• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Celebrate Pride in Overwatch 2 event, + 2 more characters are gay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billbofet

Sometimes I get the impression that people think things have to be a zero-sum game between groups where one has to lose for the other to win, or that they are being attacked when others are celebrated. Not that this is relation to what you said, just an overall vibe from others. Seems hard to have a neutral "not my thing but good for them" attitude anymore. At least imo.
Agreed

Which is still an overreaction to showing support to a community that's had a very long history of being shit on. That it even garners a reaction at all shows why they do it.

No more than the sexuality of any other character in the history of gaming. No one has this reaction to a character's straight relationship, ever.

"It's ok to be gay, just don't let us know you are" is a pretty shit way of thinking.
OW1 didn't shove straight relationships down my throat, it's a video game I wasn't even thinking about their status or gender.

The fatigue is real.

Mercador

thierry-henry-trying-not-to-laugh-nxkais63bkn6dbca.gif
First time I see that gif, how he can do that ?!

Toons

Reducing their existence to an agenda is a part of the mistreatment yes.

Putting a gay character in something doesn't make it an agenda, but its still treated as such.

Even if they are barely even a part of said movie game or TV show.

This flag in game is optional, shouldn't be a problem for anyone here.

hemo memo

Gold Member
I'm gay and unless they're planning to do it for every single country they sell games in... Then they can fuck off.

What kind of message does this send?

"Let's celebrate LGBT people!!! ( Unless you find them offensive and if so ...sorry...forget we said anything)"
It sends a message that what you consider a “right” doesn’t apply to the entire world. You have the right to bear arms. Other countries ban them.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Reducing their existence to an agenda is a part of the mistreatment yes.

Putting a gay character in something doesn't make it an agenda, but its still treated as such.

Even if they are barely even a part of said movie game or TV show.

This flag in game is optional, shouldn't be a problem for anyone here.

Imagine defending rainbow capitalism.

Toons

I'm gay and unless they're planning to do it for every single country they sell games in... Then they can fuck off.

What kind of message does this send?

"Let's celebrate LGBT people!!! ( Unless you find them offensive and if so ...sorry...forget we said anything)"

They can't do it in some countries because some countries will literally sue them, for breaking the law, or shut their game down entirelyin the country, screwing over every player there. which should be the actual thing that's considered backwards about this.

Last edited:
Blizzard: We stand with our gay and trans allies

Blizzard: Well, not that much allies.
21st century corporate 'activism': 'as long as we don't actually have to get up off of our asses, & as long as you don't potentially threaten our bottom line, we are with you'...

Corian33

Yeah, no. Half of that 21% is women identifying as bisexual because it's trendy.
aK1N38Q.png

The real number is still around 10%, as in other countries.

I won’t speak to whether it’s “trendy” or not but it would seem we are seeing a shift in definitions more than a shift in reality.

My wife doesn’t consider herself to be bisexual or anything close to it, but told me she has kissed several of her female friends during high school/college (alcohol involved of course). I didn’t think much of it until one day I was at work and somehow the topic came up and literally 100% of my female coworkers (5-6 people) said they had kissed female friends before. Which kinda blew my mind to discover it was such a standard thing.

Ribi

The best chance for straight characters are Ana, and torbjorn because their daughters are in the game, and from what I remember aren’t adopted. That still doesn’t rule out the “leave your husband because I’ve felt gay for years” scenario.
"Now I know our fans have been wondering about the sexuality of some our our characters. Today we'd like to announce that after having pharah, Ana decided to denounce all men and became a proud lesbian single mom. Torb lost his wife but ended up marrying a handso young man to help him raise brig."

Lasha

Wasn't the intent of the pride flag to encompass everyone? The use of the entire spectrum of colours seems pretty blatant to me. But now that progress flag is filled with so many specific additions on top of "Everyone" that the part that is meant to include everyone is barely visible.

I'm not trying to go anywhere sinister with this, I just think it's a joke that the flag meant to include all peoples has an additional "Now featuring blacks and browns and more!" when they were already included by definition.

The original pride flag was symbolic. Each stripe represented an aspect of humanity and the collective message was of a united humanity. The progress flag is the result of generations raised on Harry Potter and sold on the idea of being arbitrarily sorted into immutable social constructs. It's become an abomination that reduces different groups of people to a stripe of color.

lmimmfn

FFS can't we leave people to just be whatever their sexuality without media forcing the latest BS trend down our throat?

My comment has nothing to do with gay/trans/whatever, it's simply about companies trying to milk the sexuality scene.

Shh

I won’t speak to whether it’s “trendy” or not but it would seem we are seeing a shift in definitions more than a shift in reality.

My wife doesn’t consider herself to be bisexual or anything close to it, but told me she has kissed several of her female friends during high school/college (alcohol involved of course). I didn’t think much of it until one day I was at work and somehow the topic came up and literally 100% of my female coworkers (5-6 people) said they had kissed female friends before. Which kinda blew my mind to discover it was such a standard thing.
It’s not a standard thing. They just all belong in horny jail.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned

How the fuck are they protecting players? I think they should really protect players from insults and hostile gamers, bots, etc instead of pretending to be proud of getting shafted. Hope the block takes out the whole game out of stores as exposure to these flags and shit will remain there.

Last edited:

Shh

How the fuck are they protecting players? I think they should real protect players from insults and hostile gamers, bots, etc instead of pretending to be proud of getting shafted. Hope the block takes out the whole game out as exposure to these flags and shit will still be there.
They've never protected anyone. The toxic gaming community is insanely rampant in Blizzard/Activision games. And the toxic work environment, which has led to the literal suicide of at least one of their employees with no repercussions, was swept under the rug with hush money. This is a garbage company that I wish would go bankrupt.

All this representation reminds me of a study from the 90s that concluded that the diversity in Mortal Kombat was highly problematic because it provided white men an opportunity to abuse minorities.
Do you want us to kill queer folx Blizzard?!

Nydius

As is always the case:

rGfWH2H.png

It's the same thing with Hollywood's recent obsession with race swapping characters. Nothing but pandering for money. They don't give a flying shit about LGBTQ or minority inclusion, they only care about how they can get them to spend more money on their products. If they really were LGBTQ allies, they'd stop doing business with countries that have extremely strict anti-LGBTQ policies. But none of them are going to cut out China and Saudi Arabia because they like money too much.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Major companies love to support LGBTQ+ people.

…until such time as they might lose money.

The fact so many members of the LGBTQ+ community let them get away with this is incredible.

But I guess calling JK Rowling a cunt is much easier than not playing Overwatch, or not supporting Activision Blizzard.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

They can't do it in some countries because some countries will literally sue them, for breaking the law, or shut their game down entirelyin the country, screwing over every player there. which should be the actual thing that's considered backwards about this.
My thing is to then not do it at all. Don't celebrate pride unless you can do it everywhere. It comes off as bollocks if you don't/can't.

Reactions: Fuz

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Major companies love to support LGBTQ+ people.

…until such time as they might lose money.

The fact so many members of the LGBTQ+ community let them get away with this is incredible.

But I guess calling JK Rowling a cunt is much easier than not playing Overwatch, or not supporting Activision Blizzard.
Yup.

It's all about the money.

No different than a lot of company's big push for eco-friendly shit in a green box or bottle. Big PR push how great it is and how the company is trying to be global saviour of landfills and lakes. But the second any of these kinds of items have crap sales we discontinue it. No different than a regular item. The sales and profit analysis are the exact same methodology. The only difference is the marketing angle to the public.

My company has done its share of discontinuing eco products too because in every category we made some they are always among the worst ranked sellers.

Last edited:

sigmaZ

HOW DARE THEY HAVE LGBT+XYZ month before they have an event for the disabled. I'm appalled that none of the characters are in wheelchairs or have establish mental disabilities. Blizzard is a bunch of bigots!!

Toons

My thing is to then not do it at all. Don't celebrate pride unless you can do it everywhere. It comes off as bollocks if you don't/can't.

So they should bend the lnee to oppressive regimes that restrict the freedom of their citizens?

Something tells me you dotn actually feel like way and wouldn't be saying that under different circumstances.

Because that's crazy talk.

Toons

I find the whole "rainbow capitalism" argument funny.

Not because I disagree with it. Irs absolutely a real thing. But rainbow capitalism is an unnecessary term. It's literally just capitalism, doing what capitalism is designed to do.

"Rainbow capitalism" is a term liberals came up with to single out things regarding LGBT issues and how they function under capitalism. And oddly enough it seems to be the only one ongoing critique of capitalism that gets accepted by both sides of the fence.

mcjmetroid

So they should bend the lnee to oppressive regimes that restrict the freedom of their citizens?

Something tells me you dotn actually feel like way and wouldn't be saying that under different circumstances.

Because that's crazy talk.
If you're a company and want to be sincere the celebration of gay lesbian and trans people etc.. it shouldn't be restricted per region. If you're not willing to do it everywhere then don't do it.

That's my point in short, I have no idea what else you're on about here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom