• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cedar Point, Ohio - DISCUSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultron87

Amir0x said:
I love rides that really hurt me. Best feeling of a park is waking up the next morning sore. I love that feeling for some reason.

Ride Corkscrew a few times then. It was built before they knew how to build loops that didn't hurt you horribly. And there should be approximately no line.

Trurl

Banned
blame space said:
page two motherfuckers NW OH represent
W00t.

OT: Every time I tell people that I'm from Upper Sandusky they mention Cedar Point. Then I have to tell them that Upper Sandusky is actually 60 miles southwest of Sandusky. That always leads to me having to explain watersheds and the topology of Ohio which is a conversation that nobody wanted.

Upper Egypt. It's south, fuckers.

ultron87 said:
Ride Corkscrew a few times then. It was built before they knew how to build loops that didn't hurt you horribly. And there should be approximately no line.
Yeah, Corkscrew hurts a lot, too. I haven't ridden it in ages.

Iceman

my 2 cents (only been there once)

the best two rides by far are top thrill dragster and maverick

we did maverick first and it kind of ruined the other rides for me, save top thrill dragster

magnum was pretty good, but half that ride is the friggen 300 foot climb. (I almost passed out before we even got to the top. I know.. big wuss). In retrospect, 93 mph is insane.. but I just don't remember it... all was a blur.

mean streak was disappointing ... my disappointment came with how out of control it wasn't. It didn't rattle my skull, and I never felt like I was in danger of coming out of my seat. Maybe it was just that day, but I've been shaken to powder by most other classic wooden coasters (goliath, american eagle, the one at the six flags near san jose, etc.). It was just a smooth solid ride. Luckily the wait wasn't very long. 15 minutes?

Top thrill was 3+ hours. holy carp! But that 14 second ride was worth it. I promise you it's worth it.

and don't miss maverick, it's like riding a bucking bronco (I imagine), that launch scared the hell out of me.

This thread is making me nostalgic...I went to school near Sandusky and went to Cedar Point a bunch of times. A little depressing that a number of the older "short-line" rides people are citing were new and shiny the last time I was there. Now I'm watching a lot of these rides on Youtube (which is the only way I can enjoy rollercoasters anymore :))--man, it's still a gorgeous park...

Halcyon

I live in NW PA, and go to cedar point probably once every year or two.

Millenium Force is the best ride there. I always basically run to that first because you can get in in 10 minutes in the morning.

After that I get on Maverick which is a fun fast twisty coaster, but hurts my neck.

Then I'll do the Gemini cause I think it's fun, then Magnum, then Power Tower. I skip some of the spinny rides cause they tend to give me a headache. Disaster Transport is next because Disaster Transport is awesome. Then we'll do the midway/eat. Then do the Raptor.

That usually takes me a whole day with lines.

andymcc

Banned
a group of my friends have rented a van and we've decided we're going to cedar point on thursday. i haven't been in like two years or so, is thursday a better day to go to the park than on the weekends? i'd hope it's a least a LITTLE less crowded. anyone know which rides are usually the least crowded at the park's opening?

andymcc

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
sheeeeyit. :lol

be sure to take a visor or white towel to put over your head.

bring your own water. $5/bottle is not cool.

i didn't think the park allowed bottled water? i was going to buy a bottle and reuse it at the water fountains throughout the day.

andymcc said:
i didn't think the park allowed bottled water? i was going to buy a bottle and reuse it at the water fountains throughout the day.
ooooh. sorry, I don't recall.

but definitely take something for your head. it really is miserable.

and get there early. when the park opens. you'll have no wait times and can get on all the best rides at least once within 10 minutes for each ride.

guaranteed.

MIMIC

Banned
Ugh, was supposed to go with a bunch of my friends but I practically have to plan it around their work schedules which is pretty much a bitch if I want everyone to go. I may just end up going with my brother or something.

A couple of summers ago, I'd rode everything in the park except for Power Tower. For some reason, a vertical drop scared the shit out of me so I avoided that ride every time I went to Cedar Point....until my friends INSISTED that we ride it. Ugh....why did they want to ride that? :lol

So I got on it....and I will never get on it again =p It was fun, it was scary but it's not something that I'd do over and over again.

But no one wanted to get on Sky Hawk with me. Couldn't believe they chickened out. Now THAT'S a fun ride.

andycapps

Just chiming in here, but the Maverick is definitely my favorite ride there, followed closely by the Dragster. Maverick has everything, ridiculous speed, height, and tons of corkscrews and loops. Very smooth ride. Riding in the front is pretty amazing on that one. Dragster is great but seems to attract even worse lines.

Avoid Mean Streak like the plague. That ride almost ruined my day last time I was there. I felt something pop in my back and I was grimacing and cussing at every turn and jolt of the car after that. The indoor ride, I forget what it is, always makes me nauseous for some reason. I think it's the smell in there combined with not being able to see where I'm going. Smells musty or like dry ice to me.

andymcc

Banned
andycapps said:
Avoid Mean Streak like the plague. That ride almost ruined my day last time I was there. I felt something pop in my back and I was grimacing and cussing at every turn and jolt of the car after that. The indoor ride, I forget what it is, always makes me nauseous for some reason. I think it's the smell in there combined with not being able to see where I'm going. Smells musty or like dry ice to me.

i was trying to remember which wooden coaster wrecked my shit when i was there last, i'm pretty sure it was the mean streak.

does the gemini have a backwards racing car? or do they both face forward? king's island in cinci changed theirs to both being front-facing and it makes me sad. :(

ToxicAdam

cedar.jpg

Cedar Point has announced a new ride for 2011 -- a giant 30-story-tall swing on its Lake Erie beach.

The $5 million ride will evoke the park's history, because for many years Cedar Point had a huge swinging ride actually IN Lake Erie. Old photos show riders in bathing costumes swinging around, over and into the waves.

The new ride, Wind Seeker, will be nearly as tall as the Millenium Force roller coaster, said spokesman Robin Innes. It will be 301 feet tall. Each swing will have two people in it, feet dangling. At its top spinning speed, it will go 25 to 30 miles per hour.

The ride replaces Ocean Motion, which will be torn down at the end of this season.

Knotts Berry Farm will be building something similar.

LakeEarth

I'm going to be going there on labor day. I know how terrible of a time it is to go and it will be busy as hell, but that's when my friends are free to go.

CrazyDude

Sorry for bumping this old thread, but I am wondering if I should skip going to Cedar Point on Sunday due to the rain. Should I or not?

This is the forecast:

Sunday: Occasional showers and possibly a thunderstorm. High near 54. North wind between 7 and 16 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.

Tenks

I wouldn't let that forecast scare me away. In fat I'd hope it scared others away and it wouldn't be so packed.

Machine

I've been there when it rains. Some rides will shut down while it rains but once the rain stops and they've had a chance to dry out, the rides will start back up. Perfect time to nip into the saloon and have a few beers!

zero_suit

CrazyDude said:
Sorry for bumping this old thread, but I am wondering if I should skip going to Cedar Point on Sunday due to the rain. Should I or not?

This is the forecast:

Sunday: Occasional showers and possibly a thunderstorm. High near 54. North wind between 7 and 16 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.

Well, the lines certainly won't be as long.

Nazgul_Hunter said:
Best roller coaster park in the world. Millennium Force and Top Thrill Dragsters should be first on your list as they're awesome and get the longest lines.
indeed.

pro-tip: get there when the park is opening. ride all the awesome rides 2x in less than an hour because there are no lines yet.

andymcc

Banned
i'm going next saturday. :p i'm going on a father-son trip for the first time in YEARS. can't wait to make my old man ride the top-thrill dragster.

Tenks

Machine said:
I've been there when it rains. Some rides will shut down while it rains but once the rain stops and they've had a chance to dry out, the rides will start back up. Perfect time to nip into the saloon and have a few beers!

Yeah last time I was there Top Thrill was very off/on because it was drizzling all day. If the weather isn't perfect that ride shuts the fuck down.

andycapps

CrazyDude said:

This is the forecast:

High of 54 with rain means it's going to be cold.. If you do that, definitely wear stuff that you don't mind getting very wet. You may run into rides being closed a lot but you probably won't wait in long lines. YMMV and all that.

Tenks

Dreams-Visions said:
indeed.

pro-tip: get there when the park is opening. ride all the awesome rides 2x in less than an hour because there are no lines yet.

That doesn't really work that well on weekends. It works masterfully on weekdays. I worked at King's Island, which at the time was far less popular than Cedar Point, for 4 years and during nice weekends the park was jam packed the 1 hour time lull before rides even opened.

If I was an out-of-towner and really wanted to enjoy the park I'd personally try and go on a Tuesday. That seemed to be the least busy day of the week. I know that isn't always possible.

Retro

On Lake Erie, the weather tends to blow in and out pretty quick, so even if it starts to rain you can duck into one of the arcades or something to wait it out, and most of the lines have covered areas, if I remember right... you should be fine.

Anyways...I grew up relatively close to Cedar Point (Wood County represent?), so we'd try to have family gatherings there as often as we could, even after I moved to Indiana when I was 8.

All of the recommendations in this thread have been great, but three notes;

- It is a long standing tradition to try and pick which car will finish first on the Gemini, Red or Blue. Being on the winning car entitles one to bragging rights for the rest of the day.

- The Blue Streak is pretty meh, until you realize it's almost half a century old, the oldest roller coaster in the park. It has just enough dips and drops to be worth riding anyways, but fucking ride it to pay your respects to a great park.

- What's with the Iron Dragon hate? It's not the most thrilling ride, but the way it swings beneath the track always struck me as a very smooth, fluid ride. I can't recall seeing many other hanging-car coasters, but I haven't been to a coaster park in years.

Still, I like it because it just as a kind of unique feeling compared to most other coasters.

Oh, and a fourth point;

- Watch your hands on the Mean Streak. Not only is it a seriously rickety cunt of a coaster, but some of the support beams are low enough that taller folk can get a nasty slap on the wrists. Reports of broken wrists trickle back to me from friends every now and then.

I don't get the Iron Dragon hate, either.

I always go on it before anything else. Not because it's my favorite (obviously), but because it's a nice coaster to get your blood flowing.

I always have to get in the right mindset before I jump on the bigger stuff, so Iron Dragon is a really good start.

Tenks said:
That doesn't really work that well on weekends. It works masterfully on weekdays. I worked at King's Island, which at the time was far less popular than Cedar Point, for 4 years and during nice weekends the park was jam packed the 1 hour time lull before rides even opened.

If I was an out-of-towner and really wanted to enjoy the park I'd personally try and go on a Tuesday. That seemed to be the least busy day of the week. I know that isn't always possible.
Last time I went on a Saturday, it worked just fine. If you get there when the park is opening, lines will be non-existent. Now how long that remains true is greatly impacted by the day of the week. But for at least 45 minutes, you have damn near free reign on any day of the week.

Retro

BertramCooper said:
I don't get the Iron Dragon hate, either.

I always go on it before anything else. Not because it's my favorite (obviously), but because it's a nice coaster to get your blood flowing.

I always have to get in the right mindset before I jump on the bigger stuff, so Iron Dragon is a really good start.

And the lines are short too. We usually went to the Iron Dragon a couple times during the day just because it's in a shady area at the middle of the park, so as you're walking between places you can check the lines and hop in them quick. Gemini is kind of the same way.

Gemini was usually the first thing we rode though, kind of a tradition to pick a color and then shout at eachother as they pass.

Man, this thread bump reminds me how disappointed I was to miss out on this awesome roller coaster park. I was in line for the Top Thrill Dragster(the first fuckin' line I got in) when the great East Coast blackout occurred. Everyone thought it was just gonna be a temporary thing, until we started getting news that it was a multi-state blackout. We left the park without riding a single ride.

I always wanted to go back, one day, but now I'm scared of the bedbug outbreak.

"Fuckin' thing sucks!"

Retro said:
And the lines are short too. We usually went to the Iron Dragon a couple times during the day just because it's in a shady area at the middle of the park, so as you're walking between places you can check the lines and hop in them quick. Gemini is kind of the same way.

Gemini was usually the first thing we rode though, kind of a tradition to pick a color and then shout at eachother as they pass.
I love all of the gigantic stuff, but Gemini is probably my favorite coaster in the park.

It's just so goddamned fun. I swear I could ride it 20 times a day and not get tired of it.

Macattk15

I absolutely loved my time there about 5 years ago. I want to go back. As stated ... Millenium Force is the best rollercoaster I have ever been on.

Top Thrill Dragster is cool, but I've been on several like it since then.

I'm sure there are new coasters there as well.

Is Iron Dragon the "stand-up" one with the thing wedged between your legs? I did not enjoy that as my head was slammed around and my balls were mashed during the ride.

edit : nevermind, Iron Dragon is the boring hanging cart one. It's not bad, good as a starter coaster.

Mantis is the one I was speaking of. Fuck that one.

Best theme park in the world, tied with Six Flags Magic Mountain

you'll want to get to Millennium Force and Top Thrill Dragster really quickly

also don't overlook Gemini, it's really fun.

Onegun

Neo Member
This brings back some memories. I haven't been to CP since they opened The Millenium force. I remember when it got dark they had a really crazy laser light show throughout the park, does anyone know if this is something they do often?

CrankyJay

Banned
Wife really wants me to take her here. She loves the place. I hate roller coasters though. I'm 6'2 about 200-205 pounds and I feel I am too big for them. False?

Tenks

CrankyJay said:
Wife really wants me to take her here. She loves the place. I hate roller coasters though. I'm 6'2 about 200-205 pounds and I feel I am too big for them. False?

False. That is only 3 inches taller than me and I've never felt remotely cramped.

Retro

BertramCooper said:
I love all of the gigantic stuff, but Gemini is probably my favorite coaster in the park.

It's just so goddamned fun. I swear I could ride it 20 times a day and not get tired of it.

Isn't it funny that certain rides just click? I love the big coasters as much as the next guy (actually, with my fear of heights, it's a love/hate thing), but some rides are just... perfect.

And then there are rides like the Corkscrew or Mean Streak where you swear you'll never ride them again because you swear they're ready to fall apart and no where near safe, even when they were new. I think I've ridden both of those maybe twice each.

Also, is the Demon Drop gone? I heard they had yanked it out for some gawdy monstrosity...

CrankyJay said:

My brother is 6'3" and heavily built (I wouldn't call him fat though, just very broad in the shoulders). He had trouble with the shoulder harness on the Raptor. I'm pretty sure they have seats before you get into the line to see if you fit (though when he went, some obnoxious shithead wouldn't get out of the chair for him to try).

Something to mull over, I guess.

CrankyJay said:
Nah, you'll be fine.

They started getting a lot more restrictive about overweight riders a few years ago, but unless you have really weird body proportions, 6'2/205 is perfectly fine.

Dude Abides said:
I would never go to Cedar Point on a weekend, especially a holiday weekend, or even a Friday.

This sounds absolutely crazy, but in 2007 my family and some family friends went to Cedar Point on Fourth of July weekend. We casually entered the park on Friday evening and there were literally no lines. The longest we waited to get on the big coasters was about twenty minutes, and that was for Magnum XL-200! We were all completely stunned and were wondering what was going on for there to be virtually no waiting. That was one of the best evenings I've had, and I've never had that kind of luck in an Amusement Park since.

CrankyJay

Banned
Tenks said:
False. That is only 3 inches taller than me and I've never felt remotely cramped.

I felt cramped in a few rides at Bush Gardens in Virginia. Ever since then I've been bothered by that. I have this unnatural fear of the bar not closing me all the way and me falling out of the coaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom