasons I love Disney is that it's got stuff besides roller coasters)

LakeEarth

I've had 3 occasions where I tried to ride on the Millenium Force 4 times and still have yet to go on (even though I've been on all the newer ones). First time it just came out and the wait was 3+ hours, twice it has rained while in line (once just a few away from getting on, after over an hour in line, with a 10% chance of precipitation) and once the people I came with were "too tired" to go on it. Next time, I swear!

Trurl

Banned
thetrin said:
I haven't been to a non-Disney amusement park in like, 20 years, mostly because I hate roller coasters. Does Cedar Point have anything besides roller coasters?

(one of the reasons I love Disney is that it's got stuff besides roller coasters)
Unless you live in Northern, Ohio, it wouldn't be worth your time to go to Cedar Point if you don't like roller coasters at least a little.

thetrin said:

yeah dude they got everything really

lots of awesome small "carnival-type" rides, lots of games to play, full arcade, even Snoopy land (RIP Berenstain Bear Country ;_;) for the kids.

it's the real deal man

Striker

blame space said:
it's actually in Sandusky i think. unless they actually have a city named after them now.

Mantis is an underrated ride. Wild Cat is always good for a no-line thrill.

EDIT: forgot about the Wicked Twister. no one is ever on that and it's worth it for the "oh shit what if this thing flies off the top" feeling 10 or 12 times.

also RIP Demon Drop :(
Ya, what the fuck? :\

Seth C

BertramCooper said:
It will be crazy, crazy, crazy. Since the 4th is on a Sunday, you'll have lots of people off of work on the 5th.

If at all possible, I'd wait another day or two. It will still probably be pretty busy, but not as bad as it will be on the 5th.

But will it be worse than on that Monday than it would be on some other Saturday or Sunday? Because those are my only options.

vermadas

I used to be scared as shit of roller coasters.

My parents (mostly my dad) were persistent about trying to change my mind about them though. We lived in SE Michigan and would visit Cedar Point at least once a year. They would usually get me to go on the Iron Dragon (in retrospect I have no idea how I could have been scared of that thing), the Corkscrew, and occasionally the Gemini. I was usually too terrified to enjoy the rides though.

One year my dad convinced me to get in line at the Magnum. This probably would have been within the first few years of its completion, which meant that, at the time, it was the tallest roller coaster in the park, and the tallest (complete circuit) in the world. It was intimidating. I had no intention of getting on the ride. I was going to chicken out before getting in the car, but that's not what happened. Instead I found myself getting in and buckling my seat belt. The fear was overwhelming. That was probably the longest hill I've ever climbed in a roller coaster. I remember screaming all the way down. Something changed then. I think I was too exhausted to be scared any more. Instead I found myself enjoying the thrill of the ride. Suddenly the fun had overcome the fear.

For a few years my dad owned a boat and docked it on Lake Erie. Getting to Cedar Point by boat was a much shorter trip than in the car. We would go with a friend of mine and his parents, who also had a boat. One of my favorite memories involves a late evening at the park. The weather had taken a turn for the worse and the rain shut everything down. We got our hands stamped and returned to our boats for a while. After an hour or so the rain stopped and the park was still open. The rain had scared off the vast majority of people. We ran to the Raptor and stepped on the ride in only a few minutes. We rode it several times and had virtually no wait to get on. It was absolutely fantastic.

It's been a few years since my wife and I have been there. It was the Maverick's first year and both times we went that Summer the Maverick was either closed the majority of the day or just had insane wait times. I'm sad I haven't gotten to ride it yet.

So yeah, I know this thread was started with the intention of giving advice, but other people before me have already thrown out some good tips. Talking about CP gets me all nostalgic. I need to talk to my wife about going back this Summer. It's been too long...

Seth C said:
But will it be worse than on that Monday than it would be on some other Saturday or Sunday? Because those are my only options.
I'd say so.

CP usually has a bunch of extra stuff around the 4th (promotions, fireworks, etc.) that will draw lots of people to the park. Also, you're probably going to be dealing with quite a lot of people staying in the resorts for the extended holiday weekend.

So yeah, I'd say a random Saturday or Sunday would be a much better choice. You'll still get crowds, but I can't imagine it would be nearly as busy as it will be around the 4th.

Amir0x

Banned
blame space said:
amir0x are you gonna take any drugs

um well i hadn't really penned anything in my druggie notebook yet but i suppose as these things tend to go i'll probably get really drunk and we'll see who i meet at the clubs

Boy do I have something to say about this!

So the gf and I going doing the "weekend getaway" thing for 4th of July. I vote Cedar Point. She votes Niagara Falls.

Of course I don't win.

I'm half kidding when I say I'm pissed about it, but I'm pissed about it. Last time we went was four or five years ago, and to her that equates to "we were just there," whereas neither of us have been to the Falls. Meanwhile, last time we went I didn't even get to ride Millennium Force, and had to ride Top Thrill by myself 'cause she was scared.

I keep telling her, I would die to be "scared" of roller coasters again like I was when I was kid! That's half the fun! But she doesn't agree and so I'm screwed.

But yeah, park is a 9/10 easily, and the only reason I'm not voting a 10 is because I've been there like 20 times, so it is slightly a little stale to me. But for a first-timer ... it's sick, yeah.

Lines? Meh. It's all part of the experience. :D

stupei

Buckethead said:
The lines will be shite on Labor Day weekend.

General rule of thumb: The best rides, imo, are the oldest ones.

I can't believe you gave a warning for the Raptor inducing headaches but barely said a thing about the Mean Streak. I've never been on that thing without it beating the shit out of me, it's so unstable and constantly whipping you back and forth along the rickety track. :lol

Raptor's my personal favorite, though.

Amir0x

Banned
I love rides that really hurt me. Best feeling of a park is waking up the next morning sore. I love that feeling for some reason.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Amir0x said:
I love rides that really hurt me. Best feeling of a park is waking up the next morning sore. I love that feeling for some reason.
I was devastated when they knocked down Shockwave for Superman. The line for Shockwave? 10minutes because people were weak and didn't want to get hurt.

Amir0x said:
Ride Mean Streak and Mantis about five times each and you'll be on Cloud Nine. :lol

stupei said:
I can't believe you gave a warning for the Raptor inducing headaches but barely said a thing about the Mean Streak.

That's true. But it's head-rattling vs. wild whipping. Much more jarring on Raptor, imo.

Buckethead said:
That's true. But it's head-rattling vs. wild whipping. Much more jarring on Raptor, imo.
Have people really experienced that much discomfort on Raptor? I've found all of my rides on it to be quite comfortable, even with all of the inversions.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
Weekends will always have shitty lines. I strongly recommend a weekday.

These are my coaster suggestions:

Highly Recommended : Millennium Force, Maverick, Raptor, Dragster, Magnum, Mantis

Recommended but not necessary: Gemini, Iron Dragon, Blue Streak, Corkscrew, Wicked Twister

Not missing much: Mean Streak, Mine Ride, Disaster Transport, Wildcat

Millennium & Maverick are my favorites. The two best coasters I've ever experienced.

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
Since the "best" ones have already been thrown out there I'm gonna recommend Wicked Twister - short lines, really fun though. Kind of like a warm up for Top Thrill actually.

Also, there are some other rides that shouldn't be neglected even though they're not coasters. I'm talking bout Skyhawk, an awesome awesome ride. Little to no wait for that one, and I could go on it over and over. It basically gives you nothing to grip or hold on to and then shoots you up for maximum airtime. Really cool. MaxAir is basically the same thing but it spins at the same time.

Cedar Point rules. Have fun.

LakeEarth

Pseudo_Sam said:
Since the "best" ones have already been thrown out there I'm gonna recommend Wicked Twister - short lines, really fun though. Kind of like a warm up for Top Thrill actually.

Also, there are some other rides that shouldn't be neglected even though they're not coasters. I'm talking bout Skyhawk, an awesome awesome ride. Little to no wait for that one, and I could go on it over and over. It basically gives you nothing to grip or hold on to and then shoots you up for maximum airtime. Really cool. MaxAir is basically the same thing but it spins at the same time.

Cedar Point rules. Have fun.
Those two rides are fricken huge.

AVclub

If I had to pick a single spot as my favorite place on Earth, it would be Cedar Point. Amazing coaster park! I have been on every coaster in the place and my favorites are Millennium Force and that ridiculously high wooden coast (I forgot what it's called, bit it's at the back of the park. Top Thrill Dragster is an amazing experience. I actually prefer it to Kingda Ka (which is actually a bit faster and taller).

Have a great time! Keep hydrated and wear sun screen. As others have said, going on a holiday weekend is probably not going to give you the best park experience.

rataven

My dad considered himself a rollarcoaster aficionado, so growing up, the majority of my childhood family vacations included a stop at the closest amusement park. I'm still traumatized by some of the rides I've been on. So I've been to my fair share of parks, and Cedar Point really is the best, IMO.

The Raptor is my personal favorite coaster anywhere. Don't skip that one. Maverick is runner-up. I also tend to like the older ones like Gemini, Magnum, and Mean Streak. Ha, I remember CP has a coal mine coaster. I think that was my first coaster as a kid and I was so proud of myself for riding it :lol Disaster Transport, Blue Streak, and Iron Dragon are lame, but they're good for a break. Avoid Corkscrew and Mantis at all costs. PAINFUL and not fun.

If you like water rides, there are a few in the park (Thunder Canyon!) but there's also a water park attached that's kind of fun. I've only been there once so can't say much about it. But it was decent.

And the CP wiki page has loads of info. Good for planning.

peach

I live 2.5 hours from Cedar Point so I've been there tons of times. I've never thought of how great it really is because I've been there so much.

-Power Tower dropping downward is pretty fun. They give you the option to drop down or shoot up. Avoid shoot up. It's boring. But on dropping down, you never know when they will drop you
which freaks you out, especially when you're coupled with scared girls. Awesome stuff. I really like this ride. Wait is 30-45 minutes from what I remember. For others probably a 3/5 but me a 4/5.

Last time I was there there was no line for going up so my cousin and I rode it again and again. The ride attendant told us to hold our arms and legs straight out when we went up... I thought that was a little weird but when you get to the top you come up out of your seat a little bit and feel weightless... it's like when you're driving & you hit that perfect bump that makes your stomach flop.

Millennium's line is usually pretty long (4 hours last time I was there) but well worth it.

hermit7

Mantis sucks monkey balls its so bad. It is so jarring, and I get the worst headaches riding it.

On the other hand Millennium Force is fantastic, as well as Magnum and the Dragster. Sadly I wasn't able to ride the Maverick because it was closed when we were getting ready to get in line.

Been there five times now I think, and every time is better.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
I've never understood why so many people dislike Mantis. I've always really liked it. Never found it uncomfortable and if they turn off the initial break on the drop(which has happened a few times) it gets waaaaay better.

Is it stand up coasters in general or specifically the mantis?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom